Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Crowbear posted:

More hardcore farming stuff you say?

Boy howdy do I have a game for you!

This is the single greatest advertisement I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know when you can get the Seed Maker in Harvest Moon: A New Beginning? I'm hoping I'm not running behind at Summer 3 without it. :(

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

madeupfred posted:

Does anyone know when you can get the Seed Maker in Harvest Moon: A New Beginning? I'm hoping I'm not running behind at Summer 3 without it. :(

You're not behind. I didn't get it until Winter. I believe you unlock it in the third renovation?

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

madeupfred posted:

Rebecca's shop will have the blueprint for the Maker Shed in Fall, but you will need an Amethyst to build it, so I believe you also need to have the mine unlocked (music found in the clinic unlocks the mine.)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

elzie posted:

Rebecca's shop will have the blueprint for the Maker Shed in Fall, but you will need an Amethyst to build it, so I believe you also need to have the mine unlocked (music found in the clinic unlocks the mine.)

Ah yes, that's what caused the delay for me, took a while to come across the amethyst.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I finally caught up to the same date as my sister's profile.

She somehow has a 50 slot bag and is rolling in all kinds of wealth and has a plethora of items I've never seen.

I won't be seeing her for a week and I couldn't find the information on a google search. How do you get the 50 slot bag?

Also, I stayed up late one night (only 11ish) and now my character has dropped a smiley face down in level next to the hearts. After a few days, it still hasn't returned to normal. What's up with that? I can't water my crops twice a day with this.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Met posted:

I finally caught up to the same date as my sister's profile.

She somehow has a 50 slot bag and is rolling in all kinds of wealth and has a plethora of items I've never seen.

I won't be seeing her for a week and I couldn't find the information on a google search. How do you get the 50 slot bag?

Also, I stayed up late one night (only 11ish) and now my character has dropped a smiley face down in level next to the hearts. After a few days, it still hasn't returned to normal. What's up with that? I can't water my crops twice a day with this.

The 50 slot bag will just show up in the general store. There is also at least one bigger one after that that I have. I am not sure if there are any requirements for getting them to show up, but they showed up for me at the start of a new season. Can't remember which ones though.

To get your smiley face back, eat some food.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Miijhal posted:

Oh man, I could really use it. Trying to get enough for the brush and one outfit (although getting 21 of them would probably take too long in multiplayer, so I'll probably have to wait for the latter).

I've got plenty of stuff to trade, including some five star tea leaves, and in one or two in-game days I should have great alpaca and llama wool, if you need it. Code is 0731-4814-7893.

edit: We might as well just set up some goon multiplayer rooms. You basically just meet up with each-other, randomly exchange gifts, and then dick around with up to 20 animals (5 per player). Everyone gets one item from each animal, or up to five if they're giant animals. You can pretty much do it infinitely, too.

No, it's actually pretty perfect. The main demographic, as far as I can tell, is people who buy joke gifts for their friends and people who like playing terrible games.

My email is ryuk8488@yahoo.com I'm in Ohio so I'm eastern time zone. I'd love to help any and all goons out so feel free to email me and we can set something up. I work during the day, but I'm free around 3 and on. We can set up a time and meet up. Where exactly do I find my friendcode for this game? Never used it before.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Honest Ray posted:

My email is ryuk8488@yahoo.com I'm in Ohio so I'm eastern time zone. I'd love to help any and all goons out so feel free to email me and we can set something up. I work during the day, but I'm free around 3 and on. We can set up a time and meet up. Where exactly do I find my friendcode for this game? Never used it before.

You can check your friend code by pressing the home button and clicking on the little square smiley face at the top of the screen. You'll be the first person in your friends list, and your code will be under your name.

I'm open most of the day, since after tomorrow I'll have the week off. Same time zone.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The 50 item bag starts selling on the first of summer, I believe.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

I don't have the game yet (well, I have the game but not the console, but my 3DS won't get here until tomorrow), so maybe I'm just missing the context for this, but why exactly do people suggest you only water fertilized crops every other day? Does the watering reduce the effectiveness of the fertilizer or something?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Giant Boy Detective posted:

I don't have the game yet (well, I have the game but not the console, but my 3DS won't get here until tomorrow), so maybe I'm just missing the context for this, but why exactly do people suggest you only water fertilized crops every other day? Does the watering reduce the effectiveness of the fertilizer or something?

Initially you don't have the seed maker, so crops that can only be harvested once before needing to be replanted cannot be fertilized longer than their short growing period. Not watering your plants artificially lengthens the growing period, thus allowing you to fertilize them more before they need to be harvested. It's kind of a poor mechanic in the game early on, as you need certain levels of crops to win the harvest festivals, and in that case watering twice per day (the max) may actually prevent you from winning the first festival. Once you get the seed maker you might as well water everyday, unless you really don't want to replant more often.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Quick advice if you're like me and can't be bothered to take your animals to the sanctuary like me, when it comes to the town restoration (5th or 6th) and you need to win an animal festival in the advanced class just enter the chicken like I did. No having to take it to the sanctuary! Just do the regular kind of care like picking it up, having it graze, feeding and keeping the coop clean. So much easier.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Miijhal posted:

You can check your friend code by pressing the home button and clicking on the little square smiley face at the top of the screen. You'll be the first person in your friends list, and your code will be under your name.

I'm open most of the day, since after tomorrow I'll have the week off. Same time zone.

My friend code is 0302-1077-1980

I have Silkie Eggs and Brown Wool for all my SA chums.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I read somewhere that I should be saving bottles. How many should I have and how soon will I need them?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've redesigned the guides I've been posting. Now, I'll just keep a single guide running, on a Google Docs file. Every time I update it, I'll post the link to it, along with whatever additions are being added. Like so:

:gonchar: SA HM: A New Beginning guide :gonchar:

LIVESTOCK

- Quick advice if you're like me and can't be bothered to take your animals to the sanctuary like me, when it comes to the town restoration (5th or 6th) and you need to win an animal festival in the advanced class just enter the chicken like I did. No having to take it to the sanctuary! Just do the regular kind of care like picking it up, having it graze, feeding and keeping the coop clean. So much easier. - Thanks Toriori!

CROPS

- Trees can lose their rank after a bad storm. I've read reports of 5 star trees degrading to 4.5 after a storm. I wonder if the same happens with other crops?

Met posted:

I read somewhere that I should be saving bottles. How many should I have and how soon will I need them?

You need a total of 25 for the five makers you can build. You need five per maker.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is it meant to be private? Requested access.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Oh, whoops. Never used this like this before. Fixed.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Revol posted:

- Trees can lose their rank after a bad storm. I've read reports of 5 star trees degrading to 4.5 after a storm. I wonder if the same happens with other crops?

All crops lose quality after storms.

Edit: And I can confirm this because my max quality flax plants all lost a rank when a blizzard struck.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 20, 2012

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking of storms, is weather save-scummable the night before, or is it set in stone for X days?

RoyalScion posted:

Initially you don't have the seed maker, so crops that can only be harvested once before needing to be replanted cannot be fertilized longer than their short growing period. Not watering your plants artificially lengthens the growing period, thus allowing you to fertilize them more before they need to be harvested. It's kind of a poor mechanic in the game early on, as you need certain levels of crops to win the harvest festivals, and in that case watering twice per day (the max) may actually prevent you from winning the first festival. Once you get the seed maker you might as well water everyday, unless you really don't want to replant more often.

Thanks for the explanation!

Someone over at the fogu forums made a Google Doc map with the sizes of buildings off the Japanese wiki so you can plan your farm and town layouts beforehand.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
My friend code is 5455-9803-4944

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
Is there somewhere other than hitting that one tree in the forest I'm missing to get Glass Stones? I need them to complete one of the restoration buildings and in the two seasons I've had them show up I've gotten a total of five. I'm in my first Winter, if it helps.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Green Jacket posted:

Is there somewhere other than hitting that one tree in the forest I'm missing to get Glass Stones? I need them to complete one of the restoration buildings and in the two seasons I've had them show up I've gotten a total of five. I'm in my first Winter, if it helps.

You get a lot of glass stone in the mine. Check FOGU to see if you can open up the mine before you have to build that building. If not, then yes, the only option is the tree.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Green Jacket posted:

You can get them in the mine once you unlock that. I guess you are talking about the inn so just complete the other buildings first which will unlock the mine.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
I just got my first big crop today! It just so happened to be on my fertilizer spot so I had to turn it into seeds and I got 3 seeds instead of 1. Nice bonus.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Okay, another suggestion:
As soon as you build the travel agency and are able to go to the Southern Island (the already available location), bring fish traps and go as often as you can to get pearls. You can get them by using a fish trap, but it's tough. The reason being is for the fifth (and final restoration), you have to build a lavish fountain, which requires ten pearls. Difficult task so if you can chip away at getting the pearls ahead of time, it'll be worth it. Each trip to the Southern Island is 10k.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
You also want to make sure you are making friends with the turtles each time you visit because it is the only way to get bananas and mangos (without wifi trading).

I had my third gardening show and I decided to just clutter the space up with junk, basically a bunch of bushes and trees, and it was my best one yet. 5220g but still a moderate success. The villagers made nice comments though (except for Allen).

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ya'll are making me want to buy a 3DS. I'm going to need one for RF4 anyways but my money... :saddowns:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GruntyThrst posted:

Ya'll are making me want to buy a 3DS. I'm going to need one for RF4 anyways but my money... :saddowns:

And Animal Crossing.

...and potential Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario titles.

See if you can find a used one. I ordered a used 3DS off of Amazon for $110 and it came perfect in the original packaging, completely unopened.

Worst case, you order a cheap used one marked as being in very good condition and if it isn't in the condition it claimed to be, Amazon will refund it. They're very good about that sort of thing and you'll end up saving $50+

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What color heart does a person need for you to date them? Neil has a green heart but he rejected me when I showed him the ring :(

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You have to do it on weekends, between 10am and 8pm I think. Blue is the minimum IIRC.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there supposed to be any sort of hint for what gifts what characters like in Friends of Mineral Town or do they just expect you to use a guide? There's a couple of characters that said things about what they liked but most of them are apparently kind of passive aggressive and seem to keep thanking you for gifts they hate so now half the girls in the town and probably some other folks I haven't bothered checking think my farmer guy is a total jerk. :)

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
They're more or less based off personality. Karen, the town alcholic, loves wine and rich foods, and Mary goes hiking with her dad and likes all the wild grasses. The easiest girl to woo is Popuri, she goes nuts for anything with egg in it. Pretty much all the girls like diamonds, perfume, and flowers too.

From memory (it's been years since I played FOMT!) there's a very clear difference between gifts they like and gifts they don't care about/hate. Try the above gifts and you'll see.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
i'm feeling kind of confused about the storyline in RF2. In guides I keep seeing stuff about the '2nd generation', i.e. after you have a kid, but no real info about the story to put it in context. Obviously I haven't gotten that far, so I'm not sure what the story is supposed to be until then because it doesn't seem like anything important is happening (I'm in about mid-Spring, year 1).

Is the whole first part of the game just working towards getting married, then in the second half the real story begins? Can I do any real fighting before having a child?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Is the whole first part of the game just working towards getting married, then in the second half the real story begins?
Can I do any real fighting before having a child?

Yes.
Not really.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Does anyone have a Suffolk sheep? I desperately need some wool for the child bed

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Replaying Harvest Moon 64. The mayor is an rear end in a top hat.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
God I wish I could play Harvest Moon 64 on a handheld. :sigh:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I've just got Rebecca and have built Tina's house. How long is it until I start getting Town Plans? I want to start improving the gently caress out of this town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So, for people who played ToTT, who did you marry? I'm leaning towards Reina.

Also throwing animals and stuff instead of putting them down is REALLY weird.

• Locked thread