Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Aberlien posted:

Truman Capote's In Cold Blood and I can't put it down, even for my own good (true crime novels and I after midnight have a bad history, just ask Robert Graysmith).

I fell in love with the 1966 movie a few years ago, and after finishing Helter Skelter on Thursday, was on the lookout for some more true crime novels and found a first edition of In True Blood at the used bookstore last night; immaculate condition, only 12 bucks. Even with my terrible reading habits I've blazed through 150 pages so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I just bought the most recent Vince Flynn The Last Man and Dean Koontz's Odd Apocalypse. Not sure if I should re-read the whole Odd Thomas series again before hitting the new one, since it's been a rather long time since I'd read any of them.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Just got Pratchett's Mort on my Kindle after having read the first three Discworld novels. The first two was great. Equal Rites started out good, but I felt it got a bit unfocused towards the end. This one (Mort) is great so far, though!

Tyger41
Oct 8, 2012
Started reading two books at the same time and just flippy floppy back and forth between them. One Two Three Infinty - George Gamow and Manhattan Project The Untold Story of the Making of the Atomic Bomb - Stephane Groueff

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
I just started Rowling's The Casual Vacancy and I have Londoners by Craig Taylor on the shelf for when I finish.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Granbar posted:

Just got Pratchett's Mort on my Kindle after having read the first three Discworld novels. The first two was great. Equal Rites started out good, but I felt it got a bit unfocused towards the end. This one (Mort) is great so far, though!

Coincidentally, I just got Sourcery, after reading the first four Discworld novels a while back. Mort definitely felt more cohesive than Equal Rites, to me at least.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just finished rereading Frank Herbert's God Emperor of Dune, and also read Daniel Keyes Flowers for Algernon. Flowers for Algernon really left me in one hell of a state after the final page.

Started reading based on movies coming out:
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Picked up for a classics kick:
Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky
A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Am a bit into Les Misérables, which I'm enjoying, coming off finishing Don Quixote, and getting ready to watching the 10th anniversary musical then the movie that is coming out. The french in Les Misérables is hard to swallow, and 90% of the references to current day 1893-1820 Paris, even after reading The Count of Monte Cristo over and over, goes over my head.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
After reading a few interesting articles and blog posts about the subject online I just ordered The Nine Nations of North America by Joel Garreau on Amazon, along with the similarly themed American Nations: A History or Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard, and Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in North America.

While I wait for them to ship I'm rereading Dracula.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating it. About to begin The Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints by Alban Butler. The full 12 volume version is almost impossible to find in ebook form unless you get poor quality public domain scans. I encountered some very interesting stories about some of the early saints from other history books and decided this work would be worth reading.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Starting The Best American Short Stories 2012. Although I don't understand why it's the 2012 when all of the stories came out in 2011.

Swim Good
Nov 9, 2012
Just started Independence Day by Richard Ford. His prose is always good but there is something awkward in how he describes minority characters.

Rison
Apr 17, 2001
Just another retarded strawberry pancake

screenwritersblues posted:

Starting The Best American Short Stories 2012. Although I don't understand why it's the 2012 when all of the stories came out in 2011.

That's simply because they wait until the year is over and then begin to sort through stuff that they think was notable. Then the year's guest editor gets a list of a couple hundred things and works through that, selecting those that end up in the year's volume. So they end up lagging behind, but I guess if they published a book with "2011" in its title in the fall of 2012 nobody would buy it because they'd think it was 'old' -- and therefore obviously not worth taking note of, since we all know that everything that is older than a week is irrelevant to our lives. Whoops, that turned into a rant...

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Just picked up two books: Mainlines, Blood Feasts and Bad Taste, an anthology of Lester Bangs' music writing and a giant, unabridged copy of Boswell's Life of Johnson. I figure if nothing else, Boswell will keep me company if I get snowed in or something this winter. Looking forward to both, though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Just started the Dresden Files, from the beginning. I may or may not move all the way through the series steadily. Depends on whether I get tired of the writing.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

rufius posted:

Just started the Dresden Files, from the beginning. I may or may not move all the way through the series steadily. Depends on whether I get tired of the writing.

Let me be the first to drop in from the Dresden thread to remind you not to give up until you've read book 3. The first 2 books are very weak in several ways that do improve starting in the third. If you hate it after book 3 then it probably won't get any better for you.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

Let me be the first to drop in from the Dresden thread to remind you not to give up until you've read book 3. The first 2 books are very weak in several ways that do improve starting in the third. If you hate it after book 3 then it probably won't get any better for you.

It occurs to me that my post made it sound like it was a trial. While I find the writing of the first book a bit weak, I'm still enjoying it. It's good to hear it'll get better.

I felt like Sanderson's first Mistborn novel (The Final Empire) had a *lot* of rough edges and that as you read the second and third novels, you could see his skills develop. I really enjoy reading authors' works and seeing their skill progress. Sounds like this is what happens to Butcher's writing as well.

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
Just started a short little historical book called The Year 1000: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the First Millenium. The title pretty much explains what the book is about, but the interesting thing is that it's divided in 12 chapters, one for each month of the year. I love me some history, and this light read is just what I need after finishing one of the most brutal (and awesome) books I've ever read, Blood Meridian.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I picked up a copy of Moonheart by Charles de Lint, on the basis of a) it's not part of a series, b) it doesn't have gratuitous silly names, and c) the cover looks evocative. Other than that I have 0 de Lint experience, does anyone recommend him?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Tardigrade posted:

I picked up a copy of Moonheart by Charles de Lint, on the basis of a) it's not part of a series, b) it doesn't have gratuitous silly names, and c) the cover looks evocative. Other than that I have 0 de Lint experience, does anyone recommend him?

I love Charles De Lint. Urban fantasy without the squick. Nice bit of romance without being too sappy. Moonheart is a personal favorite.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Trying for the 300th time to get into The Master and the Margarita and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I really want to read them but I always find myself putting them down.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Been on a short story kick. Finished We Can Remember it For You Wholesale, just started Kelly Link's Magic For Beginners, downloaded a bunch of old science fiction stories from ManyBooks and got a few free Philip K Dick stories from Amazon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Signal and the Noise, thanks to D&D's Nate Silver thread I entered on a whim ( :canada: )

Cold Days: The Dresden Files book 14.

Both in audiobook format.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Just started In One Person, by John Irving. I love me some John Irving.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

rufius posted:

I felt like Sanderson's first Mistborn novel (The Final Empire) had a *lot* of rough edges and that as you read the second and third novels, you could see his skills develop. I really enjoy reading authors' works and seeing their skill progress. Sounds like this is what happens to Butcher's writing as well.

This is nice to hear because I'm about halfway through the first Mistborn book and really enjoying it. Looking forward to even better ones.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

This is nice to hear because I'm about halfway through the first Mistborn book and really enjoying it. Looking forward to even better ones.

Be sure to read the "Alloy of Law", a one off that he wrote based in the same world during a later time period. It is probably the best written of the four books, but I didn't care for the story as much. Another friend loves this story.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Just started James Clavell's Shogun and am really hooked. Never read his stuff before but I did Patrick O'Brian (Master and Commander) which I'm led to understand have a similar... feel.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
James Clavell's Shogun is one of my favorite books!
Because of you I will check the works of Patrick O'Brian.

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010
Just started The Little Sister by Raymond Chandler.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Just bought Selected Poems and Selected Non-Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges. I already have and love his Complete Fictions and I figured I needed to complete the set. It would be nice if the poetry and non-fiction collections were also complete but from what I understand that would make them thousands of pages long and the Selected volumes are the largest collections of Borges in translation anyway so I'm not going to complain.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just started John Scalzi's Redshirts audiobook, and so help me God, after going through just the second chapter, I want to stab him in the eyes.

Bear with me.

It's narrated by Wil Wheaton, star of stage, screen, (internet :ssh: ) and voice. I grew up during the TNG era, and his parts annoyed the poo poo out of me, because I firmly believe that child-actors and sci-fi shows should never, ever, mix. That said, the narrative is pretty good. And Wil's narration is done well. Well enough, in fact, that I was getting used to his distinctive accent and suspending my disbelief, when suddenly, I hear:
"*" Duval said.
"*" Dahl said.
"*" Duval said.
"*" Dahl said.
"*" Duval said.
"*" Dahl said.
- in very quick succession. And Scalzi keeps writing this way, every chapter, with every character, during every loving discussion.
What the gently caress? Didn't his english teacher ever tell him not to do this? To mix it up a little, with "exclaimed", and "remarked"? "Replied", and "called back", et cetera? You know, right before he showed him what a loving thesaurus is? How could he (or his editor/publisher) loving look at that and go, "Yup, looks like a solid best-seller to me!", and send it to the printers with nary a second glance? I'm pretty sure I was taught this before I even entered high school.

:sigh:

It's really not that bad of a book. It takes the cliches typical of the Kirk era, mixes in the meta, fourth-wall aspect of Galaxy Quest, and adds a liberal dose of both humour and profanity. Wil Wheaton is a pretty good voice actor once you get past the whole "Wesley Crusher: Boy Genius" albatross that's been hanging from his neck for over a decade. But while the exposition is written with geat suspense, humour, and timing, the writing of the dialogue, while funny, is just so... amateur.
I'm gonna finish it, because the plot has it's hooks in me, but ugh, it won't be nearly as fun as it could be.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 15, 2012

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Actually, just using "said" for every spoken line is the preferred method. It's something that comes up relatively often in the fiction writing threads here on SA, because novice writers will do exactly what you're suggesting: Try to spice up the prose with words like "replied" and "exclaimed" and "asked" and so on.

It's frowned upon because it's usually redundant. Like in your example, we already know from the context that Dahl is "replying" to Duval. And if somebody is "exclaiming" that should be clear from the context and the punctuation. Obviously sometimes a word like "mumbled" or "yelled" is called for, but the ratio of "said" to every other word like it should be more like 50:1 than 5:1.

I'd guess the reason that it stands out to you is that you're listening to the book instead of reading. In the text "x said" is mostly just there so you can keep track of who is saying what. Naked lines of dialogue would be easier to look at, but it would be easy to get lost, especially if there's more than two characters talking at once. So you need the "x said"s to keep things straight, even if it is repetitive. Your eyes sort of pass it over, though.

If a reader is doing even slightly different voices for different characters, the "x said" bits will stand out as themselves redundant (and repetitive), and grate. To be honest I think I remember hearing an audiobook version of one of the Harry Potter books, and thinking that "he said" and "she said" seemed to come up way too often. It's just something that needs to be there for a reader but isn't as important for a listener.

Definitely stick with Redshirts though, it's pretty great.

To contribute, I'm only partway though Noam Chomsky's Failed States, which details the way the USA has many of the characteristics of the countries our leaders demonize: Acting against world opinion, terrorist activity in other nations, failing to apply the standards we hold others to to ourselves. I'm aware of a lot of the stuff he brings up, but litany of examples is just so relentless and depressing (but very eye opening). I can only read a chapter or two at a time. Still worth it though, and Chomsky's brand of sarcasm makes it bearable.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

"*" Duval said.
"*" Dahl said.
"*" Duval said.
"*" Dahl said.
"*" Duval said.
"*" Dahl said.

Goddamn, that annoyed the hell out of me too when I was reading Redshirts. I had been looking forward to reading Scalzi stuff before Redshirts, but if he writes like that in all of his books, no thanks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Prolonged Priapism posted:

but the ratio of "said" to every other word like it should be more like 50:1 than 5:1.

I'm calling bullshit on this, because if it's true, Scalzi is literally the first authour I've heard or read, who comes anywhere near that ratio.

That being said typed, I do plan on finishing the book.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

I just started The Best of H.P. Lovecraft. I'm only 1 story in, but Rats in the Walls was phenomenal.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Every Dead Thing

Wanted to get into a good series of crime thrillers and this came highly recommended.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this, because if it's true, Scalzi is literally the first authour I've heard or read, who comes anywhere near that ratio.

That being said typed, I do plan on finishing the book.

I don't know about exact ratios, but "said" is preferred for statements and "asked" is preferred for questions. They're meant to be unobtrusive tags. Trying to enliven a story by breaking this convention is considered amateurish because it's substituting telling for showing. If a character is annoyed, that should be apparent in context. You shouldn't have to write "he groaned."

That said, I'm not familiar with the book. If the author really is writing long passages consisting only of lines of dialogue, each with a "said" attached, then that's bad too. In long exchanges between two characters the tag can be omitted once the pattern is established. With conversations involving multiple characters, you should be weaving in action. One technique for ditching a speech tag is to attach it to a character's action in the same paragraph. Ex:

Blipblap sniffed at it. "I don't think this smells right."

There the speaker is implied, and a speech tag is unnecessary.

That all being said, it's not a rule, it's a guideline. That's the way it is with most writing rules you'll hear. There are circumstances when you may want to modify or change the normal speech tag, such as when the speaker's tone or mood contradicts what's expected.

jasoneatspizza fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 15, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Floofykins posted:

That said, I'm not familiar with the book. If the author really is writing long passages consisting only of lines of dialogue, each with a "said" attached, then that's bad too.

Scalzi does this. No joke, I'm talking 6-12 lines of conversation with just "said", or "asked".
Almost no variation, implication, or description. I've listened to dozens of authors, and he's the first I've ever heard who does this.
Believe me, it's instantly noticeable.
Card, Butcher, Abercrombie, Tolkien, Jordan, Pratchett, etc... none of these authors pulls that poo poo.

Welp, Scalzi just namedropped Star Trek and shattered the fourth wall.
He could write 90% of the rest of the book with "derp", and it won't matter, because I ain't stopping. :dance:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 16, 2012

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Nosy_G posted:

I just started The Best of H.P. Lovecraft. I'm only 1 story in, but Rats in the Walls was phenomenal.

That's one of his best stories. Don't be surprised when the quality dips quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

WastedJoker posted:

Every Dead Thing

Wanted to get into a good series of crime thrillers and this came highly recommended.

Very slow 12hr shift at work allowed me to finish this pretty hefty book in one sitting.

Loved it. Bird Parker is an interesting lead and the way Connelly rights has a lovely cadence.

• Locked thread