Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Well I get the adding of ads for the Play Store version but what exactly has gone this route before? Not doubting you but I'm drawing a blank.

There was a Live Wallpaper, the original original CM Updater, Apollo and I swear there was a 4th but I can't recall at the moment.

Edit: Oh hey

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordpress.chislonchow.deviceadminkeyguard

Kills 4.2's extra lockscreen widgets (and retarded glowing rectangle). Enjoy.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Henry Krinkle posted:

This is an old post but I'm only just going through the thread and haven't seen an answer to this:

Here is a link that explains just how to do what you want to do with Llama or Tasker:
http://android.appstorm.net/roundups/customization-roundups/40-android-wallpapers-to-automate-with-llama-tasker/

I can't believe Llama isn't getting more love in this thread. I haven't tried Tasker but it seems that Llama does most of the same for free, and I'm loving it ever since the first minute I installed it.

edit: home screen is not the same as wallpaper apparently, but I hope this post still contributes to the thread.

Thanks for trying anyway. Since posting that request, I discovered that Chameleon Launcher does exactly what I was asking for... but unfortunately, it's for tablets only. There's also a feature request for Apex Launcher which has a lot of votes, which describes pretty much exactly what I was asking for, complete with Tasker support.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Is there any app or set of apps that would allow me to, at a specified time, turn on my Bluetooth, connect to a device, max out the volume, and then play a music file?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If there were some way to activate Now/Voice Actions from a bluetooth headset, it would be amazing. I have a bluetooth setup on my motorcycle helmet and it would be awfully nice to be able to text while I'm stopped at a light.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

brc64 posted:

Is it just me, or does the Facebook app no longer allow you to like a post from within the post. There used to be a big Like icon on the top right, but it's gone now. So if I get a notification about a post (close friends), go directly to the post from the notification, I can't Like it. Have to go back out to the News Feed and like it from there.

Rolled the fix in today's first daily, looks good to me. Confirm?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

There was a Live Wallpaper, the original original CM Updater, Apollo and I swear there was a 4th but I can't recall at the moment.

Edit: Oh hey

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wordpress.chislonchow.deviceadminkeyguard

Kills 4.2's extra lockscreen widgets (and retarded glowing rectangle). Enjoy.

Is there an app that gets rid of just the annoying flash without getting rid of the widgets?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Taffer posted:

Is there an app that gets rid of just the annoying flash without getting rid of the widgets?

Not that I know of. One is tied to the other so I wouldn't be surprised if that took some framework fuckery (root).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Radbot posted:

If there were some way to activate Now/Voice Actions from a bluetooth headset, it would be amazing. I have a bluetooth setup on my motorcycle helmet and it would be awfully nice to be able to text while I'm stopped at a light.

No, there isn't. I've been complaining about this for months in this thread.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
poo poo, I thought I was in the phone thread, sorry.

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 20, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So not only is Tweet lanes development done but so is Boid's (for the most part)

http://www.androidcentral.com/team-boid-will-cease-future-development-its-twitter-client

Oh and Falcon (that Twitter app that was mostly a widget) has become its own app now. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2002259

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Skeezy posted:

So not only is Tweet lanes development done but so is Boid's (for the most part)

http://www.androidcentral.com/team-boid-will-cease-future-development-its-twitter-client

Oh and Falcon (that Twitter app that was mostly a widget) has become its own app now. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2002259

That logo looks awfully familiar...

:coal:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a good TV guide app on Android? The actual TV Guide app seems full of a lot of ads (and I'm not sure if it works on Jelly Bean anyway) and crap and the TV Listings app is too basic.

I used to use Whats on TV? on iOS but I have yet to find anything like that on Android.

If it helps, I'm in the US.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know of a good TV guide app on Android? The actual TV Guide app seems full of a lot of ads (and I'm not sure if it works on Jelly Bean anyway) and crap and the TV Listings app is too basic.

I used to use Whats on TV? on iOS but I have yet to find anything like that on Android.

If it helps, I'm in the US.

There are no great options, but i.TV works in a pinch.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My kids (too young for phones) are getting 4g ipod touchs for xmas it goes against everything holy in my geeky sensibilities, but its what their friends all have for imessage.

I don't guess there's a way we the Android-user wolfshirt parents can talk to them on imessage but what's gonna be the best thing wife and I can have on Android to do voice or video chat or IM with them? google talk or skype do video on both platforms?

edit: and not really the best place to ask but if one of you all knows of any ios for newbs type faq that would be great. I'm interested in how using prepaid cards works and hopefully not using itunes on any pc. Connecting to smb or sftp. But in general I don't know the os that well, going to try and start setting some stuff up on these before they get them.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 20, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There are no great options, but i.TV works in a pinch.

This actually isn't too bad. Thanks!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Interociter posted:

Rolled the fix in today's first daily, looks good to me. Confirm?

The thumb has returned, thanks! I'm just going to assume that I was the first person to report this and feel all special.

Still need to get around to getting you logs on a failed photo upload. I had it happen again Saturday night, but I was juggling too many other things at the time. A glance at logcat showed some messages about losing a secure connection, I think. That's another error I frequently see in the app itself when I'm out and about.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Wagonburner posted:

My kids (too young for phones) are getting 4g ipod touchs for xmas it goes against everything holy in my geeky sensibilities, but its what their friends all have for imessage.

I don't guess there's a way we the Android-user wolfshirt parents can talk to them on imessage but what's gonna be the best thing wife and I can have on Android to do voice or video chat or IM with them? google talk or skype do video on both platforms?

edit: and not really the best place to ask but if one of you all knows of any ios for newbs type faq that would be great. I'm interested in how using prepaid cards works and hopefully not using itunes on any pc. Connecting to smb or sftp. But in general I don't know the os that well, going to try and start setting some stuff up on these before they get them.

Google+ hangouts/messenger is probably the best way to do this for multi-platform support. Can do multiple users at once as well.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I've kind of been assuming that there's not much point in paying attention to Facebook app bugs if the app is being rebuilt from the ground up as a native one to be released soonish. If I've got the wrong idea about that then please let me know and I'll go back to reporting them when I find them.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Glimm posted:

Google+ hangouts/messenger is probably the best way to do this for multi-platform support. Can do multiple users at once as well.

Thanks. I guess I never realized G+ was any kind of anything but a facebook-alike but now I'm remembering people doing video chats in commercials.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is there any app or set of apps that would allow me to, at a specified time, turn on my Bluetooth, connect to a device, max out the volume, and then play a music file?

I'm pretty sure Llama will let you do all this

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Radbot posted:

Its mapped to a long press of the Answer/Dial/Play button (at least with wired headsets).

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 20, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vagrancy posted:

Its mapped to a long press of the Answer/Dial/Play button (at least with wired headsets).

Doesn't work with BT devices. At least not with the three I've tried it with. That just brings up the anemic voice dialer app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wagonburner posted:

Thanks. I guess I never realized G+ was any kind of anything but a facebook-alike but now I'm remembering people doing video chats in commercials.

Even as a Facebook employee, I'll tell you that G+ Hangouts are a pretty great feature.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Doesn't work with BT devices. At least not with the three I've tried it with. That just brings up the anemic voice dialer app.

There's nothing to remap or customize how Android handles that button? I mean, if you're rooted you can go right in and remap some capacitive/volume buttons to do different things.

At the very least I don't see why they wouldn't completely replace Voice Dialer on an OS level with Google Now since it is strictly better; it can do Voice Dialing, Voice Texting, and a bunch of other things sight-unseen.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

So I installed Llama based on someone's suggestion in this thread, and now I've got it set up to open certain apps (AirDroid, BubbleUPNP) when I'm at home. What are some other neato things I can do that might not be immediately obvious? Does toggling off the WiFi when not using it actually save a lot of battery?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Geektox posted:

So I installed Llama based on someone's suggestion in this thread, and now I've got it set up to open certain apps (AirDroid, BubbleUPNP) when I'm at home. What are some other neato things I can do that might not be immediately obvious? Does toggling off the WiFi when not using it actually save a lot of battery?

I have Llama disabled right now because I work within the same area as my house so it could not tell a difference :(

Is there a way to have it change ringtone and other settings when I connect to my home wifi? I couldn't find it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've never understood this huge push to make an alternative to Plume since it's awesome and works well and has legacy API support, but Falcon's tablet interface does look better with it's integrated browser.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Switching off WiFi when not using it at home isn't terribly useful unless you have to leave the phone off its charger for a prolonged period - or you make all of the calls. It'll either resort to the cell network (which takes more power and probably has a cap) or just not use internet access (which kinda defeats the purpose of today's smartphone).

While somewhere where you don't have WiFi credentials, it can be useful just to keep it from scanning all the time. But it's still not a battery-killer. ... Unless you're doing data transfers and calls all the time.

It depends on how old your phone is and whether it was designed to actually last all day when you use it for most of the day, but batteries and battery usage on today's phones generally suck a lot less than they did even this time last year.

Zero VGS posted:

There's nothing to remap or customize how Android handles that button? I mean, if you're rooted you can go right in and remap some capacitive/volume buttons to do different things.

At the very least I don't see why they wouldn't completely replace Voice Dialer on an OS level with Google Now since it is strictly better; it can do Voice Dialing, Voice Texting, and a bunch of other things sight-unseen.

You may need a custom ROM to remap that button. Apparently not even CyanogenMod comes with a way to modify headset buttons. There are a few apps that claim to, but not even the paid ones are a sure shot with Bluetooth.

As for why: Voice Dialer is independent of Google. Google Now, for obvious reasons, is not. Some people (beyond Nook and Kindle users (poor bastards)) use Android devices without a Google account.

Seems like the most pointless thing in the entire universe, but it happens.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I have Llama disabled right now because I work within the same area as my house so it could not tell a difference :(

Is there a way to have it change ringtone and other settings when I connect to my home wifi? I couldn't find it.

Yes. You have to set up a Profile (third tab) with the ringtone/volume you want, then create a new event with WiFi connected as the trigger (it'll let you choose a specific network) and Profile as the action.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a reason Llama won't work with my GSIII?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Geektox posted:

Yes. You have to set up a Profile (third tab) with the ringtone/volume you want, then create a new event with WiFi connected as the trigger (it'll let you choose a specific network) and Profile as the action.

Thank you. Will reactivate and try it out :)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Switching off WiFi when not using it at home isn't terribly useful unless you have to leave the phone off its charger for a prolonged period - or you make all of the calls. It'll either resort to the cell network (which takes more power and probably has a cap) or just not use internet access (which kinda defeats the purpose of today's smartphone).

While somewhere where you don't have WiFi credentials, it can be useful just to keep it from scanning all the time. But it's still not a battery-killer. ... Unless you're doing data transfers and calls all the time.

It depends on how old your phone is and whether it was designed to actually last all day when you use it for most of the day, but batteries and battery usage on today's phones generally suck a lot less than they did even this time last year.

Yeah, I have an S3 and I've yet to see it dip below 30% before I get home so I think it probably won't be worth the effort.

MikeJF posted:

Is there a reason Llama won't work with my GSIII?

It works on mine (i747), although it can't toggle 4G.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My mistake, it was greyed out and I didn't realise it was already installed rather than unable to. Ignore me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I just read that there's a VLC player app that can remotely control the application on my desktop? Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't play around with it. How does that work?

quote:

Its internal video player allows streaming content Computer to Android (Video, music and photos)

So I could have a movie playing on my computer, then stream it to my phone if I need to go take a dump or something?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I was showing a coworker SwiftKey and decided to see what it would give me if I just let it predict a sentence and got "I am very anti Romney." IT loving KNOWS, MAN. :stare:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
If there any app that will build a map of my cell service quality as I drive around town? I want to see how accurate T-Mobile's coverage map is, because it promised good service at my house and I'm alternating between no service and 2 bars, so I'd like to get measurements from around town more scientifically than trying to check my email every time I hit a stop light.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bedurndurn posted:

If there any app that will build a map of my cell service quality as I drive around town? I want to see how accurate T-Mobile's coverage map is, because it promised good service at my house and I'm alternating between no service and 2 bars, so I'd like to get measurements from around town more scientifically than trying to check my email every time I hit a stop light.
OpenSignalMaps is the closest thing I can think of. Absolutely murders battery, though.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

OpenSignalMaps is the closest thing I can think of. Absolutely murders battery, though.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal

Well that's a pity then, because I just downloaded that and it crashed every time I launched it. My phone's too new and I'm far too dumb to have hosed with anything that would make that my fault.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
There was some discussion a few pages back about Photo Spheres and how "bad" the seaming was on them. If you're having trouble producing good looking Photo Spheres, I recommend setting your phone on a makeshift tripod. Here's mine:

https://plus.google.com/111364041641324386454/posts/1nh48zfgjKC

Yes, the dog's legs are missing. Dogs don't hold still for poo poo. Bear in mind also that these were taken with an HTC Rezound - technically not a supported phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

XIII posted:

I was showing a coworker SwiftKey and decided to see what it would give me if I just let it predict a sentence and got "I am very anti Romney." IT loving KNOWS, MAN. :stare:

That's awesome. Everyone else seems to just be a beautiful person according to SwiftKey's opening sentence. I love mine because it throws in random hockey terms and curse words, like beautiful poetry.

Anyone know of an update on SwiftKey Flow? I signed up for the beta when the announcement came out but I haven't seen or heard anything since then.

• Locked thread