Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You should have just stole some made by a caring neighbor and claimed it was yours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

You should have just stole some made by a caring neighbor and claimed it was yours!

Did this happen in the show? I have a vague memory of something like that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Janice, relabeling a dish after Bobby's wife dies?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

A Violence Gang posted:

Janice, relabeling a dish after Bobby's wife dies?
That's what I was thinking, but it wasn't Karen's ziti though, because I remember when they ate that together as a "moving on" type of moment.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Yeah it was Carm's lasagne she claimed as her own, Junior told Bobby but he didn't believe him.

And yeah, I'm another one it makes really hungry, so much of the food looks amazing in the show, I've got a big book here about all the behind the scenes stuff, and they said it was a pretty popular thing for people to have viewing parties for it where they'd all eat Italian food while watching (and I like to imagine they'd say AY, OH! to everything too) which seems like a pretty good way to view it really!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yup. But Jesus, no wonder Tony is so goddamn fat. I swear if I lived in Italy (or Jersey, I guess) I'd weigh so loving much.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

escape artist posted:

Yep.

Great scene.

And I forgot how hungry the Sopranos always made me. I remember someone posting a recipe for amazing ziti (Ishamael?) and I spent $30 bucks on the ingredients and ended up making it. It was phenomenal.

Nice!

Yeah, back when the show was on, we had a party every Sunday at someone's house, and the host would make a big Italian dinner. It was goddamn amazing, and we all got fatter.

The same group has been doing Game of Thrones dinners now, but while mead and pork pies are delicious, they aren't as good as that ziti.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ishamael posted:

Nice!

Yeah, back when the show was on, we had a party every Sunday at someone's house, and the host would make a big Italian dinner. It was goddamn amazing, and we all got fatter.

The same group has been doing Game of Thrones dinners now, but while mead and pork pies are delicious, they aren't as good as that ziti.

Were you the one who posted that phenomenal ziti recipe? Multi-layered, with the sausage. Goddamn, it cost a lot, but I got so many amazing meals out of it. Super belated thanks, buddy!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

escape artist posted:

Were you the one who posted that phenomenal ziti recipe? Multi-layered, with the sausage. Goddamn, it cost a lot, but I got so many amazing meals out of it. Super belated thanks, buddy!

Yeah, that was mine. It was definitely a beast, I have only made it once since the show ended. So tasty, though. You're welcome for the future heart problems!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kippa posted:

Yeah it was Carm's lasagne she claimed as her own, Junior told Bobby but he didn't believe him.

It was just the tip of the iceberg too in her mad quest to be Bobby's new wife. The best was probably when she went online as a ghost and convinced the kids to get out the Ouji Board and freak themselves out.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Janice really was a terrible person in a show full of terrible people. I guess the fact that she was so completely self centered and whiny made her stand out from the crowd of regular jerks.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ishamael posted:

Yeah, that was mine. It was definitely a beast, I have only made it once since the show ended. So tasty, though. You're welcome for the future heart problems!

Ha, I've got heart issues, including tachycarida, hypertension, potential irregular heat beat... I don't think a nice ziti dish from like 4 years ago will make much of a difference. Thanks for your concern though!

MrBling posted:

Janice really was a terrible person in a show full of terrible people. I guess the fact that she was so completely self centered and whiny made her stand out from the crowd of regular jerks.

She was, but not only was she written that way, Aida Turtorro did a fantastic job portraying that character.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Janice is basically the manipulative, sneaky counterpart to Tony's bruteforce sledgehammer approach and you get the feeling that if she had actually been involved in the family business she would have ended up like that female loanshark that Phil killed.

ie. mouthing off to somebody and thinking she had more protection than she really did.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ishamael posted:

Could you possibly repost that?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MrBling posted:

Janice is basically the manipulative, sneaky counterpart to Tony's bruteforce sledgehammer approach and you get the feeling that if she had actually been involved in the family business she would have ended up like that female loanshark that Phil killed.

ie. mouthing off to somebody and thinking she had more protection than she really did.

I thought it was really funny how she resorted to spying on her neighbors with binoculars, just like her mother.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Could you possibly repost that?

Was going to ask this same thing. Gabagool!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I found it earlier in the thread. So much cheese

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Baked_Ziti

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

That's the one! Man that's a lot of cheese.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ishamael posted:

That's the one! Man that's a lot of cheese.

It wasn't a dominating taste, though. The sauce and meat balanced it all. Frankly, it was a work of culinary art! :)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

escape artist posted:

It wasn't a dominating taste, though. The sauce and meat balanced it all. Frankly, it was a work of culinary art! :)

I'm not gonna argue with that, it is a mix of a recipe my grandma and aunt used to make, and some stuff I just made up. Mmmmm....cheese

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I hope you people realise you've made me re-watch this again.

Tony is so thin in the beginning.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
And his accent is slightly different in the first episode or two. They make sure to let you know that it's Sop-rahh-no, but eventually buckle to regular old Sop-raaan-o.

I rewatched the first two seasons a few months back. Then watched one from S6. Jesus what a blimp he was toward the end.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well considering how much food he ate on set its not really surprising :v:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
They actually made him gain weight progressively, as a way of showing his recklessness. Gandalfini was pretty pissed about it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Got a link to an interview or something about it? I caught up with the Sopranos long after it finished and haven't really read anything about it since, unlike with The Wire.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

escape artist posted:

They actually made him gain weight progressively, as a way of showing his recklessness. Gandalfini was pretty pissed about it.

Yeah, but it seems like if that were the truth, he would have lost the weight since then, which he hasn't done.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ishamael posted:

Yeah, but it seems like if that were the truth, he would have lost the weight since then, which he hasn't done.

He's still a big guy, but he isn't bordering on morbidly obese like he was in Season 6.

Scott Bakula posted:

Got a link to an interview or something about it? I caught up with the Sopranos long after it finished and haven't really read anything about it since, unlike with The Wire.

I'll find it for you later. I'm about to go to sleep. Gandalfini himself said it in an interview either pre-season 6, during it, or after it concluded.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
When you call him Gandalfini I can't help but get a mental image of him with a long beard and an a staff in hand while wearing his bathrobe.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrBling posted:

When you call him Gandalfini I can't help but get a mental image of him with a long beard and an a staff in hand while wearing his bathrobe.

:lol: I have had a similar mental image every time I type that, too.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
MOTHER FUCKIN' ORANGE PEEL BEEF!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I never caught this before. The little things are really great in this show.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'm re-watching this for the first time since watching the whole series right after the last season ended. Re-watching it I'm just flat out amazed at the acting. It's just so good all around, but Edie Falco really stands out for me. In the scene at Furio's house when Furio tells her she's a "special woman" you can just watch her heart and resolve melt looking up at him. Bone-crushingly good acting. For as despicable as basically all the characters are in their own way, it's almost impossible for me not to feel sympathy for all of them (well except Janice anyway). No other show I've seen has characters this deep and complex - truly an American work of art.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Nancy Marchand as Livia is probably the best in the series. The way she manipulates Junior at the beginning is so evil.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrBling posted:

Nancy Marchand as Livia is probably the best in the series. The way she manipulates Junior at the beginning is so evil.

Yeah she's really great. Re-watching a few months ago, it had been so long since watching her episodes I had forgotten how horrible a person Livia was. Which does make me have a lot more sympathy for Tony and Janice.

Deciding to stay away from her hosed up family is probably the best decision the rarely seen other Soprano sister ever made.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

marktheando posted:

Yeah she's really great. Re-watching a few months ago, it had been so long since watching her episodes I had forgotten how horrible a person Livia was. Which does make me have a lot more sympathy for Tony and Janice.

Deciding to stay away from her hosed up family is probably the best decision the rarely seen other Soprano sister ever made.

Yeah, she seems pretty well-off for that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

MrBling posted:

I had a grandmother like that. She just could never be happy and was always doom and gloom. The way she makes those dismissive hand gestures gets me every time.

And I can remember her saying that she never answered the phone after it was dark.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

MrBling posted:

I don't know what you're talkin' about.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Gyshall posted:

I don't know what you're talkin' about.

I wish the Lord would take me.

ftwtom
Feb 7, 2001

Scott Bakula posted:

oh man I found that recipe on gws like five years ago. Only made it twice but drat it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

DarthXaos posted:

I wish the Lord would take me.

Go into the ham, take the carving knife and stab me right HERE! It would hurt me less than what you just said!

I still have that Sopranos cookbook they published in 2001 or so.

• Locked thread