Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So... My Pro Controller order from Amazon just got delayed with an estimate of December 19th. The hell? Anybody else order from amazon and not get their pro controller shipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Speaking of Sonic Racing, have you seen the Wreck-It Ralph trailer?
Apparently, Sega could only get Fat Albert to voice Ralph.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
My Wii U doesn't want to connect to my WiFi anymore. It's really weird, as the error I get is "No WiFi network detected" when I connect to it after it scans for WiFi networks. Why did this work the first time then? :argh:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Perfect" in the context of this conversation is about authentically replicating the performance of the original hardware, and not about sheer performance or feature-adding or even how well the games run, which is not necessarily the same thing.

Yeah, this is huge in some games. Far East of Eden Zero, a JRPG never released in English and not yet translated, uses a graphics compression method via a on-cart chip called the SPC7110 that no emulator knew how to handle. One game hack was to export the graphics into their own files that an emulator would load and use when opening the game. Eventually the compression was cracked and emulators would be able to open and expand the graphics for use in game without any awkward hacks.

Another game, Der Langrissier 4, a tactical RPG that was released a few years back, would eventually crash on most emulators because their emulation of the SNES' sound chip (SPC-700 APU) weren't sufficient for the game. Blargg wrote the current APU emulator used in bSNES and other emulators that can play DL4 without crashing. Hell how about way back when you could play FF6/Chrono Trigger on emulators and every time the wind sound effect would play it sounded like absolute rear end?

Sorry for continuing this derail, just wanted to give some actual examples of technological barriers that existed for SNES emulation.

Lblitzer posted:

So I just bought one of these on a whim, but really it looks amazing. Scoured ebay to see how much people were flipping them and honestly I'm surprised I'm not seeing anything above $500, it must not be as popular as the Wii?

I've seen kijiji ads trying to flip Deluxes for $500-$1000 earlier in the week although right now it looks like the high price onces have thinned out, hopefully because nobody in their right mind would pay a $300+ markup for the cradle, game, and a bit of wiiubux.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I know someone linked the bsnes guy before, but they didn't link the the most interesting article, basically explaining why accuracy matters, with examples.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is Nintendoland worth picking up if I don't really have anyone to play it with (:smith:)? I want to get rid of some old games and am feeling lazy so I'm gonna truck the lot to Gamestop and see what I can get.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Stealthed Zombie posted:

My Wii U doesn't want to connect to my WiFi anymore. It's really weird, as the error I get is "No WiFi network detected" when I connect to it after it scans for WiFi networks. Why did this work the first time then? :argh:

Try resetting your router, that stuff usually works for me. My connection for the 3DS randomly refused to work today too, I still don't know what I did to fix it though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ciaphas posted:

Is Nintendoland worth picking up if I don't really have anyone to play it with (:smith:)? I want to get rid of some old games and am feeling lazy so I'm gonna truck the lot to Gamestop and see what I can get.

Not really, sorry. There's a few one player games but the real meat of Nintendoland are the excellent party games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That's okay, it's why I asked. Not sure what else I can get for the system besides Mario U and Zombi U, I was thinking Assassin's Creed 3 if only for the multiplayer, but that's out on PC and that's my preferred platform. :(

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Try entering the info in manually.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

After registering my Wii U and Mario U I am only 40 points away from Club Nintendo Platinum for the second year in a row.

:getin:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Amazon went live because it has a community on Miiverse now and downloaded an update, but all I get is a rotating circle.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Should I go for the NintendoLand or the Zombi U bundle?
NintendoLand looks fun and I usually don't like horror games, but I doubt if I'd ever actually get a chance to play with someone else.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

horriblePencilist posted:

Should I go for the NintendoLand or the Zombi U bundle?
NintendoLand looks fun and I usually don't like horror games, but I doubt if I'd ever actually get a chance to play with someone else.

If you don't like horror games the answer's easy isn't it?
Half on the Nintendoland games are single player only. There's plenty there.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

greatn posted:

I think Amazon went live because it has a community on Miiverse now and downloaded an update, but all I get is a rotating circle.
Give it some time or restart the console cause it's downloading fine for me. They're getting these other video apps up pretty quick instead of the "coming weeks" like they mentioned.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
I fixed it. I had to pretend to set up a second connection, and let that fail, and then connect to the good connection and it worked.

And then I played Zombi U and lost my initial survivor during that early Safe House Protection segment (Like an hour in). And then the second. And third.

SO MANY ZOMBIES.

But then the fourth guy cleared it up and went on a quick pickup run and got some Molotovs and flares and snacks. I think he's ready to move on.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I fixed it. I had to pretend to set up a second connection, and let that fail, and then connect to the good connection and it worked.

And then I played Zombi U and lost my initial survivor during that early Safe House Protection segment (Like an hour in). And then the second. And third.

SO MANY ZOMBIES.

But then the fourth guy cleared it up and went on a quick pickup run and got some Molotovs and flares and snacks. I think he's ready to move on.

That defense segment is a bitch. On the bright side, dying at that point is more a wound to your pride than anything since there is jack poo poo for equipment up to that point anyway.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Underwhelmed posted:

That defense segment is a bitch. On the bright side, dying at that point is more a wound to your pride than anything since there is jack poo poo for equipment up to that point anyway.

I had two mines and like 20 bullets and three medkits :(

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Sonic Racing really is hard... I can't even beat the first race on medium. :(

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Is anyone making a travel case for the U yet? Ideally one I could run the system directly out of. It gets to be a messy pain in the rear end with the two external power supplies, gamepad, sensor, and a pile of nunchucks.

If nothing pops up soon I figure I could always use a DJ mixer case.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

I can't stay away from Miiverse. What a great idea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
After Amazon loaded the first time it loaded quickly from then on. This interface blows Xbox's away, especially the search. Also you can buy stuff through it a lot easier, which I'll have to be careful of.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've never really been a Nintendo kid but last night I went to my friend's and he had the Wii U. Having no real prior knowledge of it, I was blown away by everything. And that Miiverse thing is wonderful. If I played console games as much as I used to I'd consider picking that one up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Managed to get a deluxe from Frys. Only could get it in a bundle, but the bundle was NSMBU and ZombiiU, (though I am lukewarm about the later. Are the reviews wrong?), so it wasn't a big deal to need to buy it. They did have a Sonic one, but after hearing about the glitch currently in it, I opted out.

So...now I wait and hope the power doesn't go out. While I am here, is the WiiUs CPU really that bad? And will it be that much of a bottleneck?

Edit: the gyro kicks the game pad screen out of sleep/dimming. Nice touch!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 22, 2012

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

Unlucky7 posted:

They did have a Sonic one, but after hearing about the glitch currently in it, I opted out.

Don't let this stop you. The game is pretty great, and Sega is aware of the issue and they are working on a patch. Seeing as how this console will actually allow for patches, it should be fixed relatively soon.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Don't let this stop you. The game is pretty great, and Sega is aware of the issue and they are working on a patch. Seeing as how this console will actually allow for patches, it should be fixed relatively soon.

Also, if you lose on easy three times it lets you skip the race. Thus doesn't ruin the game because you'll need to play it on hard later anyway.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I had two mines and like 20 bullets and three medkits :(

drat. I think I had 8 bullets and a few Sodas. Either I missed everything or else there is a lot of randomization to loot.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Don't get me wrong, I am interested. I just want to wait till the patch.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Should have opted to let the patch download in the background instead of patching stright away. Download is going pretty slow.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rawrbomb posted:

Should have opted to let the patch download in the background instead of patching stright away. Download is going pretty slow.

No idea what your Internet connection is like but it took an hour and a half for me. I guess some people had some ridiculous loading times on launch day but that's it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

From what I gather it's the day-one patch that broke the checkpoint, isn't it?

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From what I gather it's the day-one patch that broke the checkpoint, isn't it?

I'm actually not sure about that. I think that's what I've heard.

King
Jun 28, 2006
Not Kong

Unlucky7 posted:

So...now I wait and hope the power doesn't go out. While I am here, is the WiiUs CPU really that bad? And will it be that much of a bottleneck?

No.

quote:

Edit: the gyro kicks the game pad screen out of sleep/dimming. Nice touch!

I don't think it does? Maybe you accidentally hit the triggers when you laid it down.

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010
Managed to snag a deluxe on Monday with NSMB (which is weird, considering it looked nearly impossible to find one anywhere in Calgary on Sunday). I seem to be playing through Mario pretty quickly, so I'm thinking of picking up another game this weekend. Are AC3 or Darksiders worth considering at all, given that I haven't played any of the previous titles? (I know, late to the party...)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Crumbles posted:

Managed to snag a deluxe on Monday with NSMB (which is weird, considering it looked nearly impossible to find one anywhere in Calgary on Sunday). I seem to be playing through Mario pretty quickly, so I'm thinking of picking up another game this weekend. Are AC3 or Darksiders worth considering at all, given that I haven't played any of the previous titles? (I know, late to the party...)

Darksiders II owns. It's like Zelda meets Diablo and it's really fun and looks gorgeous and runs great.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

tehk posted:

Is anyone making a travel case for the U yet? Ideally one I could run the system directly out of. It gets to be a messy pain in the rear end with the two external power supplies, gamepad, sensor, and a pile of nunchucks.

If nothing pops up soon I figure I could always use a DJ mixer case.

This sounds pretty awesome. Makes me sad I live in the countryside. Also, lack of NSMBU online is devastating to my happiness.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

No idea what your Internet connection is like but it took an hour and a half for me. I guess some people had some ridiculous loading times on launch day but that's it.

30/5, so unless it was HUUUUGE, I doubt it was me. My wireless traffic didn't pickup much. Took about 40~ min.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

So Nintendo tweeted that all the video streaming services are up (looks like YT just went live a little while ago) but I haven't gotten the update for YT yet.

And from Miiverse they're saying it's similar to the PS3 app so yeah. Probably better off with the browser.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel like an idiot, a few pages ago someone posted a trick to stop the Nintendo Land freezing, did I imagine this? If I didn't can someone repost it or add it to the OP? Nintendo Land is unplayable for me but ZombiU, Mario and Tekken all work perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The trick was to manually set the language to English, I think.

• Locked thread