Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate

cryingscarf posted:

I am assuming she meant to quote FB's post (so Desi = short for Desperado)

I am putting my vote in for Desperado! Cannot wait until you get him and can post billions of pictures of him. :3:

Ooops, I did mean that, sorry!

I'm sort of liking this option more and more, as I'm a huge I Love Lucy fan :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I am proud to say I am adopting my first puppy!!!
Meet Ham!!

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 3, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SSD are you AD? Because moving around with danes is a hell of a financial thing. It's totally worth it and totally doable, but I figure I oughta mention it off the bat. But goddamn :3: Dane puppies. Look it that spotty little nose!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Miss Mila didn't feel well and threw up in her cords. :3:

... so she got a bath and got to wear people clothes!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

dexefiend posted:

Miss Mila didn't feel well and threw up in her cords. :3:

... so she got a bath and got to wear people clothes!

And she looks absolutely thrilled about it too :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

:siren: TODAY IS PUPPY DAY! :siren:

He'll be here late this afternoon... expect a million pictures tonight!

:D :D :D

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Veruca Salt posted:

:siren: TODAY IS PUPPY DAY! :siren:

He'll be here late this afternoon... expect a million pictures tonight!

:D :D :D

Ohgodohgodohgodohgod. :supaburn:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Introducing...

Baby Remy!

The breeder decided to go with Red Hot Chili Peppers songs, so we picked Emit Remmus and will call him Remy.

He'll be 9 weeks old tomorrow, 25lbs, and is already bigger than Cooper. :)

Sunday's not really sure what to think of him yet, but he LOVES her.

Please excuse the dirty floors, it was raining out and Remy tracked mud in all over the house.

He wasted no time in stealing Cooper's bed; he literally walked in the house and plopped right down.

Well... I guess this is my life from now on: :D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Aww, Remy looks like he's mostly head and paws in some of those shots :3:. He's going to be massive when he grows up by the looks of it.

How's he coping with his medical antennae and cropped ears?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Bwahaha I was waiting all day to see those ears. They are everything I hoped for. Poor dude though, bet they're itchy.

His coat is so pretty~

vv: show crop, required part of their contract with the breeder.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 11, 2012

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I am also going to question why you have an alien dog right now.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Ha he's not super happy about his ears, he keeps shaking his head and they're obviously still sore because sometimes he'll forget and hit them on things and yelp a little bit.

It's funny, we actually ended up going with a different puppy. When I met them when they were 3 weeks old, I fell in love with the one with the yellow collar. Today, she brought all 3 brindle boys to my house but wouldn't tell me who'd had which collar so that I wouldn't be influenced. Well, this little boy was just so striking and affectionate and playful, that I pointed to him. It wasn't the yellow one at all, he'd had a blue collar. He definitely has the most gorgeous coat, but it's looking like he might have light eyes, which a lot of judges don't like.

But I don't care. Not every judge marks off for it, and she knows the ones that don't. Plus, his eyes are absolutely gorgeous-- they're almost green, they're pretty amazing.

I am madly in love with him. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I don't get why they're so spastic about green eyes in brown coats anyway. The only reason it's a thing in blacks/harles/mantles/blues is because it was supposed to be a hallmark of merle-carriers. I can't remember if it was a superstition thing or if it's actually got merit but it's still bullshit in fawn/fblmsk/brindles in my opinion.

:saddowns: I wish I had somebody just bring three dane pups to my house. Except I really don't because then there'd be three new great danes in my house. I admire your self control.

He's a lovely little pup and just walking in and stealing that bed, hopefully means that he's got lots of self confidence. I dunno that his ears hurt so much as bumping them is scary. Puppies yelp at dumb things after all.

Is it wrong that I just wanna rub that tiny little puppy belly forever?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, lookit his big ol' nose. :3:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is it wrong that I just wanna rub that tiny little puppy belly forever?

No, but you'll have to get in line behind me. (once I'm done playing with his paws).
His ears look ridiculous; I almost wish that he never grows into them.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

"What's the deal with your ears, man?"

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Oh my god why did nobody remind me what having a Dane puppy is like, you guys suck :P

It's been two years since I've had one! You guys had a responsibility to remind me!

Where's Fluffy Bunnies? I am disappointed in you most of all. :colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:allears: I look forward to the first time he's big enough to get into the trash. And so do you. Don't you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veruca Salt posted:

Oh my god why did nobody remind me what having a Dane puppy is like, you guys suck :P

It's been two years since I've had one! You guys had a responsibility to remind me!

Where's Fluffy Bunnies? I am disappointed in you most of all. :colbert:

I've never had a big dog, but would I be right in guessing awkward curious puppy, only the size of a full-grown regular-sized dog?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

This puppy is nuts! I guess I lucked out with Sunday, who slept like 18 hours a day for the first 6 months of her life... actually, I guess she still does that. :P Remy though is like the energizer bunny. Like, literally a bunny. He doesn't walk anywhere, he hops (which is just as adorable as it sounds), and he's into eeeeeverythiiiing. He also likes to chew every single thing he sees-- cords, chairs, the couch, the television, my laptop, the brick wall-- so he can't be unsupervised for a second.

He's a lot of work. I'm glad I have these two weeks off of work. But he's worth it. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What have you got that's cool for him to chew on? Because it sounds like he likes hard stuff. If he's just got stuffed animals and whatnot (even ropes) maybe something a bit harder that he can get his doofy puppy mouth around would help out?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

He has about a million toys; he won't chew on the hard ones, only the stuffed ones. He has all these Kongs and teething toys and rubber things, and he refuses to chew them because he hates me.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Veruca Salt posted:

He has all these Kongs and teething toys and rubber things, and he refuses to chew them because he hates me.

Don't get rid of them! My dogs are 2 and have just started chewing their rubber toys.

Btw, totally wanna pinch Remy's lips :3:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's my Bullmastiff Maya! Where do you guys bathe your horses? She's just barely able to fit in the bathtub, I don't know what I would do with a English Mastiff or Great Dane

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well, I mean. He kinda fit in the tub in Japan.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Here's Siegfried. Newfoundland, three years old, 30", 70kg (156 lbs). He's a goddamn heffalump.

Interests include:

slutting about

melting

looking sleepy (freshly clipped for an Australian Summer)

being a big fuckin sweetie and giving me eyes

huuuuuuurh?

durrrrrhhh

BUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

He likes to keep his many, many toys in one big pile, and will go fetch them and put them back in place if you pick one up and throw it, and then look at you all hurt.

He also has a post-meal routine where he'll inhale his dinner, run outside, poop, squeak a toy really loud, then barge inside like the colossal oaf he is for a big pat. Then snore while sleeping.

He's kinda weird, but we love him anyway. More, probably.

I seem to have temporarily misplaced all the puppy pictures I have of him. I'll find them and do and edit, because they are not to be missed. Just a pink tongue surrounded by a faintly dog-shaped mound of black fluff.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Siegfried is loving amazing. Love the picture of him melting. It's exactly how I feel most of the time. Good dog.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wow, Siegfried looks huge and cuddly. Love that pic of him melting. :3:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
Good god that is a cute drooling monster. Someday when I have more money/room I'd like a Newfoundland, but I'm afraid he might squish my tiny yappy rat accidentally. How well does he handle summer in Australia?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
What do other large furry breed owners do with their dogs in the summer?

It's winter here right now so Neuman is really active and loves going for long walks and rolling in snow, eating snow, licking snow, and generally worshiping snow as evidenced here by his "What, you want me to come in, how about you come OUT!?!?" look here:

The problem is that if it gets above 20 degrees (70f) he doesn't want to do much and he's quite miserable in the heat. Hell we have to feed less in the summer because he only likes to go for shorter walks and only once the big ball of fire in the sky isn't there anymore.

He likes to swim, but I think the river water makes him itchy.... and he's got stupid environmental allergies that I have no idea how to cure. We've had to give him antihistamines with steroids in them to make it more bearable for him and I don't like giving him those, but it's the only thing that seems to work.

Other than a good haircut and a kiddie pool full of water is there anything else I can do for him on the heat or allergy side of things?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Good god that is a cute drooling monster. Someday when I have more money/room I'd like a Newfoundland, but I'm afraid he might squish my tiny yappy rat accidentally. How well does he handle summer in Australia?
He handles it OK because he's a big lazy fucker who sits in air conditioning all day until it's time to go for a walk. Also, we clip him every six weeks or so between September and March. People tried to tell me it would gently caress up his coat permanently, but it doesn't. It grows back all shiny and handsome just fine.

I can't imagine a newf accidentally going to sleep on a smaller dog and killing it. But, then again, this one doesn't even wake up for the doorbell half the time.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Ahahahaha his eyes in that picture of him melting! So cute :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I love how "fluffy afro" is a breed trait of a dog. Newphies. :3:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Misanthrope posted:

The problem is that if it gets above 20 degrees (70f) he doesn't want to do much and he's quite miserable in the heat. Hell we have to feed less in the summer because he only likes to go for shorter walks and only once the big ball of fire in the sky isn't there anymore.

Hrm, this is concerning. I live in the Boston area. I had been assuming that this was sufficiently far north to not worry about cold-weather dogs (so long as I have air conditioning anyway), but it can get quite warm and muggy in the summer months. Is there any map of like where it is ok to have big ol dogs?

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Petey posted:

Hrm, this is concerning. I live in the Boston area. I had been assuming that this was sufficiently far north to not worry about cold-weather dogs (so long as I have air conditioning anyway), but it can get quite warm and muggy in the summer months. Is there any map of like where it is ok to have big ol dogs?

I don't have a big ol' dog or even a foofy one, but I've got a crotchety old lab mix here in southeast Wisconsin where it can get pretty gross out. On really hot days I carry a spray bottle and mist her every so often. I also carry a portable water dish. It's like people: drink lots of water, stay in the shade, keep your activity limited to morning/evening to avoid the heat of the day.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Petey posted:

Keep in mind I'm also a big reactive suck when it comes to his welfare... "miserable" might be stretching it a tad, but he definitely enjoys winter more.

I'm also in Western Canada so not a tonne of a/c up here, but that would help your situation for sure.. my guy just goes down to the basement and lays on the cool floor.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Mouse update. He's pretty much in love with antlers and hooves of any sort. After taking him off chicken, he's really skyrocketed as far as size goes. When we first met him in June he was 60 lbs, we got him at 67 lbs in early july (around 9 months).

We took him pretty quickly to play with my in-laws 4 labs, and they had a great time. Their dogs are all around 65-80 lbs, and Mouse fit right now.

Last weekend, we brought him down there again. Mouse was head and shoulders taller than everyone else. He hasn't been weight for a couple of months but he was 85 lbs in early October. I'm guessing he could be right around 100 lbs now at 15 months.

Doesn't seem to look too much different to me, other than having to let his harness out a touch every week. He's basically a giant butthole.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh god it's made of floof :3:

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

Oh god it's made of floof :3:

So is every corner of my house now!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh man, how did I miss this thread.

I have 2 Great Danes and they love getting their picture taken and love people.

First up is Archer. He just turned 2 years old and weights about 120 pounds. This picture was taken last year and he's filled out a little since.

I rescued him from the local humane society just over a year ago. The lady who dropped him off said everytime she left her house he destroyed it. When asked why not crate train him, she said her house wasn't big enough to do that, what was she thinking getting a Great Dane then???

Next up is Gracie. She's my 7 or 8 year old girl who may have some Mastiff in her. I've had her going on 5 years now and again she was a rescue from the humane society. When I got her she had just had puppies, her previous owner kept the puppies and got rid of her. :( She clocks in at about 140 pounds and is much thicker/rounder than Archer, but shorter.

This is what they do most of the time

And this is when I busted Archer on webcam climbing the bookshelf in my living room.

And this is Gracie being silly

Both again, they like to play together outside, but Archer still being somewhat of a puppy plays pretty rough with Gracie and I'm afraid with her being older he's going to jump on her wrong or she's going to land wrong and hurt herself so I try and keep them to limited playing.

I could seriously post images of them all day, they love having their pictures taken and I probably have hundreds of them!