Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Neremworld posted:

I've never gotten the adoration that G. Gordon Liddy gets from right-wingers. He's literally a criminal scumbag who was in prison for four years for literally being the mastermind behind Watergate.

The right wing has a very mean contrarian/devil's advocate streak that links very strongly with their need to feel as though they are persecuted. You can see this clearly in what happened with all the global warming nonsense. Global warming was a non-partisan accepted fact for a few years. You had carbon taxes being touted as the right wing market-based solution to the problem...until Al Gore got involved in the 90's.

The same thing happened with Romneycare. It was based on a Heritage Foundation plan from the 90's, and was accepted as a right wing market-based solution to the problem...until Obama decided to use it as a template for Obamacare.

They like G. Gordon Liddy because he stood up to liberals to the point where they threw him in jail for sticking it to those Dems! He was on the front lines fighting the good fight against hippies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Neremworld posted:

I've never gotten the adoration that G. Gordon Liddy gets from right-wingers. He's literally a criminal scumbag who was in prison for four years for literally being the mastermind behind Watergate.

So is Oliver North for that matter. Ollie is a literal war criminal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Basically the right reads 'war criminal' as 'slandered hero'.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Glitterbomber posted:

Basically the right reads 'war criminal' as 'slandered hero'.

Slandered Hero Allen West.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Myrdhale posted:

I get the strongest impression that so many conservatives must have grown up in really lovely situations to have such a massive hoarding FYGM mentality over everything. They look around at the plenty and wealth of the modern world and think 'There's barely enough to go around! Why should I share!'

I think also that a lot of them don't feel the happiness and satisfaction that they think they should feel derive from all the things the acquire and consume, leading to that frustrating sense that "something is missing/wrong" but since they should feel content but don't, it must be because of someone or something else other then themselves and their skewed priorities.

Spacedad posted:

Conservatives actually ARE funny - just not intentionally. They are eternally Elmer Fudds to the Bugs Bunnys of the world.

I'm thinking more Yosemite Sam.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 22, 2012

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Rexicon1 posted:

So is Oliver North for that matter. Ollie is a literal war criminal.

Iran-Contra is the absolute worst thing for me about conservatives. They don't stick with the party line of "well Reagan didn't know", they leap all the way to either "NOTHING HAPPENED" or "so what?"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nimmy posted:

Iran-Contra is the absolute worst thing for me about conservatives. They don't stick with the party line of "well Reagan didn't know", they leap all the way to either "NOTHING HAPPENED" or "so what?"

They basically view Oliver North like Stan does in the American Dad song about Oliver North:
http://www.heavy.com/comedy/comedy-videos/funny-videos/2010/11/american-dad-oliver-north-song/

But a conservative doesn't get that it's satire and agrees with everything Stan says. It's actually really depressing to know that some conservatives would watch that song and not see anything wrong with Stan's view of Oliver North.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 23, 2012

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Does North still have that show on Fox?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nimmy posted:

But Benghazi on the other hand is the hugest scandal ever.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

BiggerBoat posted:

But Benghazi on the other hand is the hugest scandal ever.

PEOPLE* DIED IN BENGHAZI!!!

*people: Americans

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Crossposting from the Republican Rebuilding thread, Maddow's slowly starting to beat Hannity in the ratings.

quote:

Particularly impressive were the results of the two powerhouse programs on the MSNBC lineup: Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell. Maddow won seven of the eight days against her Fox competition, Sean Hannity. For the 8-day run Maddow beat Hannity by 18% and her 544k average was second to only Bill O’Reilly in all of cable news. O’Donnell won all eight days against Fox’s Greta Van Susteren. His margin of victory over Van Susteren was 17% for the eight days.

This can no longer be considered a temporary blip on the ratings scales. With two weeks having elapsed, the MSNBC programs are showing steady strength against competition that was once thought insurmountable. Only Bill O’Reilly is holding his top position for Fox in primetime. This may indicate that Sean Hannity is wearing thin with viewers who are likely disappointed with his overly confident (and harebrained) assurances that all the polls were wrong and that Mitt Romney would emerge victorious.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Crossposting from the Republican Rebuilding thread, Maddow's slowly starting to beat Hannity in the ratings.

My god. It's happening.

The Undumbming of America

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Myrdhale posted:

My god. It's happening.

This. I hope so.

It drives me nuts when people compare what Maddow does as the left wing equivalent of what Hannity or O'Reilly do. There's no comparison. So far as I've ever seen, Rachael Maddow has never been exposed as a blatant liar and usually even when she's coming at you from a left angle, her facts are straight and tight. She doesn't gently caress around. I've never really seen her go after a Republican boogeyman/strawman just for the sake of it, but maybe she has. All too often it seems like it's more just "Republicans say crazy and horrible poo poo" then MSNBC reports it and somehow it's a typical liberal media hit piece filled with bias.

I hate this whole "the left wing does the same thing" bullshit. Even Michael Moore through his worst slight of hand film making never made anything like "Dreams of My Real Father" or whatever that "2016 Obama's America" movie was.

Ed Shultz and Keith Obermann gradually became the leftist alternatives to Rush, etc., and while that may be a fair argument to make, what they wound up doing was still in response to the right wingers making GBS threads up the airwaves for 15 years with blatant falsehoods, accusations of facts being driven by left leaning bias and an overall persecution complex that just will never ever quit no matter how ground is ceded to their horrible opinions.

These people are totalitarians. They were just as miserable and angry at everything from 2000-2008, even when they were getting their way, as they are now.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Onion Knight posted:

I don't think you even need to go so far as "grown up", I think this is why many poorer people vote conservative - they look at what they have and think "I can't afford to share! I'd be destitute!"

This is a really good post and when I was telling my wife about it, she brought up another interesting aspect of the conservative philosophy. They feed into the lotto-players' fever dreams of suddenly hitting the big time. Good people who work hard get rewarded, right? Maybe if you just work a little harder, that'll put you over the top and you'll be livin the high life! Voting Republican connects people to this nostalgic American dream where everyone just worked their land and up grew the crops and then came the customers to give them all the moneys. Democrats remind us that bad things can actually happen to good people and for a lot of folks that's just not something they want to consider much less support.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I just can't put Ed Schultz or Lawrence O'Donnell on the same level as those people. They aren't full of hatred and don't lie like Hannity. Schultz was actually pretty angry after the first debate. He couldn't help it. You'll never, ever see that on Fox.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I think for me the key difference between Maddow and Hannity (and most of the MSNBC hosts vs. most of the Fox News hosts) is that I honestly feel like Maddow would be fun to hang out with. Not necessarily in a "party down" kinda way, but more in a "person you could genuinely relate to and have a good conversation with" kinda way. Whereas I'd have to exercise every ounce of self-restraint not to want to punch Hannity's lights out the entire time (aka "Shep Smith syndrome" :v:).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

lil mortimer posted:

I just can't put Ed Schultz or Lawrence O'Donnell on the same level as those people. They aren't full of hatred and don't lie like Hannity. Schultz was actually pretty angry after the first debate. He couldn't help it. You'll never, ever see that on Fox.

True. I just meant he's unlistenable in the same way that the right wing types are (overly sensationalistic and LOUD!!!) and that he's occasionally just as dubious with his facts. I liked him for a while but got burned a few times on other boards regurgitating the stuff I heard him say only to find out he was being hyperbolic and just a tad selective with the things he was reporting. You're right. There really is no comparison but if one is to be made it would be centered more around Shcultz and Obermann than Maddow or someone like Bill Press.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think for me the key difference between Maddow and Hannity (and most of the MSNBC hosts vs. most of the Fox News hosts) is that I honestly feel like Maddow would be fun to hang out with. Not necessarily in a "party down" kinda way, but more in a "person you could genuinely relate to and have a good conversation with" kinda way. Whereas I'd have to exercise every ounce of self-restraint not to want to punch Hannity's lights out the entire time (aka "Shep Smith syndrome" :v:).

Just make sure to bring Ed Schultz with you if you think you might run into Hannity and hit him. I met Schultz and he's built like Ray Lewis. People talk about how physically imposing O'Reilly is, but I can't imagine he could take Ed in a fight.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sydney Bottocks posted:

From what I understand she is usually the bartender at the MSNBC after party for the White House correspondents dinner, so I actually do think she would be cool to hang out with in a "party down" way in addition to the other one.

e: Now with link!
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/yes-rachel-maddow-did-tend-bar-at-the-msnbc-nerdprom-party/

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 24, 2012

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I hate this whole "the left wing does the same thing" bullshit. Even Michael Moore through his worst slight of hand film making never made anything like "Dreams of My Real Father" or whatever that "2016 Obama's America" movie was.

Agreed that he's not as big a piece of poo poo as Dinesh D'Souza, but I still don't have much use for Michael Moore. I remember watching Farenheit 9/11, and it opens with him talking wistfully about how Gore nearly won the 2000 election. That always bothers the gently caress out of me because Moore was one of the biggest boosters for Nader's quixotic 2000 election bid and spent most of that election season attacking Gore from the left.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

A Winner is Jew posted:

From what I understand she is usually the bartender at the MSNBC after party for the White House correspondents dinner, so I actually do think she would be cool to hang out with in a "party down" way in addition to the other one.

e: Now with link!
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/yes-rachel-maddow-did-tend-bar-at-the-msnbc-nerdprom-party/

Hell either last week or the week before she ended the Friday episode of her show with a bartending lesson on how to make an alternate whiskey sour. Rachel Maddow would be the best person to party with.

I like this news though. On one hand, maybe America is in fact undumbing itself. Meanwhile, if FOX has most of its prime shows fall into 2nd place instead of 1st, then they'll finally be able to complain about the mainstream media with some legitimacy :v:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
If you can find Rachel Maddow making a whiskey sour, it needs to be posted in the Political Cartoons thread, urgently.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
^^^ Like 12 steps ahead of you guys ^^^

So I tried to fine that clip, but having failed in that regard I found something totally better which is just another reason why she is the best pundit on cable news today:

:siren:Rachel Maddow teaching us all how to mix drinks:siren:

Old Fashioned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ccqDlu0kuI

Millionaire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4YHnADDjaQ

Sidecar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvqcFo8yqU4

The Last Word
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBSYP7a7WEo

Irish Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTVIRmQaLeU

Manhattan & Champagne Cocktail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gav2jrsNSM0

The Rickey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EawQmXou38

Jack Rose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sebfwBVEVKE

Gin Sling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOBAGJZbBo0

Mojito
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GejLSsci-TU

How the Supreme Court is like a Whiskey Sour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVHTZliZbao

Adventures in White House cocktail investigative photojournalism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWMqrdmVDA8

Your move Hannity. :c00lbert:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

BiggerBoat posted:

I've never really seen her go after a Republican boogeyman/strawman just for the sake of it, but maybe she has.

I don't think it was intentional, but it kinda turned into one when she interviewed Art Robinson in 2010.

This interview is the most amazing trainwreck ever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Relentless posted:

I don't think it was intentional, but it kinda turned into one when she interviewed Art Robinson in 2010.

Yea that was a total accident because Art was a paranoid maniac, Maddow went in there like any calm reporter just trying to get him to clarify himself would, he just lost his everloving mind.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Relentless posted:

Hooooly poo poo this guy has a persecution complex the like I've never seen in a person above the age of 16.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

:siren:Rachel Maddow teaching us all how to mix drinks:siren:
Your move Hannity. :c00lbert:

I despise MSNBC and the whole personality-based form of news commentary that they borrowed from Fox. The freedom they give Maddow is just another way to conceal their censorship (kicking Cenk Uygur out, for example).

However, :swoon:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Relentless posted:

Holy poo poo. :catstare:

Edit: That man is the definition of condescending, out of touch, paranoid reactionary with a persecution complex. He is literally demanding a pundit stop quoting him directly.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 24, 2012

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I love Rachel Maddow with all my heart. I lost it one these two Libertarian Evangelical guys I know who started calling her Mr. Maddow, I went off on the blatant homophobia, they then professed ignorance to the fact she's a lesbian, they just think she looks like a man. I was too worked up from my previous assumption to realize that they were still being sexist as gently caress.

So on point I have a question for the thread, what the gently caress is up wit Dick Morris? Is he in it just for the money cause they poo poo he puts out there makes him seem like he's off his loving rocker. I just acquired (ask no questions and I'll tell no lies) his new book "Here Come the Black Helicopters!: UN Global Governance and the Loss of Freedom." I got this cause I've been working on expanding my undergrad thesis paper on conspiracy theory in American politics and this well this is the first thing in the book

Dick Morris and Eileen McGann posted:

Warning Reading this book and adopting its premise may be dangerous to your reputation and lead to criticism and ridicule from liberals, globalists, and radical environmentalists.

But, understand this; if they have their way, the America we know and love will no longer exist.

Becasue their plans for global governance-through the United Nations and its releated agencies-are at serious odds with out democratic traditions, values and laws.

We must stop them....before its' too late

Except all in caps cause its a warning label you see, it goes on

Batshit Crazy Motherfuckers posted:

But what do the black helicopter refer to?

The term the "black helicopter crowd" has become a derisive liberal buzz phrase ised to categorize those who question the movement for global governance. Anyone who believes that there currently serious attempts to transfer American autonomy to the United Nations or to an international commission is labeled as a kook, a conspiracy theorist, a member of the "black helicopter crowd."

Of course, we don't believe that there are actual black helicopters on the way to conquer the United States. But what we do believe that the term "black helicopter" is a useful metaphor to capture this attempt to erode out sovereignty by a network of United Nations treaties, codes, guidelines, and other resolutions. We think they have reached a critical mass and that it is time to stop them.

That's what we mean by "Here Come the Black Helicopters!"

Jesus H. loving Christ up on the Cross and all his Saints is the batshit crazy just dripping from this, this isn't even really the first page of the book, this is before the table of contents.

And while on the topic of crazy right-wing books,Judge Napolitano has a book "Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom." I saw that one and just laughed at the insanity before moving on.

So sorry for the long post, but what the gently caress is going on?

Edit: for formatting.

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 24, 2012

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Myrdhale posted:

My god. It's happening.

You're not nearly cynical enough.

What's happening is that the ideologues are having marriage problems with Fox News as a result of the last election. Fox 'broke ranks', in their pea sized brains, for not following Rove off of the cliff and trying to claim a Romney victory or at least a 'close race' even as all of the polls pretty clearly showed an Obama win in Ohio.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

The Ender posted:

You're not nearly cynical enough.

What's happening is that the ideologues are having marriage problems with Fox News as a result of the last election. Fox 'broke ranks', in their pea sized brains, for not following Rove off of the cliff and trying to claim a Romney victory or at least a 'close race' even as all of the polls pretty clearly showed an Obama win in Ohio.

This is definitely part of it, I've seen more than a few "Obama stole the election" articles that had comments where the commenters were bemoaning how Fox News is clearly in on the fix, has become too liberal, turned their back on America, etc. All because they called states for Obama instead of claiming how Obama clearly lied and stole the election and so forth. Granted, this is hardly indicative of Fox News potentially losing their spot as the #1 cable news network, but it's certainly promising. :v:

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This is definitely part of it, I've seen more than a few "Obama stole the election" articles that had comments where the commenters were bemoaning how Fox News is clearly in on the fix, has become too liberal, turned their back on America, etc. All because they called states for Obama instead of claiming how Obama clearly lied and stole the election and so forth. Granted, this is hardly indicative of Fox News potentially losing their spot as the #1 cable news network, but it's certainly promising. :v:

I imagine Alex Jones is going to see a surge in sales of his Terror Vortex or whatever bullshit he calls his DVDs these days in the coming months.

quote:

This is the best thing. Totally made my night.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

greazeball posted:

This is a really good post and when I was telling my wife about it, she brought up another interesting aspect of the conservative philosophy. They feed into the lotto-players' fever dreams of suddenly hitting the big time. Good people who work hard get rewarded, right? Maybe if you just work a little harder, that'll put you over the top and you'll be livin the high life! Voting Republican connects people to this nostalgic American dream where everyone just worked their land and up grew the crops and then came the customers to give them all the moneys. Democrats remind us that bad things can actually happen to good people and for a lot of folks that's just not something they want to consider much less support.

I really think the idea that conservatism is based around fear is spot on though. Economic conservatism, in thinking that if we give too much to the poor then literally everyone else will be broke and starving, is maintained by fear, as is social conservatism, with the idea that all minority groups are evil people who have some insidious plot for the country. People say conservatives are racist, but I really think that's a bad description, because almost all conservatives I know are really and truly terrified of minorities. It's not hatred, it's fear. The conservatives I know are genuinely scared in the presence of black people, homosexuals, muslims, etc. This is also why right wingers get enraged at the very mention of the "r-word" racism, because in their eyes someone calling them a racist is effectively belittling and insulting them for being frightened by Black Panther criminal thugs who would probably rape his or her daughter if left alone for a second. Same with the gays, muslims, "women's libbers", etc, etc. The sheer terror and anguish that drives these people really can't be described.

This is all pretty much why I think describing Republican Party conservatism as "FYGM", or "racist" is very simplistic, and not really accurate. I don't know if better understanding will help combat it, but who knows.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ErIog posted:

They like G. Gordon Liddy because he stood up to liberals to the point where they threw him in jail for sticking it to those Dems! He was on the front lines fighting the good fight against hippies.
Everything about the Plumbers reads like it was meant to appeal to paranoid middle american SEKRIT WAR freaks. The Committee To Re-Elect the President engages protocol ODESSA on advisement of [deleted]. Colson taps Liddy to carry out SMERSH-ALPHA against known NOGOODNIKS. Ehrlichmann declines to inform POTUS of details, better he not know the specifics.

It all makes Liddy out to be some two-fisted Nick Fury secret agent, when in fact he's just some idiot that looks like a penis with a Brimley 'stache who got paid exorbitant amounts of money to get pinched jimmying locks. Dude makes cheesecake calendars of women in stars and stripes bikinis delicately brandishing assault rifles for chrissake, he probably had to grow that cookie duster out to hide the fact he's got a birthmark that spells out "LOSER" above his upper lip.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

I really think the idea that conservatism is based around fear is spot on though. Economic conservatism, in thinking that if we give too much to the poor then literally everyone else will be broke and starving, is maintained by fear, as is social conservatism, with the idea that all minority groups are evil people who have some insidious plot for the country. People say conservatives are racist, but I really think that's a bad description, because almost all conservatives I know are really and truly terrified of minorities. It's not hatred, it's fear. The conservatives I know are genuinely scared in the presence of black people, homosexuals, muslims, etc. This is also why right wingers get enraged at the very mention of the "r-word" racism, because in their eyes someone calling them a racist is effectively belittling and insulting them for being frightened by Black Panther criminal thugs who would probably rape his or her daughter if left alone for a second. Same with the gays, muslims, "women's libbers", etc, etc. The sheer terror and anguish that drives these people really can't be described.

This is all pretty much why I think describing Republican Party conservatism as "FYGM", or "racist" is very simplistic, and not really accurate. I don't know if better understanding will help combat it, but who knows.

I agree that they've got a solid foundation of fear, but I'd never really realised how the true believers can maintain it until I heard the Lotto-player comparison. Hate is such a hard thing to carry around and an exhausting way of motivating yourself but this delusional optimism is just the thing to counteract that. You can hate all kinds of people but nobody wants to define themselves like that. This imaginary American dream lets them call themselves the optimists (I'm going to make it big!) while describing the Democrats as the pessimists (They want to stop some people from getting super-rich!).

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

How is it not racism? They look different, therefore I am scared of them because they are awful and will do terrible things(while I am better than them because I am white). Just because they are 'scared' doesn't make it more fear than racism. It's fear because they are racist.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

This. I hope so.

It drives me nuts when people compare what Maddow does as the left wing equivalent of what Hannity or O'Reilly do. There's no comparison. So far as I've ever seen, Rachael Maddow has never been exposed as a blatant liar and usually even when she's coming at you from a left angle, her facts are straight and tight. She doesn't gently caress around. I've never really seen her go after a Republican boogeyman/strawman just for the sake of it, but maybe she has. All too often it seems like it's more just "Republicans say crazy and horrible poo poo" then MSNBC reports it and somehow it's a typical liberal media hit piece filled with bias.

Ed Shultz and Keith Obermann gradually became the leftist alternatives to Rush, etc., and while that may be a fair argument to make, what they wound up doing was still in response to the right wingers making GBS threads up the airwaves for 15 years with blatant falsehoods, accusations of facts being driven by left leaning bias and an overall persecution complex that just will never ever quit no matter how ground is ceded to their horrible opinions.

These people are totalitarians. They were just as miserable and angry at everything from 2000-2008, even when they were getting their way, as they are now.

Here's the thing. Maddow plays right into the "they're dumb, we're smart" angle that pisses conservatives off. Watch her show and think if you supported the Tea Party. Do you think that her talking about how stupid and horrible the people they respect are doesn't completely undermine her message? FOX got its base by hyping up the us vs them mentality, and yes, Maddow and a lot of others do the exact same thing, and provide evidence that fits the narrative of the elite liberal who laughs in your face and thinks you are retarded because you talk slow. Let's not pretend that a FOX viewer turning into MSNBC doesn't see the same thing the MSNBC viewer sees when they watch FOX. I think it's despicable and immature all around, and it's a journalists job to find the news and report it. Not to dig up evidence to show how much dumber the rest of the country is than you, dear viewer. It's not just the Southern strategy that makes the Republicans the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice for southerners. It's the portrayal of liberals, and our support for people who fit those negative stereotypes to a T. Culture war works both ways. I think a little respect would go a long ways, considering how many people literally vote against their own interest out of spite due to the lefts portrayal of them, and inability to see what the problem is. Regardless of the factuality of what they are reporting.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But Fox is telling lies to do this. Maddow is usually just pointing out reality. What I'm trying to say is: it's different because Maddow is right.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
But listen, if we don't spoon feed them, they'll starve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Maddow 'plays into' that by being smart. It's a bit absurd to blame her for not talking down to everyone.