Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is a shot in the dark but does anyone know where I could buy Kopparberg in the U.S.? I found one website that sells it (Half Time Beverages) but shipping takes a long time and literally doubles the price of the alcohol :(

Alternatively, how might I go about getting my local liquor store to stock it? I've asked someone before if they could get it and he had some book of everything he said he can import, but that didn't make sense to me. If that website could sell it, why can't this guy get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sab669 posted:

If that website could sell it, why can't this guy get it?

Distribution deals. Without getting into the nitty gritty, basically a beer is only locally available when the brewery/importer/etc. makes a deal with a local distributor. If that's not the case for what you're looking for, then you're stuck going another route (like your website, which you may need to check to see if they're even available to ship to your state). Your best route might be to get a hold of the brewery itself and see who might carry it near you.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They do ship, luckily it's "only" going from New York --> Massachusetts, but as I said it almost doubles the price. I bought a case earlier this year and just finished it back in September actually- had to force myself to ration it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jesus gently caress. Beer tastes better than reading!

quote:

White Whale Ale is infused with the sea-faring spirit of Moby Dick. Michael and Emily Powell took pages from a copy of the book and, along with Rogue brewmaster, John Maier, placed them into the brew kettle.

http://beerpulse.com/2012/11/rogue-white-whale-ale-brewed-with-moby-dick-just-released-in-bottles/

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

"Rogue brewmaster, John Maier"

There's your problem right there

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

TROLLING.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Between this, Voodoo doughnut, and the beard yeast, Rogue has taken the crown from Dogfish Head as shittiest gimmick brewery ever. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they try culturing yeast from some chick's vag and making some cooter beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Been discussed before: Can't do it.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Is putting printing ink into a beer even 100% safe?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Dead Guy, I'll admit was a recommendation from someone when I first got into craft, and I enjoyed it, but I honestly feel bad for anyone who still buys Rogue products.

My friend spent about $40 on the Dead Guy Whiskey and it was maybe worth half the price.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I wish I could still find the homebrewtalk thread where a guy was asking how best to make a beer from his dead wife's ashes.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

TenaciousTomato posted:

Dead Guy, I'll admit was a recommendation from someone when I first got into craft, and I enjoyed it, but I honestly feel bad for anyone who still buys Rogue products.

My friend spent about $40 on the Dead Guy Whiskey and it was maybe worth half the price.

Dead Guy is still pretty good IMO, but does anyone have recs for a similar/superior beer?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

crazyfish posted:

I wish I could still find the homebrewtalk thread where a guy was asking how best to make a beer from his dead wife's ashes.

I'm not sure if this is the thread you're referencing, but I can't imagine there being more than a handful of people who have ever considered this. :barf:

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

hellfaucet posted:

I'm not sure if this is the thread you're referencing, but I can't imagine there being more than a handful of people who have ever considered this. :barf:

quote:

We are not crackpots and we truly believe that this is a good idea.

Those are two conflicting statements

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Huge_Midget posted:

Between this, Voodoo doughnut, and the beard yeast, Rogue has taken the crown from Dogfish Head as shittiest gimmick brewery ever. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they try culturing yeast from some chick's vag and making some cooter beer.

Voodoo doughnut is at least a flavour they're trying to emulate. What the gently caress is the point of putting several pages of Moby Dick in a beer? I mean, Melville's opus is the single most densely symbolic work of American Literature. They're too lazy to use an actual ingredient or tailor the recipe to the time when it happened or get a hunk of Ambergris in there?

I mean, some breweries jump the shark but rogue just harpooned it.

Also, looks like we're getting Unibroue Fin Du Monde as a limited time offering on December 21st, since it's the end of the world. That's how you do a gimmick.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

saints gambit posted:

What the gently caress is the point of putting several pages of Moby Dick in a beer?

Do people not read my posts?

TROLLING.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

hellfaucet posted:

I don't think this was it, there was someone who was specifically asking about his dead wife, I think.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Given Rogue, I would have expected them to stir the wort with a genuine whale penis at least.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Stone's Enjoy-By-12-21-2012 tastes quite similar to Sculpin to me. Not sure how to describe it the day after, but it has that peppery hop note that I associate with Sculpin.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Finally working out my road trip a bit more. Ultimately I decided that I didn't feel like driving all the way across the continent again (all the places I really want to visit are on the coasts anyway) and so I'll drive up/down the West a bit, fly home to VA for Xmas, and then maybe try train-ing my way up to New England.

Along those lines I'll be up in Seattle and WA in general next week; any particular recommendations on places to go?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Along those lines I'll be up in Seattle and WA in general next week; any particular recommendations on places to go?

Brouwer's/Bottleworks and Stumbling Monk.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Finally working out my road trip a bit more. Ultimately I decided that I didn't feel like driving all the way across the continent again (all the places I really want to visit are on the coasts anyway) and so I'll drive up/down the West a bit, fly home to VA for Xmas, and then maybe try train-ing my way up to New England.

If you're into lambics, you can head 2 hours north to Vancouver and buy a ton of Cantillon! As far as Seattle goes, Bottleworks is seriously awesome. Last time I was there I bought week old Pliny.

You also might wanna check out the Black Raven Brewing Co.

http://www.blackravenbrewing.com/index.htm

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone buy a Rogue whiskey for $40 when Buffalo Trace, Angel's Envy, Woodford Reserve, Jefferson's Reserve, Black Maple Hill, and etc (I could go on for at least 15 bourbons) is available at the same price or cheaper?

saints gambit posted:

Also, looks like we're getting Unibroue Fin Du Monde as a limited time offering on December 21st, since it's the end of the world. That's how you do a gimmick.

This is becoming a pet peeve of mine since it's becoming so rampant, but the beer is La Fin Du Monde. Yeah I'll be that guy.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Midorka posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone buy a Rogue whiskey for $40 when Buffalo Trace, Angel's Envy, Woodford Reserve, Jefferson's Reserve, Black Maple Hill, and etc (I could go on for at least 15 bourbons) is available at the same price or cheaper?

To try it? I don't know. Glad it wasn't me.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I like Elysian, though none of their beers really blow me away.

If you happen to make it across the sound to Bainbridge Island, check out Sound Brewery in Poulsbo.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from the Taphouse Grill downtown. They have a ton of good craft beer taps, but lots of the beer tastes old and the taps are dirty. I actually had chunks of stuff floating in a glass from one of their rotating taps.

Sublimer posted:

You also might wanna check out the Black Raven Brewing Co.

http://www.blackravenbrewing.com/index.htm

I second this recommendation. Black Raven is good.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

TenaciousTomato posted:

To try it? I don't know. Glad it wasn't me.

There are hundreds of good bourbons now from non lovely companies, I mean if their beer is mediocre how can you expect their whiskey to turn out? Personally I've gone through about 25 bottles of different bourbon, all at or under the $40 price point, and I've still only scratched the surface.

I finally got Wookey Jack and I personally like Left Hand's Fade to Black Volume 4 better, I like the piney earthy hops in conjunction with the cocoa and roasted malts in Fade to Black compared to the citrus grassy hops in Wookey Jack. I'm surprised how well the hops have held on though.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Midorka posted:

There are hundreds of good bourbons now from non lovely companies, I mean if their beer is mediocre how can you expect their whiskey to turn out? Personally I've gone through about 25 bottles of different bourbon, all at or under the $40 price point, and I've still only scratched the surface.

Personally I don't care, like I said I didn't buy it. Thanks though :3:

Not to be entirely off-topic I was at a mexican joint earlier and had tried some Dos Equis. Maybe a little bit better than bud light :downs:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crazyfish posted:

I don't think this was it, there was someone who was specifically asking about his dead wife, I think.

IIRC the thread got deleted for being such a loving abomination that even HBT wouldn't abide it.

In less :wtc: news, someone left bottles of Goose Island IPA at my house last week after a party. I'd had it once before on draft and it ruled. 2 month old bottles are less "holy poo poo" good but still really really awesome and I'm going to buy more once I figure out where he found it.

The mouthfeel was actually pretty remarkable. It came across as creamy, almost like a nitro beer but without dulling the hops the way nitro does. Anyway not to stir up this shitstorm again, but for me personally, until such time as AB actually ruins Goose Island I welcome their stuff finally being available in Colorado for me to try.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

TenaciousTomato posted:

Not to be entirely off-topic I was at a mexican joint earlier and had tried some Dos Equis. Maybe a little bit better than bud light :downs:

Negra Modelo or bust

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Midorka posted:

This is becoming a pet peeve of mine since it's becoming so rampant, but the beer is La Fin Du Monde. Yeah I'll be that guy.

Yeah man! And while we're out it it's Kentucky Breakfast Stout, not KBS! And its Bourbon County Stout not BCS! :jerkbag:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
So I did a Left Hand Milk Stout vs Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro side by side comparison today.
I'm still going with my stance "nitro beers are gimmicks and people who don't know better" because it hasn't been wrong yet.
Sure the head/foam is a bit denser due to the nitrogenation but a lot less co2 being present detracts from the full appreciation of the flavors. The nitro tasted a lot more watery and boring, with significantly reduced aromatics from the reduced effervescence.
It reminds me a lot of beer after you first take it from the fermenter and into the keg before its carbonated. Flat and limp and about to get a hell of a lot better.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Yeah man! And while we're out it it's Kentucky Breakfast Stout, not KBS! And its Bourbon County Stout not BCS! :jerkbag:

It's Bourbon County BRAND Stout idiot. :colbert:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BCS = (Brooklyn) Black Chocolate Stout
BCBS = (Goose Island) Bourbon County Brand Stout

I remember being utterly confused when someone said they got a four-pack of BCS for $7.99 way earlier in this thread.

edit: And nitro beers rule.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I'm glad to see other people say it, I've also never had a nitro beer that I thought was better than it's CO2 equivalent.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I thought Milk Stout was better on nitro tap and I thought that this Oatmeal Cookie beer a brewpub around here had on nitro was better than regular. Other than that I can't say I'm too fond of the nitro beers I've had and on a similar note I've never had a cask ale I've enjoyed. I don't get the love of cask ales but I'm passing from now on.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Good job on the distro Stone. Enjoy by 12/21/12 is hitting shelves across TX as of this morning. Hope to try some tonight after all the good feedback here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was hoping New Jersey would have calmed down enough from the first release that I'd be able to get it in bottles this time, but so far looking like nope. Bolt Cutter similarly vanished from shelves in a matter of hours, frustratingly, and I have yet to see Brown Shugga. :argh:

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Podima posted:

I was hoping New Jersey would have calmed down enough from the first release that I'd be able to get it in bottles this time, but so far looking like nope. Bolt Cutter similarly vanished from shelves in a matter of hours, frustratingly, and I have yet to see Brown Shugga. :argh:

Brown Shugga is pretty boring I think; typical Lagunitas taste, super boozy. I don't know what it is but all their beers taste extremely similar to me. I enjoy them, and Sucks was one of the best IPAs I've ever had, but I'm reluctant to try a lot of their stuff. Brown Shugga, Maximus, Hop Stoopid, even Little Sumpin' Wild all have such a similar profile. I dunno if it's the yeast or some way they make up their grain bills, or what.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Picture tour of Founders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Podima posted:

Do you want some Bolt Cutter? We have tons here. I'm about to go buy a bottle for another goon, I'll ship you some at cost if you let me know soonish so I don't have to make a second trip.

I will leave this offer open to other goons who regularly post in this thread for another ~2 hours or so because it's the holidays and I'm feeling nice.