Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Irisi posted:

I'll bet it's not the thing they're saying, but the tone of voice, or the expression they have whilst they're saying it.

Sometimes a perfectly innocuous word like "bath" or "delightful" or "kitten" can be rendered very creepy or odd by non-verbal signals and it's enough for a girls' brain to just go "Nope!" and smack that little light off.

The problem is in that situation it's the relative saying it. So any non-verbal put-offs would just be against the guys family member. All they know is that the dude enjoys a bath occasionally.

I don't begrudge the girls for being picky but sometimes they go beyond that and turn their lights off if the guy isn't 100% their ideal guy. 99.9% isn't enough.

It makes for amusing, if cringe worthy, viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Did anyone listen to the first Adam and Edith show? How badly did it pale against ...and Joe?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

A version with lots of men would probably just be depressing. "I don't really like cooking or cleaning to be honest" *half the lights go out*

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Xachariah posted:

I know someone who was on it, she was basically told to go on a date with someone soon because she had been on too long and wasn't getting enough face time. So she had to go for the next guy regardless of whether she really wanted to.

Well, not too bad, you get a free holiday right? Whoever said they think Lois is a plant I reckon you're right, they give her a lot of screen time, and then I realised I'd heard her voice before... she's Boycie.

Take me out is the only thing I watch on ITV, I don't know why I just can't look away.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Pablo Bluth posted:

Did anyone listen to the first Adam and Edith show? How badly did it pale against ...and Joe?
I was posting about it in the BBC podcast thread. It's two strangers in a room with nothing to talk about. It was not particularly good.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I want to listen to it, but at the same time I don't want to sour the memory of one of my all time favourite things. Change frightens me,

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Xachariah posted:

The problem is in that situation it's the relative saying it. So any non-verbal put-offs would just be against the guys family member. All they know is that the dude enjoys a bath occasionally.

Ah right. That's just weird then. Yet strangely hilarious, like so much of Take Me Out.

Also, this Secret of Crickley Hall thing on BBC1 just now is a bit rubbish, I'm disappointed. I like a good ghost story, but not even Suranne Jones can liven this up.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jonnty posted:

A version with lots of men would probably just be depressing. "I don't really like cooking or cleaning to be honest" *half the lights go out*
a male panel to woman contestant would be too hard to edit down to a show safe from headlines about sexism.
surprised they've not done a gay episode yet

Crankit posted:

Well, not too bad, you get a free holiday right?
the holidays look poo poo though. whose idea of a date is rock climbing or a workout on the beach? then awkward dinner in a restaurant with no other customers so early it's still light out.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Cerv posted:

the holidays look poo poo though. whose idea of a date is rock climbing or a workout on the beach? then awkward dinner in a restaurant with no other customers so early it's still light out.

Honestly I was joking, the time you spend... wherever must be 2 days and most of the time will probably have a camera and soundman faffing and saying "OK guys we're gonna reshoot that" in addition to the fact some of the contestants must have to travel for each recording.

Can Xachariah ask the friend who was on it breakdown fo everything, a bit like that one guy did for the Crystal Maze or something?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Crankit posted:

Honestly I was joking, the time you spend... wherever must be 2 days and most of the time will probably have a camera and soundman faffing and saying "OK guys we're gonna reshoot that" in addition to the fact some of the contestants must have to travel for each recording.

Can Xachariah ask the friend who was on it breakdown fo everything, a bit like that one guy did for the Crystal Maze or something?

Ehhhh, I haven't really talked to her in about 6-8 years to be honest. I just heard the details from my mum who is still in regular contact with her mum. It would be a li'l weird to ask for details out of the blue for a forum. Sorry.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Crankit posted:

Honestly I was joking, the time you spend... wherever
Fernando's in Tenerife.
The number of times they plug it, how can you forget?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Crankit posted:

in addition to the fact some of the contestants must have to travel for each recording.

I wouldn't have thought so, they probably just film a shitload of episodes at once like they do with Countdown.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
From what I heard, they send out a batch of contestants out to wherever and film for 1 day, giving them all a chance to drink and take other contestants back to their hotel rooms for the rest of the time they are there.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm always interested in hearing about people who've been on television. I applied to Come Dine With Me the other week and had a phone interview where I was asked how competitive I was, what I felt about vegetarians and if I had any strange hobbies. I didn't really want to do the show though and only applied when I was drunk, but still, I could have had strangers in my house and been made fun of for the glory of the great british programme discussion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

justcola posted:

I'm always interested in hearing about people who've been on television. I applied to Come Dine With Me the other week and had a phone interview where I was asked how competitive I was, what I felt about vegetarians and if I had any strange hobbies. I didn't really want to do the show though and only applied when I was drunk, but still, I could have had strangers in my house and been made fun of for the glory of the great british programme discussion.

There is only one way to make fun of Come Dine With Me as a contestant.
Vote everyone else a 1, giving the only reason is that you need the grand.

Its been on for years now, and no one has thought that if you score-poo poo the others you will win.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

happyhippy posted:

Its been on for years now, and no one has thought that if you score-poo poo the others you will win.

Actually, several people have thought of that, and in one week, some person scored everyone else 3 or 4, roughly citing your logic. They didn't take any action throughout the week, but the producers confronted her behind the scenes and told them to re-score them honestly, else have their plan exposed to others.

I don't see what that would have achieved, except that you wouldn't be in the the company of the other contestants when they found out you're a dick.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Irisi posted:

Also, this Secret of Crickley Hall thing on BBC1 just now is a bit rubbish, I'm disappointed. I like a good ghost story, but not even Suranne Jones can liven this up.

Started watching that because the premise/previews reminded me a lot of the sorts of parallel-in-time ghostie stories I read as a kid (plus, David Warner!) and I was hoping to channel my inner 8-year-old, but it was a bit blah. We ended up switching back over to a Thick of It dvd.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Regarding ITV moneymaking:

Wikipedia posted:

Overall, the regional companies made a profit within the first few years of their existence; the largest regions especially so. Roy Thomson, the Canadian founding chairman of Scottish Television, famously described the ownership of an ITV franchise as "a licence to print money".

Not sure if that's the same these days, but it's certainly not unprofitable. Consolidation has helped, obviously. ITV aren't even responsible for pressing play on programmes and adverts and getting them to the transmitters anymore. That's all outsourced. Which leads to hilarious moments like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRV7sOZ3X3s

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Didn't they catch poo poo for pulling a simmliar stunt with a world cup match?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

ConanThe3rd posted:

Didn't they catch poo poo for pulling a simmliar stunt with a world cup match?

Yeah, they cut away for Gerard's goal against the USA in 2010. The Everton one was seen as a genuine mistake though, I think. It was extra time, so I think it was just an ad break that was scheduled for if the game had ended after 90mins, but they forgot to pull it, which is understandable, if a little incompetent. The England one however, the goal was after 4mins, which is just sloppy.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I was watching some Derren Brown thing over the weekend, and on the profile shots of him I thought he looked like Lenin. Any other TV guys that look like leaders from history?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

justcola posted:

I applied to Come Dine With Me the other week and had a phone interview where I was asked how competitive I was, what I felt about vegetarians and if I had any strange hobbies.

Ugh, I hate it when they engineer a vegetarian/vegan vs anti-vegetarian/vegan argument. Nothing more tedious in this world.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Al2001 posted:

Ugh, I hate it when they engineer a vegetarian/vegan vs anti-vegetarian/vegan argument. Nothing more tedious in this world.
My favourite of these is when a muslim woman serves the guests alcohol-free wine & beer all evening witohut mentioning this until the end.
Fair enough any reasonable person would say. Probably would have noticed on the first glass. Hardly worth mentioning.
But you'd think she'd secretly served urine from the strop one of the guys throws.

Sorry, not favourite. I want this man to die of an umpleasant manner.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
So you wish to be on a Channel 4 daytime Come Dine With Me type show. Please select your personality from the following list:

[] Gobby when drunk on a daily basis
[] Northern
[] Snobby
[] Far too much makeup
[] Generally emotionally unstable

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Giedroyc posted:

So you wish to be on a Channel 4 daytime Come Dine With Me type show. Please select your personality from the following list:

[] Gobby when drunk on a daily basis
[] Northern
[] Snobby
[] Far too much makeup
[] Generally emotionally unstable

I used to be quite good friends with one of the guys on the current series. He definitely falls under that last option.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, they cut away for Gerard's goal against the USA in 2010. The Everton one was seen as a genuine mistake though, I think. It was extra time, so I think it was just an ad break that was scheduled for if the game had ended after 90mins, but they forgot to pull it, which is understandable, if a little incompetent. The England one however, the goal was after 4mins, which is just sloppy.

it's times like that that I wish the BBC & Sky would just stump up for the FA Cup rights and dish the Football League and League to ITV and ESPN. I will give Sky all the poo poo in the world for making every game seem like its the most important in the world (with all due respect to fans of both teams, Fulham vs Sunderland does not fit in any remote definition of Super Sunday), but their production values are second to none. The BBC on the other hand has a collection of supremely talented radio commentators on Five Live who really should make the move to TV. John Murray, Connor Macnamara (also does golf and rugby), Darren Fletcher (also does NFL commentary) & Simon Brotherton (last seen doing cycling and baseball) all should be getting the TV breaks. Even dear old John Motson is good on the radio.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I will give Sky all the poo poo in the world for making every game seem like its the most important in the world (with all due respect to fans of both teams, Fulham vs Sunderland does not fit in any remote definition of Super Sunday)

The ridiculous football adverts are the best thing about Sky.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

My favourite part of Come Dine with Me is the announcer guy. Especially when he gives up on subtlety and just starts insulting the contestants. Or whatever you call them. Is contestants even the right word?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

McDragon posted:

My favourite part of Come Dine with Me is the announcer guy. Especially when he gives up on subtlety and just starts insulting the contestants. Or whatever you call them. Is contestants even the right word?

Dave Lamb is incredible, he's fantastic in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsPl8mB0vQA

I'd tell you when he starts losing it instead of linking you to the whole episode but I can't because this bastard video won't load for me. It's when she's cooking then bursts into song though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

onoflalks posted:

I'd tell you when he starts losing it instead of linking you to the whole episode but I can't because this bastard video won't load for me. It's when she's cooking then bursts into song though.

Oh yeah, that's his name, I remember now. Hadn't seen that before, that was great, thanks. I think the bit around 7:52 is what you meant?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

McDragon posted:

Oh yeah, that's his name, I remember now. Hadn't seen that before, that was great, thanks. I think the bit around 7:52 is what you meant?

I think it is, when he's shrieking at her? TV gold.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

A friend of a friend was on Come Dine With Me and complained that he spent a grand doing his house up before filming and didn't win anyway. Apparently you get £100 to spend on food though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHydOz3x-5I (He's the one wearing the glasses)

Watched the Why Poverty? film on BBC1 with my mum tonight. The film itself is quite powerful and thought provoking, though not really something you'd watch with your mum.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
I wasn't sure where else to post this, but "Sara Lund :allears:"

Some day, the world will stop being so horrible to you.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Indeterminacy posted:

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but "Sara Lund :allears:"

Some day, the world will stop being so horrible to you.

I love Sarah Lund and her splendid range of knitted Nordic jumpers. And I hope by the time The Killing III ends she has managed to reconcile with her son, or find a partner who isn't homicidal/dead by the end of the series. Or even just manages to unpack some of the boxes in her flat.

Also, I'm learning about Scandinavian politics (Statsminister! Coalition government!), though I still have the deepest suspicions regarding the Danish language. The spoken word bears no relation to the word as written, I think perhaps it's just a joke the Danes are having at the rest of the worlds' expense and in private they all speak nice sensible French or something.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Irisi posted:

I love Sarah Lund and her splendid range of knitted Nordic jumpers. And I hope by the time The Killing III ends she has managed to reconcile with her son, or find a partner who isn't homicidal/dead by the end of the series. Or even just manages to unpack some of the boxes in her flat.

Also, I'm learning about Scandinavian politics (Statsminister! Coalition government!), though I still have the deepest suspicions regarding the Danish language. The spoken word bears no relation to the word as written, I think perhaps it's just a joke the Danes are having at the rest of the worlds' expense and in private they all speak nice sensible French or something.

I tried to learn Swedish last year due to the film Kopps and the Wallander series, and it's pretty similar, where are the hard consonants? :iiam:

Then I watched the Bridge and my mum started watching the Killing and Borgen, Danish is a mental mix of Swedish and German and it makes me head hurt. It sounds like choking on Lego half the time.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Irisi posted:

... though I still have the deepest suspicions regarding the Danish language. The spoken word bears no relation to the word as written, I think perhaps it's just a joke the Danes are having at the rest of the worlds' expense and in private they all speak nice sensible French or something.
Don't worry, the norse aren't getting it either.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

marktheando posted:

The ridiculous football adverts are the best thing about Sky.

I'm just gonna post this like it's cool and edgy and you've never seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jonnty posted:

I'm just gonna post this like it's cool and edgy and you've never seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c

The real funny thing about this sketch is that it is low key and restrained compared to the real adverts. Cricket not football but-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWaOI2WTuGY

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ms Boods posted:

Started watching that because the premise/previews reminded me a lot of the sorts of parallel-in-time ghostie stories I read as a kid (plus, David Warner!) and I was hoping to channel my inner 8-year-old, but it was a bit blah. We ended up switching back over to a Thick of It dvd.

Yeah, pretty dull, I don't like the author's work but I thought I'd try the adaptation and wasn't disappointed. That is to say, it wasn't very good. However I am enjoying playing "spot the Game of Thrones actor" whenever I watch new British telly. Crickley Hall had Arya in it and another one Maester Luwin will be in the next episode, and poor fat Sam was in Merlin on Saturday. I might watch Secret State for some Tywin/Stannis action as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

onoflalks posted:

My husband's mate does the sound editing for Come Dine With Me, apparently the very best of Dave Lamb gets cut out for being too rude. I dream of hearing the unedited commentary.

Oh hey - totally changing subject. I would love to see a technical challenge on Masterchef in which the contestant has to produce a plate of food without an arty farty smear on the side.