Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We should get a GPS time clock. I run Dimension4 on my XP laptop, and it kept popping up the other day with a message about wanting to go more than 4000 days into the past.

I just ignored that and the message was gone this morning.

Our time server must not have picked it up.

Anyway, I was typing a Cisco question and it got lost this morning.

I'm rolling out some ISR G2s to replace EoL CMMs to terminate our digital PRIs for our UC deployment. I have PVDM3s in these units which will flex DSP for my calls.

Presently we do all of our media res in software on the UCM nodes. I notice while configuring these things you can say xcode or conference but you have to lock the dsp credits to those functions. Is there any guide to planning these things, or metering our usage on software? Why put them in hardware if we don't have to? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

ragzilla posted:

GPS time server on site crew represent.

What make and model?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Tremblay posted:

What make and model?

Symmetricom SSU2000 with 2E/3E holdover. Also supplies our BITS for SONET/PSTN.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ragzilla posted:

I want to buy one of those things, but until yesterday had no justification for doing so. Now I do.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
If you live in the US and don't want to mess around with mounting an GPS antenna, they also make CDMA-based NTP servers as well.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
We are actively looking at the Cesium based Time Sources from Symmetricom, even prior to this little USNO fun. We would drop in cheaper GPS units, but getting antenna's mounted and cabling routed in some of our more secure buildings is too much of a hassle.

http://www.symmetricom.com/products/frequency-references/cesium-frequency-standard/

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

ragzilla posted:

I was going to say that but didn't want to get too :smugdog:. Fortunately we spring for 2+ GPS receivers per datacenter so the USNO can time travel all they want.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Well the 2950T came today, beautifully packaged in a mile of bubble wrap.

Seems to work ok so far, but I am a bit unimpressed that it still had a complete configuration on it, including passwords.

I never realized how loud these things are! I mean I will be able to hear it when it is in a closet in the kitchen. Does it just have the single 40mm fan I can see at the back? Hopefully it can be replaced easily?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
If you poll time from three different stratum one servers it doesn't matter if one goes bonkers. The screwy time will be disregarded if it gets too far away from the consensus time of the other two. At least that's how I vaguely remember it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

inignot posted:

If you poll time from three different stratum one servers it doesn't matter if one goes bonkers. The screwy time will be disregarded if it gets too far away from the consensus time of the other two. At least that's how I vaguely remember it.

A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!
Just an observation, but Jesus Christ, Cisco wasn't kidding about how long it takes to do a field upgrade on their wireless controllers. The documentation said allow 30 minutes and I figured it was an exaggeration. Nope, that sucker was off the network for a solid half hour.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

inignot posted:

General consensus is for 4 minimum, most people tending toward 5-8. 5 is the minimum to protect yourself from a tick/tock like incident where 2 servers are falsetickers.

Leo Bicknell posted:

To protect against two falseticking servers (tick and tock, as we saw on
the 19th) you need _FIVE_ servers minimum configured if they are both in
the list. More importantly, if you want to protect against a source
(GPS, CDMA, IRIG, WWIV, ACTS, etc) false ticking, you need a minimum of
_FOUR_ different source technologies in the list as well.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
How do people at larger organizations keep track of SMARTnet contracts? Is there some easy reporting on Cisco's site where you can dump out what assets you have under SMARTnet, and when they're coming off contract?

SMARTnet is probably my least favorite thing about dealing with Cisco gear, so I hope I'm missing the really easy way of keeping track of it.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Mierdaan posted:

How do people at larger organizations keep track of SMARTnet contracts? Is there some easy reporting on Cisco's site where you can dump out what assets you have under SMARTnet, and when they're coming off contract?

SMARTnet is probably my least favorite thing about dealing with Cisco gear, so I hope I'm missing the really easy way of keeping track of it.

Talk to your rep and have them get you in touch with a smartnet rep, they can search contracts by name or install location.

aquaticrabbit
Aug 2, 2004

ragzilla posted:

Talk to your rep and have them get you in touch with a smartnet rep, they can search contracts by name or install location.
I work for a Cisco partner and the tool we use is at https://www.cisco.com/go/cscc. If you have a CCO login, you may be able to log in to see your contracts. If not, contact your rep and they can run a report or maybe grant access for your CCO.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

ragzilla posted:

This is what I do right now, but it's a pain when new devices are ordered and you don't know the start/end dates for SMARTnet, only that you bought it. Doesn't seem like I should have to harass a rep a few times a year to check on this stuff.

aquaticrabbit posted:

I work for a Cisco partner and the tool we use is at https://www.cisco.com/go/cscc. If you have a CCO login, you may be able to log in to see your contracts. If not, contact your rep and they can run a report or maybe grant access for your CCO.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Mierdaan posted:

This is what I do right now, but it's a pain when new devices are ordered and you don't know the start/end dates for SMARTnet, only that you bought it. Doesn't seem like I should have to harass a rep a few times a year to check on this stuff.

They don't give you a spreadsheet with that info on it that you can refer back to?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

doomisland posted:

They don't give you a spreadsheet with that info on it that you can refer back to?

They do, but what happens when you order an asset, with SMARTnet, on June 1st and it arrives June 15th? When does SMARTnet start/end? How do you tell without requesting another damned spreadsheet? :effort:

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Mierdaan posted:

They do, but what happens when you order an asset, with SMARTnet, on June 1st and it arrives June 15th? When does SMARTnet start/end? How do you tell without requesting another damned spreadsheet? :effort:
You should have your VAR co-term the SMARTnet on new purchases to coincide with your annual renewal that way they all fall on the same date. As far as keeping track of the contracts, I know what exactly what critical devices that need to be covered and I log into each device to double check the serial. For assets that aren't being used anymore, I have the VAR take it off the renewal. Yes, this is a pain in the rear end but it only happens once a year and takes me only a few hours. For the amount of equipment that we have (less than 50 devices under contract), it seems like a waste of time to research/design/implement a better system.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Bluecobra posted:

You should have your VAR co-term the SMARTnet on new purchases to coincide with your annual renewal that way they all fall on the same date. As far as keeping track of the contracts, I know what exactly what critical devices that need to be covered and I log into each device to double check the serial. For assets that aren't being used anymore, I have the VAR take it off the renewal. Yes, this is a pain in the rear end but it only happens once a year and takes me only a few hours. For the amount of equipment that we have (less than 50 devices under contract), it seems like a waste of time to research/design/implement a better system.

This what exactly we do for all our gear, whether Cisco or Juniper. All our contracts end in Sept of every year, so if I buy something now, I buy a full year and whatever is needed to bring it to the next Sept. date.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
We just had a nice presentation from Cisco on their VoIP platform. I really like it, but management has already been sold hard on Microsoft Lync. Anyone have experience with this before? We're already a Cisco shop, so I don't see why we shouldn't have all of our VoIP infrastructure come from one vendor instead of having to involve four or five from end to end (phones, switches, media gateways, etc). Oh god the thought is awful :smithicide:

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

VR Cowboy posted:

We just had a nice presentation from Cisco on their VoIP platform. I really like it, but management has already been sold hard on Microsoft Lync. Anyone have experience with this before? We're already a Cisco shop, so I don't see why we shouldn't have all of our VoIP infrastructure come from one vendor instead of having to involve four or five from end to end (phones, switches, media gateways, etc). Oh god the thought is awful :smithicide:
Start campaigning to only control the network portions of the solution: QoS, IP allocations etc. and whoever sold your management hard on Lync can manage it. alternatively if they've been sold mostly on the Lync client and its integration into other Microsoft products there's a plugin available for Lync that will talk to cups/cucm that allows Lync to do the various desktop related call management the cup client can do.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

VR Cowboy posted:

Pitch Cisco Jabber, it does the exact same things Lync does, only on more platforms.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
For a lot more money. If you want HD video, meetings, presence be prepared to shell out major dollars. It's a lot cheaper if you already do volume licensing with Microsoft.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Mierdaan posted:

How do people at larger organizations keep track of SMARTnet contracts?

Poorly. :smug:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

For a lot more money. If you want HD video, meetings, presence be prepared to shell out major dollars. It's a lot cheaper if you already do volume licensing with Microsoft.

We do... They leveraged that to convince them that it would be "essentially free."
Except for, you know, buying AND licensing gateways, branch appliances, call centre applications, desk sets, conference units, cameras for lecture capture, cabling, and PoE equipment. :(

Our CIO is uppity about the perceived cost of the Cisco platform, but seriously we're a public post-secondary college and we've never payed MSRP for anything.

Jabber is a good point, because Lync doesn't have a Blackberry client (just an app that RIM made that connects to it). It's XMPP based to students can go bananas using it on whatever multi-protocol IM thing they use. The call centre part of Lync is really half-assed. Any meaningful call centre functionality comes from 3rd party developers, nothing from MS.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Looking to buy an AnyConnect Mobile License. When it says "1 device", does that mean one mobile client or one ASA?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

FasterThanLight posted:

Looking to buy an AnyConnect Mobile License. When it says "1 device", does that mean one mobile client or one ASA?

Both the AnyConnect for Mobile and the Anyconnect essentials is for one ASA (up to the platform user limit).

Anyconnect premium is per user.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Nitr0 posted:

In my experiences the difference is not substantial. Microsoft however does want you to think that ;-)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
We looked into it not even a year ago and it was over $50,000.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Nitr0 posted:

We looked into it not even a year ago and it was over $50,000.

Remember organizations requirements are different. To be able to roll out Lync we had to make sure it could to interop with our existing videoconferencing gear. (bridges and stuff) Keeping in mind that Lync is not standard based that brought up the price of the solution quite a bit.

Disclaimer: I do work for Cisco (not with video/collab) and these experiences are over a year old with a former employer, things can have changed.

ior fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 30, 2012

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
Yo what do you guys use for configuration management?

not interested in homebrew/rancid

I used to use Arcsight NCM back in '08 on a large WAN and it was really nice. I guess HP bought Arcsight out and NCM is disco'd.

I'm looking at HP Network Automation but would be interested in other products to test.

Must be vendor agnostic. Please don't troll with "Ciscoworks"

Thank you.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
E-Netware which became BMC Network Automation which became BMC Bladelogic or something. Can be used to push OS versions, config changes, audit for compliance and whatnot. I wouldn't trust it (or anything) for any major config changes but it is used to do basic customer provisioning from custom templates for various vendors equipment.

While it does keep diffs of configs, it has a stupid arbitrary limit of 99. RANCID is way better at that part so we run that as well.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
Cool... we are standing up Bladelogic for our compute requirements so maybe I can just use their network stuff as well.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
NetMRI is nice.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
NetMRI is absolute garbage, sorry.

If you ever used Arcsight NCM you would throw NetMRI in the trash immediately.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

teh z0rg posted:

not interested in homebrew/rancid
Out of curiousity, why do you dislike RANCID?

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
It's not that i dislike it it's just that i don't have time personally to setting up and admin'ing it all not to mention what's gonna happen when i leave so i'm looking for an appliance-type out of box solution with support contracts.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I liked the Solarwinds Cirrus engine. Which may or may not have been rolled into whatever they're calling it these days.

But I dunno, maybe it's absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

jwh posted:

I liked the Solarwinds Cirrus engine. Which may or may not have been rolled into whatever they're calling it these days.

But I dunno, maybe it's absolute garbage.

NCM.

It's probably worth it if you're a Solarwinds shop since I'm pretty sure it's integrated heavily with NPM and it's ilk now.

Personally I just roll with RANCID, next trick with it will be some scripting to pull from the CMDB to populate router.db (putting CPE equipment into different groups so we don't poll every piece of gear every hour)