Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cobweb Heart posted:

Quick, easy idea for Chris if he still wants money: Illustrate some episodes from the characters' blogs, like Pat chewing out Cornelius for insulting Rod. Then sell it as a book. There are probably still a ton of people who haven't read the blogs yet, and it's a lot easier than coming up with new ideas.

Whoa, man. Back that entitlement complex up. Who are you to give "The 'Stead" advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
God I miss this webcomic. There isn't anything webcomic wise to fill that Roast Beef shaped hole in my heart.

Not going to finish chewing this toast :smith:.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I wish he'd put out books for everything up until that godawful High School story.

everything before that, needs to be in print form so just when the website goes down it's not all lost to the sands of time. Or bits of time. whatever.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

SeanBeansShako posted:

God I miss this webcomic. There isn't anything webcomic wise to fill that Roast Beef shaped hole in my heart.

Not going to finish chewing this toast :smith:.

IF YOU ONLY DO ONE THING TODAY YOU NEED TO EAT SOME GOD DAMNED PEANUT BUTTER

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I wish Onstad would sell shirts again. I want my "I'M THE GUY WHO SUCKS, PLUS I GOT DEPRESSION" shirt. :smith:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

WickedIcon posted:

I wish Onstad would sell shirts again. I want my "I'M THE GUY WHO SUCKS, PLUS I GOT DEPRESSION" shirt. :smith:

I have one of those and I outgrew it. I'm trying to lose some weight so it'll fit again. Same with my "Here comes a special boy!" hoodie. I was skinny in college.

Edit: I really wish I could wear it again, because I actually do have depression now, as opposed to when I bought it.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
https://twitter.com/culturepulp/status/266649750827311104

This made me irrationally happy, probably because the referenced comic is probably in my top 3 Achewoods.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MondayHotDog posted:

I have one of those and I outgrew it. I'm trying to lose some weight so it'll fit again. Same with my "Here comes a special boy!" hoodie. I was skinny in college.

Edit: I really wish I could wear it again, because I actually do have depression now, as opposed to when I bought it.
You should have bought a "Who's Fat? I Am" shirt one size up, just in case.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MondayHotDog posted:

Just decided to go back and read the archives after not following since probably 2008. It's made me remember that Achewood is basically the funniest thing ever and I have no idea why I ever quit reading it.

You probably quit reading it because there was nothing left to read.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loving Life Partner posted:

https://twitter.com/culturepulp/status/266649750827311104

This made me irrationally happy, probably because the referenced comic is probably in my top 3 Achewoods.

I will always love Ray battle-rapping Lil' Nephew to the point that LN burst into tears.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

You should have bought a "Who's Fat? I Am" shirt one size up, just in case.

Mine is now too small for me, too. :btroll:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
why are you people still posting in this thread, there is no such thing as achewood

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
A guy I know on the Internet got married a few months back and got an enlarged photo of the wedding strip from Onstad to use as his Card People Sign At The Wedding: http://chattypics.com/files/droidUpload_cxqjik0pfx.jpg

Find the one person who got the reference for a no-prize!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Deathlove posted:

A guy I know on the Internet got married a few months back and got an enlarged photo of the wedding strip from Onstad to use as his Card People Sign At The Wedding: http://chattypics.com/files/droidUpload_cxqjik0pfx.jpg

Find the one person who got the reference for a no-prize!

HI

YES

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know, while the path of fantasy-casting lies madness, I can only picture Cornelius being voiced by Patrick Stewart.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

My Dude and Catastrophe hoodie is still holding together, though I don't know if I will ever be able to replace it now.

Thankfully, my pint glass is still intact.

Onstad writes restaurant reviews for the local weekly -- there was some drama a few weeks ago about one of them but it may have been an old guy yelling at a cloud.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedIcon posted:

You know, while the path of fantasy-casting lies madness, I can only picture Cornelius being voiced by Patrick Stewart.

Really? I'm imagining more of a Stephen Fry, myself.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jet Jaguar posted:

My Dude and Catastrophe hoodie is still holding together, though I don't know if I will ever be able to replace it now.

Thankfully, my pint glass is still intact.

Onstad writes restaurant reviews for the local weekly -- there was some drama a few weeks ago about one of them but it may have been an old guy yelling at a cloud.

Are you referring to the comments on this article?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Are you referring to the comments on this article?

More and more it seems like if I want to live in any semblance of culture in this country, I have to move to Portland.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

I can't not picture his dialogue delivered in the same way as Picard's.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Loving Life Partner posted:

More and more it seems like if I want to live in any semblance of culture in this country, I have to move to Portland.

I don't know where you live now, but I haven't found this to be the case.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Was there ever any update on people getting refunds for the Cookbook number 2?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I always imagined Cornelius as Alistaire Cooke. He was a classy guy.

The show even nailed Cornelius' room. The dude has a martini and a very generous glass of wine going at the same time.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So... what happened to Onstad? Does anyone know? Did he just burn out and give up, or what?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Chiming in on MerchTalk, I still have the Rabbit Ambulance keyfob I bought 7 years ago. It's chipped to poo poo and I fear every day that the link will break or I lose my keys, but I still have the drat thing on my car keys ever since I bought it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

bgaesop posted:

So... what happened to Onstad? Does anyone know? Did he just burn out and give up, or what?

A divorce will suck the life out of any man.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Fruits of the sea posted:

I always imagined Cornelius as Alistaire Cooke. He was a classy guy.

The show even nailed Cornelius' room. The dude has a martini and a very generous glass of wine going at the same time.

haha, yes you are exactly right. Definitely Cooke.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Javid posted:

A divorce will suck the life out of any man.

Didn't he also lose a lot of invested money?
I understand the guy for not wanting to share his life with the internet but I think he handled it in the worst way possible. People would have given a lot for a little if he didn't skip out on the cookbook and never talked about it anymore. But I guess you do what you can when you're from circumstances. Also depression

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm certainly not defending his decision to abandon his projects and defraud his fans, but a contested divorce with a kid involved is probably one of the worst wringers you can be put through emotionally.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I had no idea that had happened. Or that he had intended and failed to make a second cookbook. Huh.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

bgaesop posted:

Yeah, I had no idea that had happened. Or that he had intended and failed to make a second cookbook. Huh.

He took pre-orders for said second cookbook, never made it and as far as I know he never refunded anyone. It didn't happen to me so maybe that's not accurate but it seems like some goons that post ITT had it happen to them. Confirm/deny?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

That's basically what happened, yeah. It was only like 12 bucks, so it's not like any of us were out vast fortunes, but after something like two years of waiting for the second cookbook and continually hearing, "Hey, it's almost done!" all references to it got removed from the website (along with other merch stuff, so not the cookbook specifically) and all things Achewood started to slow to the trickle we know today.

Of course, nobody knew about the divorce thing then and he wasn't talking about it, so there was some heavy backlash because the whole thing seemed pretty shady. Onstad even stopped posting here, which is understandable but certainly didn't help at all.

I just wish there were more Dark Horse volumes. There is nothing not good about those except that there are only three.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

WickedIcon posted:

I can't not picture his dialogue delivered in the same way as Picard's.

Works for me. My only constant is that I hear Ray with Tracy Morgan's voice.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

I'm certainly not defending his decision to abandon his projects and defraud his fans, but a contested divorce with a kid involved is probably one of the worst wringers you can be put through emotionally.

on top of that, a man cannot write depression as well and as accurately as Onstad does without knowing it personally.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
He really should have ended it as a regular comic on May 4, 2010. I would say April 22 (:qq:) but it still takes a couple strips after that to tie off the Philippe storyline.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Also right after all references to the cookbook disappeared and the merch store went down he went on vacation to disneyworld and tweeted about how awesome it was, which didn't win him any fans.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Considering the future of Achewood is ...fragile, at best, and with the scare over achewood.com being down for a day recently I feel I should get back on my project.

There are a few Dark Horse collections of the strips, but it only covers up to a point. Anyone have suggestions for saving strips, along with the Alt Text? Right now, I am looking at saving each one manually and saving the alt text in a .txt file with the strips date attached to it.

I would like to take the strips, print them out on good paper and bind them into books for my own enjoyment, as seen in the BSS binding thread.

I do not expect Onstad to come back to this. I expect him to pointedly ignore Achewood, as he would have to admit mistakes and wrongdoing, and god forbid he own up to mistakes.

god I hope I'm wrong :smith:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I couldn't personally do it, but I can't imagine it being too difficult for someone to script up a thing to start at the first strip, save the image + text, hit the 'next' link, and repeat. Having it add the alt text to the image itself might even be doable.

I remember there being a "request quick easy software" thread in SH/SC at one point, you might try there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

Javid posted:

I couldn't personally do it, but I can't imagine it being too difficult for someone to script up a thing to start at the first strip, save the image + text, hit the 'next' link, and repeat.
I just did this! I now have a text file containing 1688 alt-texts and the dates they appeared.