Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Imperador do Brasil posted:

When I used to sell tires, the Winterforces would fly off the shelves. One of the rare tires we never heard a complaint about. Hope your luck is as good! What are they going on?

Beater 99 Civic. Should be a pretty fun winter for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Hypnolobster posted:

Beater 99 Civic. Should be a pretty fun winter for once.
When I think fun in the snow, I think open diff FWD. :v:

But seriously, it's nice having "oh god am I going to die on this icy corner" lifted off your shoulder so you can focus on "jesus christ how can nobody else drive in this loving poo poo?"

You should do local rallycross events if you have any.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

jamal posted:

Oh, so that's where the Prodrive solenoid came from

Haha, really? Most of the Volvo guys with a tune or a bigger turbo get rid of it as soon as possible, or end up replacing them every year or two.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Paid 275€ to get my rail pressure sensor replaced.
I need one of these special Peugeot OBD2 tools that the shops use. Or some kind of chinese knockoff. Im loving tired of paying out of my rear end for this poo poo.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I think fun in the snow, I think open diff FWD. :v:

But seriously, it's nice having "oh god am I going to die on this icy corner" lifted off your shoulder so you can focus on "jesus christ how can nobody else drive in this loving poo poo?"

You should do local rallycross events if you have any.

Yeah, that's more of the fun I was thinking of.

I looked for rallycross events the moment I decided that I could afford snowtires this year, but didn't find any.

Really though winter is pretty fun regardless of the vehicle, as long as there's no immediate danger of death. My former 98 grand marquis with hard, mostly bald 89k allseasons was a blast most of the time.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I had my windshield replaced today.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Pull apart my 98 Jetta TDI looking for a leaking valve seal, which I found, but also discovered this...

Urgh, but pulled the trouble valves anyways are started replacing the guides and seals:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I bought a new ride today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Pull apart my 98 Jetta TDI looking for a leaking valve seal, which I found, but also discovered this...

Urgh, but pulled the trouble valves anyways are started replacing the guides and seals:

You never got back to me. :argh:

What's up with the Audi and the Megasquirt?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

You never got back to me. :argh:

What's up with the Audi and the Megasquirt?

Sorry Sock, I finished the wiring harness but just moved, so I haven't gotten a whole lot of work done on the Audis beyond that. They haven't even arrived where I've moved to yet.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Please tell me it was that old Merc from the craigslist thread.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Please tell me it was that old Merc from the craigslist thread.

Perhaps he just went to the red light district.

Awaiting a project thread appearance.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
The mystery of the Gelenkscheibensatz solved.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MATLAB 1988 posted:

The mystery of the Gelenkscheibensatz solved.

I never thought of that failure mode. Then again, I thought the bolts for the the Gelenkscheibensatz (I refuse to call it a "guibo" ever again :haw: ) were only supposed to be threaded on the end.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Replaced a faulty EGR valve on the Saturn. I quickly decided against any sort of cleaning/rebuild that thing was nasty. Very happy to see the check engine light go away.

Popped down to Ace for a set of brass nuts to replace the stamped steel nuts on the gauges for the International. It's so nice to see oil pressure actually climb to half-mast. Temperature doesn't seem to go above 1/4 though, probably still some extra resistance in the system. The gas gauge seems to read more true too, but I won't know until I fill up.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ran both tanks out of fuel. Managed to crawl it the last block to the service station on faint LPG fumes. That sucked. The petrol tank ran out at the corner of the last block.
Only put about $90 in it but it'll do for now. Don't think I need to go anywhere special.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

StormDrain posted:

Popped down to Ace for a set of brass nuts to replace the stamped steel nuts on the gauges for the International. It's so nice to see oil pressure actually climb to half-mast. Temperature doesn't seem to go above 1/4 though, probably still some extra resistance in the system. The gas gauge seems to read more true too, but I won't know until I fill up.

Yeah those IH gauges are pretty bad. If you aren't running an IH fuel sender you can forget about the fuel gauge ever reading more than 3/4. I forget all the science behind it, but basically any universal sender will always read 1/4 lower than reality. In an IH, maybe that's not so bad.

The other two gauges both require steady input from the IH gauge system voltage regulator. It's basically the same thing as a bi-metal spring, except with electrons running through it. They're made of unobtainanium and usually a bit flaky these days, being that even the youngest of them is roughly 30 years old. If one gauge is working normally though, then chances are the voltage regulator is doing ok. Suspect the gauge itself next.

One more thought, if you are running an IH v8 make sure you have a Robert Shaw style thermostat. They block off the bypass properly when open, if the bypass stays open, it may cause weird readings.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 20, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What's the resistance range on the stock and aftermarket senders?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

What's the resistance range on the stock and aftermarket senders?

The problem is that they have different curves. I think the IH senders and gauges are linear while most of the market is logarithmic.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm rolling stock so it should be like 10 ohms full and 90 empty, but I'm not too confident in how well it cleaned up either... I've been praying the ethanol will slowly help.

I figure for $6 I can afford a new sensor, but I wanted to check for continuity on the gauge first... Apparently I left my multimeter on and drained the 9v battery.

Also for how much hassle it was getting to the fuel gauge I didn't get to changing those nuts, I just polished the contacts the last time around with a pencil eraser

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EightBit posted:

The problem is that they have different curves. I think the IH senders and gauges are linear while most of the market is logarithmic.

Makes sense. I'm kinda interested what the actual minimum and maximum values are though since I've had the same problems swapping various year senders and gauges to other years on jeeps also, and I think I might be able to hack up a quick solution to it if the resistances are in the same approximate range.

For instance, a 90 and earlier jeep sender has the resistance curve going one way while the 91 and later ones go the other way. There are other differences, but essentially, if you put a 90 and earlier sender in a 91 or later vehicle your fuel gauge reads backwards and is really non-linear. I found that out the hard way :haw: Empty to Full is more like Extra to Fuuuuuuuck!

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

General_Failure posted:

Ran both tanks out of fuel. Managed to crawl it the last block to the service station on faint LPG fumes. That sucked. The petrol tank ran out at the corner of the last block.
Only put about $90 in it but it'll do for now. Don't think I need to go anywhere special.
Doesn't that damage the fuel pumps?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

b0nes posted:

Doesn't that damage the fuel pumps?

If it's ran without fuel, yes because the pump overheats or so it is said. So I filled up the LPG tank and dumped about $20 in the petrol tank.

In the case of LPG I'm pretty sure there is no fuel pump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Took the head for my TDI to the machine shop for new valve seats and guides.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Hey me too.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

DropShadow posted:

Hey me too.

So did I!

Not really. I just wanted to be a part of this.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Relocated the OBDII port on the STi so that the Cobb AP wire wouldn't stick out of the bottom of the dash and risk getting disconnected/damaged by a stray knee bump.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Your dedication to your altima is second to none. I'd recommend getting a BMW or something as your next car since you don't mind tinkering and maintenance.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Finished pulling the harness out for my TDI swap.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure I shattered a transmission mount on the E30 due to dirt road shennanigans while delivering papers.

Just bought the 75D polyurethane motor/transmission bushings from AKG. Just how much am I going to hate myself after the novelty of transmission noise wears off after 100 miles?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Beach Bum posted:

I'm pretty sure I shattered a transmission mount on the E30 due to dirt road shennanigans while delivering papers.

Just bought the 75D polyurethane motor/transmission bushings from AKG. Just how much am I going to hate myself after the novelty of transmission noise wears off after 100 miles?

I have those with the motor mounts, and its definitely louder and much more vibration. Hard to tell if thats from the trans only, or both. Is this your DD? I would find it problematic in a DD.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Full inspection, oil change, tire rotation, fluids topped off, brake and tire check at the VW dealership. Then hand wash (E5 here), compound and wax from (busy as hell) car wash. Figured she'd need a nice bath after having people fiddling around her bits. Good for another 5k miles now.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

DropShadow posted:

Hey me too.

Took a couple of days to fund the purchase, so it's only just now I've just taken possession. Literally just parked it for the first time. Pictures later.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Took a couple of days to fund the purchase, so it's only just now I've just taken possession. Literally just parked it for the first time. Pictures later.

Mine took almost two months to go from New Jersey to Minnesota. I only have one decent photo of it so far and I've already posted it in two threads, so I don't want to spam up a third. It's over in the "post your ride" thread.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ok, insurance-purposes cell-phone teaser shot below. I hope to take some glamor shots later.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Ok, insurance-purposes cell-phone teaser shot below. I hope to take some glamor shots later.

ohhh dear. Really? I considered grabbing one this week. An MB that is. Not a 2 door. Although I've been after a cheap 4x4 I love older Mercedes Benz and know my way around them. That and I can get one for a couple of hundred bux. Common and cheap as dirt like Volvos but still awesome cars.

e: actual content I forgot. Bid on a vehicle I knew I wouldn't get. I caught them at shenanigans shill bidding to find the highest bid amount. Which was higher than I could go anyway. Raised some car money so that counts I guess.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 21, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

General_Failure posted:

ohhh dear. Really? I considered grabbing one this week. Although I've been after a cheap 4x4 I love older Mercedes Benz and know my way around them. That and I can get one for a couple of hundred bux. Common and cheap as dirt like Volvos but still awesome cars.

This one is not very common. While Mercedes may have made something like 1.5 million W114-chassis vehicles, from my research it's one of only 2,425 250C (C=two-door coupe) produced in 1970. Like all US-market 250c is has a 2.8 liter SOHC straight six (guess BMW wasn't the first to gently caress up naming conventions), but what's quite rare for the already-rare model is that it has both a four-speed manual and A/C. On top of all that it has only 48,000 miles showing and the documents to back up the claim. All records came with it including original window sticker. I am the second owner.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like it. How good is the paint, ten footer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

trouser chili posted:

This one is not very common. While Mercedes may have made something like 1.5 million W114-chassis vehicles, from my research it's one of only 2,425 250C (C=two-door coupe) produced in 1970. Like all US-market 250c is has a 2.8 liter SOHC straight six (guess BMW wasn't the first to gently caress up naming conventions), but what's quite rare for the already-rare model is that it has both a four-speed manual and A/C. On top of all that it has only 48,000 miles showing and the documents to back up the claim. All records came with it including original window sticker. I am the second owner.

Wow that's really good. Our daily driver is rarer by a wide margin, but who gives a poo poo about a mid-90s Ford. It was made for a roughly 3 month production run and to this day I have never found anyone that has even seen another one with a factory V8.