Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

JazzFlight posted:

Meh, he could have killed himself at a lot of times in ADWD to end it all. I don't care a bit for him.

Speaking of unsympathetic character choices in ADWD:
why did GRRM have to make Tyrion essentially rape the slave prostitute woman? Sure, she was a "prostitute," but she wasn't getting paid and he repeatedly confirms that she doesn't want to have sex with him.

Ahem, Symon the Singer brought by Bronn to the bowl of brown, murdering Shae, murdering his father (though that's the most sympathetic of his malevolent decisions). If bad acts make someone unsympathetic, he hadn't been sympathetic for ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Fearless posted:

I still don't feel bad for Cersei.

Cersai is a monster, but if you look at her whole backstory, you realize that the world she lives in really didn't give her much of a choice; she could be a monster or she could be a slab of meat dragged around by her husband, like say, Fat Walda, except she'd be aware of that fact. If she'd had some sort of opportunity to be better and chosen to be worse, she'd have no sympathy at all, but as is? This is really made clear in the flashback where her possible marriage to Rhaegar was called off because of head games between her father and mad king Aerys, after she'd had her head filled with promises she'd be his wife, leaving her to feel like she wasn't good enough or spoiled in some way. She had no choice or voice in the matter; she was pushed around and was cursed to have enough IQ to eventually see the hands. The world made her as much as she did, ergo I do think she deserves some sympathy.

Except for the incest. That's ALL her.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Cornwind Evil posted:

Cersai is a monster, but if you look at her whole backstory, you realize that the world she lives in really didn't give her much of a choice; she could be a monster or she could be a slab of meat dragged around by her husband, like say, Fat Walda, except she'd be aware of that fact. If she'd had some sort of opportunity to be better and chosen to be worse, she'd have no sympathy at all, but as is? This is really made clear in the flashback where her possible marriage to Rhaegar was called off because of head games between her father and mad king Aerys, after she'd had her head filled with promises she'd be his wife, leaving her to feel like she wasn't good enough or spoiled in some way. She had no choice or voice in the matter; she was pushed around and was cursed to have enough IQ to eventually see the hands. The world made her as much as she did, ergo I do think she deserves some sympathy.

Except for the incest. That's ALL her.

And also murdering, while a child, her best friend because of the prophecy a fortune teller told them

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

And also murdering, while a child, her best friend because of the prophecy a fortune teller told them
Murdering because of said incest, no less.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait, what? In which book was that indicated? I might have missed it, like the subtle hinting of Renly and Loras' relationship in the first two books; it took the TV Series being more explicit for me to clue in on that.. Can I get a specific quote?

Because if that's true, yeah, gently caress her. She's an absolute monster and deserves everything she's gotten and more. It's one thing to be shaped by cruel circumstances, it's another to murder a child and friend AS a child, for ANY reason. Once you do that, you're damned.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Cornwind Evil posted:

Wait, what? In which book was that indicated? I might have missed it, like the subtle hinting of Renly and Loras' relationship in the first two books; it took the TV Series being more explicit for me to clue in on that.. Can I get a specific quote?

Because if that's true, yeah, gently caress her. She's an absolute monster and deserves everything she's gotten and more. It's one thing to be shaped by cruel circumstances, it's another to murder a child and friend AS a child, for ANY reason. Once you do that, you're damned.

AFFC. It's probably a bit more subtle than Renly and Loras, if only because there aren't as many opportunities to pick up on it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Cersei is fascinating because her response to living in such a misogynistic, patriarchal culture is to internalize everything it throws at her. She loving hates that she was born female and clearly despises all other women. To be honest, I feel like that's a much more realistic response to living in a society that is constantly making GBS threads on you than rejecting what it tells you and rebelling against it. I really appreciate how GRRM created a character like Cersei (and now that I think about it, Catelyn) while also including more traditional postmodern female characters like Asha and Arya.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So I just finished A Game of Thrones, being my first incursion into the awesome, awesome universe that is ASOIAF.
And here I was, thinking I would hate the series. Hell, I enjoyed it a lot more than The Lord of the Rings!

As a funny fact, I tend to forget about descriptions partway through a book, so I kept imagining the Spider as a slim, tall man. :downs:

And yeah, people should really stay away from anything book-related while they are reading. Just some idle browsing spoiled me some surprises - deaths, mostly. :v:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it's easy to get spoiled on some of the deaths. Hell, you can't even read anything about the sequels or even the series in general without being spoiled on the most plot-centric ones.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I was lucky. I had heard a term that related to a color and occasion, but I had no idea of its context. Heck, while reading the books, I kind of hoped it was going to happen at JOFFREY's wedding and kill HIM, based on the fact that one of the Lannister colors is red. Which didn't exactly turn out as expected.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Cornwind Evil posted:

I was lucky. I had heard a term that related to a color and occasion, but I had no idea of its context. Heck, while reading the books, I kind of hoped it was going to happen at JOFFREY's wedding and kill HIM, based on the fact that one of the Lannister colors is red. Which didn't exactly turn out as expected.

Well, I suppose you could call it the purple wedding...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

While I'm waiting for the second book to arrive, I've been reading some chapters again. And I can't believe I forgot about the following:

GoT spoilers:
Was Bran's assassination attempt ever clarified? Or is it resolved in the later books?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Azran posted:

GoT spoilers:
Was Bran's assassination attempt ever clarified? Or is it resolved in the later books?
This is resolved at some point in the later books. I can't remember where, specifically.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This is resolved at some point in the later books. I can't remember where, specifically.
ASoS. Joffrey heard Robert say something about everyone being too sissy to put the boy out of his misery and in a bizarre attempt to please his "father" sent the assassin with a random dagger from the pile.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The person who asked the question had only finished AGOT. They only wanted to know whether AGOT answered the question.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

The person who asked the question had only finished AGOT. They only wanted to know whether AGOT answered the question.

Technically, yeah. But even though spoilers are basically anathema to ASOIAF, I gotta give credit to GRRM - even if you spoil yourself on the WHAT happens, most of the time you can still read on and be surprised by the WHY or HOW. :v:

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
You know, I absolutely loving adore google sometimes.

So I'm nearly done with Clash of Kings, and as I'm reading I spontaneously wonder what the actor who plays Roose Bolton looks like. I type his name into google and the third MOTHERFUCKING suggested search is "Roose Bolton kills Robb Stark".

A coworker told me that it's a major event in the overall story, and I just want someone to reassure me that I have plenty of other "holy poo poo" moments to look forward to.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Hah.
Haha.
Hahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha.

No, that was totally the only thing that ever happens. You might as well never read any of the other books.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Doppelganger posted:

A coworker told me that it's a major event in the overall story, and I just want someone to reassure me that I have plenty of other "holy poo poo" moments to look forward to.

There are definitely more surprises for you, but that is one of the biggest ones of the series. I view spoilers differently because the buildup is much more significant than the outcome, in my view. Your coworker told you a fact but it will catch you off guard as far as how it happens, who does it, who goes with him, how it is done, etc...

Keep reading because ASOIAF is the best fantasy series.

pr0p fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 18, 2012

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I had the outline of that event spoiled and the book is no less :asoiaf: because of it. Well I suppose most people threw their books across the room, while I couldn't put it down afterwards.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I was fully spoiled about said event before going into it, and *still* threw the book across the room and was left depressed for days after reading it. In this case it's all about the execution, that's what makes it so powerful.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

A Storm of Swords owns because every plot thread on the go finishes on a great "oh gently caress" moment at the end of the book.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Doppelganger posted:

So I'm nearly done with Clash of Kings, and as I'm reading I spontaneously wonder what the actor who plays Roose Bolton looks like. I type his name into google and the third MOTHERFUCKING suggested search is "Roose Bolton kills Robb Stark".

If it makes you feel any better, its not quite that simple...

Let this serve as a WARNING TO ALL READING THE FIRST TIME. Do not search for ANYTHING regarding the series, you will be inadvertently spoiled. Even the search for at the moment "Let's read" threads will unveil things you didn't want to see.

For example I wanted some background info I missed on Tyrion. Before I even started ACOK and...
ASOS spoiler
and autocompleted was "Tyrion marries Sansa"

Hell, I just watched a random music video and got major Walking Dead deaths spoiled in the freaking comments section. morons kept thumbs uping it

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 19, 2012

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Doppelganger posted:

Well, thats not exactly what happens, so you still have a a few :asoiaf: moments coming up in regards to what actually goes down.

Edit: Thats probably the most aptly named smilie on SA!

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 19, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doppelganger posted:

If it's any consolation that doesn't actually happen.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Doppelganger posted:

Keep reading, the other books are amazing.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I thought I read it here, but I cannot find it again.

What page does Dance with Dragons meet AFFC's story line (the two catch up)? I have the standard paperback.

I just read to the wedding in winterfell and the next chapter seems to be back in Dorne.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aero737 posted:

I thought I read it here, but I cannot find it again.

What page does Dance with Dragons meet AFFC's story line (the two catch up)? I have the standard paperback.

I just read to the wedding in winterfell and the next chapter seems to be back in Dorne.

It's whenever you see the chapters that feature POVs from AFFC, I think (it's either a Jaime or Cercei chapter ).

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

It's whenever you see the chapters that feature POVs from AFFC, I think (it's either a Jaime or Cercei chapter ).

Unless i'm mistaken, I think it was Areo Hotah's chapter that merges the timelines? Page 500, though the POV is titled The Watcher

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The first AFFC POV to appear in ADWD is Asha but the first chapter set after the end of AFFC is Arya's.

e: Scratch that, I guess it is Areo's.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 19, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
From what I recall, it's about page 592 in Dance where Dance goes past AFFC.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

The thing about Renly:

I think the books have more time to flesh out his character before he is killed. Martin can be more subtle about relationships because there is ample time before and after Renly's death to drop hints about the subject. With the tv show, if they didn't explicitly show a few things, I don't know if people would have an appreciation for all the things going on around Renly so they took a few minutes out of some episodes to just show it to you and then they could move on to other things. I like the way it's dropped in the book a lot better. It shows you what the culture is like and, in almost keeping it a secret from even the reader, makes you appreciate how much of a secret their relationship was to all but a few people who sort of read between the lines.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I wasn't sure if there was a thread where I could post this. I just really needed somewhere to vent and not spoil everything for everyone.

I just want to say that the middle of Book 3 is the greatest amount of horseshit and makes me want to stop reading, and my only hope is that now Snow will run the loving show.

Please tell me it warrants continuing to read.

quote:

If it's any consolation that doesn't actually happen.

And if its not any consolation at all what actually happens is way worse and makes me loving furious.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 16, 2012

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

OrganGrinder posted:

I wasn't sure if there was a thread where I could post this. I just really needed somewhere to vent and not spoil everything for everyone.

I just want to say that the middle of Book 3 is the greatest amount of horseshit and makes me want to stop reading, and my only hope is that now Snow will run the loving show.

And if its not any consolation at all what actually happens is way worse and makes me loving furious.

Keep reading. You'll be glad you did.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

OrganGrinder posted:

Finish book 3 at least, maybe consult a guide for reading 4 and 5 at once so that their chapters line up better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about Dany and Cersai's chapters being much better when read one after the other to contrast their ruling styles.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Maarak posted:

Finish book 3 at least, maybe consult a guide for reading 4 and 5 at once so that their chapters line up better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about Dany and Cersai's chapters being much better when read one after the other to contrast their ruling styles.
That's true, Cersei's chapters are the best ones in AFFC by a country mile and among the greatest in the whole series. They're the only ones from that book I revisit frequently, when read in succession they make for a downright brilliant novella all on their own. Epic rivalry with the usurping Margaery, legal entanglements with the Faith, subsequent tragic downfall... It's such a thrilling and ingeniously plotted arc.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

OrganGrinder posted:

Please elaborate on why it is horseshit.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Urdnot Fire posted:

Please elaborate on why it is horseshit.

It wasn't horse poo poo in as much as it makes perfect sense for the sequence of events to happen, and the whole book was building to this kind of climax. It was horseshit because Robb deserved much better than that, and all this after the author actually made me feel kind of bad and sympathetic for Jamie. Its an emotional roller coaster, and if the books have taught nothing else its no one gets what they deserve, thusfar. Especially my homie Tyrion. And I swear to the old gods if he dies I will rant on every forum on the internet.

The consensus is that I should keep reading, and I will. Are books 4/5 so chronologically bizzaire that there will be an actual need for the guide?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
AFFC and ADWD started life as a single book that grew too large for a single volume, so GRRM split their content along geographic lines to keep his publisher happy. It's not incomprehensible as published, but it's far from ideal. The thing that really ticked off readers was the author's note at the very end of AFFC, which is more or less an IOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

OrganGrinder posted:

Are books 4/5 so chronologically bizzaire that there will be an actual need for the guide?

Nah. Some say they read better, but you can generally piece together the timeline. Around halfway through ADWD starts going beyond the timeline of AFFC.

• Locked thread