Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tempo 119 posted:

We only ever seem to see the posters when Peter's around doing something crazy, I'm anticipating some kind of Doctor Who "Bad Wolf" time magic at the height of his powers, tying into what he said about making sure everyone knows how important she was. Anything much more mundane would really raise all these questions about how/why the resistance is hanging the things off skyscrapers and deep inside baldy territory. (Not that "TV show looking cool" would be a terrible answer or anything)

This is my current theory too. It seems strange that the Observers wouldn't crack down/show more aggression towards this outburst of rebelliousness the populace is displaying. Especially with that giant one on the side of the building.

Something is up and it all started with that attempt to collapse the wormhole into a black hole. Their apparent failure there (which may or may yet turn out to be false) led to Peter taking the tech into his head. That episode was also called "An Origin Story" so perhaps it's the origin of Peter becoming whatever he's turning into and where all these Etta Resist posters came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I figured the thing with the wormhole was that they just forgot how time travel worked. The black hole really did set back the Observers' plan for decades, but after they put everything back together again they dialled back to the 21st century and continued the delivery right back where they started.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Bolian Blues posted:

I figured the thing with the wormhole was that they just forgot how time travel worked. The black hole really did set back the Observers' plan for decades, but after they put everything back together again they dialled back to the 21st century and continued the delivery right back where they started.

Not only that, but the Observers who were literally observing the event at that moment could have written it down, which may have made that new information instantly available in the future. Perhaps when the future Observers read about what was going to happen they decided to send that particular package from a decoy universe.

Time travel is just a really ugly subject for discussion in general and I hope it never becomes possible for people to do that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bolian Blues posted:

They could have also sent all of the poo poo at once in the future, but it came through at different times in the past.

Anyway, I'm not liking this Peter Observer crap. Mostly because of all of the secrets and crap that Peter is keeping from Olivia, and Olivia is just sitting around looking concerned.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

They could have also sent all of the poo poo at once in the future, but it came through at different times in the past.

Anyway, I'm not liking this Peter Observer crap. Mostly because of all of the secrets and crap that Peter is keeping from Olivia, and Olivia is just sitting around looking concerned.

The secrets are over with now. Olivia knows and she will be more active to resolve the conflict and Peter seems to be incapable of keeping secrets once he goes full-observer.

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
The posters are to tell Peter to RESIST the Observer tech, or some poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FrensaGeran posted:

Fantastic episode with one exception: the scene where they all stand in the lab and give us the cliffnotes version of an episode they couldn't make because Leonard Nimoy couldn't/wouldn't do it. I understand why but it was a little confusing.

Why would Walter et al. trust William Bell post-him-trying-to-destroy-the-entire-universe-and-replace-it-with-lovely-cgi-batmonsters? Walter, do you remember when he basically forced you to shoot Olivia in the face? When his henchman shot Astro? Water under the bridge, eh?

And then apparently William Bell was deceiving them. SHOCKER.
They still didn't explain how Bell could be alive, which is something I hope they address.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

They still didn't explain how Bell could be alive, which is something I hope they address.

What do you mean? After Walter shot Olivia on the boat he rung his William Bell bell and he disappeared. Why couldn't he return later?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Never mind, I thought he died when the new universe collapsed, but I forgot about that part.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like this season of Fringe. It's changed quite a bit over the years and I can't say I'm as eager to watch it this season as the one's before, but it's still fun.

I am eagerly awaiting the return of soul magnets!

justcola fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 20, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

The secrets are over with now. Olivia knows and she will be more active to resolve the conflict and Peter seems to be incapable of keeping secrets once he goes full-observer.
Speaking of, I wonder how they're going to address fixing Peter. I doubt it's just that tiny implant that's giving him his Observer abilities. I'm guessing the implant produces and regulates some kind of nanotech that's overhauling Peter's body, and that they'll need to figure out how to turn it off before extracting it.

Also, does anyone else think that Peter is going to hunt down Windmark, only to have Windmark smirk and press a button that deactivates Peter's implant?

Edit: Man, what is the deal with Observers and roast beef?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Roast beef usually has lots of pepper in it (at least the lunch meat variety). They like lots of spice, so that's probably it.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Tupperwarez posted:

Speaking of, I wonder how they're going to address fixing Peter. I doubt it's just that tiny implant that's giving him his Observer abilities. I'm guessing the implant produces and regulates some kind of nanotech that's overhauling Peter's body, and that they'll need to figure out how to turn it off before extracting it.

Also, does anyone else think that Peter is going to hunt down Windmark, only to have Windmark smirk and press a button that deactivates Peter's implant?

Windmark is the Treasure Ship of douchecanoes so I would not put it past him.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Cojawfee posted:

Roast beef usually has lots of pepper in it (at least the lunch meat variety). They like lots of spice, so that's probably it.
The Observers in London must be fat as hell.

"We should resume assimilation of Sectors 4, 5, and 6."
"Or, we could assimilate some chicken tikka masala."
"You just had a vindaloo ten minutes ago."
". . . And?"

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I bought some Twizzler nib things. Kinda tasteless.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I felt sorry for my kids on Halloween whenever they got Red Vines from a house. Why not just turn your porch light off??

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

FrensaGeran posted:

Ohhh that's why the song sounded familiar. I'm young and stupid and didn't realize it was a cover.

Really? Did they do it anywhere other than Unplugged, where at the end Cobain literally says "That was a David Bowie Song"?

TerryCheesecake posted:

The posters are to tell Peter to RESIST the Observer tech, or some poo poo.

Ah, I like this idea. It's not telling the populace to resist, but telling Peter to.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

chesh posted:

Really? Did they do it anywhere other than Unplugged, where at the end Cobain literally says "That was a David Bowie Song"?

Or the electric version where it begins with "This is a David Bowie song." Really though, if you didn't know that was a Bowie song, you need to go get yourself some Bowie albums.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 20, 2012

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

fletcher posted:

Or the electric version where it begins with "This is a David Bowie song." Really though, if you didn't know that was a Bowie song, you need to go get yourself some Bowie albums.

I say get ALL the Bowie albums, but I'm the one freak who likes his work with Tin Machine.

Anyway, I'm just going to leave this here for our non-Bowie knowing friends, while we contemplate something more to the lyrics of "The Man Who Sold The World" and Fringe. Did Walter, Bell, or Peter sell the world? Who are we face to face with?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The one time it is beneficial to read YouTube comments, I didn't realize David Bowie's real name is David Robert Jones. Someone on Fringe really loves Bowie it would seem.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

calandryll posted:

The one time it is beneficial to read YouTube comments, I didn't realize David Bowie's real name is David Robert Jones. Someone on Fringe really loves Bowie it would seem.

Clearly, David Bowie has ties to ZFT, and someone should inspect his house for Amphilicite.

girlwithgloves
Jun 5, 2011

calandryll posted:

Wait til you find out who Thomas Jerome Newton really was. Though the book was better.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They really missed a good opportunity by not having Gene team up with Genie, her evil double from the other universe.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
BluRay Season 4 is on sale on Amazon for $17!

All the Bowie references in this show are awesome :D

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

girlwithgloves posted:

Wait til you find out who Thomas Jerome Newton really was. Though the book was better.

Haha wow, they really do love them some Bowie. Show can't end without a character named Jareth :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

calandryll posted:

Haha wow, they really do love them some Bowie. Show can't end without a character named Jareth :colbert:

Did you know that Etta has the power of voodo?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you know that Etta has the power of voodo?
Who do?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

You do

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Stop it.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Tupperwarez posted:

I prefer the idea of Peter becoming September.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
It's good seeing Fringe from the beginning. Season 1 marathon on Friday as well.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Remind me of the girl!!!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
How are we supposed to know what kind of magic spell to use, then? :mad:

The answer of course, is none. We use SCIENCE!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Stop what?

Polkergeist
Sep 2, 2011

SamBishop posted:

Stop what?

The what with the power.

...Wait, oops.

Mr. Snazz
Nov 15, 2003

If she'd 'ave kept on goin' down that way she'd 'ave gone straight to their pocket dimension. :smug:

edit: I think I'd be ok if Fringe ended like Labyrinth did. Young Peter wakes up in his bed, his fever having broken. He realizes it had all been a dream - notices the Observer action figure on his dresser, the toy cow, chemistry set, etc. and then the entire cast bursts in for a big musical number.

Mr. Snazz fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 22, 2012

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I have a theory about the Observers' motivations, based on the novel God Emperor of Dune.

In that book Leto, a prescient young man who has inherited control over all human worlds, has a vision that all mankind will one day be blindsided and completely wiped out by some unnamed horror lurking in deep space. He devotes his life and sacrifices his humanity on a plan to prepare humanity, by purposely oppressing them for thousands of years under his merciless totalitarian regime. The idea is that by rebelling against him humanity gains the strength it needs to survive any future threat. That, and once he finally dies everyone takes advantage of the first real freedom in millennia by scattering to the far reaches of the galaxy (ensuring that nothing can wipe them all out at once).

So maybe the Observers plan is similar; they want the humans to rebel against them to force them to progress and evolve? Maybe they want to ensure that the humans evolve into the Observers themselves?

Also:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
drat, they were hinting at Peter being from Universe B, slightly, in Episode 2 of S1. Or at least his "medical history".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are a few clues early on, like the conspicuous gaps in his memory and his conviction that his GI JOE had the scar on the other side of his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Jack Gladney posted:

his conviction that his GI JOE had the scar on the other side of his face.

I remember when I heard that I was ranting up and down how anyone should know the right side of the scar!!!

This show owns, I love it. Painful next three weeks.

• Locked thread