Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Not sure what movie this lady is from, but for all the 2000AD readers; you know Ian Gibson's artwork, and how he draws women like Halo Jones and Cass Anderson:

Most Gibson mouth ever? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Not sure what movie this lady is from,

Thumbsucker.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's p much the best accompaniment to playing Mechwarrior Online, too. STOMP STOMP STOMP PEW PEW WHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSH BARRRRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Not sure what movie this lady is from, but for all the 2000AD readers; you know Ian Gibson's artwork, and how he draws women like Halo Jones and Cass Anderson:

Most Gibson mouth ever? :)

Haha! You're right! That lady DOES have a mouth like the girl in Ballad of Halo Jones. That was a fun graphic novel. :)

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Wow, quite a spoiler in the OST track titles.

Just saw this and I didn't think I'd ever pay 18.4 USD for a movie ticket and think it was totally worth it. I didn't even know it was being shown here in Finland and just happened to stumble upon it. Apparently it's just something like 3 showings, 3D only and no subtitles. :psyduck:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Just saw this and I didn't think I'd ever pay 18.4 USD for a movie ticket and think it was totally worth it. I didn't even know it was being shown here in Finland and just happened to stumble upon it. Apparently it's just something like 3 showings, 3D only and no subtitles. :psyduck:

Originally it wasn't supposed to come here at all, then it was shown last weekend for two days and that was supposed to be it, and then it turned out there were more screenings this weekend after all. It's been a bit of a mess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

picosecond posted:

Interestingly, the guy who wrote Black Ops II is also the screenwriter for Dark Knight Rises, David S. Goyer. First he put a little bit of Occupy Wall St. rhetoric into Bane's mouth and made his uprising a sort of new Reign Of Terror as the poors ruined the city, then he used that rhetoric as the dialogue of a terrorist leader. I'm thinking his politics are influencing his writing these days...

Why do people keep saying that DKR has the Poors taking over the city? We never see anyone other than Bane's force, the Blackgate prisoners and Scarecrow having any power, everyone else pretty much living in fear of them.

But its pretty par for the course for dictators to use populous messages on their rise to power, because it's not going to get them very far if they actually tell them the truth "support me, El Generalissimo, over El Presidente because I want to kill and torture my enemies and rule over you with an iron fist!".

I wonder how they could have promoted this better in North America; judge dread isn't exactly a household name, and anyone remembering it will think of the Stallone movie.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think the only thing they've could have done is gone for a less generic looking poster and trailer plus maybe gone to ground and get word of mouth running that this is a cool movie and NOT like the earlier one much earlier.

Also, maybe some kind of viral marketing campaign to get people interested in mega-city1 and drawn into the world and away from the "Judge Dredd" name which only brings to mind crap for most Americans. There's like 30 years of back material to get people interested, surely you can cook up some blogs, videos whatever with it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Xguard86 posted:

I think the only thing they've could have done is gone for a less generic looking poster and trailer plus maybe gone to ground and get word of mouth running that this is a cool movie and NOT like the earlier one much earlier.

Also, maybe some kind of viral marketing campaign to get people interested in mega-city1 and drawn into the world and away from the "Judge Dredd" name which only brings to mind crap for most Americans. There's like 30 years of back material to get people interested, surely you can cook up some blogs, videos whatever with it.

Unfortunately, while the Stallone Dredd is the only Dredd to most Americans, a lot of them liked it, and perceived this as just some dull, gritty 3D remake. I don't think any advertising wizardry could fix that, at least in America. I actually overheard a man who saw it complain that they should have kept Stallone, and that it wasn't anywhere near as good as the original. gently caress that guy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I thought they did do an ARG type thing, though?

I could've sworn I saw a Drudge Report re-skin called "The Dredd Report", complete with Mega City retools of then-current news stories.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. http://www.dreddreport.com/

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
EDIT: Derail, nvm

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
People always blame marketing for their favorite thing not selling. I think this was a case where a movie was marketed decently, it was just that no one was interested. It reminds me of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World in that aspect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sometimes movies just won't make the money, can't really predict success. It just happens, even for good movies that make no money.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

blackguy32 posted:

People always blame marketing for their favorite thing not selling. I think this was a case where a movie was marketed decently, it was just that no one was interested. It reminds me of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World in that aspect.

I don't think anyone who wasn't a giant sperglord thought Scott Pilgrim would have appeal outside of its target demo. It was a comic made for people who grew up in the 90s with the games and music and other styles.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

blackguy32 posted:

The thing is with both of these movies is that when people actually see them they absolutely love them, so you can't say no one cares. That speaks to marketing. And it's not that they didn't get marketed, they just weren't marketed right.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

I thought they did do an ARG type thing, though?

I could've sworn I saw a Drudge Report re-skin called "The Dredd Report", complete with Mega City retools of then-current news stories.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. http://www.dreddreport.com/

Judge Ke$ha Says She Had Sex With A Ghost…

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Tripwyre posted:

The thing is with both of these movies is that when people actually see them they absolutely love them, so you can't say no one cares. That speaks to marketing. And it's not that they didn't get marketed, they just weren't marketed right.

Except that Dredd is just a good action film. Scott Pilgrim is really self-indulgent and appeals to a specific group, but Dredd is a tightly filmed action movie with strong satirical elements in the same style as Robocop. It should really have a lot of mass appeal.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010
Well, it's nice to see that whilst the film wasn't as widely seen as some might have hoped, those who did see it clearly enjoyed it!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...mpaign=shorturl

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

Do you live outside the US? Because I saw exactly 0 ads for this that weren't movie posters in its whole running period.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Party Plane Jones posted:

Do you live outside the US? Because I saw exactly 0 ads for this that weren't movie posters in its whole running period.

Not to mention the trailer was pretty bad and cliche.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I live in Australia and I saw posters, tv spots, trailers, advertising plastered all across youtube, etc. etc. for about a month leading up to release.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Aaron A Aardvark posted:

Well, it's nice to see that whilst the film wasn't as widely seen as some might have hoped, those who did see it clearly enjoyed it!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...mpaign=shorturl

Yet they didnt get it!

I know movie Dredd is toned down somewhat so he can actually be a hero of sorts but it should still be pretty drat apparent how reprehensible a system it is.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

Yet they didnt get it!

I know movie Dredd is toned down somewhat so he can actually be a hero of sorts but it should still be pretty drat apparent how reprehensible a system it is.
Pretty sure that petition is ironic.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Dan Didio posted:

I live in Australia and I saw posters, tv spots, trailers, advertising plastered all across youtube, etc. etc. for about a month leading up to release.

I ran a ticket giveaway on my website, so I did my part. And before you say "people should have bought those tickets", after seeing it for free my best mate watched it twice paid, then re color graded his new music video to match it.

I think the Scott Pilgrim comparison is a bit off. Scott Pilgrim hit it's target - everyone who would like it saw it, and it's been having midnight screenings and special editions and continued support since then. The Vines based a music video off of it, and the game got a new DLC. Those of us who it was about saw it and utterly loved it.

I sorta feel like the same thing happened with Dredd - the word of mouth has been insane.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

So when the hell is this coming out on Blu Ray? Dredd was easily one of the best movies of summer 2012 and I want to see it again goddamnit. :(

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just came back from seeing this, it was great. I was really impressed with some of the visuals, especially during the slo-mo scenes. The only complaint I have is that the pacing felt a bit off at times, but that's really only nitpicking. On the whole I really liked this and I'm pretty sure I'll watch it again a few times after it's out on blu-ray.

Unfortunately I haven't seen it doing well over here (Germany) either. The cinema was barely 1/4 filled on a saturday evening, even though this is the first week it's running. I suppose this is mostly because Skyfall hit at the same time, but I also haven't seen any marketing for Dredd around. That's quite a shame, for my part I enjoyed it far more than Expendables 2, for example.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

G-III posted:

So when the hell is this coming out on Blu Ray? Dredd was easily one of the best movies of summer 2012 and I want to see it again goddamnit. :(

8th of January next year in the US, 14th of January in the UK. You can pre-order on Amazon.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I found a bunch of old Judge Dredd Megazines at a used bookstore. Can't wait to go through them after seeing the movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

8th of January next year in the US, 14th of January in the UK. You can pre-order on Amazon.

I didn't get to see Dredd is theaters, so I can't wait for this blu-ray release.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I didn't get to see Dredd is theaters, so I can't wait for this blu-ray release.

I saw this movie twice in theaters and I'm going to buy the blu-ray as soon as it comes out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Safety Factor posted:

I saw this movie twice in theaters and I'm going to buy the blu-ray as soon as it comes out.

Sup day 1 Blu-Ray purchase buddy? :hfive:

I'm stoked to see this again, along with any special features and commentary tracks.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I said come in! posted:

I didn't get to see Dredd is theaters,

That's a shame, cinema surround sound does wonders for the scenes of people getting skinned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just to let people know that issue 1 of the US Dredd comic by IDW is out today. It's a reboot, so you'll have no trouble jumping on.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Goddamit, this is the first movie that actually makes gore look beautiful and artistic.

I wish they showed a wide shot of Ma-Ma faceplanting into the ground floor instead of a closeup. I wanted to rate her swan dive into the concrete.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also if that was a normal day for them, I'd hate to know what I bad day would be. Also if it was a normal day than why did Dredd give Anderson a pass if she lost her primary weapon?
I figure that Dredd is somewhat pragmatic and realises that the ability to read minds can easily compensate for all her other flaws. She can identify murder suspects and corrupt Judges on sight. Someone like that should be kept in the fold, even if not to serve in a conventional capacity.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 22, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Maarak posted:

If Dredd was simply a "bad apple", the satire of the comic wouldn't really work. Dredd is an extension of Mega-City One, not some rogue cop:

They need to do this comic with a female rape victim instead. Let's see if the writers are willing to go that far.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

James Polk posted:

I don't understand why Dredd didn't cuff her and take her out of the building instead of risking the whole place exploding.

Is it "because Dredd."?
I don't understand why Dredd didn't just stun her or shoot her legs off.

edit: sorry for the triple post, can a mod plz delete this?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't understand why Dredd didn't just stun her or shoot her legs off.

edit: sorry for the triple post, can a mod plz delete this?

Because the sentence for her crimes was death.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Anderson is a mediocre person who fails in all the conventional ways but is allowed to become a hero because of some unique magical ability. She appeals to anyone who has failed to achieve a great career ambition due to lack of talent. I've encountered this kind of character before - is there a proper term for it?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 22, 2012

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Baron Bifford posted:

They need to do this comic with a female rape victim instead. Let's see if the writers are willing to go that far.

This is the exact reason why a literal page for page translation would not work for Dredd. He doesnt even seem to be a character, just a personification of satire.

Baron Bifford posted:

Anderson is a mediocre person who fails in all the conventional ways but is allowed to become a hero because of some unique magical ability. She appeals to anyone who has failed to achieve a great career ambition due to lack of talent. I've encountered this kind of character before - is there a proper term for it?

You know that describes almost every "coming of age hero" story there is right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In most coming of age stories, the hero starts of as merely inexperienced, but demonstrates his natural talent through facing adversity. Anderson doesn't have natural talent. She's a washout who gets to stay on because she has some special magical power.

On a completely different topic, what is the term for the inner space that Ma-Ma throws those drug dealers down?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 23, 2012

• Locked thread