Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OliviaQ
Nov 22, 2004
Bwah.
Not sure if this is the RIGHT kind of small question, but it definitely doesn't deserve its own thread.

I'm a trumpet player and I've been asked to play "The House That Jack Built" by Aretha Franklin for a cabaret act. I've looked drat near everywhere and can't find any sheet music on it. There are videos upon videos of bands playing it, so I know it's out there.

Are there any good sites/shops/outlets that might carry it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
Here's a dumb one: I need to replace the power plug on an amplifier (non-removable cord, already grounded). Im not going to electrocute myself by just clipping the cable and tying the new one on, correct?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I feel like that is one of those questions that, if you have to ask, yes you are probably going to die.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
As long as you're only cutting and splicing the cord itself outside of the chassis, not loving around with the interior of the amp and soldering things or licking capacitors, it should be fine.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Achtane posted:

licking capacitors

yeah, it was fine. it occurred to me that I can touch all three pins on the plug and not get zapped, so it was just me being dumb about it.

This leads me to another question, are there any good books out there about repairing old amplifiers and other electronics?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Is there a program that can read guitar pro files and easily transpose parts to become suitable for Bb/Eb instruments? I'm trying to internalise more scales/fingerings and improve my sightreading via popular music and guitar pro files are the most widespread format nowadays. Guitar pro probably does this itself (I've never actually used it) but I'm wondering what other options are.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
I tried to find the answer to this via Google, but didn't get a definitive answer.

Will I destroy any of my equipment if I plug a keyboard's headphone output into a guitar effects pedal? Specifically, I've got a vintage 1983 DX7 and a Boss ME-25. I tentatively plugged the DX7's headphone out into the ME-25's input jack last night, with the DX7 at its lowest audible volume, and everything seemed to work OK. But I didn't want to do it for long until I found out whether or not I was running the risk of damaging things.

Any ideas?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

schmuckfeatures posted:

I tried to find the answer to this via Google, but didn't get a definitive answer.

Will I destroy any of my equipment if I plug a keyboard's headphone output into a guitar effects pedal? Specifically, I've got a vintage 1983 DX7 and a Boss ME-25. I tentatively plugged the DX7's headphone out into the ME-25's input jack last night, with the DX7 at its lowest audible volume, and everything seemed to work OK. But I didn't want to do it for long until I found out whether or not I was running the risk of damaging things.

Any ideas?

I've never damaged anything, in fact it's how I record from one of my keyboards and also how I use another in the occasional live setting. I've even run the keyboard through a guitar amp (but cut everything under 75hz just to be supersafe). I'm pretty sure that all you need to look out for is the lower frequencies bodging up guitar amps and also the keyboard sounding like smashed turds through an effects pedal. Start it at a low volume on the dx7 and increase it until you hear it clipping - I'm pretty certain the effect pedal would output at a safe level so the loudness wouldn't be an issue. I am worried about the lower frequencies though if running through a guitar amp but anything designed to handle a keyboard/bass would be fine. I've run a keyboard through an effect gizmo into a DI then PA without anything exploding at any step, also through a mixer (with a low cut button) into an acoustic guitar amp with no trouble.

I've only worked this out through trial and error and haven't had a problem yet, but if anyone can confirm/debunk what I've written that would be worth waiting for because I'd hate to see you bust something.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

schmuckfeatures posted:

Any ideas?

It's fine.

Excavation posted:

Is there a program that can read guitar pro files and easily transpose parts to become suitable for Bb/Eb instruments? I'm trying to internalise more scales/fingerings and improve my sightreading via popular music and guitar pro files are the most widespread format nowadays. Guitar pro probably does this itself (I've never actually used it) but I'm wondering what other options are.

Guitar Pro can definitely do this, there is a demo version to give it a shot. If you decide to buy it make sure you quickly google for "guitar pro discount" before you checkout because I was able to knock a third of the price off thanks to some random wesbite.

TuxGuitar can apparently import gp5 files but I've never used it so am unsure about the transposition function. It's free though so you have nothing to lose if it doesn't.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

RandomCheese posted:

Guitar Pro can definitely do this, there is a demo version to give it a shot. If you decide to buy it make sure you quickly google for "guitar pro discount" before you checkout because I was able to knock a third of the price off thanks to some random wesbite.

TuxGuitar can apparently import gp5 files but I've never used it so am unsure about the transposition function. It's free though so you have nothing to lose if it doesn't.

Cheers! I figured it would be the most obvious option but you never know what else is out there.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
schmuckfeatures, how are you finding the ME-25? I barely use mine as anything more than a glorified tuner/DI box now, it sounds a bit too plastic for me, even through my amp.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
I'm looking for some software to program MIDI files, I have a full setup at home but I want something I can use in work and out and about when I don't have access to it. I need something I can program using a piano roll layout, it needs to quantise and work in bars and beats and it needs to export as a standard midi file. I'm looking for something free that won't tax the shitheap computer I'll be running it on, anyone got any good recommendations?

I've tried downloading a few at random off google but they have been universally awful and unusable.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Thanks for the advice goons!

NonzeroCircle posted:

schmuckfeatures, how are you finding the ME-25? I barely use mine as anything more than a glorified tuner/DI box now, it sounds a bit too plastic for me, even through my amp.

Generally I really like it. Granted it's lacking a certain authenticity, but for a piece of consumer gear it's great.

If I practiced guitar more often I'd probably start to find more faults with it though. I was never good at keeping that up. :saddowns:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

duggimon posted:

I'm looking for some software to program MIDI files, I have a full setup at home but I want something I can use in work and out and about when I don't have access to it. I need something I can program using a piano roll layout, it needs to quantise and work in bars and beats and it needs to export as a standard midi file. I'm looking for something free that won't tax the shitheap computer I'll be running it on, anyone got any good recommendations?

I've tried downloading a few at random off google but they have been universally awful and unusable.

It's not really what you're looking for, but a Roland PMA-5 can be pretty kick rear end for most of those needs. Sounds good for a general MIDI module too.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

It's not really what you're looking for, but a Roland PMA-5 can be pretty kick rear end for most of those needs. Sounds good for a general MIDI module too.

Essentially what I'm looking for is the one thing that doesn't seem to have. All I want is a simple freeware program that lets me create MIDI files with an interface like this:

I don't care what it sounds like, I'd just like something simple, free and processor friendly, if there even exists such a thing.

Although, that PMA-5 does look kinda cool too...

breaks
May 12, 2001

Try Studio One Free. If it's the same as the big boy versions, there should be an "export parts to MIDI file" option in the Event menu.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Musagi, although that may be a bit more complex than you asked for

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I have an odd question that I feel would be better suited to NMD in general but there's no "small questions" thread, so I'm asking here. In Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fA-gBCkj0) there's a sound being played on an electronic device making a sound in the third, seventh, and eighth measures of every phrase...what is the sound being used?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
I want to play guitar using only my computer.

The last guitar I bought came with a free 1/4" to USB cable and Amplitube Metal software. I'm having trouble getting it to work, probably because I have a lovely onboard sound card. Using Asio4All I can get it to randomly work for a couple seconds here and there, although the sound quality is garbage.

My goal is to be able to do all of the following simultaneously without it being a gigantic pain in the rear end:
- Play my guitar via Amplitube Metal or other software
- Play tabs via GuitarPro/PowerTab etc. or just music
- Use either headphones or speakers
- (maybe) Record

I'm willing to drop as much cash as necessary for a good sound card and whatever else I need to facilitate this, but I don't really know where to begin with my research. Searching on Google has been hopeless, and I can't seem to find anyone talking about this kind of thing in either ML or SH/SC. If anyone could point me in the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated!

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I want to play guitar using only my computer...

I'd go with a USB external audio interface, like a Focusrite Scarlett or something from M-Audio. Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/

Then use something free, like Audacity, for recording.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Jazz Marimba posted:

I have an odd question that I feel would be better suited to NMD in general but there's no "small questions" thread, so I'm asking here. In Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fA-gBCkj0) there's a sound being played on an electronic device making a sound in the third, seventh, and eighth measures of every phrase...what is the sound being used?

It's an Akai MPC playing a cuica sample (that dog bark sound you hear on every 90s drum machine latin kit)

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

What do you think about keeping samples on an external drive in terms of speed. Is USB3 or thunderbolt up to it? I am using a macbook pro. I've got a USB3 drive but dont mind springing for a thunderbolt one if its needed.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I want to play guitar using only my computer.

If you aren't fussed about ins and outs or recording and just want to play back via your amp sim, then Guitar Rig Mobile is a steal for £80. It's the size of a box of cigarettes, has 2 1/4" jacks, one for input and one for output, and a USB port to hook it up. It uses its own ASIO drivers and comes with a slimmed down copy of Guitar Rig. It doesn't do much, but it does it well.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Magnitogorsk. posted:

The last guitar I bought came with a free 1/4" to USB cable and Amplitube Metal software. I'm having trouble getting it to work, probably because I have a lovely onboard sound card. Using Asio4All I can get it to randomly work for a couple seconds here and there, although the sound quality is garbage.

Have you messed with the settings in Amplitube? Ideally you should be able to select Asio4All as your input and then tweak settings like your buffer - this is critical to getting your latency down, without pushing it so hard that your computer can't actually process the sound in time. If you're getting mad glitching that might be the problem (I don't think your soundcard matters unless you generally get crap output from it?)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Ortazel posted:

It's an Akai MPC playing a cuica sample (that dog bark sound you hear on every 90s drum machine latin kit)

Thanks!

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

baka kaba posted:

Have you messed with the settings in Amplitube? Ideally you should be able to select Asio4All as your input and then tweak settings like your buffer - this is critical to getting your latency down, without pushing it so hard that your computer can't actually process the sound in time. If you're getting mad glitching that might be the problem (I don't think your soundcard matters unless you generally get crap output from it?)

After playing around with it more it seems to be an issue with the 1/4" to USB cable itself. So maybe if I get one of these external USB interfaces I'll be able to play guitar and play tabs at the same time?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Does anyone have any tips on flute embouchure for a beginner? I've been dabbling with the flute recently after getting a second-hand one as an early christmas present, and while I can sometimes get an alright sounds out of it, it's very hit and miss as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time. Any tips for getting a consistently good tone would be appreciated. Everything above an Eb5 sounds like poop too, but I'm guessing that's an airflow thing.

Also do we have enough woodwinds/brass players to warrant a "penis & tooter megathread"? I'm more of a guitar/keys player but I've been getting into sax and clarinet the last few months and I generally have as many questions as I have things I've worked out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ I think we used to have one (isn't there a tag too?) but threads drop off this forum really easily. Call it penis and tooter though and you'll get a lot of interest if nothing else!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

After playing around with it more it seems to be an issue with the 1/4" to USB cable itself. So maybe if I get one of these external USB interfaces I'll be able to play guitar and play tabs at the same time?

You should, yeah, or even just a better quality version of what you have. Might be worth looking in the home recording thread for some suggestions.

Just one thing you have to bear in mind, there's always going to be some latency - the delay between hitting the strings and hearing the sound. Ideally you'll be able to tweak things so your latency is unnoticeable, which really depends on you, but exactly how low you can get it depends on your computer hardware and the interface you're using. Basically, good equipment will to a point give you better results, and a ton of people use stuff like Amplitube to play live with whatever latency they have, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Question: How can I find out how much a guitar is worth? I have an old Aria Pro II RS series electric guitar my dad left behind, and I'm wondering how to find out what I could get for it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Probably not a lot. All the ones I just looked up went for less than 100 bucks.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Question: How can I find out how much a guitar is worth? I have an old Aria Pro II RS series electric guitar my dad left behind, and I'm wondering how to find out what I could get for it?

There are a ton of different aria pro 2 rs models (warrior, classic, elite)Can you post a picture or look for specific model or serial number. Some models like the rs850 are pretty valuable and I want one. Also color and pickup configuration may help if you can't provide a pic.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have an audio clip where someone is talking while there is a song playing in the background. Any audio editing pros know if it is feasible to remove or at least significantly attenuate the background music?(the voice i want to isolate is NOT the vocals from the song) I have the original song file which is playing in the background. I think matching getting the equalization between the original and the background recording is the main issue. Is there any software that would help to optimize this sort of matching? Or is this basically hopeless?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

peepsalot posted:

I have an audio clip where someone is talking while there is a song playing in the background. Any audio editing pros know if it is feasible to remove or at least significantly attenuate the background music?(the voice i want to isolate is NOT the vocals from the song) I have the original song file which is playing in the background. I think matching getting the equalization between the original and the background recording is the main issue. Is there any software that would help to optimize this sort of matching? Or is this basically hopeless?

Slightly desyncing the original track then mixing it back in with the recording the speech you want to isolate is on would be an example of phase cancellation. Yeah, it's in theory quite possible, it's how active noise cancellation works with headphones, but practically, I don't think you're going to find a ready made solution.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Does anyone know about a good sight with sight reading exercises? Any genre is fine.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

Anyone here tried any Dava picks?

Long time Control pick user here. I play metal mostly - picks give a great chugging sound, and are thin enough to make trem-picking easy. They're also fantastic for busting out pinch harmonics. It takes some getting used to, and they can shift a little, but it's worth it for the flexibility in picking tone.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

peepsalot posted:

It's very unlikely you'll be able to do anything with phase cancellation, you'll have more luck using EQ to strip out the frequencies you don't need, mostly in the low end. You could try an expander plugin, I've never used them before but I've been told they're the opposite of compressors, seems to me if the speech is louder than the music then that should help drop the relative volume of the music.

There's very little chance you can eliminate the music entirely though so it depends what you want to use the speech for, if it's to be set to different music then you may be able to reduce it far enough for the new music to mask it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I want to get an external speaker for a POD. Anyone have suggestions for one that isn't vastly overpowered for a bedroom, yet will still reproduce the entire spectrum? I had a pair of Yamahas but didn't realize until it was too late that they wanted a subwoofer - music played through those speakers was amazingly thin.

I mean I guess I could go buy a cheap set of Logitech computer speakers at Target and plug those in, but I didn't know if I should be looking at something a bit more substantial or highly recommended.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I want to get an external speaker for a POD. Anyone have suggestions for one that isn't vastly overpowered for a bedroom, yet will still reproduce the entire spectrum? I had a pair of Yamahas but didn't realize until it was too late that they wanted a subwoofer - music played through those speakers was amazingly thin.

I mean I guess I could go buy a cheap set of Logitech computer speakers at Target and plug those in, but I didn't know if I should be looking at something a bit more substantial or highly recommended.

What's your budget? If you also have an iPod then buying a dock for it that has a line in means you can reproduce the full spectrum and you can justify spending a bit more on it since you can use it for general purpose listening as well.

If you're going to use it for recording and mixing too then that might not be the best solution but if it's just for playing guitar through then this is a simple, easy and versatile setup that gets you what you're after and can be had relatively cheaply. Of course if you don't have an iPod then it's a bit pointless and you could get more for your money buying something more specific but that's the solution I went for in your position, I got a Bose one that kicks rear end.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Not much in the budget - my budget is kinda in line with the priority on this kind of project, and since it's low priority, low budget.

Since a dock is a good idea I'm thinking computer speakers might be a good idea after all. Simple solution!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not much in the budget - my budget is kinda in line with the priority on this kind of project, and since it's low priority, low budget.

Since a dock is a good idea I'm thinking computer speakers might be a good idea after all. Simple solution!

If you are mostly going to be using it for playing guitar through the POD, you might look at cheap keyboard amps. You can probably find a 15w one for < $100 and it will sound a lot better for the POD than little computer speakers.