Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Everything will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Everything will be fine.

Came out perfect. Even left the wings in the pan when I lifted it out.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Is there a type of cookware (other than cast iron) that works better with an electric range? I'm having serious issues with hot spots when I use regular non-stick pans and such. Cast iron works great but I can't really use it for everything and it does require a lot of heat management since the eyes get so drat hot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cast iron doesn't distribute heat very well, actually. I get hotspots on my gas range as well.

Ideally you want one of those tri-ply or multi-clad skillets that are aluminum sandwiched between steel. Or at the very least a stainless steel skillet with an aluminum disc bottom.

A non-stick pan is usually made of aluminum as well, basically anything with aluminum (or copper) is going to be ideal for heat distribution

Pretty much almost anything other than cast iron, really.

edit: another idea is that if you want to continue using your cast iron without getting hotspots, get a diffuser:
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Tamer-Burner-Plate/dp/B00004W4UJ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1353648894&sr=8-7&keywords=heat+diffuser

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 23, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is turkey carcass worth making a stock out of

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Steve Yun posted:

Yes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

I've never used the stock for anything else but turkey soup is amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well I suppose we will try turkey pho then.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a trick to making mayonnaise with an immersion blender?

I add everything, press the blender down on the bottom and slowly move it around to incorporate the oil, but seemingly randomly it will break and I can't figure out why.

I can make mayonnaise both by hand and by slowly incorporating the oil into the IB so I know how to do it, but the IB with all the oil in it to start is giving me trouble.

Do you pulse or run it? How fast do you incorporate the oil? Do you lift it off the bottom or just roll it around? Can you over-blend it an cause it to break? Am I just missing some critical part that I'm not getting from YouTube videos? Should I use a specific oil for better results? Does any of this even matter and I'm just bad at IB mayonnaise?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
edit: is this the recipe you're following?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

I got nothing better to do right now so I made a batch. Worked just fine other than a little bit of oil at the top that the IB couldn't get to, but I was able to spoon mix that afterwards.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do you pulse or run it?
Run

quote:

How fast do you incorporate the oil?
I drizzle most of the time (I usually use the food processor) but with the batch I just made I threw everything into the cup and blended it.

quote:

Do you lift it off the bottom or just roll it around?
Is the cup you're using something that came with the blender? Mine doesn't have any room to roll around (and it probably shouldn't), I just lifted it slowly up and down.

quote:

Can you over-blend it an cause it to break?
Doubt it.

quote:

Should I use a specific oil for better results?
Are you using vegetable oil?

edit: goddamn this poo poo is so delicious

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 23, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Since I'm going to be making turkey pot pies tomorrow, does anyone know of a spectacular recipe for that? If not, I'll just pick some recipe with what looks like a decent blend of spices and ingredients.

If it comes to that, any qualms with using a chicken pot pie recipe, but substituting turkey breast?

Edit: I'm currently looking at this. Does that look pretty good? I'm not totally sold on the full sized biscuit crust. I'll probably use a rolling pin, thin it to standard pie crust thickness, and glaze it with some egg. Sound good?

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 23, 2012

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have found I can not stand butter in any application you can directly taste or smell it. For instance, cakes are fine, but melting butter for a roux makes me want to retch. An exception to this is buttercream. I think maybe because I don't melt it?

Anyway, I was brought up using margarine not butter so I just substitute that for pretty much any recipe calling for butter. I have done tests of butter versus margarine foods and can either not tell the difference or prefer margarine.

Am I weird for this and am I missing out on a crucial taste? I just want nice food but the smell and taste of cooked butter disgusts me. Is it an acquired taste?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
How are you with things that duplicate the butter smell?

How about with other fats, like mayo or lard or crisco?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a trick to making mayonnaise with an immersion blender?

I add everything, press the blender down on the bottom and slowly move it around to incorporate the oil, but seemingly randomly it will break and I can't figure out why.

I can make mayonnaise both by hand and by slowly incorporating the oil into the IB so I know how to do it, but the IB with all the oil in it to start is giving me trouble.

Do you pulse or run it? How fast do you incorporate the oil? Do you lift it off the bottom or just roll it around? Can you over-blend it an cause it to break? Am I just missing some critical part that I'm not getting from YouTube videos? Should I use a specific oil for better results? Does any of this even matter and I'm just bad at IB mayonnaise?

Did you add any lemon juice or vinegar or anything? Might not have enough water.

syntaxfunction posted:

I have found I can not stand butter in any application you can directly taste or smell it. For instance, cakes are fine, but melting butter for a roux makes me want to retch. An exception to this is buttercream. I think maybe because I don't melt it?

Anyway, I was brought up using margarine not butter so I just substitute that for pretty much any recipe calling for butter. I have done tests of butter versus margarine foods and can either not tell the difference or prefer margarine.

Am I weird for this and am I missing out on a crucial taste? I just want nice food but the smell and taste of cooked butter disgusts me. Is it an acquired taste?

Yes, you're just weird.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
In the name of rampant consumerism, anybody found anyplace online for snazzy post-turkey day deals on kitchen goodies? I've got a few foodfriends who could use something nice under the tree this season.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Steve Yun posted:

Well I suppose we will try turkey pho then.

I made turkey pho with mine last year and it was fantastic.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need some advice re: duck confit.

Keller's recipe calls for the oven at 190 degrees for 8-10 hours.

Only problem is my oven is seeming to go either at 160 or 200-210 using my infrared thermometer...the knob only reads "warm, 200, 250" etc. any advice?

Edit: after letting it settle out for twenty minutes, it seems its about 186...hoping it stays like that.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 23, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

Go to a doctor and let them know you're experiencing these symptoms. Hopefully they'll be able to treat the underlying condition and get you back onto a healthful, natural, all-butter diet as soon as possible. Until then, try to maintain your strength by eating butterhorns, croissants, buttercream frosting, and butter-flavored bon-bons. :ohdear:

Kidding aside, I can't think of anyone experiencing this particular distaste. Is it something that happened recently or is it a long-standing dislike? It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you but it's unusual for the smell of cooked butter to trigger a negative reaction. Are you lactose intolerant in general? That would at least make a little sense.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm in need of a 3 quart crockpot for my mom for Christmas.Is there a gooncensus on one that small?

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I'm planning on buying the Silver Spoon book, but I wanted to know if there is a book that teaches the essentials of French cooking like different sauces and such. Any recommendations?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Guacamayo posted:

I'm planning on buying the Silver Spoon book, but I wanted to know if there is a book that teaches the essentials of French cooking like different sauces and such. Any recommendations?

Larousse Gastronomique is pretty fantastic for this.

Jessi Bond
May 2, 2007

Daddy's girl's a fucking monster.

syntaxfunction posted:

Do you have a very sensitive nose in general? I'm like a goddamn bloodhound and while I don't have this same reaction, I can definitely understand how the smell of melting butter could turn someone's stomach. It's sort of, I don't know...fatty? There's probably more people out there who would be disgusted by the smell if they stuck their nose right up in it, and you just happen to be an unfortunate combination of distaste for the smell + the ability to actually notice it.

Picked up my very first ever bamboo cutting boards this morning, and now I'm wondering how to handle them. Internet research tells me everything from "don't you dare touch them until you've slathered them with mineral oil or they will peel and crack and you will cry" to "use them for 20 years, let them drip dry, and never use any kind of oil it's a waste of time." The instructions for these particular boards said to wash and drip dry after use, and to oil from time to time. Who's right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oil it from time to time. Wash it with soap and water.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I made gravy using a roux, drippings from the meat and chicken stock. How long will it last in the fridge?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

Larousse Gastronomique is pretty fantastic for this.
I really wouldn't want to have to learn technique from Larousse. It's more of an encyclopaedia than a guidebook, and while it rattles off a bunch of recipes and definitions and descriptions, there's just about literally zero exposition about how to do any of it.

For what most people think of as classic French cooking---so post-Escoffier haute cuisine---I'd suggest one of Pepin's books, like Complete Techniques or, and I think this is the canonical choice, Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

I really wouldn't want to have to learn technique from Larousse. It's more of an encyclopaedia than a guidebook, and while it rattles off a bunch of recipes and definitions and descriptions, there's just about literally zero exposition about how to do any of it.

I agree. I read the post to be asking for recipes, not techniques. It is certainly possible that I misinterpreted.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

tarepanda posted:

How are you with things that duplicate the butter smell?

How about with other fats, like mayo or lard or crisco?

Haven't tried straight lard or crisco but animal fats and the like are delicious.

CuddleChunks posted:

Kidding aside, I can't think of anyone experiencing this particular distaste. Is it something that happened recently or is it a long-standing dislike? It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you but it's unusual for the smell of cooked butter to trigger a negative reaction. Are you lactose intolerant in general? That would at least make a little sense.

I think it's long standing? I never really used butter until I started cooking myself when I turned 18ish (About five years ago). I am not lactose intolerant and in fact I love to down a nice bottle of full cream milk when I can,

TortillaFactory posted:

Do you have a very sensitive nose in general? I'm like a goddamn bloodhound and while I don't have this same reaction, I can definitely understand how the smell of melting butter could turn someone's stomach. It's sort of, I don't know...fatty? There's probably more people out there who would be disgusted by the smell if they stuck their nose right up in it, and you just happen to be an unfortunate combination of distaste for the smell + the ability to actually notice it.

No, in fact my sense of smell is pretty shocking. But butter seems to permeate the air.

I should clarify that normal butter I've no problem with, but the moment it gets melted or heated it becomes terrible for me (I just ran some tests). This also applies to the taste of it. At first I thought I was burning it but that seems to not be the case at all. Is there some weird reaction that it goes through when heated? I've tried both salted and unsalted if that makes any difference.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Steve Yun posted:

edit: is this the recipe you're following?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

I got nothing better to do right now so I made a batch. Worked just fine other than a little bit of oil at the top that the IB couldn't get to, but I was able to spoon mix that afterwards.

Run

I drizzle most of the time (I usually use the food processor) but with the batch I just made I threw everything into the cup and blended it.

Is the cup you're using something that came with the blender? Mine doesn't have any room to roll around (and it probably shouldn't), I just lifted it slowly up and down.

Doubt it.

Are you using vegetable oil?

edit: goddamn this poo poo is so delicious

That's pretty much the recipe, yeah. I use vinegar and lemon juice both because I like it a little tangy.

I guess all it needs is to ~*believe in you'reself*~~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh_RTtnArE4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can also try a little more mustard. Both the egg yolk and the mustard function as binders, and it would be easier than adding more egg

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Anyone have a video guide on how to break apart a whole chicken?

Some of the recipes from Alton Brown I've watched uses 'Panko breadcrumbs'. Can I substitute these with normal breadcrumbs?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

toanoradian posted:

Some of the recipes from Alton Brown I've watched uses 'Panko breadcrumbs'. Can I substitute these with normal breadcrumbs?

Yes, you can sub with regular breadcrumbs. The only difference is that panko gives a lighter, more airy crispiness and texture, kind of like the difference between a piece of white bread toast and a whole wheat bread toast.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
My boyfriend has a very good quality paella pan he bought while he was living in Madrid. It's got that non-stick coating on it, but over the years it has chipped in one place and is slowly coming away from the pan.

Is it possible to get it repaired? If so, are there any AusGoons who might know where could I go to have this done? I live in New South Wales.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

toanoradian posted:

Jacques Pepin does a fantastic video on this, but I can't remember what it was called. He basically butterflies it to wrap it up.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is or was there a thread on sous vide (vacuum or ziplock) cooking?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I went into Subway and ordered a chopped chicken salad, and the person behind the counter put the ingredients into a bowl and chopped it with something I have never seen before, it resembles a double knife, but it fits in your hand, sort of like an upside down U. I need this, it looks to make salad creation 1000x easier than chopping it bit by bit with a regular knife. What is this kitchen tool called?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

I went into Subway and ordered a chopped chicken salad, and the person behind the counter put the ingredients into a bowl and chopped it with something I have never seen before, it resembles a double knife, but it fits in your hand, sort of like an upside down U. I need this, it looks to make salad creation 1000x easier than chopping it bit by bit with a regular knife. What is this kitchen tool called?

Was it a mezzaluna?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bee posted:

My boyfriend has a very good quality paella pan he bought while he was living in Madrid. It's got that non-stick coating on it, but over the years it has chipped in one place and is slowly coming away from the pan.

Is it possible to get it repaired? If so, are there any AusGoons who might know where could I go to have this done? I live in New South Wales.

No, once the non-stick starts to come off, it's pretty much time to throw it out.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have a go-to recipe for turning a formerly 12lb turkey carcass into a nice stock / broth / soup?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Maybe Goons can help me with a good starting off point. I can never decide what to get from the grocery store to eat. If it were up to me, I would grab a pack of boneless Chicken Breasts and throw them on the George Foreman every night. But that gets old and I can never decide what to eat with it.

So maybe some ideas will help, when you go to the grocery store, what do you typically grab for entrees? Sides? Snacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Does anyone have a go-to recipe for turning a formerly 12lb turkey carcass into a nice stock / broth / soup?

Chop up a bit, cover with water, couple carrots, a celery stalk or two and a quartered onion. Handful of peppercorns, a bay leaf or two and whatever herbs you have on hand. Simmer for a couple hours and skim occasionally.