Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Other than Sorcery which I don't like because it's boring I think Pyromancer is the easiest start. You just throw fireballs and poo poo dies, what's tricky?

Well it took me a while to realize that locking on was a must when using the fire. In addition the hand axe is hard to use. It is so freaking slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

What do you lose if you use the abyss greatsword without meeting the faith/int reqs? It doesn't have any magic damage with it at all.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What do you lose if you use the abyss greatsword without meeting the faith/int reqs? It doesn't have any magic damage with it at all.

You will deal regular damage, but every single hit will bounce off your target as if you'd hit a shielding person, basically.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thievery posted:

Do me a favour and video yourself fighting Ornstein and Smough for the first, second, third, fourth, and any other times it takes until you finally beat them.

:argh:

The worst part of this is that I was running a build that should have made them a cakewalk (high END shield tanking) but I thought I couldn't block Smough at all due to his size, so kept trying to dodge and getting killed. Turns out that know, you can do it just fine, and suddenly it's a cakewalk.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Jan posted:

You will deal regular damage, but every single hit will bounce off your target as if you'd hit a shielding person, basically.

Booo. I wanted to flip around but I dont want to get 14 extra levels just to use it and then not be able to white phantom. Although I have trouble with that anyway cause I'm level 50 and show up as naked on my summon sign.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Other than Sorcery which I don't like because it's boring I think Pyromancer is the easiest start. You just throw fireballs and poo poo dies, what's tricky?
Running out of fireballs?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:argh:

The worst part of this is that I was running a build that should have made them a cakewalk (high END shield tanking) but I thought I couldn't block Smough at all due to his size, so kept trying to dodge and getting killed. Turns out that know, you can do it just fine, and suddenly it's a cakewalk.
Figuring that out was what finally allowed me to beat the Capra Demon for the first time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

For some reason the framerate seems to be capped at 15. I'm using that dfix thing but looking through the settings it doesn't seem like anything's ticked that would do that. Help?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

redmercer posted:

Guys, I think the whole "Pinwheel is hard" thing is a bit of a jape, as they say.

Anyway, finally got 'em down solo. Sorceries are a lot more useful in the second part of the battle, when you can actually time them and not catch a spear and/or hammer for your troubles. Incidentally, I didn't get a single rotten humanity from my signs so either that's another mystery of multiplayer, or else y'alls a bunch of dicks.

I was trying!!! t:mad:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is Ash Lake something I'm going to learn about, or is it a standalone little thing? Because I think I see archtrees and thick clouds, but I also think that I should be approximately 500 feet underground at this point, and even if the huge elevation changes outside of the main Lordran area account for the 500 feet, I didn't see any Archtrees out there when I saw the hollow from the graveyard.

The whole world is supported on those trees, above the clouds. You walk out of the Great Hollow, and the other tree with the everlasting dragon in it is the tree supporting Lordran (the top of it is where the raven drops you off after the tutorial).

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Thinking about picking this up but i do not have a gamepad. Is the game worth it with a mouse and keyboard?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's manageable, but much worse. Sinking an extra $20 for some Logitech PS2 copycat along with this thing is completely worth it, though.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Econosaurus posted:

Thinking about picking this up but i do not have a gamepad. Is the game worth it with a mouse and keyboard?

No,it really isn't.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Okay, my the fps in this game is weird. My gpu doesn't meet the recommended specs, but if I don't use that dfix thing I can usually get 30 FPS, but the framerate will drop randomly then go back up to 30.

Also, I just got to the outside area and met a paladin-type dude. Learning miracles from him requires joining his covenant, which will abandon my current. Do I, from the start of the game, already have a covenant?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 23, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Considering making my first run on the PC version of the game to be a Legend of Zelda run... following progression, of course.

1. Forest
2. Lava
3. Water
4. Shadow
5. Midpoint
6. Ruins
7. Ice
8. Spirit

(Alternatively:

1. Darkroot Garden (Includes Sif)
2. Demon Ruins through Ceaseless Discharge + gathering collectibles
3. New Londo Ruins
4. Catacombs
5. Anor Londo
6. Lost Izalith
7. Duke's Archive
8. Tomb of Giants

Then the Kiln.)

All done in a recolored/textured Leather Armor, "Hylian" Tower Kite Shield, wielding and Astora's Straight Sword.

At one point, changing it to a retextured Mirror Shield as the Grass Crest and wielding the Claymore. BIGGORON

Dickweasel Alpha fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 23, 2012

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Considering making my first run on the PC version of the game to be a Legend of Zelda run... following progression, of course.

1. Forest
2. Lava
3. Water
4. Shadow
5. Midpoint
6. Ruins
7. Ice
8. Spirit

(Alternatively:

1. Darkroot Garden (Includes Sif)
2. Demon Ruins through Ceaseless Discharge + gathering collectibles
3. New Londo Ruins
4. Catacombs
5. Anor Londo
6. Lost Izalith
7. Duke's Archive
8. Tomb of Giants

Then the Kiln.)

All done in a recolored/textured Leather Armor, "Hylian" Tower Kite Shield, wielding and Astora's Straight Sword.

At one point, changing it to a retextured Mirror Shield as the Grass Crest and wielding the Claymore. BIGGORON

Upload it and email everything to Nintendo.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Genocyber posted:

Okay, my the fps in this game is weird. My gpu doesn't meet the recommended specs, but if I don't use that dfix thing I can usually get 30 FPS, but the framerate will drop randomly then go back up to 30.

Also, I just got to the outside area and met a paladin-type dude. Learning miracles from him requires joining his covenant, which will abandon my current. Do I, from the start of the game, already have a covenant?

I think the only covenant you can belong to from the start is the Way of the White, the one he's asking you to join. You can leave without much repercussions, too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I made this for the Steam thread:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Great Fireball (only aimed at the ground), Iron Flesh, and Homeward for the three respective spells?

Also, you have to use firebombs to open Illusory Walls. No alternatives.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Econosaurus posted:

Buy a wired 360 controller. It's worth the money.

Palpek posted:

I made this for the Steam thread:

Accurate. Accurate down to that awesome co-op phantom on the left.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Nahxela posted:

Great Fireball (only aimed at the ground), Iron Flesh, and Homeward for the three respective spells?

Also, you have to use firebombs to open Illusory Walls. No alternatives.
Firestorm, Homeward, and Iron Flesh. The Orange Charred Ring needs to in some way make the green tunic red, and I want to see if it's possible to combine item attributes so I could, say, make the Abyss Ring constantly apply Iron Flesh... And I can wear a pair of iron boots to go with it :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just started the game and beat the prison demon at the start and my hands are shaking. This never happened to me since 1993 when i played doom. Is this normal? I mean, I just beat a "big" monster right at the start of the game after three tries and i feel like i did something. Holy poo poo.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Guillermus posted:

I just started the game and beat the prison demon at the start and my hands are shaking. This never happened to me since 1993 when i played doom. Is this normal? I mean, I just beat a "big" monster right at the start of the game after three tries and i feel like i did something. Holy poo poo.

You are gonna love this game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Guillermus posted:

Before or after you got your equipment back? :colbert:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Almost beat Bed of Chaos on my first try but got swept off the path to the creamy center by a branch hand. gently caress this boss. It's garbage.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

p.crestmont posted:

The whole world is supported on those trees, above the clouds. You walk out of the Great Hollow, and the other tree with the everlasting dragon in it is the tree supporting Lordran (the top of it is where the raven drops you off after the tutorial).

Doesn't the raven drop you off at Firelink? Firelink is very, very far away from the Everlasting Dragon and his tree.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dreggon posted:

Doesn't the raven drop you off at Firelink? Firelink is very, very far away from the Everlasting Dragon and his tree.

Yeah but you can see the great hollow from Firelink.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

muike posted:

Almost beat Bed of Chaos on my first try but got swept off the path to the creamy center by a branch hand. gently caress this boss. It's garbage.
That's the only real "hard" part. It's particularly annoying because it doesn't feel hard - it just feels like bullshit when you nearly land in the right place, but nearlys don't count.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I landed on it alright, and I was nearly in the safe zone underneath the Doom Tree itself, but it swept me off right as I was about to step onto tile instead of root.

Aug 24, 2011

I wonder - if you use one of those hack programs that make you never die, whether or not you can jump off Firelink to land in Blighttown. You'd need actual invincibility as opposed to just unmovable HP, but it would be awesome.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

muike posted:

Yeah but you can see the great hollow from Firelink.

You can see loads of the world from everywhere. It's really cool.

A few I can think of

Tomb of the Giants looks down upon Lost Izalith,
Darkroot Basin is above the Valley of the Drakes, which maybe lends more significance to where you end up fighting Kalameet than I realised until just now,
This is an obvious one but you can look down from the Hellkite bridge to Undeadburg. I have gone through that zone almost a hundred times and it wasn't until I was standing at the bottom, looking up at how loving huge this place was, I realised it was my destination. :downs:

Edit - Can you see anything from Firelink? I don't know, you can make out a tree but there's no guarant(r)ee it's the hollow. I couldn't see any of Blighttown anyway, i'm just roaming and exploring bits I can look off.

You can see down from the Catacombs entrance to a whole new lower-city that looks pretty cool.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 24, 2012

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Vashro posted:

No,it really isn't.

Can we stop putting off new players with this? Yes, the game is playable with KB+M if you have the mouse fix, I've been doing it for 130 hours and have been met with better success than any of the times I've played with a gamepad. If it's what you're used to it's totally usable, but telling everyone that you need to make another $20-30 investment to play this game isn't doing the community any favors, and if it weren't for the testimonial of a few people in here saying that KB+M controls were indeed usable, I probably wouldn't even own the game right now.

Aug 24, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

Can we stop putting off new players with this? Yes, the game is playable with KB+M if you have the mouse fix, I've been doing it for 130 hours and have been met with better success than any of the times I've played with a gamepad. If it's what you're used to it's totally usable, but telling everyone that you need to make another $20-30 investment to play this game isn't doing the community any favors, and if it weren't for the testimonial of a few people in here saying that KB+M controls were indeed usable, I probably wouldn't even own the game right now.

Yep, you can absolutely do it with KB+M. I've also been doing this for 130 hours (you are literally me :stare:) and the mouse fix isn't essential either - just highly useful. The main difference is how the mouse movement is calculated - the base install of Dark Souls treats any mouse movement as a fixed amount of mouse movement, so if you move your mouse to the left for 2 seconds, it doesn't matter whether you move it one centimeter or ten centimeters - the camera will pan the same amount. The mouse fix changes it to work like mouses actually work.

Hell, the major turn-off for me was GFWL, but I decided screw it, I've been wanting to play this game for a while and dammit I am going to enjoy it. No regrets.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Just imagine how good the game would be with proper mouse input, though. Add in a block-lock feature and you would be able to move in one direction, block in another direction, while looking in a third direction.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I'm never going to finish this game now; after Anor Londo, everything feels so boring. I get the lord souls, start the Kiln of the first flame, and make a new character. Things just feel more intense before you have a build properly going, bumbling around like a chump. Is NG+ more interesting? I'm making my way through the DLC now, and expecting good things.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Pretty good stream up.

http://www.twitch.tv/chasmcgill

Aug 24, 2011

Did Mab ever finish?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Dreggon posted:

Did Mab ever finish?

Last I saw, the Obsidian sword broke him, but his manly lesson still rings true in our hearts. MAN MODE.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Although our heroes may fall, we carry the torchgreatswords, zwolehandlers, and halbreads in their memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Every time he dies and makes that sigh it reminds of me when I'm playing.

• Locked thread