Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Streaming on WiFi would be great too, like Tweetbot. Where the thread list just constantly updates while you're viewing it.

I'm trying not to implement any features that automatically poll the server too often. Twitter provides streaming APIs, which is what I imagine Tweetbot uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

Syncing favorites is a great idea.

I've thought about syncing settings before, but stopped because I figured people would want different settings on different devices. Looking through the current crop of settings, though, that seems pretty unlikely. And we can always have a "sync settings with iCloud" setting.

But would the "sync settings with iCloud" setting sync?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I'm trying not to implement any features that automatically poll the server too often. Twitter provides streaming APIs, which is what I imagine Tweetbot uses.

Fair enough. Would an option to auto refresh when leaving a thread be feasible? That's what I end up doing anyway so it'd be cool if it was seamless.

Edit: We need the cool new IOS 6 refresh animation as well :P

101 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 22, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Somewhat odd little bug:

Note the icons on the Tech Support Fort and Request thread. The thread icons appears on top of the "pinned" icon, instead of the other way around. This seems to be random (though statistically infrequent) per thread, per refresh.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Good find! It happens thanks to reusing table view cells, usually when you scroll down then back up. It's fixed in some new version, probably 1.9.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Just noticed an inconsistency with the back button when you're in a thread. in the AI thread the button stretches to fit the whole name, but with SH/SC it doesn't. Coupons and Deals also gets shortened despite being a shorter name than AI. I'd post pictures but I'm on my phone and it seems to hang up when trying currently.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Really not a fan of the new look, the grey background that shows through between posts is really jarring.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm going to lighten it a little, darken the dark theme bg, forums list is going back to 100% cells. Lots of tweaks going to be going down. With all the thread tags out of the way design duties aren't being split up so much so there's now more time to refine things, get rid of inconsistencies.

Curious though. You find the grey between posts jarring, did you find the big blue poster info bar jarring?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

Curious though. You find the grey between posts jarring, did you find the big blue poster info bar jarring?

I'd personally prefer if it was black with dark mode on but I don't mind the grey. It'd be great if the post window had a dark background in dark mode as well.

An Instapaper like sunset mode would be fantastic. Set your timezone and it's light during the day and goes to dark mode at night.

I had to use the Imgupr app to upload that photo as well. The built in uploader wouldn't open.

Sorry for the wall of text but this is my second most used app and I'd love to see it get even better.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
All of you that put time and effort into this deserve heaps of praise. It truly is a better experience browsing the forums with this app than through a mobile browser. Please understand that I recognize the effort put forth and I don't want any of the following to come across as a whiny complaint, or to sound like I think you owe the users of the app anything. I also get that some stuff I've come across is most likely on your list already and might have even been mentioned a dozen times in the thread too. I've skimmed back a couple pages but I'm still bound to have repeats.

pokeyman invited me in here after I posted that I missed Awful Betamax (Awful Android app) on my new iPhone, and that yes, I thought it was better than the iOS options. I didn't want to storm in here initially and complain about nitty gritty stuff that maybe I just didn't "get" yet, but I'll try and compile as many of the things that I've come across and maybe you guys can tell me what I'm missing, why things were done differently, etc. (Disclaimer: I'm about 50/50 on returning the iPhone tomorrow for a myriad of other reasons, so I have a suspicion my issues may be more deeply rooted than just this app)

- One of the most immediate things that strikes me is the visual options. There's a "Dark" theme, which is good, but its only in thread view. Back out of a thread and everything's light again. This is jarring for night time reading. The themes should apply a consistent look to the entire app if possible. Options for full color customization would be awesome, but I get that that is probably a bigger undertaking. - fake edit: as I type this, I see The Dave address theme work being tweaked.

- Along with the colors, font size options would be stellar. The Retina display makes everything crisp and clear, but its still a little small for me personally.

- Is there any kind of auto reload after a set length of time away from the app? I haven't noticed, but maybe I've missed it. If I come back to the app after leaving it in a subforum or thread and its been more than 5 minutes or so, I'd really like it to refresh automatically (more so in the thread listing than in threads themselves). Same deal if I tap the "Bookmarks" tab after browsing from the "Forums" tab for a while.

- Why can't I tell the app to load all previously read posts on a page automatically?

- Why on earth are the forum ads at the bottom of the page included? Why isn't there an option to turn them off?

- Why does tapping a username in a quoted post open the post in Safari and not in the app? Beyond that, it doesn't even successfully open the post. I get a 404 error.

- I frequently run into a problem where tapping a thread just hangs and eventually times out. I can tap it again while its thinking and it'll usually load the thread, but the original request keeps working and pops up the ever popular modal alert when it times out and I'm already reading the thread in question. These actions can apparently be stacked, as I've managed to get 2-3 modal alerts in a row pop up for one thread by tapping it multiple times.

- Is it possible to add some kind of page indicator or something for thread listings? I can see the appeal in just loading the next page worth of threads in a subforum when you scroll to the bottom (rather than a "next page" button that removes the first page of threads and shows the second page), but even just an obvious thicker line between the first and second page of threads would be a good thing to show where you are in the listing.

- Is PM support in the cards?

This covers most of what I've come across that confused/irked me so far. As I mentioned above, I'm coming to the realization that iOS might just be a bad choice for me. That being said, a genuine thanks for calling me out in the other thread and I hope my comments are helpful somehow. :)

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 22, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I can't answer everything, but here's a couple things I can respond to.

sirbeefalot posted:

- Is there any kind of auto reload after a set length of time away from the app? I haven't noticed, but maybe I've missed it. If I come back to the app after leaving it in a subforum or thread and its been more than 5 minutes or so, I'd really like it to refresh automatically (more so in the thread listing than in threads themselves). Same deal if I tap the "Bookmarks" tab after browsing from the "Forums" tab for a while.

I have no idea why, but this got dropped from the app somewhere along the way and is very annoying, but it's back in the version that's currently in development/beta testing.

quote:

Why on earth are the forum ads at the bottom of the page included? Why isn't there an option to turn them off?

If my memory serves me correctly, the very first version of the app didn't have the ads, and Ohio (the original developer) was told by an admin (I don't know who specifically) to include them. This was a few years ago, so I might be remembering wrong though.

quote:

Beyond that, it doesn't even successfully open the post. I get a 404 error.

Pokeyman accidentally submitted an earlier build of the current version to the App Store and didn't realize until after it was approved. He's since submitted the REAL build, and it's currently waiting for review. I'm pretty sure this bug will be fixed in the final version.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

sirbeefalot posted:

- Why on earth are the forum ads at the bottom of the page included? Why isn't there an option to turn them off?

Did you pay for no-ads or something?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They go away if you have the no-ads option bought.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I want to throw in my absolute praise of this app. I do most of my computing via my iPhone and the forums are spectacular and easy to read.

I just got an iPad mini and I really enjoy the iPad version. I've noticed a few quirks on the mini which I am sure is a result of the smaller screen size.

The "page forward" "page back" buttons and "next page" at the bottom of a thread are fairly hard to hit. I had to buy no-ads just so i could hit the next page button. I don't know if you can introduce an iPad mini version of the app (or have a mini mode) that has bigger buttons so I was thinking you could add in a swipe left/right to go forward and back similar to how iBooks and the kindle app do it. I know that swipe left opens the bookmarks/forum list so maybe you could have it as an option.

Thanks again for making an amazing app!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

I want to throw in my absolute praise of this app. I do most of my computing via my iPhone and the forums are spectacular and easy to read.

I just got an iPad mini and I really enjoy the iPad version. I've noticed a few quirks on the mini which I am sure is a result of the smaller screen size.

The "page forward" "page back" buttons and "next page" at the bottom of a thread are fairly hard to hit. I had to buy no-ads just so i could hit the next page button. I don't know if you can introduce an iPad mini version of the app (or have a mini mode) that has bigger buttons so I was thinking you could add in a swipe left/right to go forward and back similar to how iBooks and the kindle app do it. I know that swipe left opens the bookmarks/forum list so maybe you could have it as an option.

Thanks again for making an amazing app!

In the future versions you will be able to pull up to go to the next page / refresh. Pull down to go to the previous thread could work or could cause a lot of mis-fires, I think it would have to be tested.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

They go away if you have the no-ads option bought.

Good to know! I haven't bought no ads yet.

VV Yeah, I understand the differences in app submission between the two stores, and that does suck that it compounds little goofs like that.

Thanks for the responses.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 22, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well firstly, seems like a lot of what you posted were bugs which is a good thing. You've joined the Awful iPhone app at a transitional time so things are a little shaky at the moment but the app is headed in a great direction.

Another thing that sucks is pokeyman can't just link to a new app like the android folk get to do with .apk files. It's taking 2-3 weeks to get an app update pushed through the app store. That really sucks when a small bug gets left in by accident and we're all just waiting around for apple. That's a situation we're currently in where the wrong version of the app was put up by accident and pokeman pushed the right one but we're waiting for the apple approval all over again.

sirbeefalot posted:

- One of the most immediate things that strikes me is the visual options. There's a "Dark" theme, which is good, but its only in thread view. Back out of a thread and everything's light again. This is jarring for night time reading. The themes should apply a consistent look to the entire app if possible. Options for full color customization would be awesome, but I get that that is probably a bigger undertaking. - fake edit: as I type this, I see The Dave address theme work being tweaked.

This has been one big thing I've been bothered with for awhile, and I don't even use the dark theme. I think it's not as easy as it can be because of the way the thread lists is called, but it's really not my place to say because I don't know what I'm talking about. It's definitely on the to-do list, I hope it could get in the next version if not, then definitely for 2.0. I'll do what I can on my end but we have to make sure not to kill pokeyman.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The Dave posted:

In the future versions you will be able to pull up to go to the next page / refresh. Pull down to go to the previous thread could work or could cause a lot of mis-fires, I think it would have to be tested.

Thanks Dave. I think that would definitely work. As for the "pull down" I don't know if you want to do that since pull down is refresh in the rest of iOS but I know I have tried to pull down before to get to previous posts/. I'm assuming that's what you meant instead of previous thread.

Sometimes I can see wanting to go back/forward many times in a row and the buttons on the bottom might be ok for those specific instances.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

Thanks Dave. I think that would definitely work. As for the "pull down" I don't know if you want to do that since pull down is refresh in the rest of iOS but I know I have tried to pull down before to get to previous posts/. I'm assuming that's what you meant instead of previous thread.

Sometimes I can see wanting to go back/forward many times in a row and the buttons on the bottom might be ok for those specific instances.

You're right with that correction and I share the same skepticism about making that gesture for previous page.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
I love the way that the Pinterest app works on the iPhone and would love to see something like that.

Basically, when you're scrolling down, the interface bars disappear so you can have a full screen for content. If you scroll up a little, the interface comes back. Swiping to the right takes you the the previous page that you were on, whatever page that might have been.

Still, aside from my previous comments about the in app browser, it's a great app and I use it all the time. Thank you to everybody that's worked on it.

step aside fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 22, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How in the world do I delete bookmarks on my iPad???

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You should be able to swipe the bookmark cell to reveal the red remove button.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Edit, red circle, delete?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Where did the refresh button when in a thread go? Is that no longer possible?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Dave posted:

You should be able to swipe the bookmark cell to reveal the red remove button.

Ah you have to swipe from a lot further to the right than I expected. Also it doesn't seem to work if there's no unread post count bubble.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

nerve posted:

Where did the refresh button when in a thread go? Is that no longer possible?

It will be in the version submitted and currently under approval. It was supposed to be in but the wrong version of the app was submitted and now we're in the never-ending vortex of the Apple approval process.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

For everybody asking about dark mode - what's wrong with the 'high contrast' mode built into the phone? I have triple-tap on the home button set to activate it and it's basically a super convenient dark mode that works across the entire phone.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TACD posted:

For everybody asking about dark mode - what's wrong with the 'high contrast' mode built into the phone? I have triple-tap on the home button set to activate it and it's basically a super convenient dark mode that works across the entire phone.
That's what I do too and the only drawback is pictures are also inverted.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

The Dave posted:

It will be in the version submitted and currently under approval. It was supposed to be in but the wrong version of the app was submitted and now we're in the never-ending vortex of the Apple approval process.
Ah cool, thanks/sorry for not reading back a bit

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Just like to share a feature I just found, not sure how old it is. If you click and hold on a thread title, a menu comes up allowing you to jump to the first post, or mark the thread as unread.

Sometimes when I open a thread I haven't read it jumps to either page 2 or a random number near the end (eg 423 of 438).

Finding this feature has been pretty handy for me! (Often I want to read the OP)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks for the notes. I think others have covered most of it, and the rest is on the list now if it wasn't already. This one though:

quote:

- Is it possible to add some kind of page indicator or something for thread listings? ... even just an obvious thicker line between the first and second page of threads would be a good thing to show where you are in the listing.

I don't understand. Why do you want to know where page 1 of a list of threads and page 2 begins?

(I'm not saying there's no reason, I just genuinely can't think of one.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Ah you have to swipe from a lot further to the right than I expected. Also it doesn't seem to work if there's no unread post count bubble.

Great catch, I'll fix that in 1.9.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

the_lion posted:

Sometimes when I open a thread I haven't read it jumps to either page 2 or a random number near the end (eg 423 of 438).

Can you clarify when you experience this random page jump? Is it when you tap on a thread you've never read? Not when using one of the "go to first page" or "go to last page" buttons.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

I don't understand. Why do you want to know where page 1 of a list of threads and page 2 begins?

(I'm not saying there's no reason, I just genuinely can't think of one.)

The current thread list view implementation is kind of an odd design choice from my perspective because the pages paradigm from the site is maintained within individual threads in Awful, but not in the thread listings. Adding something like a bit thicker line between "pages" in the endless-scroll thread listing would, I think, be a nice little frame of reference when scrolling through 60-90 threads.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

pokeyman posted:

Can you clarify when you experience this random page jump? Is it when you tap on a thread you've never read? Not when using one of the "go to first page" or "go to last page" buttons.

Yeah, generally it's when I open a thread in my bookmarks-just jumps to a random page. It's only a minor inconvenience really now that I can use the feature to jump to the first/last page.

Spartehcus
Sep 18, 2007
I'm Spartehcus!
Is there anyway to make it so all of the text is aligned correctly on the left side when reading threads? Right now the text seems to wrap around the avatar/username.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah we should take another look at the iPad layout. There's some thoughts on floating the avatar to the right, on justification and hyphenation, and in general it still doesn't feel quite right.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A very minor thing but I really like the animation when you refresh bookmarks. I have to really commend you guys on the hard work you've put in, and I really look forward to the next versions to get approved by Apple!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I just got 1.8.1 and I'm so glad to have refresh back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

god this blows posted:

I just got 1.8.1 and I'm so glad to have refresh back!

• Locked thread