Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Kevar posted:

I know someone here was talking about Prawn's album and it looks like topshelf got the records in the other day.

Stoked, can't wait for mine. I can't even remember what colour I ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm about to order my first Turntable, and I have a quick question that I've struggled to find the answer to;

I'm looking at a Pro-Ject essentials with built in Pre-amp. It automatically comes with an OM-3 cartridge, and for another $50, they offer an upgrade to an OM-10.

I've gained the basics of how cartridges impact the sound, but couldn't find a great comparison between these two.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012
anyone here heard anything about the black friday stuff coming out?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I know there's a list of black friday related deals on the RSD website.

Certain online retailers and record labels may be doing deals as well. I'm going to be glued to Popmarket all day I think.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Bliggers- posted:

I know there's a list of black friday related deals on the RSD website.

Certain online retailers and record labels may be doing deals as well. I'm going to be glued to Popmarket all day I think.

Here's a list of the PopMarket deals.

http://www.sonymusiccrm.com/labels/...0is%20coming%21

And the RSD stuff.

http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/2012BLACK_FRIDAY_PUBLIC.pdf

A lot of cool things on the RSD list, I'll rely on scarcity to help me keep a budget.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ah cool. Kinda want to be a dork and grab the Moonrise Kingdom soundtrack.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Y'all are part of the problem.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Could any provide some advice I'm having with a Thorens TD-125. I recently had to replace the belt, and I'm now encountering a lot of slippage. When starting the record up on 33, the belt inevitably slips off the spindle. I can remove the platter and set the belt on the plastic knob, but it will eventually slip back down.

Would applying light sandpaper to the knob create more surface area and give the belt some traction? The turntable is fairly old, and the plastic knob is pretty drat smooth.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Same.

Two more records:

The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic sealed tape
The Residents - Eskimo
Sonic Youth - Smart Bar 1985

I'm pretty new to the Residents, and a local store just got a ton of their albums in mint condition. Which ones should I check out?

Holy poo poo I didn't know smart bar was that old. I really want to see what it looked like back then. Last time I went it was all DJ style dance clubbed out.

Also there's actually some poo poo on the RSD list that I want, but I stopped going to RSD a year or two ago... Such a predicament.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

alg posted:

Y'all are part of the problem.

What problem?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Well thank you for that! I will be having a hard look at the Johnny Cash complete albums, Beach Boys Smile deluxe edition and Neil Young's archives vol 1.

I ordered the Sloan Twice Removed boxset from popmarket a couple days ago as well, $65 vs $99 plus shipping on the band webstore. I orded a Cash bootlegs package and it arrived in 3 days flat with no taxes or customs so I am 100% sold on popmarket.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Only thing for RSD I see is the Edward Sharpe 7" with some songs I haven't heard before. Everything else looks "meh".

Probably swing my local coffee/record store and see if they got a copy.

Edit: gently caress only Lexington is getting a copy. :( Anyone want to be nice and grab one for me?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 21, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Anyone who preordered the Melloncollie set from Amazon canada should check their emails. They are making good on the deal again if you ordered and it got cancelled.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cemetry Gator posted:

Anyone who preordered the Melloncollie set from Amazon canada should check their emails. They are making good on the deal again if you ordered and it got cancelled.

Awww yisssssss

Re-placed my order, $38usd shipped.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 21, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I haven't seen this posted yet: Insound has started up a "Best Sellers of 2012" sale until the end of the month. Buy any 10 LPs from their list of 100 best-sellers and get a free tote (:toot:) and 20% off of your whole order- even things that aren't on the list.

The list is pretty much mostly everything you'd expect- which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you were looking for a decent excuse to pick up those XX/Tame Impala/Grimes/Best Coast albums you've heard so much about or some Radiohead reissues. Also of note: The new Flying Lotus album, the new Godspeed You! album, the preorder for the upcoming special edition reissue of Turn On the Bright Lights, and the Soft Bulletin reissue- just to name a few.

While getting $50+ off of an initially $250+ order is a pretty sweet deal, it's still understandably a lot of money- particularly if you're not really nuts about most of the albums that get you the discount. My suggestion: hook up with a bunch of your bros and split the bill. There's probably at least an album or two on the list that you-and most vinyl people you know-might want, and you'll be able to apply the discount to non-sale items. Go nuts, the world is your oyster.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Cemetry Gator posted:

Fuuuck I can't even find the boxset on amazon.ca anymore, got a link? or is this only for folks who got their order through before?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Bliggers- posted:

Fuuuck I can't even find the boxset on amazon.ca anymore, got a link? or is this only for folks who got their order through before?

The wording in the email suggests it's only for people who's orders were canceled. I just followed the link in the email to find it. There was a coupon code in the email too as the price on the amazon page was like $65CDN

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Not quite a "Black Friday" thing, but Polyvinyl have a pretty good sale going on, and a lot of limited restocks of out of print vinyl. Quite a few colored versions back in stock that are/were mail order exclusives. Grabbed a few things, but I'm trying to resist buying the colored (or other colored) version of a records I already own.

Also, use promo code UTR for 15% off. Even on sale items.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just got this in the post, I've never seen a single side with so many tracks on it (14):

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
They are really going up in price now, did you get it for something sane?

Also track numbers get ridiculous on TV/radio jingle LPs. 20+ a side.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
RuPaul "Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask"

38 on side A, 35 on B.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Ru Paul says WORK IT.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Has anything outdone RRR 1000, with 500 locked grooves-per-side?

E- never saw this great Wikipedia page before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records

Snowy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 22, 2012

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

Wasn't that only 50? 500 seems crazy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

RRR 100, with 50 per side, was a 7" :v:

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

That must be it - thanks.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ron Burgundy posted:

Also track numbers get ridiculous on TV/radio jingle LPs. 20+ a side.

The guy I bought it off still has 3 listed on discogs for ~$15 each, where are they going for more?

synthetik posted:

RuPaul "Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask"

38 on side A, 35 on B.

Hectic

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The bay, heh.

Found those listings, pulling the trigger. Thanks!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ron Burgundy posted:

The bay, heh.

Found those listings, pulling the trigger. Thanks!

You might want to ask him to use a good mailer, he sent mine in this with two cardboard stiffeners:

I don't know if this was from the lovely mailer or if it was sent in this condition, but I wouldn't call the sleeve near mint:

The (plain white) inner sleeve is split on the sides too. The record itself is fine though. It also took about three-four weeks to get to Australia.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm pretty new to the Residents, and a local store just got a ton of their albums in mint condition. Which ones should I check out?

Eskimo is a super classic so good starting point. Commercial Album is probably the most "fun" and accessible, one of my favorites. Duck Stab is probably the all-around best work though, and if you can find the one with Buster and Glen on the other side, that's a real solid LP overall. I think the Duck Stab album by itself is probably more rare, but Buster and Glen is really good too, so buy that version for the music.

Also the Mole trilogy is a great concept, but I think the best is the first one, Mark of the Mole. The second record is okay, Tunes of Two Cities, and then Big Bubble is not quite up to par.

Fingerprince is also really good, and Not Available, but those are a little more avant garde, longer songs and a bit weirder.

Anyway, if the shop has any of those, get them, they're all really great. Oh also maybe onbviously, the first album is a classic, Meet the Residents. But any of the originals go for pretty decent money these days, and I wouldn't recommend it for a newer residents fan. Get one later on, when you're obsessed.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

It looks like you can almost buy the whole Bioshock 2 special edition with the game and vinyl for the same price as the record is going alone on ebay. I guess people might not realize that the Bioshock 1 soundtrack came in the Bioshock 2 package?

For a while after release, they were dirt cheap. I got the special edition for $30, and then bought another for $10 shipped from best buy a few months later. :psyduck:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm probably missing something obvious, but is there any way to see where each record is being sold and for how much?

There's a couple on there I wouldn't mind having if I don't have to move very many muscles.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Snowy posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but is there any way to see where each record is being sold and for how much?

There's a couple on there I wouldn't mind having if I don't have to move very many muscles.

Bull Moose has MSRP list:
http://www.bullmoose.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=258&deptnr=237

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

My local store is relocating a little further away at the end of the month, and they're having a half price clearance sale to clear out all their really lovely records but I found some stuff I'd been interested in:

The Styx record I just wanted because of the laser etching, and I have never listened to Marillion or Wishbone Ash. I hope the Marillion albums are among their highly regarded ones (I definitely recognise "Fugazi") and I've heard Steven Wilson mention Wishbone Ash hundreds of times in interviews and such. The real gem though is the King Crimson Record:

It was marked at $85, then $55, so I got it for $27.50. It's a first press on Island Records with very early matrix numbers, and the spine is fully readable and all that jazz. I don't know why it was in their clearance section at all, though it was sorted under the name "Crimson" so maybe it was accidentally left in the old premises or something. I had mentioned to a friend earlier this morning that I was hoping a store around me would have any version of this, so I am incredibly happy right now (plus I just got some uni results back and they were way better than I had hoped). Today is a very good day.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

eggsovereasy posted:

What problem?

Not making every day record store day!

RSD is kind of annoying because you'll always see every exclusive up on ebay by like noon. It plays into the ebay flipper "SUPER LIMITED EDITION OOP" culture. However, it's really beneficial to record stores because of the huge surge in sales. I'm not anti-RSD, it's just not really my thing.

I am a bit of a hypocrite though. I love having the rarest variant of an album. I'd just never go out of my way or spend a buttload of money to get it. I also have no intention of ever trying to sell any of my stuff. I just like to be one of the first people to preorder something from a band I like. It's all going to sound the same, so it doesn't actually matter.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Thanks, been looking for a price list of the stuff.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

david puddy posted:

Marillion albums

Misplaced Childhood is the reason that literally every person born after 1985 is called Kayleigh. Well not quite, but...

Wikipedia posted:

The song's popularity in the summer of 1985 was responsible for a significant rise in popularity of the name Kayleigh. In late 2005, 96% of Kayleighs living in the United Kingdom were born after 1985.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Snowy posted:

Well there's DJ scratch records that usually have about 100 short sounds on them. But those hardly count. There's also the Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh! 7" compilation series

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

eggsovereasy posted:

What problem?

Stupid Exclusive Re-Presses of Old Big Label Albums For High Prices On Arbitrary Days.

edit: thanks buddy VV

alg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Kevar posted:

Not making every day record store day!

RSD is kind of annoying because you'll always see every exclusive up on ebay by like noon. It plays into the ebay flipper "SUPER LIMITED EDITION OOP" culture. However, it's really beneficial to record stores because of the huge surge in sales. I'm not anti-RSD, it's just not really my thing.

I am a bit of a hypocrite though. I love having the rarest variant of an album. I'd just never go out of my way or spend a buttload of money to get it. I also have no intention of ever trying to sell any of my stuff. I just like to be one of the first people to preorder something from a band I like. It's all going to sound the same, so it doesn't actually matter.

This will be my first time not working in a record store during a Record Store Day since its inception, so I've been through them all and can add on a few downsides:

- Ordering this poo poo is a massive game. After the first few years of distributors slashing orders in half (sometimes less), stores would order more in hopes of getting half and end up with the full order after labels press up more due to false demand.

- It's a huge opportunity for (mostly major) labels to take advantage of stores who have bad buyers or who don't fully consider what they're getting themselves into. Some smaller stores go broke or take out loans to try and buy as much of this stock as possible, which becomes a problem when you realize that...

- No one wants half this poo poo; those that do will buy it that weekend and the rest of it will sit on your shelves as dead stock until you blow it out for cost on eBay (if you're lucky and there's even that much demand for it). What that means is that for stores that aren't smart about how they're ordering, you just took out a loan or spent a significant chunk of your stock budget on dead stock, none of which is returnable.

- 98% of it is overpriced garbage meant to cash in on what will be a fad for a lot of people buying it. We had tons of people bringing stuff back to trade in from previous Record Store Days months or years later when they got over their record collecting phase.

- Stores will send each other emails for weeks afterwards hoping to work up some trades. "Hey, we could really use a few more copies of [one of the three releases people gave a poo poo about that are usually long gone], attached is what we have copies left of to trade [all poo poo no one cares about]."

- Stores themselves scalp this poo poo on eBay, sometimes well ahead of time. Stores sign a agreement that they won't sell these items online for a specified period of time, but I'd wager most of them disregard it.

- Vinyl communities are overrun with people posting cameraphone pictures of the one-of-a-kind reissue gem or treasure they managed to snag at their local shop for $10 more than an original copy would have cost them.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too lovely or bitter, I'll just say that I'm incredibly thankful the whole record store employee part of my life is behind me.