Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That... what the hell. So what about the people buying this who don't have a Wii? Time to buy new remotes too?

I guess so, but since the Wii has a global install base of nearly 100 million by now they figured it's a better idea to drive the Wii U's price as low as possible by not packing in a remote that some people won't need and let non Wii owners toss in another $40 for a Remote Plus.

E: Though I am surprised they aren't offering a Starter Kit like they are in Japan (Controller, Nunchuk, and Sensor Bar for one price.) Japan's consoles don't even get the sensor bar packed in!

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Its $40 x 2 since you cant play 2 players on screen with the gamepad plus a wii remote. Really stupid on their part that the largest game on release doesn't fully support all the controller types.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This was already posted but probably deserves repeating now... You can buy Flingsmash for the Wii at Toys R Us for $25 dollars and it comes with a Wii Motion+ remote. They are also doing buy 1 get one 40% off, but online it only allows you to buy 1 flingsmash. Another goon mentioned avoiding the limit by going directly to the store I believe:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870696&prodFindSrc=search#findItInStore

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Posting from the front of a line at KMart. They literally only have 2 wii us in stock. Hope they have the deluxe :ohdear:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

katkillad2 posted:

This was already posted but probably deserves repeating now... You can buy Flingsmash for the Wii at Toys R Us for $25 dollars and it comes with a Wii Motion+ remote. They are also doing buy 1 get one 40% off, but online it only allows you to buy 1 flingsmash. Another goon mentioned avoiding the limit by going directly to the store I believe:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870696&prodFindSrc=search#findItInStore

Pulled the trigger on this, thanks. Looking forward to fling smashing the game into the bin.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I bought Flingsmash for 30 Euro a couple months ago and managed to resell the game for a whopping 3 Euro!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I was in Meier this morning, and although I already have a Wii U on schedule for delivery tomorrow, I decided to swing by the electronics section for shits and giggles (and to potentially get the huge rear end day one update out of the way early). Anyway, they were of course sold out, but their entire allotment was only a measly 10 systems (6 standard, 4 deluxe). For reference, this is the same Meier that had 80 odd Wiis for sale back on the 2006 launch. I don't know if there's any conclusions to be drawn from this, but Nintendo's claims of having adequate stock on hand to meet demand are starting to sound like a load of bullshit. Good luck to those of you pounding the pavement this morning.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
I'm debating running the update first, or playing games first. Our wireless isn't the best but I don't think it'll take FOREVER. And I want to secure my Nintendo ID. But I also want to start playing the games I got when I get home.

Decisions decisions.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone managed to transfer their Wii content from a system that was Homebrew in the past? Also anyone try transferring a second Wii over?

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
So, does anyone have some general first impressions? How go the games, anyone tried the eShop ones? What's the Gamepad like (there's no demo booths in shops near here)? How long did it take for Miiverse to go to poo poo with subtle penis drawings?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Local toys r us got 25 units in and only 3 were the black one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Introvert posted:

So, does anyone have some general first impressions? How go the games, anyone tried the eShop ones? What's the Gamepad like (there's no demo booths in shops near here)? How long did it take for Miiverse to go to poo poo with subtle penis drawings?

No one would ever draw something so crude as a wang on a nintendo system!
I want some normal "hands on" with Zombie U impressions badly.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
The Super Walmart in my town had 8 units, 4 regular and 4 deluxe. Has anyone been anywhere that got more than a handful of these things?

Edit - Ok, 25 at Toys r Us, but only 3 deluxe?

Historically what's the best way to get a game system that has a shortage? Stalk the stores or order online and wait?

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 18, 2012

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Legdiian posted:

The Super Walmart in my town had 8 units, 4 regular and 4 deluxe. Has anyone been anywhere that got more than a handful of these things?

The guy at Target told me they got like 20, but didn't mention how many were preorders or regular/deluxe.

Targets open at 8 a.m. too, by the way, for anyone looking to get started before Gamestop/Best Buy opens.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

No one would ever draw something so crude as a wang on a nintendo system!
I want some normal "hands on" with Zombie U impressions badly.

Giant Bomb's QL is up, Patrick really likes it, but apparently the controls have some sort of delay on them that makes it feel like crap, which he doesn't mention, because he's dumb and thinks it fits with the game.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I'm about to head out the door to try my preorder at Best Buy. Still can't decide between Black Ops and Zombiu, guess I'll shoot from the hip when I get in line.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

katkillad2 posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, I just heard that the Wiimotes need to be the Motion Plus which is super lovely, but if it turns out mine aren't compatible I'd much prefer paying $25 each than $40.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Has anyone had a chance to try out the system's media playback capabilities? I'm curious about whether or not it will natively play MKV files, either through a USB thumb drive or streamed somehow.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This console seems specifically designed to cause fist fights amongst 8-13 year olds.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I just checked walmart.com for inventory and it looks like a Walmart about 30 minutes away from here has them in stock. I just ordered one for pick up in store. Let's hope that works and I get a message soon saying "your order is ready"!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I waited in line for an hour in front of a KMart. As I feared, they only had 2 8gig Wii Us. I was crushed, and left in shame.

Walmart had a deal on their website which I missed by a minute! I looked at the "Site to Store" thing on the Wii Us page, and found some in stock in a nearby city. Officially purchased a Wii U Deluxe :radcat:

Anyone who is still looking for Wii Us I'd give walmarts website a try!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Has anyone had a chance to try out the system's media playback capabilities? I'm curious about whether or not it will natively play MKV files, either through a USB thumb drive or streamed somehow.

Looks like my yelling out my car window at the Nintendo offices didn't work. I'm so sorry.

shadowobsessed posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, I just heard that the Wiimotes need to be the Motion Plus which is super lovely, but if it turns out mine aren't compatible I'd much prefer paying $25 each than $40.

This is only for some of the games in Nintendo Land.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shadowobsessed posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, I just heard that the Wiimotes need to be the Motion Plus which is super lovely.

It means they can (somewhat) gurantee decent motion control in games that use wiimotes, rather than having to consider MotionPlus an accessory. drat, I just realised this means only my gold Skyward Sword wiimote (with gold Club Nintendo nunchuck :smuggo:) will be compatible when I get my WiiU in a few weeks. At least I won't have to entirely retire my original wiimotes - I'll still need them to play gamecube games on my Wii.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 18, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Looks like my yelling out my car window at the Nintendo offices didn't work. I'm so sorry.
If you had only yelled louder!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So after waiting an hour for this thing to download the update and apply it, a couple friends and I had a decent amount of fun with Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion (forgot the name) and the ZombiU multiplayer. The screen on the tablet is great and poo poo looks fantastic on it, and the Pro U controller I got is pretty good too but it's loving throwing all of us off having to go down to hit the button on the left side rather than up, like every other dual sticked controller ever.

Now it's probably going to collect dust until Pikmin 3 or Monster Hunter are released.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Liku posted:

So after waiting an hour for this thing to download the update and apply it, a couple friends and I had a decent amount of fun with Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion (forgot the name) and the ZombiU multiplayer. The screen on the tablet is great and poo poo looks fantastic on it, and the Pro U controller I got is pretty good too but it's loving throwing all of us off having to go down to hit the button on the left side rather than up, like every other dual sticked controller ever.

Now it's probably going to collect dust until Pikmin 3 or Monster Hunter are released.

An hour eh? Maybe I'll do the update before I start playing games then.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Looked around a bit in my town but definitely not getting one before my white one gets shipped here. Walmart had a big sign saying Sorry we do not have enough Wii U's to fulfill preorders and futureshop said they got 4. Everywhere else that said they were getting some got none. Didn't check ebgames because there was no point, I already know they have a huge waiting list.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

shadowobsessed posted:

Depending on tax it'll be around ~$42-43, I did this last night. $25 for the first copy, $15 for the second plus tax. And FlingSmash isn't a bad casual game to toy around with now and then either.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Dracon Wolf posted:

I just checked walmart.com for inventory and it looks like a Walmart about 30 minutes away from here has them in stock. I just ordered one for pick up in store. Let's hope that works and I get a message soon saying "your order is ready"!

Just got my confirmation.

Any of you that want one, try this method. I'm going to pick it up now. Nice not to have to wait in a line like I did for 12 hours with the Wii!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

shadowobsessed posted:

... You need the motion plus Wiimotes to play stuff like New Super Mario WiiU?

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008
http://www.twitch.tv/hecqubus ZombieU stream is going to start soon.

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

So Do I get my Digital Deluxe Promotion right off the bat? like is it pre-installed in the WiiU? Not really seeing it anywhere on my black wiiu to put in a code or anything, nor anything in the shop proper to indicate I have a promotion.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Gamestop had extra black units and allowed me to upgrade my order. Breakfast time while this drat thing updates.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

You need them for some of the Nintendoland minigames but I think NSMBWU is fine with the standard ones.

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

So Do I get my Digital Deluxe Promotion right off the bat? like is it pre-installed in the WiiU? Not really seeing it anywhere on my black wiiu to put in a code or anything, nor anything in the shop proper to indicate I have a promotion.

From what I remember from the prerelease info the official site for the promotion would be up in December but it would retroactively count any purchases made before then. I linked my console with my Club Nintendo account and it recognized it as the Deluxe immediately.

E: From ddp.nintendo.com:

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This is only for some of the games in Nintendo Land.

Oh, that's a little bit better. Still, I'm worried that more titles in the future will require it so I should probably just get two wiimotes now.

CubsWoo posted:

Depending on tax it'll be around ~$42-43, I did this last night. $25 for the first copy, $15 for the second plus tax. And FlingSmash isn't a bad casual game to toy around with now and then either.

I definitely like paying the price of one for both. This is a much preferable solution because THE RENT IS TOO DAM- the controller prices are too damned high.

I'm not sure, they said it was for only some Nintendo Land games up there, but I honestly don't know if any other games require it or not. I'm getting two new wiimotes just in case.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Walked into Target a half hour after they opened, they had one 8GB Wii U left. I passed.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

So for those of us whose internet is utter poo poo and have to go to a friend's place to update the system, I can still play games without the update first, right?

Right? :ohdear:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Cherokee Jack posted:

So for those of us whose internet is utter poo poo and have to go to a friend's place to update the system, I can still play games without the update first, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Yes, as long as they're Wii U retail discs.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Has anyone else tried registering this on Club Nintendo? I linked my accounts and put in the serial number on the site, but it says to complete a registration survey that I don't have in order to complete the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Anybody know if the Wii LAN adapters work on the WiiU as well? I have a 3rd party adapter I have for the Wii that works fine.

• Locked thread