Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

The Gripper posted:

Unity things

Yes, my point was that Unity itself has no way of rolling back a project to an older version. It has no internal concept of how to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Strumpy posted:

Yes, my point was that Unity itself has no way of rolling back a project to an older version. It has no internal concept of how to do this.
My reply was meant to quote the dude with the problem (in case it sounds like a weird anti-contradiction of what you said).

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

quote:

It can happen if you set the path of an asset to the root directory of your assets AssetDataBase.CreateAsset("Assets") (why would you do this?). I don't think this would roll you back to an old version though, just outright delete all your assets.
FYI this is totally stupid, and will be fixed for Unity 4.1.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Strumpy posted:

FYI this is totally stupid, and will be fixed for Unity 4.1.
Has anyone actually managed to lose a project that way (and reported it?). I only heard about it through someone else telling me not to gently caress around with CreateAsset, it'd really suck to have that happen in practice.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
What are people's experiences with Unity and git? A friend of mine says they work flawlessly together, but he's a bit of a Unity fan so I have my doubts about it. If your working files change after a pull, for instance, and you alt tab back to Unity, does it notice the new changes? Does it have an integrated git support (ie. show changes on the fly in the environment)?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

SnowblindFatal posted:

What are people's experiences with Unity and git? A friend of mine says they work flawlessly together, but he's a bit of a Unity fan so I have my doubts about it. If your working files change after a pull, for instance, and you alt tab back to Unity, does it notice the new changes? Does it have an integrated git support (ie. show changes on the fly in the environment)?

Always close unity when updating a project from source control. Just do it. It will save you so much headache. I use github with unity for my personal stuff and it works really great, though you do need to do a bit of work setting up the .gitignore.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Flownerous posted:

Didn't see anything on the Asset Store.

The top answer here has an explanation and two workarounds:
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/168678/why-mp3-cant-work-on-webstandalone.html?sort=oldest

And I think there's a price to pay if you distribute over 5000 units: http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

Well that's disappointing, though I can understand their reasons. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to use a third party library to handle audio then; something like BASS for example, rather than trying to convert files during runtime. Thanks for the info on the MP3 licensing though, I assumed there was some form of licensing needed but wasn't sure what exactly was required.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Mo_Steel posted:

Well that's disappointing, though I can understand their reasons. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to use a third party library to handle audio then; something like BASS for example, rather than trying to convert files during runtime. Thanks for the info on the MP3 licensing though, I assumed there was some form of licensing needed but wasn't sure what exactly was required.
Can't you convert the files to ogg beforehand rather than during runtime? Is there something horribly wrong with ogg format?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I'd think doing mp3 -> ogg at runtime wouldn't actually sidestep the licensing requirement anyway, since you'll technically be distributing an mp3 and decoder in some form as part of the conversion. Edit; unless it's for something like a Jukebox, I don't think it applies if the mp3 is user-supplied.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 20, 2012

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Ah, I guess maybe the idea is to do something with mp3 files from some other host somewhere, so you can't pre-parse them? Not sure what the best solution for that would be, depends how many different files you're expecting - doing a caching conversion on a server somewhere might be best if it's not too many.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

roomforthetuna posted:

Ah, I guess maybe the idea is to do something with mp3 files from some other host somewhere, so you can't pre-parse them? Not sure what the best solution for that would be, depends how many different files you're expecting - doing a caching conversion on a server somewhere might be best if it's not too many.

My intention would be to have the user pick a single song from their own music library while the game is in a menu scene, then it would load the primary game scene using the supplied file as the Audio Clip for an already existing Audio Source within the scene. Depending on how long it takes to convert a single song file it might be alright to find a way to convert to OGG first. The MP3s should all ideally be on the user side of things, not distributed with the game itself.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

My intention would be to have the user pick a single song from their own music library while the game is in a menu scene, then it would load the primary game scene using the supplied file as the Audio Clip for an already existing Audio Source within the scene. Depending on how long it takes to convert a single song file it might be alright to find a way to convert to OGG first. The MP3s should all ideally be on the user side of things, not distributed with the game itself.

I can tell you from other open source products, the problem is with distributing the decoder, not the mp3s. You're going to need a license if you want to decode mp3s, and that includes immediately re-encoding them into another format. Look into sidestepping the issue with the "go download LAME yourself and drop it in if you want to use MP3s" trick.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

I can tell you from other open source products, the problem is with distributing the decoder, not the mp3s. You're going to need a license if you want to decode mp3s, and that includes immediately re-encoding them into another format. Look into sidestepping the issue with the "go download LAME yourself and drop it in if you want to use MP3s" trick.
Since this is targeting PC, another option may be to use DirectShow filters to do the decoding for you. Since the decoder is packaged with the OS and not your application, you don't have to worry about licensing it. I'm not sure if you'd be able to do that within the Unity app though, you might need an external app.

i.e. http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/converting-mp3-wav-using-directshow-help-24836192.html

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

SnowblindFatal posted:

It works exactly as you described.

The only time things kind of get stupid is when you store a large amount of assets in git and check them out fresh. Unity has to reimport all of them which can take a bit of time depending on how many there are.

The .gitignore isn't such a huge deal anymore either. Now that they have updated Unity with better external repo support you only have to set it like so:

code:
Temp
Library

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Strumpy posted:

Unity always saves your work to the actual files, not some temporary location. This seems really really weird. Unity does not keep older versions of the project around and there is no inbuilt local VCS. I have no idea how this could happen at all. Did you run a windows rollback or a time machine restore or something?

The Gripper posted:

It can happen if you set the path of an asset to the root directory of your assets AssetDataBase.CreateAsset("Assets") (why would you do this?). I don't think this would roll you back to an old version though, just outright delete all your assets.

It could also possibly happen if your project directory is in %USERNAME% or %APPDATA% and for some reason your system has loaded you into a temporary profile. In that case you could check C:\Users\ for any temporary users (I think they're named <YourUsername>.<RandomCharacters> e.g. "CentripetalHorse.dghsd").

I'm not sure whether that would have you working on a separate copy of your unity project, but it can't hurt to check.

I figured out what happened, and posted about it on the Unity forums. It's so stupid, I simply cannot believe Unity has been around this long and this hasn't been addressed.

Unity automatically opens your last project when you start the IDE. If you open Unity by double-clicking a package, Unity starts, opens your last project, then imports everything from the package, silently overwriting existing files. Seriously, no warnings, nothing. Existing file newer than package file? Tough nuggets: OVERWRITTEN. If you double-click or select to import a package after Unity is opened, the same thing happens. I do not even get the import dialog when this happens, unless the project is empty.

So, in essence, double-clicking a package file to open Unity cost me an entire weekend's work (couple hundred lines of code, plus a bunch of assets designed and tweaked) without so much as an, "Are you sure you want to overwrite every single file in this project?"

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Centripetal Horse posted:

imports everything from the package, silently overwriting existing files.

:stare:

Thanks for the heads up.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Centripetal Horse posted:

So, in essence, double-clicking a package file to open Unity cost me an entire weekend's work (couple hundred lines of code, plus a bunch of assets designed and tweaked) without so much as an, "Are you sure you want to overwrite every single file in this project?"

That sounds extremely painful, although kind of a weird workflow. Have you told the Unity folks? It sounds like something they may have missed in their usability testing just because it's not how a "typical" user would use Unity.

Still, that sucks. Time to use some sort of source control?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I was planning on messing around with XNA to see what it can do, then discovered that Visual Studio 2010 is required. I have access to Dreasmpark Premium and can get VS 2010 Premium, Pro and Ultimate for free. Is there any particular one that works best with XNA or shall I just grab the one with the most features (Ultimate I'm guessing)? Or is that full of unnnecessary Enterprise-specific features that are going to confuse the hell out of me? I do have some dev experience if that makes any difference.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

chippy posted:

I was planning on messing around with XNA to see what it can do, then discovered that Visual Studio 2010 is required. I have access to Dreasmpark Premium and can get VS 2010 Premium, Pro and Ultimate for free. Is there any particular one that works best with XNA or shall I just grab the one with the most features (Ultimate I'm guessing)? Or is that full of unnnecessary Enterprise-specific features that are going to confuse the hell out of me? I do have some dev experience if that makes any difference.
This comparison is the definitive one, though it's needlessly marketing-like and only shows features that aren't common (making it out like Ultimate has "everything" and Professional comparatively has "nothing", when it's actually nowhere near that clean cut). Ultimate is ultimately (no pun intended!) full of enterprise-like features that you're probably not going to even think of using for XNA projects.

In short, go with Professional.

Also XNA does work with VS2012, and though it's a bit of a struggle to get working I would recommend it since 2012 is a significant improvement outright over 2012 in every aspect, plus Professional is slightly more feature-rich. Unfortunately you need VS2010 installed first to install XNA, then there's a few things that need to be copied and deleted after installing 2012 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10881005/how-to-install-xna-game-studio-on-visual-studio-2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks dude. I thought Pro was probably gonna be the one to go with, but I found that chart before and like you say, it was very marketing oriented and not really telling me what I needed to know. Cool, I have access to a free copy of 2012 as well. I'll get everything up and running with 2010 and then see about getting it work on '12. Nice one.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
As someone who doesn't use XNA (but uses C#), can anyone explain why the version of Visual Studio matters for a game programming API? Sounds really dumb.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Orzo posted:

As someone who doesn't use XNA (but uses C#), can anyone explain why the version of Visual Studio matters for a game programming API? Sounds really dumb.
It doesn't, Microsoft just happened to package XNA for VS2010 and seemingly has no intent of updating the installer for VS2012 despite it working fine. It's not just an API though, it integrates a bunch of other things into the IDE that depend on IDE features available only in 2010+.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Oh, I guess that makes partial sense then. What IDE features does it use that are only available in 2010? Honesly I don't even remember 2010 introducing anything new.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Whoops I meant VS2008 as a base version.

Honestly I have no idea what it depends on specifically, but it applies as an IDE extension which I'm not sure was available in the same form pre-2008, and I presume most of the requirements come from Xbox 360/Windows Phone deployment/testing.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Orzo posted:

What are some of your favorite APIs/engines for C#? I've only exclusively used XNA and the rumors of it losing official support worry me.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

TJChap2840 posted:

What are some of your favorite APIs/engines for C#? I've only exclusively used XNA and the rumors of it losing official support worry me.
I'm currently using SlimDX for a 2D game, and I've been meaning to check out SharpDX. They're more DirectX wrappers than they are game libraries, though, so they're a bit more programming-heavy. I haven't figured out what I'm using for sound/music and I don't care too much about networking at the moment.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Remember that prior to 2012 VS Pro doesn't include profiler, only Premium and Ultimate do. In 2012 Pro does have it.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Orzo posted:

Is it really that hard to imagine that an API could have a dependency on a compiler version? Happens all the time.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Paniolo posted:

Is it really that hard to imagine that an API could have a dependency on a compiler version? Happens all the time.
The question wasn't "does it happen", it was "why?" Happening all the time doesn't make it not dumb.

The answer is likely a combination of "Microsoft's XNA programmers were lazy assholes" and "Microsoft's management told them to do it that way to 'encourage' companies to upgrade to a new expensive Microsoft product." (Not being all "Micro$oft", the same sort of bullshit would be true of many businesses.)

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

roomforthetuna posted:

The question wasn't "does it happen", it was "why?" Happening all the time doesn't make it not dumb.

The answer is likely a combination of "Microsoft's XNA programmers were lazy assholes" and "Microsoft's management told them to do it that way to 'encourage' companies to upgrade to a new expensive Microsoft product." (Not being all "Micro$oft", the same sort of bullshit would be true of many businesses.)

Like The Gripper said, XNA was an IDE extension in addition to an API. You would start an 'XNA Project' within VS that contained several sub-projects for your code, your content, and the content importer system. Then when you built the project the IDE would look at your content node for anything new/updated and run the appropriate content importer to pack that content into a .xnb binary file before compiling your own code. The custom project types and build processes are pretty reasonable things to tie to a specific version of the IDE as they could change in the future.

That said, XNA is all but officially dead. The main devs have been re-assigned to other projects and there's no official plans to issue another version for VS2012. It was a fun little tool while it lasted but sloppy marketing and an absolute adherence to only running on DX9 finally killed it off.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

PDP-1 posted:

That said, XNA is all but officially dead. The main devs have been re-assigned to other projects and there's no official plans to issue another version for VS2012. It was a fun little tool while it lasted but sloppy marketing and an absolute adherence to only running on DX9 finally killed it off.

Its really too bad, XNA makes a lot of things so very convenient. I'm knee deep in an XNA game myself and although its disappointing that XNA support seems to be drying up at least its apparently pretty easy to port to monogame.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Don't view it as a loss, the real meat of game development is the actual game programming and its assets (art, music, level design, etc), not its engine. You should be able to convert to another engine when you need to--if you need to.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

http://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/draw.html#pygame.draw.polygon ?

edit: this is only solid, but you could maybe fake textured polys by maybe making a surface, blitting the texture to it, then blitting a solid poly over that with the color key set to the color of the poly.

Wouldn't this work too? http://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/gfxdraw.html#pygame.gfxdraw.textured_polygon

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

yea but:
"EXPERIMENTAL!: meaning this api may change, or dissapear in later pygame releases. If you use this, your code will break with the next pygame release."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"next pygame release"

There hasn't been one of those in years.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

"next pygame release"

There hasn't been one of those in years.

I was going to make a joke about this http://code.google.com/p/pgreloaded/ but i looked at the history and it looks like it's actually being developed as of this year

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
If you're going to distribute your game you're going to want to package all the modules up anyway, so an experimental function isn't going to be a problem at all until you decide to update, if you ever do for that game.

I only avoid using experimental features of anything that could be updated by users independently of the game, like system API or graphics driver API.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Unity4 will eventually publish to Linux, but will there be content creation tools for Linux? I can't find any information about that.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Dolex posted:

Unity4 will eventually publish to Linux, but will there be content creation tools for Linux? I can't find any information about that.

I believe there are no plans for a Linux toolset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Should I just skip XNA altogether and look into learning a different framework instead then?