Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

forever whatever posted:

Recently saw two completely amazing (and completely different) things on streaming.

First, Peep Show, a British sitcom about two roommates in their thirties who have very different lifestyles but share in common unbelievably terrible decision-making abilities and the social skills of well, most of the people that post in E/N. Unique to the format, most of the camera angles are shot in the first-person and there's a lot of interior dialogue. I've never seen a show quite like it but if I had to compare it to something else it is maybe like a more subtle It's Always Sunny. I spent the past 3 weeks blazing through the 7 seasons (42 eps) Netflix has to offer, the entire series.

The entire series so far. Season eight begins on November 25th.

edit: I'm looking for something really cheesy and very 80s/90s to watch tonight. I watched Airborne recently and want something similar to that tone. Any suggestions?

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kro-Bar posted:

edit: I'm looking for something really cheesy and very 80s/90s to watch tonight. I watched Airborne recently and want something similar to that tone. Any suggestions?

Haven't see Airborne, but Waxwork sounds like a good fit.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Kro-Bar posted:

Did somebody say

Cheesy?

and...

EIGHTIES??

there's only one true answer

I don't know what Airborne is but I was too busy constructing this post out of half a tube of toothpaste, some tin foil, and a mechanical pencil to check, sorry

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I've been watching through MacGyver and it's pretty drat awesome. My favourite episode so far involves him dismantling a car during a car chase and turning it into various weapons. The one where he patches a hole in a hot air balloon with a map and some duct tape and the terrorists stop shooting at him out of respect was pretty great too.

B. D. Wong
Feb 12, 2010
Third season and on of Macguyver are terrible though.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The Story of Riki Oh and Poultrygeist have to be my favorite things on streaming right now.

Any movies Lloyd Kaufman directs look like they must have been so fun to be a part of.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Kro-Bar posted:

License to Drive! Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, and Heather Graham.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Skywalker OG posted:

The Story of Riki Oh and Poultrygeist have to be my favorite things on streaming right now.

I'm sorry, but Thankskilling is clearly the superior fowl-related B-movie horror film. I mean come on, the first frames are of a pilgrim woman's heaving chest, and the first words spoken are "Nice tits, bitch!" by a homicidal turkey with an axe before he dismembering said buxom pilgrim woman.

The movie gets more bizarre amazing from there.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

MrGreenShirt posted:

I'm sorry, but Thankskilling is clearly the superior fowl-related B-movie horror film. I mean come on, the first frames are of a pilgrim woman's heaving chest, and the first words spoken are "Nice tits, bitch!" by a homicidal turkey with an axe before he dismembering said buxom pilgrim woman.

We've actually covered this film in an episode, and have a cocktail/drinking game for it. The aforementioned "Nice tits, bitch" is the finish your drink line; normally we put that near the end of the film, but a) the line perfectly encapsulates the spirit of the film, and b) you really need to get one drink in you right at the start to get you through that wonderful, uncomfortable train ride.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magnus Gallant posted:

Why haven't they put Eraserhead on there? I lost my copy and I want to watch that movie again to see if I just didn't understand it's worth the first time I watched it (approx 17 or so).

Wilhelm Scream posted:

It's on Criterion's Hulu section so I doubt we'll see it on Netflix anytime soon.
If you're still curious, you can now watch it for free on that Hulu channel for the next nine days.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

MrGreenShirt posted:

...I'll watch that right now.

Edit: just started, and I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this. Then will listen to that Alcohollywood episode and watch it again.

Edit: does this movie take place in the Muppets Universe or something?

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 18, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

I've been watching through MacGyver and it's pretty drat awesome. My favourite episode so far involves him dismantling a car during a car chase and turning it into various weapons. The one where he patches a hole in a hot air balloon with a map and some duct tape and the terrorists stop shooting at him out of respect was pretty great too.

That last thing sounds amazing.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kro-Bar posted:

A little late but C.H.U.D

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Volume posted:

A little late but C.H.U.D

The Stuff is also great. The most overt '80's movie I can think of is Terrorvision, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll have to check out License to Drive and C.H.U.D., which I've heard a million jokes about but never actually watched.

Once I start caring about Thanksgiving I'll have to watch the various killer turkey movies. I assume they're all horrible, though.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Hewlett posted:

That show is great; if you like it, those two actors also have a sketch comedy show, That Mitchell and Webb Look, that's also on streaming and is hilarious.
I'm not sure proper emphasis has been given to just how awesome Mitchell and Webb look is. It is arguably the greatest sketch comedy show ever. Certainly up there with Mr Show and Python and kids in the hall and (insert your favorite here). The sketches will stay with you like forever. Even the ones you initially hate.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched Serpico for the first time last night. I'd always heard of it and was sort of aware of "that movie where Pacino is a hippie cop," but I had no idea it was directed by Sidney Lumet or based on an actual NYC cop. It was incredible. Lumet had a way of getting the most exhaustive, breathtaking performances out of Pacino. Watching his transformation from clean-cut beat cop to a vagrant-looking pariah was incredible. I know that Network and Dog Day Afternoon (my favorite Lumet movies) are on HD Instant Watch as well. Can anyone recommend other Instant Watch movies that are in the same vein as these three?

Also caught Chinatown earlier today. A nice little love letter to noir with a great performance from Faye Dunaway. I still like Polanski's "Apartment" films a lot more than this, but it was beautifully shot and had some surprising plot elements you might expect from Polanski. The noir section of Instant Watch seems a little weak except for Night of the Hunter and a couple others, but are there any you guys could recommend?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MrGreenShirt posted:

Holy crap, we just watched this. That was the best worst movie I've ever seen.

Did they make the sequel......in space???

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Alien Vs Ninja is a great foreign B movie about ... well, aliens and ninjas. I originally watched it a long time ago with subtitles and it was pretty hilarious.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Holy crap, we just watched this. That was the best worst movie I've ever seen.

Did they make the sequel......in space???

IMDB's got a surprisingly in depth trivia section for this movie.

It says that they just put that in there.

However, I did see a Thanks killing 3 in there somewhere so it's a possibility that that turkey did travel to space at some point.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

From what I can tell, Thankskilling 3 is just the second movie, and they called it that because the plot involves them retrieving the last, lost copy of the fictional Thanskilling 2, which takes place in space.

I can't wait to see it.

VVV Exactly, and Thankskilling 2 is called Thankskilling 3.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 19, 2012

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
THANKSKILLING 2 is real apparently. They had a kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jordandowney/thankskilling-sequel-horror-comedy-feature-film

If only I had known....I want to be insulted by Turkie.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Citycop posted:

Alien Vs Ninja is a great foreign B movie about ... well, aliens and ninjas. I originally watched it a long time ago with subtitles and it was pretty hilarious.
If we're gonna talk about silly Japanese movies, I have to reccomend the recently added Karate-Robo Zaborgar. It's a remake of a 70's tokusatsu show that I feel like hits the right blend of sincerity and irony for a property so inherently ridiculous.

Trailer (though it kind of spoils an event halfway through that I enjoyed being suprised by): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqb4PrC8EVs

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Randomly saw this show called Death Valley on there today. Ended up burning through the entire season. It's basically Reno 911 meets vampires, werewolves and zombies. It has a really great cast of characters and the writing is pretty lowbrow but nails what it is going for.

Sadly it was on MTV and so it didn't last past a first season, but it wasn't too long ago so hopefully it could still be picked up by another network. Ends on a hell of a cliffhanger too.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

vmdvr posted:

I'm not sure proper emphasis has been given to just how awesome Mitchell and Webb look is. It is arguably the greatest sketch comedy show ever. Certainly up there with Mr Show and Python and kids in the hall and (insert your favorite here). The sketches will stay with you like forever. Even the ones you initially hate.

That's Numberwang!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vmdvr posted:

And there's also a smartphone app for David Mitchell's Soapbox so you can get heart warming rants while stuck in public transportation.

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's this documentary called Forks Over Knives on Netflix. It's about the correlation between cancer, heart- and coronary diseases and diet. Apparently, if you eat your veggies instead your steaks, you can overcome most of the diseases out there. The documentary makes a pretty convincing case.

Check it out. At the very least, it's really interesting.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
For the people wondering about Thankskilling 3 I think it was added to itunes last week and has been in limited theaters. I can't wait for it to get added to Netflix. The first movie was glorious. "You've been stuffed"

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

MustardMaster posted:

There's this documentary called Forks Over Knives on Netflix. It's about the correlation between cancer, heart- and coronary diseases and diet. Apparently, if you eat your veggies instead your steaks, you can overcome most of the diseases out there. The documentary makes a pretty convincing case.
I would take the argument that you can avoid cancer by avoiding meat with a very hefty bag of salt. While the notion of eating less meat and dairy and more whole foods is an obviously sound principal, most of the science in the film has been shown to be completely misrepresented.

http://anthonycolpo.com/forks-over-knives-the-latest-vegan-nonsense-dissected-debunked-and-destroyed/

http://welldonechef.com/forks-over-knives-indeed.html

kuddles fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 19, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrGreenShirt posted:

And makes no explanation for why a topless pilgrim woman is running around in beginning.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

etalian posted:

And makes no explanation for why a topless pilgrim woman is running around in beginning.

Because boobs.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

MustardMaster posted:

Check it out. At the very least, it's really interesting.
There's opposing science that suggests that carbs cause cancer and all those lovely diseases.

Check out: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353362647&sr=1-1 if you're interested in the other viewpoint. It's always good to hear both sides of the argument.

Silly Burrito posted:

Because boobs.
At least half of my Netflix picks are made because it seems like there will be boobs in the movie. Foreign films and lovely exploitation movies, good times.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Silly Burrito posted:

Because boobs.

Barbarella :awesome:

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

casa de mi padre posted:

Foreign films and lovely exploitation movies, good times.

Nearly every foreign film in my queue has been due to boobs. It's a lucky accident that many of them turn out to be good movies too.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

casa de mi padre posted:

At least half of my Netflix picks are made because it seems like there will be boobs in the movie. Foreign films and lovely exploitation movies, good times.

Why take chances when you can just go to Bateflix? Yes, there is a website dedicated to rating Netflix movies based on how much and what kind of nudity there is oh god I wish I didn't know about this.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention the link is :nws: in case you hadn't figured it out already.

MrGreenShirt fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 20, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrGreenShirt posted:

Why take chances when you can just go to Bateflix? Yes, there is a website dedicated to rating Netflix movies based on how much and what kind of nudity there is oh god I wish I didn't know about this.

So someone made the Netflix equivalent of the celeb skin websites?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

casa de mi padre posted:

There's opposing science that suggests that carbs cause cancer and all those lovely diseases.

Check out: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353362647&sr=1-1 if you're interested in the other viewpoint. It's always good to hear both sides of the argument.

I really wouldn't say that "don't eat refined carbs" is the opposing viewpoint to "fresh vegetables are better for you than meat."

I would, in fact, wager that the documentary also says refined carbs are terrible for you, and the only thing "controversial" about that book you linked is that it seems to claim refined carbs are responsible for everything and a heavy meat diet has no health drawbacks, which is pretty silly.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

MrGreenShirt posted:

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention the link is :nws: in case you hadn't figured it out already.

Why did I click on that? Why am I reading the reviews for Irreversible?

quote:

loving annoying camerawork. Filthy queers.Grotesque rape. Exquisitely beautiful woman. The best part of the film is in the apartment. She has a great laugh and pretty smile.

quote:

Hottest rape scene ever!

quote:

The infamous Monica Bellucci rape scene. This chicks gets it rough up the butt by a sleaze bag. A must watch XXX

I just...:psyduck:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Irreversible has been in my queue forever but I do not want to watch a realistic rape scene. I can certainly applaud filmmakers for including them and showing the horror of rape but goddamn does it make my skin crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

casa de mi padre posted:

Irreversible has been in my queue forever but I do not want to watch a realistic rape scene. I can certainly applaud filmmakers for including them and showing the horror of rape but goddamn does it make my skin crawl.

I've been meaning to watch it for years but I can just never get in the right mindset to willingly sit down and watch it. I have seen the scene where the guy gets his head bashed in with the fire extinguisher and that made me really uncomfortable. I'm not usually squeamish with movie violence, so I figured I'll be fine never seeing the rape scene.

I still might watch it some day because I really liked Enter the Void. It's just hard to commit to the experience knowing what's going to happen.

• Locked thread