Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Imma come to your house and beat you over the head with a 70-200/4

I do love that lens :) I just think the 17-40 is pretty special for the price. Buy both!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Wyeth posted:

17-40 is the best deal in L lenses by a large margin.

To me the extra stop isn't worth double the price and the big weight difference. Sure, it vignettes, which I like anyways and is a one click fix in lightroom if you don't.

Yeah, I love my 17-40. There hasn't been one instance where I've wanted that extra stop and couldn't just boost my ISO. 17mm on full frame is just awesome. That and my 85mm 1.8 are by far my favorite lenses.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I might have a chance to pick up this lens used for a reasonable price, in order to replace the Canon kit lens that I sold like 6 months ago. However, can anyone who understands Tamron's alphabet soup naming convention confirm that it is the 2.8 Tamorn that we all apparently love so much?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Yep, there are only two Tamron 17-50s - one with vibration compensation (which is more expensive with poorer image quality), and one without, which is this one (and the one you want).

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I've got the chance to pick up a sigma 30mm 1.4 for $420 NZD (which translates to somewhere around $350 USD). The owner lost the lens hood and mentions that there might be a backfocus issue, but I've read the article on lensrentals, so it probably isn't a huge thing and I know I can send it for calibration with my camera if it really bugs me. I've already got a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 which I use generally and I like using with my Canon XS, but I think getting the Sigma would be great for night time photos because I enjoy doing night landscapes and find that even indoors at night time I keep butting up against the terrible ISO perfomance of my body. Is that a fair price for it and what is everyone's experience of the lens themselves?

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 25, 2012

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

rawrr posted:

Yep, there are only two Tamron 17-50s - one with vibration compensation (which is more expensive with poorer image quality), and one without, which is this one (and the one you want).

For Nikon there's actually three - two without VC and one with. The two without are one with an in lens focus motor and one without. I don't think anything changed optically between those two, though, so it's not a huge deal unless you have an entry level Nikon body.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

Trambopaline posted:

I've got the chance to pick up a sigma 30mm 1.4 for $420 NZD (which translates to somewhere around $350 USD). The owner lost the lens hood and mentions that there might be a backfocus issue, but I've read the article on lensrentals, so it probably isn't a huge thing and I know I can send it for calibration with my camera if it really bugs me. I've already got a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 which I use generally and I like using with my Canon XS, but I think getting the Sigma would be great for night time photos because I enjoy doing night landscapes and find that even indoors at night time I keep butting up against the terrible ISO perfomance of my body. Is that a fair price for it and what is everyone's experience of the lens themselves?

I bought mine for pretty much the same reason that you mention, my 400D has terrible ISO performance so I wanted something fast. I think it gives really nice photos in normal light but I find it frustrating to use when it's getting a bit dark since the autofocus of the 400D has to really struggle to get a lock when the lens is fully open and the light is low. So I almost never use it at 1.4 in low light and I don't think the image quality is that much superior to the nifty fifty, considering the price difference, so I wouldn't buy the 30 mm over the fifty if it's for low light situations only. But a 30 mm is a whole lot more useful then a 50 mm indoors which means that I still end up using it every now and then. And your XS might have a better autofocus so you might have better luck using it in low light.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get a 35/2 for a lot less money.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Get a 35/2 for a lot less money.

Not in New Zealand, unfortunately for us. Cheapest I could find the 35/2 new is NZ$470. But I would pay the extra if it meant not worrying about back focus.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Hotwax Residue posted:

Not in New Zealand, unfortunately for us. Cheapest I could find the 35/2 new is NZ$470. But I would pay the extra if it meant not worrying about back focus.

Honestly, if you're buying the 30mm f/1.4 because you actually need what it offers, then back-focusing isn't an issue. Getting the Sigma is about being able to get the shot, period. If you need f/1.4 because you're shooting moving subjects in low light, given the shallow depth of field, mis-focusing is almost a given even if the camera's AF is dead on lock because what's in focus one second won't be the next.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
That and anyone that "tests" a f/1.4 lens for "backfocus" without a tripod and ruler doesn't know what they are talking about. So make sure your friend isn't mistaken. I had a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 back when I shot Nikon APS-C cameras and it was phenomenally sharp even wide open. I hardly ever took it off my camera. I may have just won the QC lottery but based on my experience if I had a crop frame DSLR I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
I'm finishing up my peace corps service next year, and I'm getting the travel bug again. I'm thinking of going on a month or two long backpacking tour through asia/europe/maybe africa after I finish next year. I brought over all my equipment, but while I'm in the US on home leave, I'm planning on bring back all of it, save a few lenses for travel (I'm thinking my 50mm and 35-105mm).

So my dilemma: I won't really need to edit during the trip so I feel there's no need to have my computer, but I only have a limited amount of memory cards. All I really want to bring is my camping backpack and a day bag, so I'm not sure I want my 15' macbook taking up space up in there just for file transfer. I could bring my photography harddrives to transfer the RAW files, but I'd be weary about transferring them on computers that could have viruses on them (like most hostel computers do). Or I possibly could stock up on a load of memory cards while I'm at home (or buy a small, cheap computer?), and hope for the best. What do you guys recommend?

Also, any recommendations on good travel bags? I was looking at possibly this one: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/photography/photography-gear-and-bags/national-geographic-walkabout-tote-bag

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Private Label posted:

I'm finishing up my peace corps service next year, and I'm getting the travel bug again. I'm thinking of going on a month or two long backpacking tour through asia/europe/maybe africa after I finish next year. I brought over all my equipment, but while I'm in the US on home leave, I'm planning on bring back all of it, save a few lenses for travel (I'm thinking my 50mm and 35-105mm).

So my dilemma: I won't really need to edit during the trip so I feel there's no need to have my computer, but I only have a limited amount of memory cards. All I really want to bring is my camping backpack and a day bag, so I'm not sure I want my 15' macbook taking up space up in there just for file transfer. I could bring my photography harddrives to transfer the RAW files, but I'd be weary about transferring them on computers that could have viruses on them (like most hostel computers do). Or I possibly could stock up on a load of memory cards while I'm at home (or buy a small, cheap computer?), and hope for the best. What do you guys recommend?

Also, any recommendations on good travel bags? I was looking at possibly this one: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/photography/photography-gear-and-bags/national-geographic-walkabout-tote-bag

if your camera can use SD cards just get a bunch of those. Even the 32 gig cards are super affordable

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Paragon8 posted:

if your camera can use SD cards just get a bunch of those. Even the 32 gig cards are super affordable

This. Plus they're small and light so even if you brought 20 cards it still wouldn't be much to pack around.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, buy a stack of cards and then mail them to someone for safekeeping as you fill them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Seriously. I found a 64GB Sandisk class 10 in Best Buy of all places for like $45.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

Seriously. I found a 64GB Sandisk class 10 in Best Buy of all places for like $45.

it is actually ridiculous when you think about how much CF cards are. I could double my current capacity now with SD cards for the price of one 16GB CF card.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paragon8 posted:

it is actually ridiculous when you think about how much CF cards are. I could double my current capacity now with SD cards for the price of one 16GB CF card.

CF costs are what made me switch to SDXC when I got the 5D3. No point in paying $$60 for a 16GB CF when you can get a 64GB SDXC for $5 more. :argh: SanDisk

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

CF costs are what made me switch to SDXC when I got the 5D3. No point in paying $$60 for a 16GB CF when you can get a 64GB SDXC for $5 more. :argh: SanDisk

The only downside to that is apparently Canon cheaped out and did not include a fast SD slot on the camera. According to a few reviews it cannot write nearly as fast to a SD card compared to the CF slot.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

hah, glad I didn't go for the sandisk extreme pro cards then.

damnit canon.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

Manos posted:

The only downside to that is apparently Canon cheaped out and did not include a fast SD slot on the camera. According to a few reviews it cannot write nearly as fast to a SD card compared to the CF slot.

Aaand that's my problem. I can only use CF cards in my 5D1... would you all still recommend getting a bunch of CF cards? Maybe getting a small travel computer would actually be cheaper than buying more cards.

Private Label fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 11, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A $250 netbook might work for you. A quick look at Newegg suggests you can get a 320GB harddisk, in something with a 10" screen that probably weighs about as much as your camera and claims to have an 8-hour battery life. You could more than double that HD capacity with a USB-driven external harddrive for another $80-120.

This will also allow your relatives to bug you more frequently about how you're totally set up to check your email so why don't you ever write!?!

CF cards are physically much larger than SD - are there adaptors so you can just use SD in a CF slot?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

CF cards are physically much larger than SD - are there adaptors so you can just use SD in a CF slot?
Ayup.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long will you be traveling? These transcend cards have been great for me and you can fit a whole lot of 5d1 photos on each: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208529 A small computer would, of course, get you a magnitude more storage space, but it's still a lot bigger than a few extra CF cards.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

I'll be traveling at least a month, but it'll most likely end up being two months. I like the idea of maybe buying one or two more CF cards (maybe I can get some black friday internet deals), and then using CF-to-SD card adapter. Are those pretty reliable?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Cross-posting from the Lighting Thread:

I'm getting back in to the game, and don't have my strobes anymore. It's been a couple years, but I had a B400 and B800, and some random adorama/b&h stands/umbrellas/reflectors and some cactus v4s. I don't have any of those any more. I think I spent around $750 or so for that whole set up.

Are those still good options today, or have any new products came out that still make that sort of selection viable?

I didn't purchase the stands/umbrellas in the first place, but I vaguely recall not getting Paul C. Buff stands/umbrellas/anything but the lights because they were crappy and overpriced. Is that still true?

I was just going to make a big purchase from there with their 10' stands and umbrellas, adding an extra light to their beginners package and the other accessories.

I guess what I'm saying is for ~$750, can I get 2 decent flash units, stands, and umbrellas, and maybe a soft box / other accessories like travel bags, etc. I'm ok with ordering from more than one place here if there's a big difference in price/quality.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

Cross-posting from the Lighting Thread:

PCB is definitely still a good option, IMO. There are other brands that are even cheaper, but perhaps of slighty lower quality.

You can also checkout Flashpoint monolights on Adorama. Those seem to be popular budget strobes.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Flash/Lighting&cat2=Monolights&cat3=Monolights&feature1=Flashpoint

Calumet also makes some monolights that I see get recommended frequently.

As for modifiers, there a lot of third party brands now. Do a search on Amazaon for modifiers with your mount. They are considerably cheaper than brand name modifiers. As always, you get what you pay for. Some say the third party stuff isn't as of good quality. I have a 60" Octabox that I got on Amazon for $100 and it works great.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Thanks!

I think I'm gonna scoop this up: http://www.adorama.com/FP3203.html

Seems like it covers all my bases pretty well and it's a lot cheaper.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Just for the record, I HATE my Tamron and can't wait to replace that bitch. In anything other than super perfect light, it shits the bed. I just got back from a shoot and almost 50% of my 7D+tammy shots are out of focus, and my 5D + 85 1.8 shots are all perfectly in focus.

Last weekend it worked great...wtc.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Maybe it broke? Email tamron, their support's seemed pretty good to me in my limited experience.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I have a Blackrapid RS-5 and plan on walking around Korea with just that and my Nikon D7000 + 50mm. Will the front bumper suffice in keeping the thing stabilized behind me or is the Brad a must have?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Disharmony posted:

I have a Blackrapid RS-5 and plan on walking around Korea with just that and my Nikon D7000 + 50mm. Will the front bumper suffice in keeping the thing stabilized behind me or is the Brad a must have?

Should be fine if you're just walking normally.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Mr. Despair posted:

Maybe it broke? Email tamron, their support's seemed pretty good to me in my limited experience.

All it did between then and now was sit in a bag. I've had issues with it hunting for focus too, before, just not quite as lovely end results. At this point I'd rather just upgrade.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, oh new thread! It's kind of interesting to see the older regulars come in here with newer upgraded gear and that the tastes have matured a bit. I do need some help, somebody talk some sense into me.

I really like walk around city photography, taking snapshots of people, drunk people, quirky things, and pictures relating to culture, history, city things, travel poo poo. And definitely pictures of food. Basically, I'm using it like a glorified point and shoot :ohdear:

I use to be extremely eager and passionate about photography but nowadays I'm more feeling meh. Had my hands on a 5d3 and I really really want to jump full frame. The biggest amount of fun I ever had was using a flea market EOS 500N with a 17-40L and rolls of velvia 100 or TriX 400 in South East Asia. But film is getting bulky/cumbersome/lazy to develop and expensive to carry during my vacations. Might as well just get a full frame and :dwi: Plus I don't have to do silly film changes during super dark or super light areas. I will probably just get a Ricoh GR1s with TriX400 pushed to 1600 for those "moody grainy shots".

I really want to get back into photography and not be so passive about it. 2 girlfriends both have bitched about me taking photos *all the time* but nope. Going to dork out this time. Especially when I have seen other people's work getting better and my pictures are just "meh".

Sorry for the gear list, but if any comments appreciated. I have
  • 50D
  • crop only - canon 17-55 2.8 IS USM, it's my favourite
  • crop only - tokina 12-24/F4 - barely used :eng99:
  • Crop Only - sigma 30/1.4 It's fun, but I have trouble using it indoors
  • 3 broken fifty nifty's
  • 17-40 F4
  • 85 F1.2
  • 70-200 F4 and 1.4X TC
  • Canon F-1,40mm 1.2
  • EOS 500N (broken, short circuited eats up battery)
  • Olynpus XZ-1
  • Canon S100 - cracked screen

So if I do go FF it's a big jump and mostly dumping my cropped gear. Won't sell it and will probably find some friend/relative to give away since that's how I started this hobby. I'm really inching towards a 5d3 + 16-35 F/2.8 Or a 24mm 1.4 with a backup RX100 and some film body like a Bessa R3A + 35mm or point and shoot film camera like a GR1s. Not too knowledgeable on the film end, so more suggestions welcome!

Some people love long lenses and while it's fun to go WOW and look at those photos, I just don't have the patience to slap on those super teles and go to town. Probably the skill too. gently caress that's what I'm missing :smith:

Another option is to dump everything and go to the dark side, medium format. Just use a smart phone for regular facebook food pictures or what not, a rx100. and go medium format 645 or 6X6. Buy a lightmeter, and go to town. Options, options, options...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

caberham posted:

Another option is to dump everything and go to the dark side, medium format. Just use a smart phone for regular facebook food pictures or what not, a rx100. and go medium format 645 or 6X6. Buy a lightmeter, and go to town. Options, options, options...

Only you can decide what gear you want. It kind of seems like you're changing gear just to change it. Why the 5d3 all at once? That's a pretty big jump from the 50D, have you considered getting a 5d or 5d2 and pocketing the difference for lenses and such?

The 24-70 is basically the equivalent of the 17-50, and the 17-40 is regarded as better than the 16-35 if I'm remembering right.

If you like manual focus shooting, you could go the other direction. Get a mirrorless (the NEX series have APS-C sensors) and adapt old manual-focus glass. You can even adapt rangefinder lenses since there's no mirror. The NEX series have focus peaking, they mark a red area in the viewfinder where the image is sharpest so you can use that to focus. Alternately Nikon lenses can be used pretty directly manual focus if you have a non-entry-level body. You can also get a film body for any system and get a wider perspective out of your existing FF lenses.

Finally, medium format isn't that expensive to get into. $500 will get you a solid start in a Pentax 67 system and I'm pretty sure the Hasselblad system as well. It will get you a nice Fuji GS/GSW690 rangefinder. Or it will get you a really nice Pentax/Mamiya 645 or Bronica SQ/ETRS. Or if you just want to dip your toes in there's plenty of cheap options like a TLR, a folder, or a Kodak Medalist (needs to be converted or have film rerolled onto 620 spools).

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 24-70 is basically the equivalent of the 17-50, and the 17-40 is regarded as better than the 16-35 if I'm remembering right.

Woot fatigue likes the 17-40L and he knows what he's talking about. :mmmhmm:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

I use to be extremely eager and passionate about photography but nowadays I'm more feeling meh....

How is a 5d3 going to get you back into photography if you're not getting into with the 50d now? The 50d is a good camera and you can do a lot with it. I know having something new can help a person get excited again, but you might want try getting back into it again with what you already have. And a better way to get something new + get excited again might be just dipping your toes into the MF game like Paul MaudDib suggested with a TLR or something. It'll be fun and new without making a huge jump all at once. And even if you decide to go to a 5D3 eventually, you're not going to regret having the film camera to fool around with.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just ordered a NEX-5N and I'm really excited - something that'll beat my D300 for image quality and low light shots, *and* I get to use my Grandpa's old Minolta glass with focus peaking? Hell yeah, real steel f/1.4 here I come. And at $478 for the kit, I bet I'll be able to sell it in a year or two for $250 at least, so it's quite a steal!

Seriously, I know the 5N is old news now, but it's shocking to me how that sensor can produce images comparable to nearly any APS-C camera.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

if you want to dramatically shake poo poo up why not try that fuji x-pro 1 thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

if you want to dramatically shake poo poo up why not try that fuji x-pro 1 thing

Can you mount any glass on the x-pro1/e-x1? I was under the impression that there was something with the flange distance which would cause trouble, I've only heard of people mounting M glass.

I'm still considering selling all my gear and using the x-pro1 for a year or so and just practicing the basics.