Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VCR 2.0
Oct 5, 2007
Well I learned a lot about the cars and thought it was a great special! The TV Van had me in stitches, and the Aqua-Lotus actually working had me cheering. Obviously it wasn't Vietnam or Botswana, but I was expecting a special about Bond cars and that's exactly what I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Top Gear - The Worst Car In the History Of The World. May and Clarkson DVD out on november 19th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nenQI4HrUhk

Also, Hammond got an Omega Speedmaster Professional in the Bond Special. Just like mine :)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I have never cared about cars at all, but I saw an episode of Top Gear a week ago and absolutely loved it. I blew through Series 17 and am halfway done with 18. Are the early seasons as good? I know a lot of shows don't get into their stride until later on and don't really want to waste my time starting from the beginning if they are going to be bad.

I've seriously learned more about cars in the last week than I have my whole life. There's still a lot of stuff I still don't get (what the gently caress is a brake horsepower) but I'm tryin. It ends up taking me 2 hours to watch a 1 hour episode because I keep pausing it to go look at wikipedia. I might even try to change my own oil this week :v:

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2012

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I have cared about cars at all, but I saw an episode of Top Gear a week ago and absolutely loved it. I blew through Series 17 and am halfway done with 18. Are the early seasons as good? I know a lot of shows don't get into their stride until later on and don't really want to waste my time starting from the beginning if they are going to be bad.

I've seriously learned more about cars in the last week than I have my whole life. I might even try to change my own oil this week :v:
Yes, most of them are pretty great. Keep in mind they kept getting better and better as they went on, but even the earlier seasons are tons of fun.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cars! I got started in a similar fashion (except for me it was Forza Motorsport 1 for Xbox)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

17 and especially 18 were pretty weak series, in my opinion. Yes the earlier seasons are good. Very early seasons? Not so much. But for the me, the meat of the series is ~9-15.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't watched his wine things, but I haven't been bored by anything May has done yet. He takes on boring subjects and makes them interesting with history and knowledge.

Oz and James Big Wine Adventure and Oz and James Drink to Britain are really, really good.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

17 and especially 18 were pretty weak series, in my opinion. Yes the earlier seasons are good. Very early seasons? Not so much. But for the me, the meat of the series is ~9-15.

I forget, when was the first cheap car challenge (complete with Jezza ramming his Volvo through a wall and winning anyway due to his car costing 1 pound)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

I forget, when was the first cheap car challenge (complete with Jezza ramming his Volvo through a wall and winning anyway due to his car costing 1 pound)?
Series 4, episode 3.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

(what the gently caress is a brake horsepower)
They're british and use funny language normal english speakers rarely/never use. 1 brake horsepower = 1 horsepower. It's a fancy way of saying it's what the engine outputs before drivetrain losses, as opposed to dyno horsepower you get from the wheels.

Also:
Saloon = sedan
Coupay = coupe
MPV = minivan
boot = trunk
arse = rear end
Estate = SUV. Or maybe it means station wagon, I can't keep this poo poo straight.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 9, 2012

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't watched his wine things, but I haven't been bored by anything May has done yet. He takes on boring subjects and makes them interesting with history and knowledge.

Watch them now. Its not only amazing but super informative. I impress people super hard from what I learned on his two wine adventures. The drink to Britain is pretty much a beer show.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

grover posted:

They're british and use funny language normal english speakers rarely/never use. 1 brake horsepower = 1 horsepower. It's a fancy way of saying it's what the engine outputs before drivetrain losses, as opposed to dyno horsepower you get from the wheels.

Also:
Saloon = sedan
Coupay = coupe
MPV = minivan
boot = trunk
arse = rear end
Estate = SUV. Or maybe it means station wagon, I can't keep this poo poo straight.
Caravan = RV
Bendy-bus = well I guess that's self-explanatory but I never hear that here

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Driving on the left side of the road = driving on the right side of the road

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Estate is Station Wagon.

Also:

Bonnet=Hood
Hood=Roof(convertible)
Boot=Trunk
Wing=Fender

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sneaking Mission posted:

Driving on the left side of the road = driving on the right side of the road
Are you sure? :confused: I thought everyone in england drove like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6u7gHwLx4w

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

I have never cared about cars at all, but I saw an episode of Top Gear a week ago and absolutely loved it. I blew through Series 17 and am halfway done with 18. Are the early seasons as good? I know a lot of shows don't get into their stride until later on and don't really want to waste my time starting from the beginning if they are going to be bad.

I've seriously learned more about cars in the last week than I have my whole life. There's still a lot of stuff I still don't get (what the gently caress is a brake horsepower) but I'm tryin. It ends up taking me 2 hours to watch a 1 hour episode because I keep pausing it to go look at wikipedia. I might even try to change my own oil this week :v:

Season one and to some extent two were not really the same show as everything after them. They were way more serious and season one had some fat guy that did nothing interesting ever instead of James. I'd still watch them (first, going back to them makes them seem worse) but season three on are all fantastic.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

pik_d posted:

Season one and to some extent two were not really the same show as everything after them. They were way more serious and season one had some fat guy that did nothing interesting ever instead of James. I'd still watch them (first, going back to them makes them seem worse) but season three on are all fantastic.

I got started watching the Season 8 episode with Michael Gambon giving the best interview ever. Around the best of times for Top Gear I think with enough played straight that it didn't seem too constructed.

Also, I will always have this show to thank for making me watch James May's other various shows. I feel like I could listen to him talk about nearly anything.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Okan170 posted:

... Michael Gambon giving the best interview ever.

Thank you for agreeing with me on this. "It made my eyes water." Jesus Christ...

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

I guess I could agree with that, though I would probably say for me the "meat" of the show would be 6-13 or something, I enjoyed the simpler times of TG, but honestly I am not too picky at this point, I want new episodes. :colbert:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Okan170 posted:

Also, I will always have this show to thank for making me watch James May's other various shows. I feel like I could listen to him talk about nearly anything.

This. :allears:

James May, can you provide a constant narration of my life directly streamed into my head? It'd certainly make a day of mundane tasks seem a whole world more interesting.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sockington posted:

James May, can you provide a constant narration of my life directly streamed into my head? It'd certainly make a day of mundane tasks seem a whole world more interesting.

Yes, but you'll be forced to wear his pink jumper at all times. Is it really worth it?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Bloody hell. I learned something new yesterday; That James Bond special aired in Poland, and well... Poland is nuts for Top Gear.

Millions of hits in the space of an hour nearly brought a bunch of servers down. About 45% of requests to the website went unanswered, that's roughly 2.3 million.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

No, the "brake" in brake horsepower means "horsepower at the brake", i.e. whatever load cell etc is doing the measurement. It can be used to apply to gross or net, at the crank or at the wheels, whatever. It just denotes that it is the power being output by whatever you are measuring.

You say "BHP at the crank" or "BHP at the wheels" to differentiate the two. The only real difference with the US is that rating power without accessories etc was never really a thing.

There's also horsepower in the sense of taxation classes from the early 20th century, but that's a whole other subject, it's unrelated to any concept of actual engine output.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Sockington posted:

This. :allears:

Yes... tell me everything about getting drunk on beer (properly), how man went to the moon and how to build a massive lego house or make toilet paper with Richard Hammond's biography.

I'll be chuffed.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So James and Jeremy have been keeping themselves busy.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Top Gear blokes starting supercar road trip across USA

quote:

According to the Twitter musings of one Jeremy Clarkson, the Top Gear UK crew is back in the States for another harebrained adventure, this time in a trio of comely supercars. Judging by some grainy Twitter pics, Clarkson is in Las Vegas with Richard Hammond and James May, set to drive cross-country in a Lexus LFA, SRT Viper and Aston Martin Vanquish.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Finished season 1 just now. Not-James-May was loving awful, so glad they didn't keep that guy.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I'm somewhat surprised by this, given that Clarkson 'left 14 speeding tickets unpaid' from their 2008ish special. Of course, I can't find any proof of this, beyond their statement. :shobon:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

So James and Jeremy have been keeping themselves busy.

Nov. 19th

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
https://twitter.com/jcrclarksonesq/status/269975683709693952

Cool. Obviously Hammond in the Viper and May in the Aston then, right?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No way. Clarkson will want the Viper. He fell in love with the ZR1 in the previous American special. The Viper is a car synonymous with simple, brute force power. Clarkson laps that stuff up.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

kylej posted:

No way. Clarkson will want the Viper. He fell in love with the ZR1 in the previous American special. The Viper is a car synonymous with simple, brute force power. Clarkson laps that stuff up.

He has the Lexus.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh sorry didn't click on any of those tweets. I'm very surprised by that. Those cars seem perfect for the

Clarkson/Viper - Bombastic
May/Aston - British and refined
Hammond/Lexus - Boring

pairing

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kylej posted:

One of Clarkson's latest car reviews that he does for newspapers he mentions how much he has fallen in love with the Lexus LFA.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I really like how less scripted the early seasons are. The newer ones feel really fake in comparison.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Worst Car in the History of the World special comes out this week. :woop:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

The Worst Car in the History of the World special comes out this week. :woop:

It's either one owned by uf, or sockington. We can get the play-by-play here at least 4 months sooner..

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Would one of you happen to remember that episode where Clarkson asks May what a certain tool was called and May explained to him with a straight face that it was referred to as a 'bumfondle'? I know I have seen this at some point but don't remember if it was in one of the episodes or outtakes. And if it was in the outtakes, from which season?

duep fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 18, 2012

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I really like how less scripted the early seasons are. The newer ones feel really fake in comparison.

Yeah it definitely becomes more obvious in the newer seasons. Some episodes are worse than others though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Viggen posted:

It's either one owned by uf, or sockington. We can get the play-by-play here at least 4 months sooner..

My wife's old 2004 Focus. I swear I replaced more on that piece of poo poo than any other car I've owned.

It went through an offroad rally at the hands of my wife. She left the road at 140km/h, slid down an angled berm on the outside of the corner, got airborne off the driveway which sloped up the other way, and then flew rear end backwards into a collection of small trees and brush.

$9,000 later and insurance had it back on the road.

But if course, that happened about a month after we got it back from this $7,000 body job from someone running a red light and smacking me on the passenger front wheel.

So that Focus never felt "right" again until I put the nail in the coffin one last time.

The airbags had never once deployed in this checkered history. Still got $5500 from insurance for it in 2011. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Out of curiosity since it's a car-related tv show, does anyone else here watch Canada's Worst Driver?