Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

dtb posted:

It's a pretty small community where almost everyone knows each other.
I personally don't like being the topic of gossip, so maybe it would bother me more than the average goon. But there's nothing worse for a girl than her side of the story being that they're almost in a relationship and the guy playing dumb like he has no idea what anyone is talking about.

Well it depends on the situation. If your living at the school, not working, and 90% of your friends are all people who go to the school then yeah you might want to worry about who you date. However, if you live off campus, have a job, and a life outside of school then who cares if you date someone in your class because your not really part of the school scene. Thats how it was for me, though I never tried to date any of the girls because they were all either Nuns, or awful Vietnamese students who mostly just pissed everyone in class off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

HappyHelmet posted:

Well it depends on the situation. If your living at the school, not working, and 90% of your friends are all people who go to the school then yeah you might want to worry about who you date. However, if you live off campus, have a job, and a life outside of school then who cares if you date someone in your class because your not really part of the school scene. Thats how it was for me, though I never tried to date any of the girls because they were all either Nuns, or awful Vietnamese students who mostly just pissed everyone in class off.

That was my situation. I was a teacher primarily, just taking this for my own personal benefit, with my own group of friends outside of school. I didn't hang out with classmates or do the whole social thing there, I was just there to learn Chinese, and apparently get a girlfriend.

It worked!

(My wife is Vietnamese)

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Ravendas posted:

That was my situation. I was a teacher primarily, just taking this for my own personal benefit, with my own group of friends outside of school. I didn't hang out with classmates or do the whole social thing there, I was just there to learn Chinese, and apparently get a girlfriend.

It worked!

(My wife is Vietnamese)

Ha! I didn't mean for that to come off as a slight against Vietnamese people or anything. Just the students at my school from Vietnam were seriously bad. Like pop open their laptop and start playing youtube videos (out loud without headphones while the teacher was trying to teach), taking photos of people without asking during class, or answering their cellphone and starting conversations while not bothering to leave the classroom bad. To make matters worse this was in a class of about 8 people so it wasn't even like they were hiding it at all.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

HappyHelmet posted:

Ha! I didn't mean for that to come off as a slight against Vietnamese people or anything. Just the students at my school from Vietnam were seriously bad. Like pop open their laptop and start playing youtube videos (out loud without headphones while the teacher was trying to teach), taking photos of people without asking during class, or answering their cellphone and starting conversations while not bothering to leave the classroom bad. To make matters worse this was in a class of about 8 people so it wasn't even like they were hiding it at all.

I didn't mean you were implying anything, it's fine. There are dicks from all around the world. That teacher really should have done something though.

Once my wife was walking to work when some guys on a scooter blew past her, yelling something rather rude in Vietnamese (here in Taiwan). They then got stopped at a red light, and she ran up to them to yell at them in Vietnamese that they're representing their country while here, so stop being such douches. They had no idea she was Vietnamese when they rode past her.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
It's November, does anyone want to take on the awesome responsibility for arranging Secret Santa?

Options:

SARSS: Special Admin Region Secret Santa (HK&TW - just admit it already)
MANDOSS: CN/HK/TW SS
AllThePopSS: Mando-Pop, J-pop, K-pop SS

Which ever option we should choose pretty soon, and we should probably check out the other threads to see what's up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'd rather just do a TSS Party. Someone randomizes who is who and then we have a party to exchange gifts.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
ARSSE: Asia Region Secret Santa Extravaganza

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

Let's just call it the Japan CoProsperity Sphere and be done with it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Voting this

E: do we have a tw thread represents who can announce in the other Asia region threads. (hi SB35 & Caberham)

url fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 2, 2012

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Does that mean me too?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

DontAskKant posted:

Does that mean me too?

i'd assume so, but i'm not volunteering to arrange it :p

also:

thanks to those of you that came to my one year thing.

I'm not sure how, why, or when I got home, but I did.
I have no memory, no phone, but no bruises, scars or tattoos.
There was cash in my pocket when I woke up.

On balance, I'm gonna call that a win.

:)

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

url posted:

i'd assume so, but i'm not volunteering to arrange it :p

also:

thanks to those of you that came to my one year thing.

I'm not sure how, why, or when I got home, but I did.
I have no memory, no phone, but no bruises, scars or tattoos.
There was cash in my pocket when I woke up.

On balance, I'm gonna call that a win.

:)

Look for credit card receipts and keep an eye on the mailbox for the statement ;)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My 3 year cellphone contract is finally about to expire. What are some decent phones available at reasonable prices? Right now, I'm pretty happy with my Motorola Xoom tablet, so Android is probably what I'm going to stick with. I'm basically completely uninterested in an iPhone. So, what are the Taiwan goon recommendations? How do plans and pricing work out here?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Haraksha posted:

My 3 year cellphone contract is finally about to expire. What are some decent phones available at reasonable prices? Right now, I'm pretty happy with my Motorola Xoom tablet, so Android is probably what I'm going to stick with. I'm basically completely uninterested in an iPhone. So, what are the Taiwan goon recommendations? How do plans and pricing work out here?
2-year contract, varying amounts taken off the phone price based on your plan. Quicktip: generally just pick the plan that suits you best, after you do the math, they generally come out to the same end price anyway. (still, do the math)

I'm proooooobably going to stick with ios and get a 5 myself, but I have to say the Galaxy Note is super tempting with its loving Wacom-style stylus that gives me mega boners. I'd go for that if I went android despite the sour looks I'd get from some people for it being a Samsung device, or maybe because of the boners, or both.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
The short:
Samsung S3 or HTC One X. Or Samsung S2 for a more 'budget' option.
The phone thread in Inspect Your Gadgets is pretty decent if you want more depth.

For plans and pricing: Like duckfarts said it's generally 2+ years, you pay a chunk for the subsidized phone upfront, and another chunk to prepay 5 months of service worth or so. I calculated mine out and I think my phone + plan were ~35k over the life of the 30 month contract. Unlimited data, a few free minutes a month, but also for me at least the first 3 minutes of every call are free, which is quite nice since few calls require much more than that. As a foreigner some carriers might want a deposit from you.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

USDA Choice posted:

The short:
Samsung S3 or HTC One X. Or Samsung S2 for a more 'budget' option.
The phone thread in Inspect Your Gadgets is pretty decent if you want more depth.

For plans and pricing: Like duckfarts said it's generally 2+ years, you pay a chunk for the subsidized phone upfront, and another chunk to prepay 5 months of service worth or so. I calculated mine out and I think my phone + plan were ~35k over the life of the 30 month contract. Unlimited data, a few free minutes a month, but also for me at least the first 3 minutes of every call are free, which is quite nice since few calls require much more than that. As a foreigner some carriers might want a deposit from you.
There's a thing where you pay for a year's worth of service upfront - this is normal and not a foreigner deposit(might have a separate one, ymmv). Basically, you end up getting 0 NT phone bills for a year(provided you don't go over a normal monthly amount) then get normal ones after that.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
One X+ would be the newest kid on the block (it outperforms the One X by a good margin). LG Optimus 4X HD is supposed to be very very good too.

This list is only current until September and doesn't include the One X+

I'm going to be refurbishing my One X soon to go for a Nokia 920 windows thingy.
(I got my One X on launch day and it developed 2 yellow spots after a couple of months). Great handset in every respect though. My last HTC HD2 was as solid as a rock too.

fwiw: I bought my phone unlocked (25K at the time i think) and then negotiated with Taiwan Mobile separately I think I pay either 600 or 800 pcm with unlimited data, but, I make gently caress all calls (intl only) and will SMS/LINE/SKYPE/WhatsApp pretty much exclusively.

I don't get upset at my bills.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Could you fry an egg on the One X+ too? The One X's battery gets hotter than Satan's cockhole if you actually start using it for anything more stressful than web browsing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I honestly don't need a phone that's all that powerful. A media player and webfunction more or less do it for me. It will probably get more use as a wifi hub for my tablet than anything else.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Haraksha posted:

I honestly don't need a phone that's all that powerful. A media player and webfunction more or less do it for me. It will probably get more use as a wifi hub for my tablet than anything else.

If that's all you need and you want to Wi-Fi tether, consider a Razr Maxx. It has a fuckoff-huge battery and does other smartphoney things decently enough. The gigantor battery lets you tether for a lot longer since that absolutely murders battery. If you're gonna be tethering around power anyway I'd go a little cheaper with an S2 or One S.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

USDA Choice posted:

If that's all you need and you want to Wi-Fi tether, consider a Razr Maxx. It has a fuckoff-huge battery and does other smartphoney things decently enough. The gigantor battery lets you tether for a lot longer since that absolutely murders battery. If you're gonna be tethering around power anyway I'd go a little cheaper with an S2 or One S.

I think I'd rather go with a lovely battery and a somewhat decent Android experience over a feature phone. Plus, I'm an incredibly clumsy individual and anything that flips or slides is guaranteed to spring out of my hands and crash into the ground or underneath the feet of a hundred Taiwanese train passengers.

The wifi will likely be used in situations where I'm away from home for extended periods, but will usually also have access to power outlets. For instance, if I'm going to be staying with my girlfriend's family, I'd probably stick my phone in the corner of their family grocery store and sit at the entrance with my tablet, surfing the web and being a curious amusement for the southern locals.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Is $5000 too expensive for an out-of-the-box, no-contract phone? That's what I paid for my Xperia x8, and it can do what you're looking for.. My battery lasts about a day (I have unlimited data so I keep 3G on and stream podcasts on it all the time) and it can't run apps more demanding than Angry Birds, but other than that it's a nice lil' phone.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Could you fry an egg on the One X+ too? The One X's battery gets hotter than Satan's cockhole if you actually start using it for anything more stressful than web browsing.

USDA mentioned this the other day too, its warm because y'know its working, but I don't think its much warmer than anything else I put under stress. Laptop get scarey hot for example. That said, I don't game. Mainly rdp and stuff in that ilk.

Tbh, an iPhone might fit Haraksha's needs. Its not android, but, I'm not enamored by Android yet.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Especially since tethering works out of the box here with no need for extra carrier approval on iOS, at least in my case.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
If I read your post right, I think you may be confusing the recent RAZR MAXX (dumbest name ever...) with the Razr from 2004 or whatever. I have no idea why they branded it a RAZR, I thought they were rebooting flip phones at first too, but it's a regular wide-and-flat touchscreen phone just like almost all recent handsets, and it runs Android 4.0. The screen and internals aren't super high-end so it's not some market beater, but it is definitely worthy of a look and is the battery phone.

Tethering should work out of the box on Android phones in Taiwan too.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Especially since tethering works out of the box here with no need for extra carrier approval on iOS, at least in my case.
Yup; go nuts! I tethered my netbook a bunch of times and it's been super helpful, and I've downloaded gigs of poo poo that way before too. I just wish 3G service/speed was more reliable here.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

USDA Choice posted:

If I read your post right, I think you may be confusing the recent RAZR MAXX (dumbest name ever...) with the Razr from 2004 or whatever. I have no idea why they branded it a RAZR, I thought they were rebooting flip phones at first too, but it's a regular wide-and-flat touchscreen phone just like almost all recent handsets, and it runs Android 4.0. The screen and internals aren't super high-end so it's not some market beater, but it is definitely worthy of a look and is the battery phone.

Tethering should work out of the box on Android phones in Taiwan too.

Yeah, I've got a One X, and I use it to tether my netbook when I'm out and about. Just plug it in via USB and it auto-does it, probably takes a click or two longer via wireless.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

My iPhone 5 just arrived in the mail yesterday (unlocked GSM from a buddy in Australia). This is replacing my Galaxy Nexus. I'm sorry, but the multi-lingual text input support on Android is worse than Windows 95 and the virtual keyboard on Android and its auto-correct nearly caused me to throw it out of the window on numerous occasions. The camera was the best phone camera I'd ever had but the rest was the worst. Seriously hatted that POS.

RIM will come out with CrackBerry 10 in January and HTC has some Windows 8 phones out now. If you don't want iPhone because of religious reasons you should do your due diligence on those options before just default buying an Android.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I've never found Chinese input to be a problem of any sort on my One X. :shrug:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TetsuoTW posted:

Agreed. Google Pinyin keyboard and Swype keyboard work great for me. In fact, Swype does Chinese too for a quick word or two. If I'm going to write out a long message I switch to the Google Pinyin keyboard.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I haven't tried it on a phone, but the input on my tablet is excellent. Google Pinyin is itself a fantastic system. The predictive text for characters is amazingly accurate. For English, I just turn it off. That way, when I type Chinese, I just type the raw letters and omit the tone numbers and Google figures it out on its own (even displaying a couple of options in case the most likely combination of those sounds doesn't produce the characters I want). And when I type in English, it strictly selects the letters I want and doesn't screw around with any corrections.

Plus, I can switch to the native Motorola input and its handwriting recognition software. That poo poo is amazing. It's great practice for stroke-order.

Choices are pretty cool.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, really. My wife and I text in Chinese every time, and it's never been a problem using pinyin. Turned off auto-word complete for when I'm lazy and just using pinyin and not characters, and I've got no complaints.

Wasn't even hard to set up, it was just an option there in the menu to turn on characters written in pinyin.

Hell, the voice recognizer takes my Chinese down pretty well too.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
My Chinese isn't fantastic, but honestly I usually just voice-to-text my chinese.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, each individual language input is fine

Just as long as you only speak one language and never have to switch which one you're using.

These days I'm switching between English, Japanese, Chinese and Portuguese.

Sorry, but iPhone wins hands down, just push a button to cycle, or click and hold for a menu to go direct to the one you want. Android however.. Pull down form the HUD, click language input, wait, wait, click the language you want, wait some more, and now you can type. It doesn't sound that different, but in practice it's a pain in the rear end..

And again, watch out for that virtual home key when you're trying to hit the spacebar.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I guess you got a lovely phone or something, because at least on both of my phones it literally has been just press one button to cycle between English, Chinese handwriting, and Chinese keyboard. Admittedly I haven't added any other languages in, so maybe once you get past two it sucks, but I've never had to go through that convoluted process since swapping out zhuyin for pinyin.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

dtb posted:

Yeah, each individual language input is fine

Just as long as you only speak one language and never have to switch which one you're using.

These days I'm switching between English, Japanese, Chinese and Portuguese.

Sorry, but iPhone wins hands down, just push a button to cycle, or click and hold for a menu to go direct to the one you want. Android however.. Pull down form the HUD, click language input, wait, wait, click the language you want, wait some more, and now you can type. It doesn't sound that different, but in practice it's a pain in the rear end..

And again, watch out for that virtual home key when you're trying to hit the spacebar.

Maybe you used an old version of Android? Android has literally the exact same functionality as the iOS, tap to cycle or tap and hold to choose. And I've never hit the home key going for space bar, it's pretty well-sized.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, I'm not sure what interface you're using. On my tablet, so long as I have a cursor, there's a miniature keyboard down in the bottom of the screen. Tapping that brings up a list of my installed inputs, which can each be individually customized.

The built-in Motorola keyboard has its own input button that lets me swap between zhuyin, pinyin, and hand-writing. The only minor annoyance is that I have to select pinyin and then switch from Chinese to English. I can't go from hand-writing straight to English in the Motorola Input. But there'd be nothing stopping me from going from Motorola Chinese to Japanese, for instance.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Chiming in to agree with the "dtb either had a weird version or didn't know how to use it" line.

I flip between English and Chinese with the press of a little button on the on-screen keyboard on my One X. I can even flip between oral dictation in English or Chinese just as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Galaxy Nexus running 4.1 now.
I'd love to see a screenshot of this magical one button approach that you're describing.
I think you have an iPhone because that's how it works on iOS ;)