Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

whaam posted:

How am I supposed to shoot a variety of landscapes when the only thing around me is loving rocks. :negative:

What I wouldn't give for rocks like that. The (landlocked) northeast is so drat boring, especially after the fall foliage is gone. Woo, dead trees and bleak landscapes for six months.

That 70s Shirt posted:

A new one from a recent trip down to the Monterey Bay area (lots to process so expect more):

Guiding Light by Don_H

I think the exposure is great - there's just enough light to set a great mood, and to separate the foreground coastline from the ocean/sky. The glow on the side of the lighthouse and small buildings is awesome. I think either a shorter exposure to completely freeze the cloud movement, or a much longer exposure to really emphasize the movement may have been nice.

Dense Forest by no3rdw, on Flickr

This is the only shot I'll post from the second day in the redwoods forest. I don't want to refuel the good light / bad light argument but I definitely found almost all my shots taken in the forest under these overcast conditions to be boring, while it was almost impossible to get a bad shot in the morning sunlight from the day before. This one I find ok because there's no blown-out, white sky in it :D

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Rot posted:

Once I get my gear back up and running I'm stealing your secret formula!

Seriously, very nice work.

My brother gives me poo poo for shooting landscapes in portrait orientation but I just can't help myself.

IMG_2008.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

No, no, no. That's awesome.

And Gamblor, those redwoods are beautiful. I live in a redwood forest but I just never think to take pictures because they're so ubiquitous.

God drat, you guys are so good. I need to get some shots from autumn before it's over!

Here are a few from a trip I took to Yosemite/Eastern California this summer. I was trying out that cheapo way to take long exposure daylight shots (with the welding glass). Trying to shift the colors back to relatively normal made them come out...sort of funky.

IMG_0941 by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

IMG_1019 by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

IMG_1013 by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

IMG_0984 by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

A few without the "filter."

IMG_0888 by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

untitled by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

yada by Charles Wilkes, on Flickr

Bristlecone pines are easy targets.

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 9, 2012

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
How much post-processing work did you do on these shots? Did you shoot in raw? Using your posted shots, it's fairly easy to get decent results (picture may be too red/yellow maybe, edit: or too saturated -- but the point is, you can get rid of the ugly cyan cast fairly easily). It's just a matter of using the color balance tool in PS and maybe a selective color adjustment if you want to darken/whiten any parts of the picture (ie. sky/clouds)

You should also convert your pictures to sRGB before uploading them on websites, AdobeRGB has a tendency to look washed out when displayed in browsers.

edit 2:

Mathturbator posted:

I like the cyan cast :shobon:

Ehh, not a fan of cyan casts in general, and for these shots in particular, it makes them look as if they were taken on expired film. I guess if that's what you're going for, great, keep the cyan cast and also maybe add in some light leaks for that True Holga Experience. If they were mine, though, I'd definitely try to fix it. Shrug.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 9, 2012

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I like the cyan cast :shobon:

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Well for that particular shot of the bristlecone, I took it without the welding glass. In all cases though, most of my post was done by manually adjusting the curves for each channel. All RAW, too. Also thanks, I didn't know that about the mode!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I'm going to be going to Chicago next week and then later in Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, and I want to take some pictures of buildings and such. Are there any "tips" or should I just head downtown in my city and look like a bufoon while I point my camera up at the sky practicing?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm going to be going to Chicago next week and then later in Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, and I want to take some pictures of buildings and such. Are there any "tips" or should I just head downtown in my city and look like a bufoon while I point my camera up at the sky practicing?

If you are in Vancouver it will probably be raining so pointing up could be problematic :v:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Slowly but surely I'm chipping away at my vacation pictures from the summer.

IMG_4943-Edit by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

This one isn't my favourite picture of mine ever, but I took this right before my fiance proposed so I'm trying to get it to a point where I can hang it up and not be embarrassed by it. The colour version is terrible, so I thought B&W might work.

IMG_4990-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

FISHMANPET posted:

Compared to east coast "big" cities, Seattle isn't very impressive building wise. I mean don't get me wrong there are tall buildings downtown (and the Space Needle) but it's nothing like NYC or Chicago. If you are just looking for a skyline photo here your best bet is to make your way to Kerry Park and grab the official tourist shot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Park_. Seattle is photogenic in many ways but a teeming metropolis of skyscrapers it ain't. Oh and it's Nov so it will be raining.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

whaam posted:

How am I supposed to shoot a variety of landscapes when the only thing around me is loving rocks. :negative:

Those are some fantastic rocks to have at-hand for regular shooting :) I'm in a similar boat to you; plenty of interesting seascape locations around me to shoot but very little else available without travelling at least a few hours. So I mostly do seascapes but try and get out of Sydney as often as possible for some variety.

Divergence

Bradley's Head Lighthouse

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
Removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 29, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are some badass mountains.. I want to hike them.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Have some pants HDR. It doesn't even look like HDR.

Canary Wharf Bridge (South Docks) by Clwn, on Flickr

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

a few shots from around the peak district:

assarts wood by ____||||||||||||||||||, on Flickr

from monsal head by ____||||||||||||||||||, on Flickr

branch complex by ____||||||||||||||||||, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

20121111-01web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
A couple from a recent trip up the east coast...

DSC_5732 by skypny, on Flickr

DSC_5841 by skypny, on Flickr

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

This is fantastic. I'm really envious of you guys who live near the water like that. My local landscape consists of boring, featureless brown hills, except 3 months out of the year when they become boring, featureless green hills. I have to travel at least an hour outside of the SF Bay area to get anywhere interesting.

These are all good, but this one is easily my favorite. This is exactly the kind of black and white I love, where it's all about the texture and pattern (or lack of one in this case.) I love that the branches keep pulling your eye around the photo relentlessly without pause; it's almost exhausting and confusing to look at. Well done.

The rest of my favorites from my recent trip down Highway 1 in CA:

River Walk by Don_H

Last Light in the Cove by Don_H

Glowing Portal by Don_H

Sunset from the Point by Don_H

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
Removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 29, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I'm new to landscapes.

For Sale by miso-beno, on Flickr

Arches National Park by miso-beno, on Flickr

Four Corners by miso-beno, on Flickr

Grand Canyon by miso-beno, on Flickr

Kujaroth posted:

Those are some fantastic rocks to have at-hand for regular shooting :) I'm in a similar boat to you; plenty of interesting seascape locations around me to shoot but very little else available without travelling at least a few hours. So I mostly do seascapes but try and get out of Sydney as often as possible for some variety.

Divergence

Bradley's Head Lighthouse

I just picked up a cheap Cokin filter holder, how many far are you stopping down with your neutral density filters? I'd love to get a starting point before I start sinking hundreds of dollars into filters.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 16, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Miso Beno posted:

I just picked up a cheap Cokin filter holder, how many far are you stopping down with your neutral density filters? I'd love to get a starting point before I start sinking hundreds of dollars into filters.

I'm pretty sure I was down 2 or 3 stops when I used my set of cokin filters to get this shot of some local mountains.

Art. by MrDespair, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Noble Bird by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
At first glance I thought this was a mirrored image. Very cool shot especially when compared to some of your other work.

Love the 3rd and 4th as well.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

And that's the end of my California trip

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I like all those!

It's been brown and unpleasant here, unusually below average precipitation. Except for one day!

First Snowfall 1 on Flickr

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 29, 2020

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
Nice effort with exposure. I was at fern canyon last year, without a tripod sadly, and I struggled. Such an amazing place

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Gambl0r posted:

And that's the end of my California trip

These are all cool. I've always wanted to go to Drakes Estero with some B&W film and the weather just right, and this reinforces my want.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Thanks guys!

Hotwax Residue posted:

Nice effort with exposure. I was at fern canyon last year, without a tripod sadly, and I struggled. Such an amazing place

The photos I had seen beforehand didn't do it justice - I was in awe once I got there... it looks straight out of a movie. I can see that being really tricky to shoot without a tripod because of the extreme range in lighting. The tripod also helped with balancing when using the fallen trees as bridges :D

atomicthumbs posted:

These are all cool. I've always wanted to go to Drakes Estero with some B&W film and the weather just right, and this reinforces my want.

I was unbelievably lucky with that shot. The estuary was not something I had planned on visiting (or even knew existed). It was the last evening of my trip, it was too early to head back to the city, and I decided to do one last short hike as I was driving back from the lighthouse. I figured anything called 'Sunset Beach' should be a nice spot to shoot. I didn't end up going all the way to the beach - I had never seen anything like the estuary before and ended up shooting there. Lucked out with the tide and weather, etc.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I love this photo. It is like a fantasy painting (minus the scantly-clad female).

I've never seen pictures of this before and it looks like an amazing place to visit. Is it difficult to get to?

Last light on the prairies from yesterday.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

InternetJunky posted:

I love this photo. It is like a fantasy painting (minus the scantly-clad female).

I've never seen pictures of this before and it looks like an amazing place to visit. Is it difficult to get to?

This is fantastic.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is it more helpful to have a hard or soft edge for graduated ND filters? Looking at snagging my first set to experiment with, thanks.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

InternetJunky posted:

I agree with Reichstag, this is amazing. I would have guessed it was a watercolor painting!
(Fern Canyon is easily accessible - you can drive within a half mile of it.)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is it more helpful to have a hard or soft edge for graduated ND filters? Looking at snagging my first set to experiment with, thanks.

Depends on what you're shooting- If you're most interested in sunsets, I'd say go with a hard edge (or reverse graduated ND). If you shoot telephoto landscapes, I think a hard edge is more useful, too.

If your landscapes usually have things above the horizon (like distant mountains or foreground elements like trees/buildings), go with the soft edge. A hard edge will make a very visible dark line in these elements. Depending on the strength of the filter, it can be impossible to correct in post. I bought a 3-stop soft edge and 3-stop reverse to start with and both have come in handy.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

alcatraz by francography, on Flickr

beach by francography, on Flickr

351B5995 by francography, on Flickr

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gambl0r posted:

Depends on what you're shooting- If you're most interested in sunsets, I'd say go with a hard edge (or reverse graduated ND). If you shoot telephoto landscapes, I think a hard edge is more useful, too.

If your landscapes usually have things above the horizon (like distant mountains or foreground elements like trees/buildings), go with the soft edge. A hard edge will make a very visible dark line in these elements. Depending on the strength of the filter, it can be impossible to correct in post. I bought a 3-stop soft edge and 3-stop reverse to start with and both have come in handy.
Thanks for the feedback. I caved and bought both the hard and soft edge sets from Lee. I also snagged a Big Stopper to play around with.

Thanks again!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I've always wanted to try that big stopper thing. Let me know how you like it.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I never really shoot landscapes - mainly because I never go anywhere when I'm at home. So it's kinda fun to shoot something new on holidays.

Night in on the Altoplano by joelalexanderwright, on Flickr

solitude. by joelalexanderwright, on Flickr

Emptiness. by joelalexanderwright, on Flickr

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 21, 2012

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Hellllll yes. Those are some sexy clouds.

DSC_7391.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_7381.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_5137.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Hi guys, not much of a poster here, bit of a lurker but thought I'd stick my head in. My standard has been pretty poor for a long time, but since some help from a couple of you guys I think things are starting to take off a little bit.

Primarily I've been practicing the brenizer method, and have fallen in love with it. It's all I do now, and since have only been using my canon 50mm f/1.8 despite having a couple of 'good' lenses in my kit. After having fallen in love with it, I've taken a costly plunge and purchased an 85mm f/1.2 and 50mm f/1.2. I thought a bit if it would be necessary to buy both, but then went ahead anyway as I thought I would probably just end up getting both in the end. Also upgraded my 7D to 5D mk II.

So hoping to really ramp it up with that and dig deeper into this method and really try and get it right.

here are a couple of snaps from my last trip to antarctica. hopefully they constitute landscape. any tips would be appreciated, I'm still really new to this...
one thing I'd really love to figure out is how to get rid of those fingers of vignetting in some of the skies... been a bit of a challenge so far

http://flickr.com/photos/alexgard

TBOY1-s by Alex Gard, on Flickr
this one was my personal fave and I hope to get more as crispy as this one

IST11 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

IB-LO23 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

IB-LO14 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

IB-LO2S by Alex Gard, on Flickr

GWSS-f by Alex Gard, on Flickr

AASP5 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

AAB-2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 22, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

scottch posted:

Hellllll yes. Those are some sexy clouds.

DSC_7391.jpg by scottch, on Flickr
This is cool.

This is almost cool but the crooked line in the center is upsetting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
The vertical line? This is a pretty old building, much of it isn't straight.