Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ian where are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
I just read some stuff on the past page. Interesting stuff. I feel like I have been just bombarded with stuff, and there is no end to anything.

Okay. I am fine. Seriously though. I look forward to a day when I can be sitting on an island for a weekend because I feel good about the success of statpedia.

Wolfram charges after 2000 search queries from a third party website.

What is this stuff about Wget and how to I figure out how to implement this thing.

Trying to build image scanners to sift the internet, read data charts and tables, then add it to the search engine by allowing users to mark as spam.

Then I need to figure out how to contact this Nate Silver guy.

My email is ian@statpedia.com, which I check regularly for anyone.

Taking that algorithm and complexity something next quarter. Hope everyone is well.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Seriously have you never used gnu/linux and or google

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ian McLean posted:

hit him up on twitter, this is a partnership that needs to happen

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

RZApublican posted:

hit him up on twitter, this is a partnership that needs to happen

i'd say this is the Nate Ian should be tweeting.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I know Nate Silver and he is not interested in speaking with you

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

better nate than lever

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Sneaking Mission posted:

better nate than lever

Nate Is Levr

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ian McLean posted:

Nate Silver got his start with baseball statistics. That's a potential "in" for you, there.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Ian McLean posted:

Wolfram charges after 2000 search queries from a third party website.

Wolfram alpha sources its data from the original sources, so good luck replicating that with wget

pro tip: try curl instead!

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Ian nate is so focussed on politics, i think you could be the nate silver of everything, think of the opportunities

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
you could be nate platinum

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

Sneaking Mission posted:

better nate than lever

please trigger warning this poo poo

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Ian McLean posted:

What is this stuff about Wget and how to I figure out how to implement this thing.

oh god please let this mean that you don't know how to use wget to do something, not that you don't know what wget is or where to get it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Kickstarter's being sued.

quote:

3D Systems Corporation announced today that it has brought suit in the Federal District Court of South Carolina, Rock Hill division, against Formlabs, Inc. of Cambridge, Massachusetts and Kickstarter, Inc. of New York, New York. 3D Systems is seeking injunctive relief and damages for infringement of one of its patents relating to the stereolithography process.

3D Systems’ complaint asserts that the sale and use of the Form 1 3D printers sold by Formlabs and Kickstarter infringe a U.S. patent relating to stereolithography. Formlabs sold the Form 1 3D printers to backers of its Kickstarter campaign in September and October 2012.

”3D Systems invented and pioneered the 3D printing technology of stereolithography and has many active patents covering various aspects of the stereolithography process,” said Andrew Johnson, General Counsel of 3D Systems. “Although Formlabs has publicly stated that certain patents have expired, 3D Systems believes the Form 1 3D printer infringes at least one of our patents, and we intend to enforce our patent rights.”

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
sweet can't wait for the butthurt cries of the "information wants to be free" wankers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Best I can tell 3D printing is literally teenage girl dramatown right now because some dickslap decided he wanted to start printing AR15 lowers and 3D printer manufacturers as well as the ATF are rightfully a bit skittish

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the 2nd amendment is pretty clear on stereolithographical processes

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i'd be interested to see if they can really get away with suing kickstarter vs just formlabs. doesn't really make sense imo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol of course they can't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JawnV6 posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that quote from stratasys is basically

"these guys are making a little inexpensive desktop version of our $100,000 3d printers that don't share markets or compete in remotely the same area. however we're pissed that we didn't think of it first, so we're going to try and shut them down for, i dunno, violating a patent or something, that'll probably work"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Also why the gently caress would you only cure a laser point at a time instead of an entire cross section using a dlp projector. Formlabs deserve to be sued for being moron idiot shitlickers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well actually no the curing process is a function of time and uv intensity. if you divide up your laser energy across the whole build area with a dlp chip then the time required to cure each point individually goes way up. so you sit there with a static image for however many minutes vs. the laser point sweeping back and forth over the same period of time. the you could use a bigger laser but then you could also be sweeping it point by point much more quickly so it all kind of balances out, and not having the dlp chip is significantly cheaper

a further problem occurs if you do have that static image, because say someone comes by and bumps the printer? well the resin swirls a little bit and then settles but now you've decreased your effective resolution because of the additional slightly cured material around the fringes. doesn't happen with a point sweep where you're only working on one point at a time

moron idiot

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flyboi posted:

compare ouya to pebble

pebble already had a proof of concept
pebble already had a team of developers, engineers and the founders
pebble already has a manufacturer and have been keeping updates with the manufacturing process

even when poo poo's being made and there is physical evidence, pebble is still behind by half a month of the projected release date and who knows when it ships

wrap it up ouya you're dumb

compare ouya to the openpandora

the thing has been shipping for 3 years and still hasn't met all the preorders

meanwhile the ouya team is even less competent

ps im excited for openpandora to arrive in 2015

unironically a nice controller tbh

also its literally the bottom half of a pandora and made by the same people but a different company that actually follows through on orders

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Might unironically get one of those iControls if they're cheap enough

Or wait for the inevitable, identical Hong Kong knockoff

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PipeRifle posted:

Might unironically get one of those iControls if they're cheap enough

Or wait for the inevitable, identical Hong Kong knockoff

There's the iControlPad 1 already, which is basically the same minus the keyboard:
http://www.icontrolpad.com/order/

They're kinda pricy but on the other hand they actually work well, are durable etc and a bunch of ios and android devs have added explicit support for it to their games.

and in my experience the chinese knockoffs just tend to not work.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
lol the icontrolPad has, first faq Will it work with OUYA?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sports posted:

lol the icontrolPad has, first faq Will it work with OUYA?

and the answer to that is pretty much "it should but we have no idea since ouya stuff has never actually released"

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

First time I've ever unironically wished I'd seen a kickstarter before it ended. Oh well at least I got in on Shadowrun and wasteland2

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

well actually no the curing process is a function of time and uv intensity. if you divide up your laser energy across the whole build area with a dlp chip then the time required to cure each point individually goes way up. so you sit there with a static image for however many minutes vs. the laser point sweeping back and forth over the same period of time. the you could use a bigger laser but then you could also be sweeping it point by point much more quickly so it all kind of balances out, and not having the dlp chip is significantly cheaper

a further problem occurs if you do have that static image, because say someone comes by and bumps the printer? well the resin swirls a little bit and then settles but now you've decreased your effective resolution because of the additional slightly cured material around the fringes. doesn't happen with a point sweep where you're only working on one point at a time

moron idiot
if you use a dlp then you don't keep the laser as the light source, you get a big loving lamp that makes way more UV than some dumb laser.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Install Gentoo posted:

and the answer to that is pretty much "it should but we have no idea since ouya stuff has never actually released"

"well ouya will never exist so we're gonna be on the safe side and say yes"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

PipeRifle posted:

First time I've ever unironically wished I'd seen a kickstarter before it ended. Oh well at least I got in on Shadowrun and wasteland2

still don't have my pebble that was supposed to have shipped 2 months ago :o:

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
lol

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
looks like u got pebbled

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i hope my hexbright ships in december as the latest updates are saying. only 17 months after funding

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

peepsalot posted:

i hope my hexbright ships in december as the latest updates are saying. only 17 months after funding

an open source arduino compatible flashlight, that's...

huh

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Deacon of Delicious posted:

an open source arduino compatible flashlight, that's...

huh

i'm gonna program the poo poo out of that flashlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

peepsalot posted:

i'm gonna program the poo poo out of that flashlight

see if you can program it into a fleshlight because that's the only way you're getting laid

• Locked thread