Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Say, how do laser heat sinks work? I don't seem to see actual rules for them anywhere, and outside of the flavor text that says they don't benefit from water immersion but somehow make ammo explosions less frequent there doesn't seem to be any crunchiness applied to that.

What's the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Page 317 of TacOps, dude. It's all there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So it is.

And now, rather than be a dick about it, I'll explain to people who don't have the book and shouldn't be required to buy one to play a forum game that a laser heat sink works like a regular Double Heat Sink except that you get a +1 on your ammo explosion rolls (making explosions less likely) but pay for that by losing the ability to increase the effectiveness of those heat sinks by going under water.

Also they reduce the to hit penalty of night conditions, but I don't think that's an issue in this scenario.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Friend or foe, all must be trolled by the :pcgaming:

The Jade Falcon player ought to record their falcon cry though, you guys could use the luck.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

So it is.

And now, rather than be a dick about it, I'll explain to people who don't have the book and shouldn't be required to buy one to play a forum game that a laser heat sink works like a regular Double Heat Sink except that you get a +1 on your ammo explosion rolls (making explosions less likely) but pay for that by losing the ability to increase the effectiveness of those heat sinks by going under water.

Also they reduce the to hit penalty of night conditions, but I don't think that's an issue in this scenario.

I don't remember which mech it was, but I remember reading about a mech that used laser heat sinks to create a pretty impressive headdress of light around itself. Must be a hell of a thing to be attacked by a walking roller-disco.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 22, 2012

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I recall a Timberwolf build that consisted of like 12 ER medium lasers and 1 ER large laser. I imagine if you stuffed a bunch of laser heat sinks into that you'd outright blind anything nearby you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rorac posted:

I recall a Timberwolf build that consisted of like 12 ER medium lasers and 1 ER large laser. I imagine if you stuffed a bunch of laser heat sinks into that you'd outright blind anything nearby you.

I'm like 99% sure that you can't change heat sink types in an Omni config. It was probably a Night Gyr, not a Mad Cat.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

jng2058 posted:

So it is.

Also irrelevant in this scenario, but don't laser heat sinks also have another advantage? I want to say that they work at full efficiency in deserts whereas normal ones do not.

As for the Partial Wing, I think all it does is increase your maximum jump jet range, as listed in the Cougar's movement profile. It's been a long time since I played MegaMek, and even then I didn't play much.

On another note, I think I'll finally get off the fence and ask to be added to the reserve list . I do have PMs available.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Lord Koth posted:

Also irrelevant in this scenario, but don't laser heat sinks also have another advantage? I want to say that they work at full efficiency in deserts whereas normal ones do not.

As for the Partial Wing, I think all it does is increase your maximum jump jet range, as listed in the Cougar's movement profile. It's been a long time since I played MegaMek, and even then I didn't play much.

On another note, I think I'll finally get off the fence and ask to be added to the reserve list . I do have PMs available.

If you're not always jumping at max distance with the Cougar, then you're an rear end in a top hat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Koth posted:

It also gives you another few heat dissipation. I think 2 or so.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

All things considered, this all just boils down to a singular fact.

You're a flying disco ball, get out there and dance the field away, preferably on the heads of the Davion mechs.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
What they're saying is Be Incandescent.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Lord Koth posted:

All things considered, this all just boils down to a singular fact.

You're a flying disco ball, get out there and dance the field away, preferably on the heads of the Davion mechs.

Should he also post every turn with 'required listening' music, to add to the atmosphere.

... What would be popular music in the 31st Century? Aside from bagpipes whenever the Northwinds are around.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Paingod556 posted:

Should he also post every turn with 'required listening' music, to add to the atmosphere.

Laser heat sinks require that it's always Bee Gees, all the time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TildeATH posted:

Pink Floyd you heathen

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Aww naw, look out y'all, it's the Bee Gees!

Y'all can call him the Magic Man. At the Magic School.

also, orders in: c'mon, hittin' on 11s you can do it Steve!

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm like 99% sure that you can't change heat sink types in an Omni config. It was probably a Night Gyr, not a Mad Cat.

Oh, it had standard double heat sinks. I was just musing on what it would be like if it DID have laser heat sinks.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

I literally cannot watch that video, holy poo poo. :stare: I don't have any problems with any other kind of flashing lights or rapid edits, but there's something about that video that makes it hard to watch for longer than a few seconds. Who thought that was a good idea?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Paingod556 posted:

... What would be popular music in the 31st Century? Aside from bagpipes whenever the Northwinds are around.

Disco will never die!

Orders sent.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Aww naw, look out y'all, it's the Bee Gees!

Y'all can call him the Magic Man. At the Magic School.

also, orders in: c'mon, hittin' on 11s you can do it Steve!

Indeed. Lend me a dragon, I wanna see space. As do we all.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paingod556 posted:

The music of choice amongst the death robot pilots from the Space 80's Future is AC/DC. No one can convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Zeroisanumber posted:

The music of choice amongst the death robot pilots from the Space 80's Future is AC/DC. No one can convince me otherwise. :colbert:

So... Long Way to the Top?

Acca Dacca and bagpipes, what else do you want. Other than flying laser disco balls.

EDIT- Hells Bells for the slow stompy death wagon that is an Assault Company.

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 22, 2012

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paingod556 posted:

So... Long Way to the Top?

Acca Dacca and bagpipes, what else do you want. Other than flying laser disco balls.

20-meter tall death robots can only be driven while listening to Highway to Hell.

Edit: And thank you to whomever brought back Korvat. PTN just isn't the same with a ponytar.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 22, 2012

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zeroisanumber posted:

20-meter tall death robots can only be driven while listening to Highway to Hell.

Thunderstruck for PPC mechs.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

bunnyofdoom posted:

Pink Floyd you heathen

RUSH, you insufferable little peasant.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PhotoKirk posted:

RUSH, you insufferable little peasant.

It's also the Space! 80's, so Rush is more appropriate.

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
For the first round I'd recommend Goodbye Blue Sky,
then Manowar's Violence and Bloodshed for maximum space 80's :black101:

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Orders in. Gotta hate short range weapons and being in the firing range, while they're not in yours.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This'll be a fun one to watch. If the goons win then hurrah for the players, and if they lose then glory to the Davions. It's a win-win.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The benefit of the Bee Gees is they have two settings: Tragedy and Immortality.

That's one more setting than PTN usually allows.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Bad Moon posted:

It's also the Space! 80's, so Rush is more appropriate.

There are Awesomes in the forest
There is trouble with the Valkyries
For the Archers want more sunlight
And the Warhammers ignore their pleas

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

The benefit of the Bee Gees is they have two settings: Tragedy and Immortality.

That's one more setting than PTN usually allows.

What about 'abject terror?' :colbert:

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't remember which mech it was, but I remember reading about a mech that used laser heat sinks to create a pretty impressive headdress of light around itself. Must be a hell of a thing to be attacked by a walking roller-disco.

I know it isn't, but I like to imagine that this laser-fro mech is the Huron Warrior:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

What about 'abject terror?' :colbert:

That's still just one setting. Maybe you should consider mixing it up a bit. Like adding some friendship and/or magic to the next mission...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

TildeATH posted:

That's still just one setting. Maybe you should consider mixing it up a bit. Like adding some friendship and/or magic to the next mission...

Well, technically we are having friendly competition with those Hell's Horses mechs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Boom! The power generator at the geothermal plant has magically exploded!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

fool_of_sound posted:

Boom! The power generator at the geothermal plant has magically exploded!

And tragically it caused the planet to Stackpole. The thread is never heard from again.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

TildeATH posted:

Dear Archon Kathestia

Today I learned the only bigger dicks than the CapComs are these Clans. Also, I gained further teachings on how to approach a disagreement diplomatically. With Gauss Rifle slugs to the opposing sides canopies.

Your faithful Marshall
Victor Kurita Davion Sparkle the Third, the Exalted Commander in Chief of the Combined Armies of the Draconis Suns and Protector of the Realm of... and it goes on like this for 3 pages.

Any incorrect everything is solely due to apathy. Lets get down to Squawking. Or... Whinnying? Is that what Hells Horses do?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Paingod556 posted:

Dear Archon Kathestia

Today I learned the only bigger dicks than the CapComs are these Clans. Also, I gained further teachings on how to approach a disagreement diplomatically. With Gauss Rifle slugs to the opposing sides canopies.

Your faithful Marshall
Victor Kurita Davion Sparkle the Third, the Exalted Commander in Chief of the Combined Armies of the Draconis Suns and Protector of the Realm of... and it goes on like this for 3 pages.

Any incorrect everything is solely due to apathy. Lets get down to Squawking. Or... Whinnying? Is that what Hells Horses do?

Crushing the other guys with well trained infantry and tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

landcollector posted:

Well, technically we are having friendly competition with those Hell's Horses mechs.

Wait a minute... Cooperation, horses, laser heat sinks.

Maybe we should rethink that avatar.

• Locked thread