Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

This might not have universal appeal but I was really excited about it when I discovered that I could just use my own mason jars with a nice washable lid: http://cuppow.com/

Whenever I think of metal travel mugs I remember the deathly stench that wafted out of my parents' mugs even right out of the dishwasher. Glass is so much easier to clean and it's really easy to replace. A whole flat of glass "travel mugs" is cheaper than a single travel mug at starbucks last I checked.

Doesn't the glass get too hot to hold? Does it fit in the cup holder in your car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Glockamole posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a Hario Slim Mill and Clever Dripper a week or two ago. While the quality of my coffee has dramatically improved, I have an issue. My travel mug should be ashamed of itself. Can I get a suggestion for a travel mug with at least 16 ounces of capacity that's up to the task of carrying my coffee without spilling it?

I've had an a stainless steel mug like this one from Aladdin (http://www.shopaladdin-pmi.com/product/10310) for a while now (picked it up from Target). The stainless interior keeps the old coffee funk at bay, though I always hand wash the mug which may also be part of it. It's not liquid tight, but you'd have to hold it sideways or upside down for leaks.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Florida Betty posted:

Doesn't the glass get too hot to hold? Does it fit in the cup holder in your car?

There are a huge variety of of different kinds of mason jars and I am sure that there are many that fit in cup holders.

Sleeves that fit regular cups can fit 'em, as well as a huge assortment of re-usable sleeves available everywhere.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I visited Costa Rica in 2005 and had copious amounts of coffee at every meal- multiple cups breakfast lunch and dinner. I remember some of the coffee I had was syrupy, viscous, and incredibly delicious. Was it the Chorreador they were using? The beans? You tell me. I just want to recreate that delicious, thick coffee I remember.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
Don't they do that condensed-milk-tossed-between-cups coffee thing over there?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Coffee beans in danger of extinction

:ohdear:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright need some suggestions... I want to buy a popcorn air popper to roast my own coffee. Any brands/things to look for?

Also, maybe a stupid question but once you use this for coffee is that it or can you use it for popcorn? Only asking because someone asked about the whirly pop and they said it would be fine for that.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nwin posted:

Alright need some suggestions... I want to buy a popcorn air popper to roast my own coffee. Any brands/things to look for?

Also, maybe a stupid question but once you use this for coffee is that it or can you use it for popcorn? Only asking because someone asked about the whirly pop and they said it would be fine for that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Poppery-Hot...261097274390%26

That's what I have and it works great. I wouldn't suggest you make popcorn in it as it gets pretty messy with residue/oils.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anything new you could recommend? It's going to be a Christmas present from a family member and they'd probably rather just get something off amazon the hunt on eBay for the right one.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nwin posted:

Anything new you could recommend? It's going to be a Christmas present from a family member and they'd probably rather just get something off amazon the hunt on eBay for the right one.

Sorry, I don't know personally. Keep in mind with these poppers, you're gonna need to reach temperatures greater than 430 degrees F, and most popcorn doesn't need that sort of heat. I was told these older ones are better as they allow themselves to run hotter/used more power. That said, newer models should work?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

nwin posted:

I am using a West Bend Air Crazy to roast, and so far I've been happy with it. It is actually cheaper at Target if you have one of those around. I can't attest to its longevity since I haven't been doing this for long, but so far it has held up to double batches (since you can only roast about a half cup at a time) with no cooldown like a champ.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Loucks posted:

I am using a West Bend Air Crazy to roast, and so far I've been happy with it. It is actually cheaper at Target if you have one of those around. I can't attest to its longevity since I haven't been doing this for long, but so far it has held up to double batches (since you can only roast about a half cup at a time) with no cooldown like a champ.

Thanks for the response! I saw that popper being offered on sweet maria's but they give a pretty heavy handed disclaimer saying they want to like it but since the product isn't designed for coffee, they don't want to endorse it.

It seems that one you posted is 1050 watts, and reviews are all over the place. Some people say go for that, others say the Poppery or Poppery II is the best(1500 watts supposedly?), but they are older so you don't know what you're going to get off ebay.

I don't need to tell the person right this second, so it won't kill me to do research for a few days. One thing that concerned me looking at some How To videos off sweet maria's is the guy showed one of the plastic tops completely melted through and didn't seem concerned about it, just saying to expect it.

Now, on to something different...coffee advice! I'm just going to list what I've tried with links to each one...if you guys could maybe give me some advice on things I might like or give me some ideas to look out for, I would appreciate it!

I'm still looking for flavor profiles I like. I had been buying 'La Minita Tarrazu from Java Coffee in Texas, that was characterized on their website as "remarkably smooth, with all elements in balance, and bright flavors that fill the mouth."

I liked that but I couldn't get a straight answer of how often that exact coffee was roasted, so I wanted to branch out and see what else is out there. I tried Brazil Sweet Blue from redbird coffee. It was listed as"rich in chocolate and dry-cocoa flavor and aromas. Dense body, balanced acidity and sweetness, and long lingering chocolate and espresso after taste"

The redbird coffee I liked, but adding a small bit of sugar to the coffee really helped the flavor. I liked redbird because they roast on certain dates and send your coffee out, pretty much ensuring that when it's shipped to you, it has outgassed enough and is good to go.

Next I tried Java Pura, out of Houston (where I'm located). They roast on Tuesdays/Thursdays, and are only about 10 minutes from my house. I first picked up a Costa Rican coffee, named Don Teofilo, which is characterized as "an excellent balance of body and acidity, is very aromatic, with tastes of citrus and milk chocolate truffle."

I'm not a fan of this one at all. I've had two cups of it so far and apparently it's their number one seller, but I think the citrus flavor is offputting to me. Having another cup just now, and it tastes almost like a tea to me...and I loving hate tea. It's passable, and I stupidly bought a loving pound of it, so I'll continue to drink it for now. Too bad it's not hot out anymore or else I would just use it for cold brew.

The next I'm thinking of trying is another from Java Pura, It's from Panama, medium roast, called Los Cantares. "This fully washed coffee possesses a medium body, wonderful bright notes combined with hints of chocolate, and closes with a creamy finish."

Another one from red bird I'm thinking is Brazil Moka Peaberry Reserve. Almond notes, delicate sweetness, subtle body, smooth finish.

From reading on some websites, I *think* what I would like in a coffee is decent brightness, more sweetness than acidity, or at least balanced between the two, and coffee/buttery flavors. Does that sound about right based off what I've tasted and my comments or am I completely off base?

Thanks for any help you all can offer.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 13, 2012

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

nwin posted:

Thanks for the response! I saw that popper being offered on sweet maria's but they give a pretty heavy handed disclaimer saying they want to like it but since the product isn't designed for coffee, they don't want to endorse it.

It seems that one you posted is 1050 watts, and reviews are all over the place. Some people say go for that, others say the Poppery or Poppery II is the best(1500 watts supposedly?), but they are older so you don't know what you're going to get off ebay.

I don't need to tell the person right this second, so it won't kill me to do research for a few days. One thing that concerned me looking at some How To videos off sweet maria's is the guy showed one of the plastic tops completely melted through and didn't seem concerned about it, just saying to expect it.

I entered into roasting my own coffee with the understanding that I was abusing the equipment in ways it wasn't to handle. Sweet Maria's can't endorse the popper, but that's fine with me since the alternative is to drop hundreds of dollars on a real roaster. Someday, sure, but this will do for now. I chose the lower wattage model because I hate dealing with ebay and want to be able to get replacement gear reliably should my first one fail. I imagine that one of the higher wattage models would be faster and more reliably hit the necessary temperature when roasting outside. I have discovered since I last posted that when the temperature gets down into the low 30F range it is necessary to insulate the machine in order to hit proper roasting temperature. As it turns out I either have no fear of fire or am too dumb to consider it, so I just used an old Sam Adams 12-pack box that hadn't made its way to the recycling bin yet. No problems.

No idea what to say about melted tops. Mine is still 100%, but I only do two roasts at a time. A cup of green coffee beans seems to last me a day or three. Maybe a melted top is the Coffee God's way of suggesting a hurricane chimney replacement.

Question for the thread: Which digital scale to ensure correct coffee:water ratio? I've been eyeballing it with reasonable success, but I'd like to get more repeatable results. If they're all the same, is there a feature that you've found especially useful?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Loucks posted:

Question for the thread: Which digital scale to ensure correct coffee:water ratio? I've been eyeballing it with reasonable success, but I'd like to get more repeatable results. If they're all the same, is there a feature that you've found especially useful?

I like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1352840034&sr=1-1

Easy to use/read, batteries have lasted for ever and it can handle plenty of weight. Plus, only 25 bucks!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I have this one and it's more precise:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-SC-2KG-Digital-Pocket/dp/B001RF3XJ2/ref=sr_1_23?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1352841197&sr=1-23

Consistent too.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Yeah I have this one. Cheap, accurate to 0.1g, and actually pretty reliable. My aeropress tipped over while doing an inverted brew and the thing got water and coffee grounds inside of it (in the space between the weighing lid and the base). Drained it in its side for a day, shook the grounds out, and now it works fine.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
For roasting , the Stir crazy /Convection oven rig is the way to go. I found a convection oven at Sam's club for 69 bux . It's a clone of the Sunpentown, so it saves you a buck or two.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/the-sharper-image-super-wave-oven/prod4130367.ip?navAction=#BVRRWidgetID

flacoman954 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 15, 2012

PickleHead
May 1, 2008
So if I did happen to buy way too much coffee to use within 2 weeks (I know, bad thing, I usually buy locally but it was a good deal), how would I store it? They are valve sealed bags. Do I leave them out or freeze them?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Good places to buy coffee, beans in the SF Bay Area?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PickleHead posted:

So if I did happen to buy way too much coffee to use within 2 weeks (I know, bad thing, I usually buy locally but it was a good deal), how would I store it? They are valve sealed bags. Do I leave them out or freeze them?

Drink more coffee?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Wish I was good at latte art. Getting better though.

Steve Yun posted:

Order them from Verve in Santa Cruz. Free shipping.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Steve Yun posted:

I picked up beans from Pacific Bay Coffee a week ago. Seem pretty good. 1lb bags are around $16-18.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pacific-bay-coffee-co-and-micro-roastery-walnut-creek

Linked the yelp because their own website seems to be hosed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Sweet Maria's operates out of Oakland.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Steve Yun posted:

Sightglass, De La Paz, and Ritual are all good. Verve is in Santa Cruz and is also good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Managed to find a poppery II at goodwill for 8 bucks. I figure its worth a shot!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

In Augie's right now. The kenya peaberry owns.

Semirelevant: given how popular this place is with IE goons, There's a goony as hell dude at the table next to me. Which one of y'all is it?

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 16, 2012

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If any of y'all are near a Gimme! Coffee, I'd like to inform you that their Yirgacheffe tastes exactly like how coffee bloggers describe Yirgacheffe.

I have had it in a lot of places with high hopes because it gets such good reviews, but it has never lived up to the hype. Usually it just tastes bland and vaguely sour, but the stuff Gimme! Coffee puts out is freaking incredible.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

In Augie's right now. The kenya peaberry owns.

Semirelevant: given how popular this place is with IE goons, There's a goony as hell dude at the table next to me. Which one of y'all is it?

I have to work, so it isn't me.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Has anyone used the new Bodum Bistro b.over? It looks pretty cool, although I'm not sure it's better than the Technivorm Moccamaster which I already own. I'm not really looking to buy it I'm just curious.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
$220+ for a non-espresso machine. It better be the best coffee ever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Martello posted:

Has anyone used the new Bodum Bistro b.over? It looks pretty cool, although I'm not sure it's better than the Technivorm Moccamaster which I already own. I'm not really looking to buy it I'm just curious.

Am I imagining things or did a chimp wink at me

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Martello posted:

Saw it in a store. Definitely not Techni quality.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Steve Yun posted:

Am I imagining things or did a chimp wink at me

Sure did.

I thought it was funny that the tubing inside is borosilicate, to avoid plastic taste, but the shower head is flimsy, thin soft plastic. It doesn't look like a bad machine, though, honestly. But it also doesn't seem like a huge convenience step up from my press.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If I were going to buy an expensive drip brewer, it would almost certainly be the Behmor Brazen.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

ded posted:

$220+ for a non-espresso machine. It better be the best coffee ever.

Well the Moccamaster cost like 300 bones and it's pretty amazing, makes the best drip coffee I've ever had. Like I said I'm not looking to buy a different machine.

Yeah and the chimp winking is super random.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
so if I want a 200-300$ espresso machine to get "started" in espresso, which should I get (christmas giffffft!!!!)

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
My first Tonx order is being prepped for shipment. I'm pretty excited.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

:siren:
Pre Black Friday weeklong sale on Newegg for a Saeco Aroma $179 with promo code: EMCJJJH96

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

GrAviTy84 posted:

:siren:
Pre Black Friday weeklong sale on Newegg for a Saeco Aroma $179 with promo code: EMCJJJH96

Is this a good starter machine? Is it worth paying $100-200 more to get a better one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

This is the cheapest machine recommendable. As per usual advice, a 500bux grinder and this machine will make better espresso than a 100bux grinder and a la marzocco.

As far as whether this is good for beginners, it depends on how big you want to go. This is still a single boiler, pressurized portafilter espresso maker. The steamwand isn't the best, too. But it's an entry level machine.