Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Watching the Giantbomb Quicklook of Nintendoland. In the last 25% of the video or so they are playing Luigi's Ghost Mansion. The 1st level layout seems different than what I've played - did Nintendo patch the level or something?

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-nintendo-land/17-6811/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

After the countless hours I spent in front of an ancient projection tv with speakers blaring that song, this video gave me chills. I want this.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Watching the Giantbomb Quicklook of Nintendoland. In the last 25% of the video or so they are playing Luigi's Ghost Mansion. The 1st level layout seems different than what I've played - did Nintendo patch the level or something?

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-nintendo-land/17-6811/

Level is deifferent depending on the number of players. Specifically I know that the bottom hallway connects to the bottom right when its 4 players but not with less.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006
We need to get an database of Goon IDs going. My ID is Complainer. Please befriend me, especially if you play Black Ops 2 Online.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

grilldos posted:

Well, that's better than once ever.

I think there's some misunderstanding here. Surely the transfer tool transfers all licenses even for software currently not on the console itself, right?

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Hobo de los Muertos posted:

We need to get an database of Goon IDs going. My ID is Complainer. Please befriend me, especially if you play Black Ops 2 Online.

SA's gotcha covered, chief

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got my WiiU set up and all my data from my Wii that I've had since launch transferred over. I had a scare when the transfer was 70% done and I got an error and had to unplug my system in order to reboot it, but it just resumed where it left off. I wish they had said somewhere that you can still play the VC/WiiWare games you already downloaded to the SD card, you don't have to like copy them to the system memory or re-download them onto the WiiU.

So far I've only messed around with the menus, but I absolutely love the interface. The Miiverse rocks, and I am amazed by the little pictures people have been leaving in notes. I can't wait to actually play a game!

PS Miis look weird in HD

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Welp. Looks like I have a Wii U waiting for me, all I need to do is decide if I actually want to drop 350$ right now or not.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Unlucky7 posted:

Played about an hour of ZombiiU. It is rough, and the melee combat sucks, but it does have a certain "something" that I find admirable about it. Not sure if that is because I am trying to justify getting it, or if it really is a rough jem, but we shall see.

I'm about 5 hours into it and at this point melee combat just isn't something I see much of anymore. Usually I encounter groups of 3-5 zombies bunched together that you have to get more creative about. using your wits and limited resources to dispatch or sneak around them is more interesting and often required, especially when ammo is scarce. This is especially true when you meet some evolved infected.

Flares rule though.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Saw your post in the ID thread, but your ID comes up as not found in Miiverse, I think you need to load up your friend's list from the home menu or visit Miiverse once or something before people can start sending you friend requests.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Bombadilillo posted:

What's insane? You can download in background but not install in background. So you pick when you want to install. Makes sense to me. I guess they could have a install when done dling box you could tick.

It's insane because it takes another half-hour to install. I don't want to have to babysit my game downloads. 360 and Steam do this right with a minimal wait between finishing the download and playing the game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fatal posted:

It's insane because it takes another half-hour to install. I don't want to have to babysit my game downloads. 360 and Steam do this right with a minimal wait between finishing the download and playing the game.

Steam also halts all downloads while you're playing anything on Steam, which is the stupidest thing since forever. A while back you could bypass that but they "fixed" it. Also Steam insists on reinstalling DirectX etc. every game you install, and sometimes when a patch comes out. I'm mostly upset about this since it was an issue recently.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

Skunk Ape posted:

Saw your post in the ID thread, but your ID comes up as not found in Miiverse, I think you need to load up your friend's list from the home menu or visit Miiverse once or something before people can start sending you friend requests.

I hadn't configured my friends list yet. Try it again, it should be good to go. I just added everyone who plays Blops 2 on that list.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wow, the WiiU browser rules.

I just figured out that you can play youtube videos on your tv while checking other websites on the game pad.

Who knew Nintendo would get the browser to work so well.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

My ID is the same as my forums handle..InFlames235. Add me peeps! :)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Chronojam posted:

Steam also halts all downloads while you're playing anything on Steam, which is the stupidest thing since forever. A while back you could bypass that but they "fixed" it. Also Steam insists on reinstalling DirectX etc. every game you install, and sometimes when a patch comes out. I'm mostly upset about this since it was an issue recently.

ACTUALLY every single DirectX-using game is developed on a very specific version of DirectX, to a version-number-detail-level of like 3 decimal places and at least one letter. Since DirectX distributions are actually really lightweight and easy to distribute and install in parallel, and using even a slightly different version of DirectX than was developed for can be disastrous, Steam needs to install different parallel versions of DirectX for each game, because every game runs on its own specific build. :eng101:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

This argument is bullshit and always has been. It's not that graphics can't get better. It's that hiring enough artists to texture-map and model photorealistic graphics is too expensive to be profitable beyond a certain point. A AAA title costs so much to make now that its breakeven point is more units than it's ever been.

It's not about what's possible. It's about what's profitable.

More powerful hardware doesn't only mean better graphics. One success story of modern processing is real-time physics simulation. Another is large game worlds, particularly populated cities. There are subtle uses of processing power that can contribute to an experience, like the animation blending and dynamic damage systems in Left 4 Dead 2, and there are also more direct cases such as displaying a hundred players in an MMO.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fatal posted:

And nobody wants to get kicked out of a game when the WiiU starts to autoinstall when a download finishes. The choice is between playing during the 2 hour download or not playing anything and getting a 2 and a half hour and not having to press a button. It cannot install in background.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 23, 2012

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but Tank Tank Tank is the worst $50 game I have ever played. My brother impulse bought it without reading any reviews. We knew within one minute of loading up 4 player multiplayer that it was total garbage. This should have been a $5 downloadable minigame.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

systran posted:

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but Tank Tank Tank is the worst $50 game I have ever played. My brother impulse bought it without reading any reviews. We knew within one minute of loading up 4 player multiplayer that it was total garbage. This should have been a $5 downloadable minigame.

I watched the Giantbomb quicklook, and in the first couple minutes before the actual gameplay started, I thought I was going to be looking at Earth Defense Force Tanks edition. Then they actually started playing and it was all :smith:

Hell, I might have been enticed to buy it had even borne a resemblance to Battletanx, but no, just a turd here, move along.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Toady posted:

More powerful hardware doesn't only mean better graphics. One success story of modern processing is real-time physics simulation. Another is large game worlds, particularly populated cities. There are subtle uses of processing power that can contribute to an experience, like the animation blending and dynamic damage systems in Left 4 Dead 2, and there are also more direct cases such as displaying a hundred players in an MMO.
Yeah, someone pointed out that, for example, Star Wars 1313 doesn't look all that more detailed what can be done on current/last/whatever gen, and that it's nothing you couldn't scale back on at port to the 360. On the other hand, there are little details that really stand out. The way the characters' clothes move and deform with their bodies, for one. Compare that to The Last of Us (undoubtedly one of the best looking games of the 7th gen) where Joel's clothes stick to him like static textures.

It will be interesting to see what more processing power will let developers do when Orbis and Durango are out. The power disparity in 7th gen consoles put the Wii developers at a significant disadvantage because some games simply wouldn't function even in pared back versions on the hardware. I think one thing that will determine the long term success of the Wii U is whether parity in game function can be achieved even with less detailed graphics--and that depends largely on what developers do with the extra power and whether consumers make those games profitable.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
At the risk of being "that guy," what's the profit to be had on a deluxe kit if I decide to flip the one that is left here at the local wal mart?

Came close to doing it the other night when I bought our christmas system.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Toady posted:

Dude I just put you on probation for posting off-topic crap in here and you're at it again. Drop it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

LaserWash posted:

At the risk of being "that guy," what's the profit to be had on a deluxe kit if I decide to flip the one that is left here at the local wal mart?

Not the place to ask, go check Craigslist or something.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LaserWash posted:

Donate a Wii-U to a family going through troublesome times and become Goon of the Year.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Donate a Wii-U to a family going through troublesome times and become Goon of the Year.
This is the best choice.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

LaserWash posted:

The supply is so plentiful that it'd be more worth your time spent washing dishes at mcdonalds

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

LaserWash posted:

About 10 minutes ago I was in the right place at the right time at the local Walmart and I watched the electronics dude open a box with 2 regular and 2 deluxe systems. I immediately told him I would take a deluxe unit . As he was ringing it up, I thought back to my earlier search for consoles today where people were selling them for $450 - $600 on ebay/craigslist. I asked the dude if there was a limit on how many I could buy, he just shrugged and said "Buy as many as you want."

Then I thought back to how annoyed I was that people were buying these drat things just to flip them for a profit. Don't be that guy.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Dude I just put you on probation for posting off-topic crap in here and you're at it again. Drop it.

It wasn't my intent to be off-topic. I was specifically responding to the conversation people were having about the Wii U's processing power.

Chaltab posted:

It will be interesting to see what more processing power will let developers do when Orbis and Durango are out. The power disparity in 7th gen consoles put the Wii developers at a significant disadvantage because some games simply wouldn't function even in pared back versions on the hardware. I think one thing that will determine the long term success of the Wii U is whether parity in game function can be achieved even with less detailed graphics--and that depends largely on what developers do with the extra power and whether consumers make those games profitable.

If the Wii U can offer must-have games next year, and if it can leverage its streaming capability outside of gaming (Microsoft recently said that more hours are spent streaming video than playing games on the 360), then it's possible that the cheaper price and longer time on market will put Nintendo in a strong position. There are rumors of a $400-500 price point for those upcoming consoles.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Yeah, my better judgement got me both times. I feel like an rear end for asking now.

I'm like a little 33 year old boy waiting for Christmas and the new smb.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was sort-of planning on getting a Wii U eventually, but a deluxe unit fell into my lap while shopping last night and I had to go for it. So yay, I'm an early console adopter for the first time ever!

Quick questions:

- Am I correct in assuming that there is no difference between the Wii U-branded remotes and the later Wii remotes (that have "Wii motion plus inside" printed at the bottom)? Then I figure there's also the Wiimotion+ dongle for the old remotes, but I was just wondering if the two linked above were literally the exact same hardware. Shopping online turns up a ton of results so I want to be sure I'm looking for the right thing going into this.

- Does the Wii ethernet adapter actually give you an ethernet-based connection, or does it just convert it to some kind of WiFi signal with the same limitations. I have WiFi available but I was wondering the ethernet adapter would make things perform better.

- It's Black Friday, and I haven't kept up on Wii U deals since I didn't expect to have one today. Any can't-miss accessory deals we should know about?

EDIT: re-worded second question to make sense.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 24, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

- Am I correct in assuming that there is no difference between the Wii U-branded remotes and the later Wii remotes (that have "Wii motion plus inside" printed at the bottom)? Then I figure there's also the Wiimotion+ dongle for the old remotes, but I was just wondering if the two linked above were literally the exact same hardware. Shopping online turns up a whole of results so I want to be sure I'm looking for the right thing going into this.

You are correct. They're just second generation Wiimotes in WiiU boxes. They didn't even push up the price.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Minidust posted:

- Am I correct in assuming that there is no difference between the Wii U-branded remotes and the later Wii remotes (that have "Wii motion plus inside" printed at the bottom)? Then I figure there's also the Wiimotion+ dongle for the old remotes, but I was just wondering if the two linked above were literally the exact same hardware. Shopping online turns up a ton of results so I want to be sure I'm looking for the right thing going into this.

Yes you are correct in your assumption about the remotes. However Toys R Us has a game that comes with Wii Remote Plus controllers for $20ish which is cheap and your best bet to get them.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870696&prodFindSrc=search

If you go in store you can get more than one, they had 5 or so at TRU here.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Random Stranger posted:

You are correct. They're just second generation Wiimotes in WiiU boxes. They didn't even push up the price.
Aha!

flyboi posted:

Yes you are correct in your assumption about the remotes. However Toys R Us has a game that comes with Wii Remote Plus controllers for $20ish which is cheap and your best bet to get them.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870696&prodFindSrc=search

If you go in store you can get more than one, they had 5 or so at TRU here.
Ooh thanks for this. Is that their usual price or some kinda Black Friday special? I'll probably just get one so I can have the rest in different colors.:kiddo:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Minidust posted:

Ooh thanks for this. Is that their usual price or some kinda Black Friday special?

They're clearing out the game I believe. People say the game is on clearance but dunno

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Underwhelmed posted:

I watched the Giantbomb quicklook, and in the first couple minutes before the actual gameplay started, I thought I was going to be looking at Earth Defense Force Tanks edition. Then they actually started playing and it was all :smith:

Hell, I might have been enticed to buy it had even borne a resemblance to Battletanx, but no, just a turd here, move along.

They did a preview of the game with one of the creators and I felt bad because it looked so awful and everyone had to pretend to be excited.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Another cool thing about the Flingsmash bundle is that it comes with Club Nintendo points. If you care about that. I'm compelled to get a pair of Mario hand towels for reasons beyond my understanding.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Minidust posted:

Aha!
Ooh thanks for this. Is that their usual price or some kinda Black Friday special? I'll probably just get one so I can have the rest in different colors.:kiddo:

Flingsmash has been available cheaply for a while now. I got it at that price before Skyward Sword came out so I'd have a good Wiimote for it. Since no one wants more copies of Flingsmash (it's okay, but no better than that) I bought one of the WiiU branded ones a few days ago so I could have a few different colors as Wiimotes got passed around at parties.

Another alternative is that Red Steel 2 has a Wiimotion Plus attachment with it and often can be found cheaply. Also, it's a decent game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Alright, Im about 5 hours into Assasians Creed 3 and its time for some early impressions.

I havent played 3 on other systems but compared to the last 4 games on other consoles this is visually amazing. Its smooth as butter. I don't know what framerate issues people were talking about in some reviews because its very good on my WiiU. I have completely gotten use to the analog sticks and button placement which is odd for sure.

WiiU functionality. You can tell this is a port. There is some quick button stuff with the gamepad but some weird admissions as well. What I was most excited for and is there is a huge map that just adds so much more then the normal minimap. However you control the map with analog sticks, its a no brainer that it should be touch scollable. In fact Id like to be able to scoll it without pausing to a menu at all. These are lessons to be learned with ports.

Also putting it to gamepad only display is hidden in a deep dark menu, there really should be a universal or 'standard' for this so you dont have to dig for it.

So there you go, pretty game, really smooth and nice though I cant compare to other consoles, only better then last game on ps3 for whatever thats worth.

P.S. I cannot stress enough how much I love the idea of a huge map. If any game comes out cross platform and the only difference is a larger better minimap on the gamepad I will get it on WiiU. I'd prefer fully functional, scoll and zoom and everything while in game. But just being able to plot a route across 3-4 blocks without having to pause the game is worth it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm thinking of getting Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and Scribblenauts Unlimited but I want to know if they both have Gamepad only capabilities. If not, I'll probably still pick them up but I've fallen in love with Gamepad only functionality on games.

• Locked thread