Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I played Dave Mirra 1 when I was 10 and it was terrible, so I traded it in and got Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX instead, and looking at the state of Dave Mirra 2, I absolutely feel like I made the right choice. It looks awful.

Can't wait to see you struggle through this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Some of those tilt angles look beyond the ability of the human body to sustain.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

quote:

7 new posts

I made the right choice :getin:

Well, I'll play Dave Mirra 2 to the end, even if hopes really don't get raised from here on out. I've recorded the first three levels, but I've been getting a bit better at the game so maybe my gameplay itself will become cooler.

Houle posted:

The level size vs. your speed seem to make that time limit really limiting more so than strategy inducing. Whereas in other games with a time limit it may make you look for a particular line or shortcuts in the level...it seems to punish you for exploring the level outright and just stay in the main half pipe.

Well, the challenges themselves make you get out of the main half pipe. Though, if you watch the first video again, I never had to use the two buildings I opened up through completing the challenges. They both have one gap in them each, but there's so much stuff with pretty much the minimum amount of important things in them (usually 1 person or gap). The next level, Trainyard, is even worse in having too much unused open space. It's not hard getting around the level, but the levels really could have been cut down by just removing empty areas and bringing parts of the level closer together.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 9, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
And here's a quick supercharged second update to push things along!

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 Level 2: Trainyards

Text Link

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did the game seriously respawn you in a place where you were immediately unstable and fell over?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Did the game seriously respawn you in a place where you were immediately unstable and fell over?

Multiple times. Then again, most of those were because there was an oncoming train, and the game I guess didn't take that into account (then again once or twice it just does it like that anyways).

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Hey, it's a Sunday update since I can't really update tomorrow or Tuesday. This time, we do some swamp riding. Nothing too bad in this level here.

Dave Mirra 2 Level 3: Swamp trails

Text Link

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The music selection for this game is so much more weird than some the other games. Though it is a relief that it includes more than just current songs. One of my biggest complaints about THPS2 was just how plainly bad the soundtrack was compare to the less obtrusive THPS1, which actually had a catchy song or two.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to laugh a bit. The best way to pull off the insane trick is to abuse the game's physics to grind uphill.

...I suppose if the physics are going to abuse you, the reverse is only fair.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

I have to laugh a bit. The best way to pull off the insane trick is to abuse the game's physics to grind uphill.

...I suppose if the physics are going to abuse you, the reverse is only fair.

After trying that challenge some more, the way you're supposed to wallride is to start the wallride pretty much right after you jump. Then you'll have enough height to jump up onto the roof. And if you don't make it, if you hit the room with your body and fall off the bike, hold triangle and your guy will hang on to the roof. Still, I didn't get wallriding down until I'd gone through the last level, and it still doesn't work sometimes.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Sorry for the late update. Anyways, you guys are once again going to have to decide whether I killed someone or not, because blanktester still won't shut up about it.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 Level 4: Commercial District

Text Link

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Don't worry, Ovues, you did not kill that man. You were standing perfectly still when he ran into you. He killed himself. He just used you as the instrument of his death.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated
You now have the ingredients for some creepypasta. Write up some story about how you accidentally crashed into Dave Mirra in the game, and he didn't respawn. And then one-by-one, all the other riders die off too, until you're alone in the game. And then end it with how you've dusted off your old BMX bike and are going to go out riding, with no follow-up.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Eh, I've done worse.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
So, a truck was driving over the cop car in one of your early objectives.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Enilev posted:

You now have the ingredients for some creepypasta. Write up some story about how you accidentally crashed into Dave Mirra in the game, and he didn't respawn. And then one-by-one, all the other riders die off too, until you're alone in the game. And then end it with how you've dusted off your old BMX bike and are going to go out riding, with no follow-up.

But now if I do it you'll know I steal all my ideas from other people. Ugh, why can't I think of things before people get me to think about them!

And yeah about the cop car, I noticed that but didn't really get to bring it up in the video. Sorry if this episode was kind of crap, nothing about the level stood out. My failures weren't even funny, unlike later levels where I get mowed down by pretty much everything. The next episode is better, I promise. It's a water park. Who else but blanktester doesn't love those?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that they highlight the trick targets. That's useful.

But is it just me or is it impossible to break some of those awnings and land cleanly?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

I like that they highlight the trick targets. That's useful.

But is it just me or is it impossible to break some of those awnings and land cleanly?

The two that I kept crashing on do have a small section of them hanging over the outside quarterpipes. It's just that I went to the side to make sure I hit them, which caused me to fall on my face.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
On this episode of Dave Mirra 2, we play in an empty water park, as well as discuss my tragic backstory, my (potential) web site, and learn Insetik's laws so if we bring them up again you guys will know what we're talking about.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 Level 5: Galloon Water Park

Text Link

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Is that with a C or K? One side of my extended family might have the same last name.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Major_JF posted:

Is that with a C or K? One side of my extended family might have the same last name.

About my actual last name? It's with a K. I don't think you know me, it's kind of common among economics and particle physics people (poo poo, those are my two favorite subjects!)

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, it basically is the smith of Germany.

About the game: It is a weird mix of how they have the goals. It does seem that you could use 2 or 3 runs just trying to find the goals if you don't have a guide.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it me, or was the insane challenge in that park significantly easier from the insane challenge in the first map?

Justiciable
Aug 23, 2012
Shaun Palmer just exploded the biggest nostalgia bomb on me. I haven't seen that boxart in...ten years or so. This is a truly beautiful day thanks to you :911:

Disappointed that you didn't go with shirtless Palmer in Donner Ranch, though :cheeky: Nothing like Powerman 5000 and Static X while screaming down a slope.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Is it me, or was the insane challenge in that park significantly easier from the insane challenge in the first map?

The whole lever was much easier than the ones the came before it. Maybe the hardest one, barring the lantern challenge that I kept messing up, is doing a 900, because you'll need good spinning by this point in the game. Overall, the game does get more difficult (AKA bullshit challenges show up earlier and earlier in the levels) but due to the game's bad physics, individual levels can have roller coasters of difficulty.

Justiciable posted:

Shaun Palmer just exploded the biggest nostalgia bomb on me. I haven't seen that boxart in...ten years or so. This is a truly beautiful day thanks to you :911:

Disappointed that you didn't go with shirtless Palmer in Donner Ranch, though :cheeky: Nothing like Powerman 5000 and Static X while screaming down a slope.

I have a strange habit of not picking the "most important person" from any of these person-name games. Screw Palmer and Mirra, it's Czeschin and Moliterno for me. I also only remember presidents like Zachary Taylor and James K. Polk because I noticed no one else remembered them, so yeah... Glad you like the videos. :)

Your comment got me to rewatch one of the Shaun Palmer vids and guys I'm so sorry I was an autistic robot back then. Maybe the final game in this could be blanktester and I redoing Shaun Palmer. It would be the New Evil Dead of LPs.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 20, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Hey, guess what? I CAN MAKE .GIFS NOW!

That about sums it up for this episode of Dave Mirra 2, the Highway 47 cloverleaf.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 Level 6: Highway 47 Cloverleaf

Text Link

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
I just wanted to say, it's been neat watching you guys become progressively more comfortable with LPing over the course of this thread. I'm glad you settled on the the two-person commenting team that you have instead of going solo or having random guest commentators every video. I think it helps a lot in a game like this where there's not enough to say about the game to fill 15 minutes every time--the back-and-forth between you guys keeps the videos from getting boring.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Thanks for the kind words! I'm still trying to fix a few things (like using "like" way too much, and the mic volume needs a bunch of correction each vid) but pretty soon I'll be able to ditch this crap and move on to the big leagues! Join me after this as I LP Pokemon, then Bioshock, then Super Mario 64, then Battletoads, then Dark Souls, then Starcraft, then Portal...

Just kidding, I blew all my money on extreme sports games. I'll give some hints to the next game when I post the last Dave Mirra 2 update. It's a racing reprieve after doing two objective games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I asked around and borrowed a copy of this game and honestly its worse than you make it out to be. also vI believe there is a skateboarding game that has a cheat for FP mode but I'm not sure.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Hel posted:

I asked around and borrowed a copy of this game and honestly its worse than you make it out to be. also vI believe there is a skateboarding game that has a cheat for FP mode but I'm not sure.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 has it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLp9CUncQQY

Sorry for the terrible quality, I couldn't find anything better unfortunately.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX 2 Level 7: Devil's Peak

Text Link

If you guys are interested in some of the stuff we talked about at the end of the video, and want to see some examples, I found some videos that really show them off.

Flatland BMX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWJqUKGFdiE
Race*pffft*walking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2urNVmKnEaQ

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, grinding on tracks with a mine car coming at/up behind you is definitely worthy of the title "insane".

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm sure I posted this before but all the Freestyle stuff is in Matt Hoffman 2

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I'm sure I posted this before but all the Freestyle stuff is in Matt Hoffman 2

And in BMX XXX. sigh.

(I know what you're thinking, and the answer still is "maybe")

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGDoX8zzEiQ&t=386s
Also here's his Race Walking game: http://www.videlectrix.com/racewalk.html

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Someone who's been following my videos actually interviewed one of the Z-Axis designers after Aggressive Inline was released. It's mostly about Aggressive Inline, and it does go into detail about that game if you absolutely loved it. Not much about the current game, but still interesting.

Interview with Wesley Leviton: http://pastebin.com/MBfY05ZK

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Your 2-3 week-long nightmare of Dave Mirra 2 is almost over. Make sure to stay to the end with this video, I worked hard on the final bit. Also, does anyone know a better way to make gifs with GIMP? The "import as layers" doesn't work on video like in Photoshop, so I need to save every frame (usually every 2 because I'm lazy) as a picture and import them all then. Anyways, enjoy the video.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 Level 8: Airport Garage

Text Link

P.S. If anyone can guess my old merqurycity account name you... uhh... uhhhhhhh.......

I need to find good participation rewards, and fast.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 28, 2012

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Hah, the bomb diffusing. This game was released a month before 9/11 :cripes:

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

LP Geist next. Person riding is totally an extreme sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Emissary666 posted:

LP Geist next. Person riding is totally an extreme sport.

There actually was a Geist LP some time back, but it died due to (I think) equipment issues. If you guys ever run out of extreme sports games to play (hah!) I'd be down for a Geist LP.

• Locked thread