Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

power posted:

I can't really take the risk on it any more as I'm going back to school and won't have the kind of money sitting around required to drive it. It was a blast to drive, and I'll most likely be getting a (newer) BMW once I finish up this degree. For now I've still got a 2008 civic that upon my last inspection under the car, isn't going to cost me a cent any time soon. Going to try to find somewhere that will rebuild that alternator cheap and throw it on the market. I've got a set of 17" style 5's that came with it that I may sell separately once I clean them up and if I decide to I'll post them here.

Ah, you crazy Canadian goons... What does it cost you to hang on to it and drive it occasionally? I would bet you that once you get this alternator sorted out, your going to have a decent car again. Its completely your choice, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

You have just pretty much sorted out all the problems that this car has and potentially may have.... E39's are pretty rock solid cars once you get their nuances taken care of. If its paid for, ask your insurance to just put storage insurance on it (again, I am not sure how Canada works, but I assume its fairly similar to the US), start it up every so often and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

power posted:

They did long ago to my knowledge - and there was no evidence other than VCGs of any trouble with them.

Also BrokenKnckles

I'm unfortunately nowhere near there, I'm on the east coast of Canada. It was an Ohio car before so I did escape a lot of rust that way. The PO was a good friend of mine who works on the car for near slavery rates too, and he put a lot into it as well before I bought it. I think you're right that 99% of the stuff is probably good for a long time now and unfortunate to me the next owner may have a very reliable 540i for a 250000km car. As for the rear tires, I was well aware what I was getting into there. I drove the car all summer to and from a work contract 700KM's away twice a week. This resulted in almost 40000KMS of mileage since May - and 3 sets of rears if you include the half worn set that came on it. Additionally the wheel carrier ball joints being worn or completely hosed exacerbates the wear issue too.

I can't really take the risk on it any more as I'm going back to school and won't have the kind of money sitting around required to drive it. It was a blast to drive, and I'll most likely be getting a (newer) BMW once I finish up this degree. For now I've still got a 2008 civic that upon my last inspection under the car, isn't going to cost me a cent any time soon. Going to try to find somewhere that will rebuild that alternator cheap and throw it on the market. I've got a set of 17" style 5's that came with it that I may sell separately once I clean them up and if I decide to I'll post them here.

East coast as in ontario, or east coast as in atlantic canada? I might be interested in taking a look if you're in the maritimes.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
So I bought this today. 1995 530i.

I spent the afternoon taking the peeling tint off with a steamer.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Found a 1999 M3 (manual) with 80k miles in the color I want. I know very little regarding common issues for this car at this age, what should I really be looking for issues wise?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Koirhor posted:

Found a 1999 M3 (manual) with 80k miles in the color I want. I know very little regarding common issues for this car at this age, what should I really be looking for issues wise?

Your wallet. They have a ton of tiny issues but nothing showstopping. They will nickel and dime you but it will be worth it.

E: Some issues to knock the price around; has vanos been rebuilt? Are there full service records? Have any of the suspension bushings been done? o2 sensors? (there's 4!) control arms (wear item on these cars)? Rear shock mounts? What has been done to the cooling system? (correct answer is water pump and thermostat housing).

revmoo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 19, 2012

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012
Does anybody know how much e90 LCI halogen lights would normally cost?

power
Nov 4, 2009

Crustashio posted:

East coast as in ontario, or east coast as in atlantic canada? I might be interested in taking a look if you're in the maritimes.
New Brunswick actually. I was commuting it to Cape Breton all summer. I think you're in NS somewhere if I remember correctly? It's good from afar but from from good body wise, and that splash guard isn't done yet either - the current on is almost completely destroyed. I don't know that you'd be that interested in it given the body condition and wouldn't want to waste your time if so. It's also an auto. There was a hack job repair done where the upper control arm connects into the right rear hub as well, as the bolt hole in the hub stripped out. Removed some material on the other side to fit a nut - not something I'm proud of. The trunk lid is going to need rust work done in about a year I'd say too, starting to bubble along the bottom on the inside. The flat black trim piece between the front and rear window passenger size has a bit of rust too, but that's a cheap fix. Couple dents/gouges on quarters/trunk. One of the 18" staggered wheels is cracked and won't balance... I certainly wouldn't hide anything from a buyer, but am just not sure I'd feel great selling it to anyone I know/a goon. I guess the brighter sides are: The interior is in excellent condition, engine feels very strong and visual inspection of timing chain guides says they look excellent.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ah, you crazy Canadian goons... What does it cost you to hang on to it and drive it occasionally? I would bet you that once you get this alternator sorted out, your going to have a decent car again. Its completely your choice, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

You have just pretty much sorted out all the problems that this car has and potentially may have.... E39's are pretty rock solid cars once you get their nuances taken care of. If its paid for, ask your insurance to just put storage insurance on it (again, I am not sure how Canada works, but I assume its fairly similar to the US), start it up every so often and go from there.

It is sort of paid for, I owe a family member a couple grand on it - and that family member isn't too impressed with the trouble I've had with it, so there is a bit of pressure there to get rid of it as well. If I had somewhere to store it I'd consider hanging on to it as a summer car -- I was very close to purchasing a used sea container from my employer but couldn't find anywhere (cheap) to plop it down. The fact that I've pretty much covered all of the common issues and it could be problem free for a significant period of time does trouble me. It's quite possible the next owner is going to get a very good deal considering the money I've put into it. If I had all of that work done at a shop I can't imagine how much it would have cost me.

power fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 19, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

power posted:

New Brunswick actually. I was commuting it to Cape Breton all summer. I think you're in NS somewhere if I remember correctly? It's good from afar but from from good body wise, and that splash guard isn't done yet either. I don't know that you'd be that interested in it given the body condition and wouldn't want to waste your time if so. It's also an auto...

Eh, yeah I'm definitely not interested if it's an auto.

power
Nov 4, 2009
I didn't figure as much. I am not a fan of automatics but made an exception on that car. You'll see I edited my previous posting, and when you sum up all of the little things I wouldn't have felt good about potentially selling to a fellow goon or friend.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

revmoo posted:

Your wallet. They have a ton of tiny issues but nothing showstopping. They will nickel and dime you but it will be worth it.

E: Some issues to knock the price around; has vanos been rebuilt? Are there full service records? Have any of the suspension bushings been done? o2 sensors? (there's 4!) control arms (wear item on these cars)? Rear shock mounts? What has been done to the cooling system? (correct answer is water pump and thermostat housing).

So, so worth it. I loving love my '99 M3.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Definitely not. It looked just like this:

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Take a look at the Edge Motoworks 75K checklist. I wouldn't be surprised if the car still had the original suspension and clutch. The cooling system has hopefully been replaced and if it hasn't you'll want to do it the day you get the car.

80K is pretty low mileage. What's the asking price? You can find cars that need nothing with ~120K miles for 10K all day long.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Super Camper posted:

Does anybody know how much e90 LCI halogen lights would normally cost?

$510 for halogen
$938 for bixenon
$1143 for bixenon + adaptive headlights

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

$510 for halogen
$938 for bixenon
$1143 for bixenon + adaptive headlights

Holy crap, thats a bit much. I thought the halogen LCI lights would be cheaper than that. I may have to buy aftermarket lights.

Does anybody know any reputable companies that specialize in aftermarket lights?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
DEPO time :whatup:

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

They're an Ebay store aren't they? I heard DEPO lights weren't that great and that they sometimes collect a lot of condensation.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Super Camper posted:

Holy crap, thats a bit much. I thought the halogen LCI lights would be cheaper than that. I may have to buy aftermarket lights.

Does anybody know any reputable companies that specialize in aftermarket lights?

Check ebay for used OEM lights. That's where I got my e36 and e46 lights for about 1/2 of the new price. I've pretty much been scared away from ANY aftermarket headlights with the horror stories I've been told. Especially DEPO.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 19, 2012

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Crustashio posted:

Check ebay for used OEM lights. That's where I got my e36 and e46 lights. I've pretty much been scared away from ANY aftermarket headlights with the horror stories I've been told. Especially DEPO.

Man I'd really like to get my hands on a pair of used OEM Xenon lights. But they go for about 800-1100$ a pair.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Super Camper posted:

They're an Ebay store aren't they? I heard DEPO lights weren't that great and that they sometimes collect a lot of condensation.

I think they're considered hit and miss. The kind of thing that you buy when you just can't spend a lot of money.

I got a pair of euro style Depo tail lights for my E34 from a junkyard and you can tell they're not as high quality as HELLAs but they look and function just fine.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

I think they're considered hit and miss. The kind of thing that you buy when you just can't spend a lot of money.

I got a pair of euro style Depo tail lights for my E34 from a junkyard and you can tell they're not as high quality as HELLAs but they look and function just fine.

No problem with condensation?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I need the bottom line on what's going to be the easiest way to unbolt the thrust arm from the frame on my E34. I've read a few different things involving PB Blaster and torches but I'm getting frustrated and want to hear what the AI approved Best Method is before I try a bunch of stuff.

This bitch is stuck as a motherfucker and I'm only partway through replacing one side of my car's suspension. I really want to get this car back on the road.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Super Camper posted:

No problem with condensation?

Not that I can tell but it's a tail light on an older car. I'd imagine that a headlight on a new car is more complex and condensation would be more noticeable/an issue.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Yeah, I wouldn't buy Depo junk for an E90. Hell, I budgeted for OEM (Bosch glass) for my E36. The plastics on Depo stuff are of notably lower quality.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012
Ok, no Depo stuff then. Looks like I'll have to save up for some nice OEM xenons.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Realjones posted:

Take a look at the Edge Motoworks 75K checklist. I wouldn't be surprised if the car still had the original suspension and clutch. The cooling system has hopefully been replaced and if it hasn't you'll want to do it the day you get the car.

80K is pretty low mileage. What's the asking price? You can find cars that need nothing with ~120K miles for 10K all day long.

It's being sold by the local Acura Dealership here in town, the current advertised price is 13700, we have some good local BMW shops in town that can probably do a pre purchase inspection if the dealership allows me to take it for an hour or so. I figure the asking price is pretty high unless everything on your list has been done fairly recently.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone have any experiences with "bmwmercedesparts"?

I'm getting my E46 ready for sale, and I need a few parts to make sure its in retail condition. I placed an order over two weeks ago and they still haven't shipped. They charged my credit card a long time ago though.

I shot them another email and if I don't hear back in the next day I'm just going to file a chargeback because these people seem like crooks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bank posted:

Anyone have any experiences with "bmwmercedesparts"?

I'm getting my E46 ready for sale, and I need a few parts to make sure its in retail condition. I placed an order over two weeks ago and they still haven't shipped. They charged my credit card a long time ago though.

I shot them another email and if I don't hear back in the next day I'm just going to file a chargeback because these people seem like crooks.

Plenty of people have had similar experiences. Also, you aren't supposed to charge a card before shipment (per most merchant agreements). Just call them and tell them you are canceling the order and they have until the end of the day before you do a charge back. And follow through.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ol' 1995 E36 continues to be a more or less reliable car, BUUUUUT.....

Replaced the radiator last week due to a hole. I'm now getting highway and/or 'stuck in commute' overheating. It bopped around town fine the other night, but today took me 90 mins to get 20 miles due to it running hot. It will hold at the 'thermostat point' for about 5-10 minutes but then start to creep up, slowly but steadily. It does take a while to cool down; the system seems to be getting pretty hot, although we are not getting enough pressure to pop the cap. The fires of hell blow steadily through the heater, which is set wide open. I've bled and bled, and I'm here to ask if I'm missing anything besides "bleed it again"?

Water pump has ~500 miles on it, thermostat has about 3000. Upper hose is new, lower is older but good. 50/50 water/antifreeze. Clutch fan is removed and we have an aftermarket puller fan always-on. The system ran A-OK through the 105F summer and I don't think it's a fan issue.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 19, 2012

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Motronic posted:

Plenty of people have had similar experiences. Also, you aren't supposed to charge a card before shipment (per most merchant agreements). Just call them and tell them you are canceling the order and they have until the end of the day before you do a charge back. And follow through.

That's what I figured. They don't have a merchant agreement with a major processor, (they used Square) so I figure it's the wild wild west over there. They responded and said they will send it overnight on Tuesday, but I don't have much faith with that. If they don't give me a tracking number by then I will just submit a chargeback. Thanks!

I guess the lesson is not to save a couple of bucks with a shady dealer.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Replaced the radiator last week due to a hole. I'm now getting highway and/or 'stuck in commute' overheating. It bopped around town fine the other night, but today took me 90 mins to get 20 miles due to it running hot. It will hold at the 'thermostat point' for about 5-10 minutes but then start to creep up, slowly but steadily. It does take a while to cool down; the system seems to be getting pretty hot, although we are not getting enough pressure to pop the cap. The fires of hell blow steadily through the heater, which is set wide open. I've bled and bled, and I'm here to ask if I'm missing anything besides "bleed it again"?

Water pump has ~500 miles on it, thermostat has about 3000. Upper hose is new, lower is older but good. 50/50 water/antifreeze. Clutch fan is removed and we have an aftermarket puller fan always-on. The system ran A-OK through the 105F summer and I don't think it's a fan issue.
My M3 had issues with overheating in bad traffic until I got the clutch fan replaced with a new one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bank posted:

They don't have a merchant agreement with a major processor, (they used Square)

Wow....they must be really small. You can't pull out more than like $2k of consumer not present transaction cash for more than 30 days after the sale with them. Fine for someone selling chotchkies at the flea market, not so much for online auto parts sales.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Kenshin posted:

My M3 had issues with overheating in bad traffic until I got the clutch fan replaced with a new one.

I have to wonder if you might have had other issues but a good fan was enough to keep it cool enough. These cars should technically be able to run without one, and the lower t-switch on the FDM kits doesn't do that much.

Johnny it sounds like either an air bubble, blockage or water pump problem. How did you bleed it? The hole at the top of the surge tank should be basically constantly pissing once it's bled right.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

revmoo posted:

I have to wonder if you might have had other issues but a good fan was enough to keep it cool enough. These cars should technically be able to run without one, and the lower t-switch on the FDM kits doesn't do that much.

Johnny it sounds like either an air bubble, blockage or water pump problem. How did you bleed it? The hole at the top of the surge tank should be basically constantly pissing once it's bled right.

I did the same thing I always do on this thing, which is:

-Park on upward slope (front of car highest)
-Fill via funnel through upper rad hose until fluid comes out of the top radiator hole
-Connect upper rad hose to radiator
-Reservoir to KALT with bleeder open
-Start car, heater wide open
-Massage upper hose until it's just moving fluid
-Bounce front of car up and down
-Revs to 2000 or so, holding for a few seconds
-Cap on around thermostat temp
-Bleeder screw in after we get nothing but fluid from a top hose squeeze

I've been slowly bleeding it more throughout today in the parking lot, and am getting virtually no bubbles. For a while I was getting bubbles, but it was warm enough that I wasn't sure if it was steam or air.

Rolling out in ~45 mins, hopefully she'll play nicer on the way home. If not, I swear to god I am going to hang the front of the car from the rafters to bleed it.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Koirhor posted:

It's being sold by the local Acura Dealership here in town, the current advertised price is 13700

The asking price is high, but it is fair considering it's at a dealership and lower mileage examples do command a premium. It is somewhat ironic that lower mileage cars sell for more, yet (beyond the total beater m3s) tend to have the most "deferred" maintenance that will make owning them more expensive than if you bought a car with 30K more miles that needed nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone paid 12K for it just because of the low mileage and 99 regardless of what original parts it is still rocking.

Jonny 290 posted:

Did you put water wetter in the new coolant? Maybe put the clutch fan back on and see if that's the issue (it would eliminate a bad bleed problem at least)?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Update: GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM.

About 7 miles the temp starts to creep; I pull over to a gas station and let it cool. I do notice that the radiator isn't really hot, and the lower hose is cold. Top hose is HOT and very pressurized. I let it cool, bleed out a few more bubbles, and take off, suspecting pump or thermostat.

Temp creeps after just a couple of miles, and just as I turn off the next EXIT...ZOOP! and the needle drops to dead center and stays there for 15 more miles, many of them at lower revs and higher load (I have found this illuminates water pump failures very quickly). No wiggles.

Is it possible I have a sticky thermostat? I'm going to let it cool with the hood popped and try to get it down to ambient tonight, and do another warmup/drive test around midnight.

Suspecting that yes, I did just need to bleed it some more; keep fingers crossed for me.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Jonny 290 posted:

I did the same thing I always do on this thing, which is:

-Park on upward slope (front of car highest)
-Fill via funnel through upper rad hose until fluid comes out of the top radiator hole
-Connect upper rad hose to radiator
-Reservoir to KALT with bleeder open
-Start car, heater wide open
-Massage upper hose until it's just moving fluid
-Bounce front of car up and down
-Revs to 2000 or so, holding for a few seconds
-Cap on around thermostat temp
-Bleeder screw in after we get nothing but fluid from a top hose squeeze

I've been slowly bleeding it more throughout today in the parking lot, and am getting virtually no bubbles. For a while I was getting bubbles, but it was warm enough that I wasn't sure if it was steam or air.

Rolling out in ~45 mins, hopefully she'll play nicer on the way home. If not, I swear to god I am going to hang the front of the car from the rafters to bleed it.

E36 radiator bleeding is some magic skill. When I did the new radiator for my 328 I jacked the front end, filled the reservior to kalt, and turned the heater on full blast with the engine running. Let it idle while I bled it (and filled it up) once in awhile. When the temperature mark hit the middle section and stayed steady I stopped trying to bleed it. Seems to have worked, but it really shouldn't be that hard.

No matter what I did, every time I opened the bleed screw I got bubbling.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
when you can burn yourself on the heat from the climate control, you've probably almost finished bleeding an e36. :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Seriously, with the combo of picky cooling and those eternal screams of IF IT HITS RED YOU MIGHT AS WELL GET A NEW HEAD DROP SHIPPED TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD it's a traumatic experience. Not sure if Gertie Mae's coming back from this one,Pa....oh never mind, she's fine.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Here's my method:

Assemble completely, fill surge tank.
Jack up front. Start engine. Heater set to max. A/C on to make warming up faster.
Remove bleed screw.
Top off surge tank constantly, keep it at the point of overflowing. Level will drop over time, keep topping off. Make a mess when it does overflow and hit the fan. Keep it totally filled.
Squeeze upper hose a bunch of times.
Rev engine at throttle body, hold around 2-3k by ear.
Once you see the tiny stream at the top of the surge tank running constantly you should shortly see your bleed hole running clear of bubbles. Squeezing hoses and revving motor, wait until bleed screw runs clear and close screw. Keep the revs up and the stream running. You really need to take your time on this step. Then, remove a couple oz from the surge (or rev the crap out of the motor like I do and just let it spill out, and then cap off.

At this point the surge tank will be overfilled but not 100% full. Go drive the car somewhat hard to test and make sure it's good. Feel free to crack the bleeder and get some more air out if you want, but what I've found is that you can actually keep a fair amount of air at the top of the system without issue. I've actually stopped even bothering getting the last of the air out the next day. Anyway, drive it a couple days and then check the level. I've found that I almost always end up having to top it off to Kalt the next morning even after leaving it nearly full initially. Your car may vary. I think the most important part of the process is the overfilled surge during the bleed, and the revving of the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there any reason why the Xenon ignitors and fog lights on an e46 would be related?

Because as I wait to get around to replacing my ignitor, I turned on the fog light the other day in order to throw a bit more light when my left xenon doesn't come on. So I turn the headlights on (left stays off) and as soon as I turn the fog light on, the left xenon ignites! This has happened a good 3 times from cold start so far. Really weird!