Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I'm currently running iOS 6.0.1 on my 4S and I got the ATT text message saying I went over 3GB of data and that If I did it again I’d be throttled. Funny thing is though, my usage patterns haven't changed for years and I've NEVER ever used 3GB of cellular data, EVER. I'm usually on WiFi. Only change is updating to iOS6, A HUGE loving MISTAKE. Post Steve Jobs Apple is a loving piece of poo poo. I digress, however.

I jailbroke 5.1.1 on my 4S in the past. Anyway, I had blobs for all iOS 5 iterations saved on saurik’s servers, as Cydia does for you automatically. I query Cydia for my device’s blob and it returns nothing. Then I have that sinking feeling tied to a horrible realization: Two weeks ago, had to replace my iPhone at the Genius Bar cause of a cracked screen. Of course there are no blobs for my device, because this device is completely different than the one I jailbroke! gently caress.

Tl;dr Save your blobs locally.

Which prompts another question, even if I had saved the blobs locally, they would be worthless with this newly swapped iPhone, correct?

Kailtor posted:

Blobs are specific to a device, so you won't be able to use your old phone's blobs with your new phone.

gently caress, I figured as much. God DAMNIT.

tl;dr2 Don't ever loving upgrade your device and don't ever loving replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

decypher posted:

I'm currently running iOS 6.0.1 on my 4S and I got the ATT text message saying I went over 3GB of data and that If I did it again I’d be throttled. Funny thing is though, my usage patterns haven't changed for years and I've NEVER ever used 3GB of cellular data, EVER. I'm usually on WiFi. Only change is updating to iOS6, A HUGE loving MISTAKE. Post Steve Jobs Apple is a loving piece of poo poo. I digress, however.

I've also been hitting my data limit since upgrading to iOS 6. Is this a common thing?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

decypher posted:

Sounds like a pretty minor mistake honestly.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I've also been hitting my data limit since upgrading to iOS 6. Is this a common thing?

Who knows. The chatter around the topic has increased a lot since iOS 6 dropped. More so than I've never noticed in the iPhone scene.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

decypher posted:

Who knows. The chatter around the topic has increased a lot since iOS 6 dropped. More so than I've never noticed in the iPhone scene.

Same here, seems to be coming up more. I apparently used just over 5gb of data last month, first month I have owned this device. I usually hover around 2-3gb/month in the past on an iPhone 4 but maybe I was just using more on the new one while playing with more apps that I could get faster LTE speeds.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
It's a very common thing that iOS6 uses a lot more data when you do anything that uses the streaming framework.

http://labs.prx.org/2012/11/14/ios-6-0-devours-data-plans-causes-cdn-overages/

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/11/14/bug-in-apples-ios-6-0-triggers-multiple-downloads-of-podcasts-causing-big-data-overages/39/

Hologram
Nov 2, 2006

:chillpill:

Wow. This explains why I've been going way over on my data lately. What a crock of sh*t.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This seems like it should be obvious, but how do I prevent my newly updated biteSMS from popping up at the lockscreen in front of lockinfo?

mango time
Feb 20, 2008
I tried posting this question in the iPad thread but didn't get any suggestions so I will try again here! I have a jailbroken iPad 1 running 5.1.1. Apps are constantly crashing due to low memory even though I only have 1 app running. I disabled iMessage, location services, spotlight search, notifications and iCloud to try to help with the low memory. Apps still crash. I wanted to downgrade to 4.3.3 but I don't have the shsh blobs :(

Are there any things I can do with a jailbroken iPad 1 to fix the low memory problem?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Jailbroken stuff like winterboard/themes will take quite a bit of memory by themselves. Since you have it jailbroken, you probably the shsh whatever blob saved too, so try and just do a clean restore on stock 5.1.1 and see?

mango time
Feb 20, 2008
I did do a clean restore (I think...set it to black screen and then used iTunes to restore) so I've been using it without winterboard or any of that stuff. It has been a bit better but still has low memory issues periodically. Perhaps I will just have to be careful to only do one thing at a time then if there isn't really anything else that can be done.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Wario In Real Life posted:

Sounds like a pretty minor mistake honestly.

The loving software travesty that is iOS 6 is a minor mistake? Don't be ridiculous. It was 100% against the interests of the consumer, and they did it anyway. I'm surprised there was not more flak for the move.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Michael Scott posted:

The loving software travesty that is iOS 6 is a minor mistake? Don't be ridiculous. It was 100% against the interests of the consumer, and they did it anyway. I'm surprised there was not more flak for the move.
I can't tell if this is serious or not :shobon:

Famine
May 8, 2004
I just bought a ipad (4th) gen. Is there anyway to jailbreak it?

Search around google it seems theres no 'released' software that will jailbreak ipad3 or ipad4 and it seems the elite few that have coded their own jailbreaks arent sharing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Famine posted:

Nope.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Famine posted:

Search around google it seems theres no 'released' software that will jailbreak ipad3 or ipad4 and it seems the elite few that have coded their own jailbreaks arent sharing.

Anyone have any ideas?

My iPad 3 is running 5.1.1 jailbroken. Mine shipped with 5.1 and I jailbroke it as soon as it was possible.

I can imagine it being a little while (months) before the 4 is jailbroken as an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 isn't even available yet on some older devices.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Famine posted:

Anyone have any ideas?

It's not that they're hoarding the exploits so much as the user land exploits most likely require a dev account to use.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Is it possible to update a clean iphone from 5.1 to 5.1.1? Or is that what the "apple stopped signing xx" thing means, that you can only update to 6.0+?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Is it possible to update a clean iphone from 5.1 to 5.1.1? Or is that what the "apple stopped signing xx" thing means, that you can only update to 6.0+?

Correct. Unless you at one time saved activation files with tiny umbrella or Cydia, you will not be able to get to 5.1.1.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I don't know much about iOS so please bear with me. My wife has a jailbroken 3rd gen ipod touch. She wants me to put the Kindle software on it but the appstore says it requires iOS 5. Is there a way to either upgrade this thing to iOS 5 or find an older version of the kindle software to put on?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jailbreak matrix says there is an untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak for the 3rd gen touch. No idea if that's the last available firmware for those so if it is it should still be signed by apple and upgrading should be a breeze (I think)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jailbreak matrix says there is an untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak for the 3rd gen touch. No idea if that's the last available firmware for those so if it is it should still be signed by apple and upgrading should be a breeze (I think)

Thanks, I'll do some digging around for that.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I always ask my questions here because I feel like because my phone is jailbroken, common denominator means that I should not be posting in the iOS thread.

Anyway I've been having an interesting problem with my phone. if I set my ring tones, text and phone, and I silence the phone using the switch on the left-hand side it resets the ring tones back to the original settings when I come back off silent by switching the device back to ring.
Anybody ever have this issue?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Blimpkin posted:

I always ask my questions here because I feel like because my phone is jailbroken, common denominator means that I should not be posting in the iOS thread.

Anyway I've been having an interesting problem with my phone. if I set my ring tones, text and phone, and I silence the phone using the switch on the left-hand side it resets the ring tones back to the original settings when I come back off silent by switching the device back to ring.
Anybody ever have this issue?
Do you have anything installed that will edit your ringtones at all? BiteSMS or similar per-contact ringtone stuff?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

status posted:

Do you have anything installed that will edit your ringtones at all? BiteSMS or similar per-contact ringtone stuff?

Well I use Unlimtones to grab ringtones, which is the Cydia extension of audiko.net, which managed to get me ringtones with no issues like this. I recently was exchanged my old phone for a refurb model as my original had it's power button break. Though I was already thinking about going back to exchange this one already because when it vibrates it rattles the casing and makes a loud noise. I tend to have my phone on silent alot, but am quite annoyed to come out of silent with my ringtones reset.

I only have one contact with a specified ringtone, and I did that through the vanilla contact menu.

Very perplexing.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I'm interested in jailbraking my phone so I can hobby develop. I have a 4S with OS 5.1.1 on it.

My contacts and other things aren't automatically synced with iTunes. In fact, I've never synced anything, just dragged music from mp3 folders onto the device in iTunes. When I try to enable syncing, it talks about losing all of the stuff I have on my phone and replace it with what iTunes has. So how do I jailbreak and not lose this unsynced stuff? Is it as easy as a backup/restore?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for this lame-o question but is jailbreaking the iPhone 5 pretty much going to be "impossible" in the same way that I've been hearing the AppleTV 3 jailbreak is pretty much "impossible"?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Sorry for this lame-o question but is jailbreaking the iPhone 5 pretty much going to be "impossible" in the same way that I've been hearing the AppleTV 3 jailbreak is pretty much "impossible"?

Yeah the 5 (and iOS6) really stepped up the game when it comes to closing up security holes. What little they've managed to pull off (I think there's an unreleased tethered JB for the 5) require an Apple Developer account on the device so it's useless for most people.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah the 5 (and iOS6) really stepped up the game when it comes to closing up security holes. What little they've managed to pull off (I think there's an unreleased tethered JB for the 5) require an Apple Developer account on the device so it's useless for most people.

Thanks. I really want an iPhone 5 but there's a few things I absolutely need that comes with jailbreaking. That kinda sucks, but I don't blame Apple or anything. I had an HTC Thunderbolt and it was a piece of crap; I really don't want to not get an iPhone 5. Oh well.

DJ ChemE
Dec 1, 2004

Trust me, I'm a doctor

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Thanks. I really want an iPhone 5 but there's a few things I absolutely need that comes with jailbreaking. That kinda sucks, but I don't blame Apple or anything. I had an HTC Thunderbolt and it was a piece of crap; I really don't want to not get an iPhone 5. Oh well.

The Thunderbolt was my last Android phone too. My god the battery life on that thing was awful, :argh:. I then went with the 4s for a useful, day-long battery but the only thing that's made the phone fully useful has been my jailbreak. If there's no jailbreak in site for the 5+ or iOS 6+ than I think I'm headed back to Droids.

For those of you with the 5, how is the battery life with 4G LTE?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Physical posted:

I'm interested in jailbraking my phone so I can hobby develop. I have a 4S with OS 5.1.1 on it.

My contacts and other things aren't automatically synced with iTunes. In fact, I've never synced anything, just dragged music from mp3 folders onto the device in iTunes. When I try to enable syncing, it talks about losing all of the stuff I have on my phone and replace it with what iTunes has. So how do I jailbreak and not lose this unsynced stuff? Is it as easy as a backup/restore?

It is possible to start syncing with iTunes without losing anything.

You'd want to do it 1 page at a time (Books, Apps, Music, etc).
Right click on your device and tell iTunes to import purchases. This makes sure all your purchased stuff is copied locally.
Make sure all your music and stuff is in iTunes locally, and has been added to whatever playlists you want to use.

It will wipe the playlists, Folders, etc - but it will not actually delete apps if you have the same stuff both locally and on the device.

It can take trial and error, so I recommend during a backup (and be prepared to lose stuff).

I just did a clean install of Windows 8 and iTunes, and got two iPhones and iPad all synced up on the new install without importing anything over from the old iTunes install, and without deleting anything from the devices.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DJ ChemE posted:

For those of you with the 5, how is the battery life with 4G LTE?
Better than 3G (or 3G+ or whatever that HSPDA+ thing is) on my old 4s or 4. LTE is not a power issue like it is on most droids since Apple waited for the more efficient LTE chips instead of throwing it in immediately. It's really significantly better on battery since data transfers so much faster and can then go into a low power state sooner. This is AT&T, not sure about Verizon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mine feels about the same as the 4/4S. Heavy use I get 4-6 hours depending on location (reception can be a bitch) but its a non-issue since my phone is always plugged in while traveling so I rarely hit 5 hours without being able to charge the phone for a little bit.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
My 5 on LTE gets noticeably better battery life than my 4S did, like close to 50% better I would guess. The 4S was on Sprint though, 5 is on AT&T. Which I imagine has more to do with it than anything.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hamburlgar posted:

My iPad 3 is running 5.1.1 jailbroken. Mine shipped with 5.1 and I jailbroke it as soon as it was possible.

I can imagine it being a little while (months) before the 4 is jailbroken as an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 isn't even available yet on some older devices.
So the iPad 3 is jailbreakable then? That makes me feel a slight bit better about buying the iPad 3 literally the week before the 4 came out. :downs:

It still shipped with 5.1.1 and I haven't upgraded so hopefully that means I'm good. I'm in no hurry to go to the POS that is iOS6 so no jailbreak for that isn't really an issue for me.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
If you have an ipad3 that shipped with 5.1.1 then consider yourself lucky. Get that bitch jailbroken before an accidental OTA update!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on my iphone 3GS which is still on 4.something. I was following the steps in the OP until I got to the "Erase all Content and Settings" part, now it's stuck on the apple logo and I can't do anything.

Googling tells me that I should NOT have done that because it messes up a jailbroken phone. Might want to update the OP on that? As far as I can tell my only option here is to do a restore through itunes, which will also update it to 6.0 which isn't jailbroken yet. Is there really no other way to fix this?

I think I have SHSHs saved on Cydia (there were a list of version numbers displayed at the top of the screen), but honestly I've never understood how that stuff works. I don't know how I can get to those when my phone is unusable and fixing it will make it not jailbroken anymore.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on my iphone 3GS which is still on 4.something. I was following the steps in the OP until I got to the "Erase all Content and Settings" part, now it's stuck on the apple logo and I can't do anything.

Googling tells me that I should NOT have done that because it messes up a jailbroken phone. Might want to update the OP on that? As far as I can tell my only option here is to do a restore through itunes, which will also update it to 6.0 which isn't jailbroken yet. Is there really no other way to fix this?

I think I have SHSHs saved on Cydia (there were a list of version numbers displayed at the top of the screen), but honestly I've never understood how that stuff works. I don't know how I can get to those when my phone is unusable and fixing it will make it not jailbroken anymore.

It may not be totally clear, but the OP *does* say to do NOT do "Erase all Content and Settings" if you're already jailbroken.
The part where it says to do "Erase all Content and Settings" is for those running stock OS. However, even that is not really recommended. Ever. In any circumstance. Even if you have never jailbroken and never plan on jailbreaking. Restoring from iTunes is the only way I'd ever "wipe" a device.
Even telling people there is an "Erase all Content and Settings" option leads to trouble. It's not needed in any situation, and can lead to trouble in some specific situations (so why bother with it at all?).

If you have your SHSH backed up (4.2.1, 5.1.1, etc), you can still restore to that in iTunes. Shift+Restore (Win) Option/Alt+Restore (Mac) will let you pick an IPSW to restore to.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Okay that worked, thank you!

But I want to point out that this:

Xenomorph posted:

It may not be totally clear, but the OP *does* say to do NOT do "Erase all Content and Settings" if you're already jailbroken.
The part where it says to do "Erase all Content and Settings" is for those running stock OS.

is not true. The section that tells you to do this is headed "If you're using a previously jailbroken device that is not running iOS version 5.1.1 OR are currently not jailbroken" (emphasis mine). It only says not to "If you're already using a tethered 5.1.1 jailbreak", and just sounds like something that's not necessary in that case, rather than actually harmful. Anyone like me who's on something older than version 5 is going to read that, follow those instructions, and end up having to restore their device.

Edit: and now that I have more of an idea of how SHSHs work, I realise that I was wasting my time anyway, since I'd need to be already on version 5.1.1 to do the stuff in the OP and now that 6.0 is out I can't install 5.1.1 if I don't already have an SHSH for it, am I right?

I guess I should be keeping an eye on this stuff and upgrading to newer firmware as soon as it's jailbroken, so I don't get stuck unable to use apps that need firmware newer than what I have but old enough to not be signed anymore. :(

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Hmmm... I guess it's not the best info.
Actually, someone running a "previously jailbroken device" may be using a version of iOS that isn't even compatible with Absinthe / greenpois0n, so the rest of the instructions wouldn't be valid either (since the instructions mention nothing about updating).

I would only follow this guide:

1) Backup your device in iTunes.
2) Shift/Option-Restore to iOS 5.1.1.
3) Run Absinthe to jailbreak it.
4) "Restore from Backup" to put your data/apps/settings back on.

It works for jailbroken devices, non-jailbroken devices, and it doesn't matter if you're running iOS 4.x, 5.x, etc.

Doing it any other way is asking for trouble.
Running Absinthe when your device has all your data/apps/settings still on it risks losing something due to the way it shuffles things around. Many people found their camera rolls empty after the jailbreak. Since VPN is the vector for the exploit, it messes with those that actually use VPN (I have no less than 3 VPN profiles on all my iOS devices) - so that's why the device should be wiped first. However, mentioning "Erase all Content and Settings" is bad. It's not needed to wipe a device, and can get your device stuck at the Apple logo if you're jailbroken. There are actually tweaks on Cydia that DISABLE that button so people stop loving pushing it! (ResetAllKiller, recommended by Saurik himself as a featured tool)

• Locked thread