Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Panther has neither the firepower nor the mobility to fight much of anything. It really wants to be an urbie but just couldn't commit to it. Bonus points for basically being a failed copy of CapCon's first mech but worse in pretty much every way.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Which makes the first half of the Luthien scenario even more hilarious.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Panthers are pretty awful. Lights need speed to have a shot at surviving. Give me a Locust or a Wasp instead.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

The Panther has neither the firepower nor the mobility to fight much of anything. It really wants to be an urbie but just couldn't commit to it. Bonus points for basically being a failed copy of CapCon's first mech but worse in pretty much every way.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here; on a bigish map, I'd pit a Pather against a Hunchback and bet on the Panther to win every time if the player had any brains. Or two Panthers against an Atlas; it only has a single LRM20 for weapons past 9 hexes. Or a Panther vs Annihilator.... really, the Panther might be bad against mechs of its class, because they have the speed to evade it. But consider; the Hussar may be 9/14 but one single hit to the legs will take it out of the game. The Panther also has enough armor to sit and take a few LL hit while standing still to minimize its to-hit numbers.

Would I rather have a Panther than a Jenner in a game where I want speed and mobility? Of course not. But when I want some decent firepower and enough armor to survive more than one 10-point damage cluster to a limb, and speed is not as much of a concern, I'd take the Panther.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shoeless posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here; on a bigish map, I'd pit a Pather against a Hunchback and bet on the Panther to win every time if the player had any brains. Or two Panthers against an Atlas; it only has a single LRM20 for weapons past 9 hexes. Or a Panther vs Annihilator.... really, the Panther might be bad against mechs of its class, because they have the speed to evade it. But consider; the Hussar may be 9/14 but one single hit to the legs will take it out of the game. The Panther also has enough armor to sit and take a few LL hit while standing still to minimize its to-hit numbers.

Would I rather have a Panther than a Jenner in a game where I want speed and mobility? Of course not. But when I want some decent firepower and enough armor to survive more than one 10-point damage cluster to a limb, and speed is not as much of a concern, I'd take the Panther.

This, basically. A couple of the more upgraded Panthers can hold their own in Light/Medium battles. Panthers certainly aren't made to take on other light 'mechs, really. If anything, the Thorn is probably a worse DCMS mech, and the Commando is worse in general.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Shoeless posted:

The problem is that there are very few mechs that are both slow and entirely close ranged. Especially so once you start getting into Level 2 tech. And don't even get me started on fighting Clans with Panthers.

Anything a Panther can do a Wolfhound can do twice as well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

The Hunchback gets thrashed by just about anything outside of its choice environment. If it was treated as some House's all-purpose Medium mech like the DC uses the Panther as an all-purpose Light I'd call it a hot mess too. Course, the Hunchback can take a hit. Not that the Panther doesn't try, but it's held down by its weight.

I will say, though, that there are some pretty nice modern Panther designs out there. There's a 6/9/6 one with a Plasma Rifle that makes for a nasty urban combatant that I particularly like. Still, slow lights (and, by the modern era, even slow mediums; look at the Eisenfaust) have a hard time staying viable on a battlefield in any situation except where the table is tilted grossly in your favor. I can think of VERY few situations where I am piloting a light mech but maneuvering on the battlefield is no big deal to me.

fool_of_sound posted:

This, basically. A couple of the more upgraded Panthers can hold their own in Light/Medium battles. Panthers certainly aren't made to take on other light 'mechs, really. If anything, the Thorn is probably a worse DCMS mech, and the Commando is worse in general.

Yeah, like I said: the Panther is trying to be a pocket medium because the Combine is poor. But how does it hold up against a medium? I wouldn't take it to beat anything but the shittiest ones. And since this is the old-school DC we're talking about, we know their plan isn't to overwhelm them with massed fire, because the Combine is into all that samurai duel poo poo still.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 20, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but in that case you were better off not cutting your Warhammer in half :v:

Or just use a Firebee and actually be able to have a move mod. Half a ton less armor and a large laser instead of a ppc, but 5/8/5 and double the srm tubes.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

And don't even get me started on fighting Clans with Panthers.

DROWN THEM WITH OUR PANTHERS!

Also, in TL2 play you also get Panthers with DHS and ERPPCs, so they can start to kite and have a better chance against even more enemies. Again, I'm not saying it's GOOD, or that we should all celebrate Panther Day (thought we really ought to). Just that it's not the WORST.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It makes a good cannon-fodder 'mech when playing a campaign and the players are against Davions. Its got enough punch to be a threat to them, and its relatively easily killable, so the players feel like badasses downing them.

For pre-clans anyways. I'm considering doing a short campaign with a friend, styled loosely after PTN's Death Commandos campaign with the map and repair mechanics. Speaking of which, if you've got any tidbits about your campaign style/system to share, PTN, such as how you determine what qualifies as a repair choice and how many the player's get, feel free. :shobon:

What I can't decide though, is whether to make it a single company border raid or a full PTN-style Battalion invading a planet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

Just that it's not the WORST.

Which is why my statement has the appelation of 'one of,' since the 'worst' is going to be subjective. In general though, the Panther is pretty terrible.

It does have the benefit of not being the Sentinel or JagerMech though. At least the JagerMech has a dedicated role. I'm still not sure what the Sentinel is supposed to be.

Edit: Other than 'extremely explosive.'

Second Edit: The update will be going out tomorrow. In the interim, here's the list of pilots (and their `Mechs), and alternates.

Pilots:
the JJ, SageNytell, Farseli, FractionJackson
Zikan, LLSix, b0lt, Rorac
Andrevian, Zeroisanumber, Shoeless, T.G. Xarbala
Reatheran, sarmhan, Vlad Antlerkov, Belial42
Wafflecopper

Alternates:
Hermetian, seekerwithin, Soylent Pudding, legoman727, Adam500, The Casualty

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 20, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

At least the JagerMech has a dedicated role. I'm still not sure what the Sentinel is supposed to be.

Edit: Other than 'extremely explosive.'
I believe the words you are looking for are "Deployed in Regiments". When it's 108 AC5 firing at you then it suddenly becomes a lot less terrible a gun.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I have had one positive experience with a Sentinel when I had one charge a pristine Mad Dog off a cliff into a deep lake. The most useful Sentinel ever.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

I believe the words you are looking for are "Deployed in Regiments". When it's 108 AC5 firing at you then it suddenly becomes a lot less terrible a gun.

The original Sentinel mounts an AC/2

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Okay, question time.

I'm in the Dervish now.

Is the 20 ammo counter per turn or per missile? 'Cause 20 is not a lot of LRM's.

Also, that ammo counter is a single bin, right? So if I fire both my LRM10's the counter drops by two (or twenty).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

the JJ posted:

Is the 20 ammo counter per turn or per missile? Also, that ammo counter is a single bin, right?

Per turn. It's not in a single bin, but it is divided between the launchers (so yes, if you're firing both you have 10 turns of LRMs)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Per turn. It's not in a single bin, but it is divided between the launchers (so yes, if you're firing both you have 10 turns of LRMs)

I just meant that the counter displayed the overall, instead of being 20 per LRM.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man, Hastur is looking more and more frightening by the moment. 3/4 Pilot in a 'mech with quad Large Pulses and the ability to either focus fire on a single location with all his guns with Impending Doom or go crit-seeking with Humiliate.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The Archer has never really stood out much for me. A 4/6/0 70 ton missile boat. Going to need a little fancy footwork to make this mech work in an offensive mission with a bunch of opposition.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

Going to need a little fancy footwork to make this mech work in an offensive mission with a bunch of opposition.

It has fists, and they have Valkyries. Just saying.

Also, fun fact: The Firestarter has better rear armor than the Hunchbacks do.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Honestly, play the long game, take them out before they can close, crush the heavy gunners crush the fast, crush crush crush, make them come to you and rip them apart as they try.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Banshee, huh.

This is how many enemy mechs I plan to kick this game.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

My bold prediction is that a humble Valkyrie will somehow end up as OpFor MVP. LRM bullshit crit here we come.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

KnoxZone posted:

LRM bullshit crits

Missed an 's'.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
It's interesting how the Wolf Spider's Alt. Config. A is nearly identical to the Swordbreaker's Alt. Config. B (except sporting a Flamer). Also, shouldn't 3 of the ERMLs be mounted in the Right Arm rather than the Head?

Edit: The Cyclops IIC may prove a liability here. The CT armor is literally paper thin, and the new LT doesn't have much to it past the armor.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 20, 2012

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

landcollector posted:

It's interesting how the Wolf Spider's Alt. Config. A is nearly identical to the Swordbreaker's Alt. Config. B (except sporting a Flamer). Also, shouldn't 3 of the ERMLs be mounted in the Right Arm rather than the Head?

Edit: The Cyclops IIC may prove a liability here. The CT armor is literally paper thin, and the new LT doesn't have much to it past the armor.

Oh, I think it's pretty sure to die quickly. Then again now that we've said that, it'll see exactly 2 points of damage to the CT all battle long.

That said, burn through your ammo as fast as you can, so that when you do inevitably get cored/lose the UAC 20 you've already done a ton of damage. Or, at least, aren't that much of a loss.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

landcollector posted:

Its armor is fine, the IS is what is busted. so actually it isn't likely to get ammo explosions again.

Still grind the uac/20 to max, increase your killing speed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Everything's got full armor, but the internals are all accurate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How have you been deciding how much internal structure can be repaired between missions?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I'm in command of the Atlas!? :hawaaaafap:

Christmas came early. Let's :black101: some Davion rear end!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Oh holy poo poo I'm on the alternate list.

What's the synirc channel for the LP? I should probably wander in there and get a quick crash course to make sure I actually know what I'm doing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

We usually just use #megamek

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

Everything's got full armor, but the internals are all accurate.

Should those ER MLases on the Wolf Spider be on the other arm, not the head?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Should those ER MLases on the Wolf Spider be on the other arm, not the head?

I think he was referring to the scores, not the locations. My Dervish, for instance, is storing all its weaponry in quantum space. Never fear, the possibility waveform will collapse soon enough.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well at least all the Clan mechs are loaded for bear, what with all those Pulse and Heavy Lasers. They should be able to take out an adequate number of enemy mechs and make it to the Dropships. Now to see if they can out-kill the Death Commandos...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

The original Sentinel mounts an AC/2
The STN-1S had a regular AC5. The Star League variant had the UAC, which MWO has made me almost respect.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Arquinsiel posted:

The STN-1S had a regular AC5. The Star League variant had the UAC, which MWO has made me almost respect.

Hey, don't dismiss the UAC-5. You can really get a 'Mech rocking if you get your timing right.

:v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:ohdear:

How does that work when you use RACs instead?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

:ohdear:

How does that work when you use RACs instead?

MW4 RACs jam hella fast, while UACs hardly jam at all. RACs also do far less than expected damage, such as the RAC20 doing 8 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

dis astranagant posted:

MW4 RACs jam hella fast, while UACs hardly jam at all. RACs also do far less than expected damage, such as the RAC20 doing 8 damage.

But on the plus side, it sounds like you're letting rip with a buzzsaw.

How does BT handle RAC's, anyway? I've only got rudimentary knowledge, from this thread plus some time spent in Neveron... which was the only thing I got out of that.

• Locked thread