Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Push the stuffing into the sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mediaphage posted:

What're you guys going to do with all that ham? I mean, you could make soup with the turkey or something.

employee cafeteria.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Thanks, TheRattle. Unfortunately, the thread is getting le dead, because I'm not sure if anyone's willing to explain how to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts or whatever. XD

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Gourd of Taste posted:

Father in law has a special place in my heart for pulling aside and apologizing for the meat filled turkey

I have never had meat filled turkey.. why is this a bad thing??

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I have never had meat filled turkey.. why is this a bad thing??

because the stuffing soaks with Turkey juice and the Turkey juice has to cook to a certain temperature and since it's denser than a neutron star and at the center of a Turkey it has to heat long past when most of the bird would be edible

except for gravy, that most powerful substance

my phone only recognizes Turkey as a country

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I have eaten all of the rolls, and drank all of the wine. I...I have no room for pie....

But I must...

I must...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wasted an hour looking around at the chaos that is Thursday night "Black Friday," trying to pick up Dance Central 3 on the cheap. Didn't work. Come home, get on Amazon, pick that up, AssCreed 3, and a thing for my sister, $70 odd. I'd say that's time well spent.

e - oh yeah, and this thing. My first red title, I feel pretty :allears:

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 23, 2012

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This is the first time both me and my bf have been doing a holiday meal on our own and it was a success! :kimchi:

Also my first time rendering kitchen gold.

Also, if anyone remembers my rant about my oven--well, I figured out how to keep it from going 200 degrees above the dial temperature.

Except for burning my thumb pretty badly on the cast iron, today was a success. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I ate the pie. Then there was coffee and liqueur all around. Now I've made it home and the only option is to build a fire a drink scotch until my body forgets how much gravy I imbibed.

Europeans never truly understand America until they've been to a good country thanksgiving, I think.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
This year's theme was "rustic". hosed up pie dough? Rustic Pecan Pie. Can't slice evenly? Roasted Rustic Root Vegetables. Gravy all over the table? Rustic Pilgrim and Native American Tablescape.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SYFY HYPHY posted:

This year's theme was "rustic". hosed up pie dough? Rustic Pecan Pie. Can't slice evenly? Roasted Rustic Root Vegetables. Gravy all over the table? Rustic Pilgrim and Native American Tablescape.
I'm going to remember that for the next time I gently caress up. "It's rustic."

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

That's been my excuse for improperly washed cutlery for a decade.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I blame you, GWS! I used to like and enjoy bad foods like carbonara made with just packet pasta and a jar of carbonara sauce. I can now barely stomach it.

I don't know whether this is good or bad. On one hand I immensely appreciate good food more now, but on the other I can't handle Sandra Lee style cooking any more.

Yay?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

syntaxfunction posted:

I blame you, GWS! I used to like and enjoy bad foods like carbonara made with just packet pasta and a jar of carbonara sauce. I can now barely stomach it.

I don't know whether this is good or bad. On one hand I immensely appreciate good food more now, but on the other I can't handle Sandra Lee style cooking any more.

Yay?
Our work here is done. :smug:

Yes, yay. You are not only eating food which tastes better, but because you can't stomach processed crap anymore you are also eating much more healthily.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

you are also eating much more healthily.

You don't add enough butter to your food.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Nonsense, butter is dairy and therefore full of calcium. Its practically a health food.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Kerrygold butter is basically a supplement for healthier living, if you ask me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Nonsense, butter is dairy and therefore full of calcium. Its practically a health food.

Paula Deen alt spotted

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

We had left over pumkin pie filling and the kids wanted to make muffins. I couldn't find any baking soda (my sister really doesnt cook) so we added pancake mix and tried to make muffins that way.

I told the kids to call them "Pumpkin Lumps" rather then muffins so they people's expectations were lower. They did turn out terrorable but the kids learned a valuable lession about managing expectations.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Gravy was a tad thick this year.

Added a wee too much golden roux to the bird juice.

There's a fine line between "thick and wonderful seasoned meat and veg juice" and "brown jello".

Doesn't help that I used a home made turkey stock that was scoopable jello when it was cool. As the gravy cooled, you could stand a spoon up in it.

Oh well. it's still tasty (and liquid if hot enough).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Gelatins! Good for your skin.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

We had left over pumkin pie filling and the kids wanted to make muffins. I couldn't find any baking soda (my sister really doesnt cook) so we added pancake mix and tried to make muffins that way.

I told the kids to call them "Pumpkin Lumps" rather then muffins so they people's expectations were lower. They did turn out terrorable but the kids learned a valuable lession about managing expectations.
Pumpkin Lumps really made me laugh.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Kerrygold butter is basically a supplement for healthier living, if you ask me.

Why do people like that Kerrygold? I think it is traded here at a discount, because of the quality..

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Hat posted:

Why do people like that Kerrygold? I think it is traded here at a discount, because of the quality..

It's probably the best butter thats widely available here. Of course, one of the things that makes it seem better (at least the salted kind) is that it has a higher salt content than domestic salted butter. But it also has more fat, and more flavor all around.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
I usually go for any "European" style butter that I can find, but Kerrygold is the most common. Cranberry sauce on pancakes for breakfast omnomnom

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Worked thanksgiving, working today. Got to the catering cart late so ate cold thanksgiving dinner alone at my desk. Wheeee.

edit: Make your own butter, it's super easy (if you can get good cream)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I woke up this morning feeling less miserable than I have since Monday. Throat's still sore, and I'm still hacking up sputum at a disturbing rate, but I'm not running a fever and things don't hurt as much as they did. I'm definitely drained, though; I showered and fixed breakfast and now I need a goddamn nap.

Maybe I'll do Thanksgiving on Sunday...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Instead of normal Thanksgiving, last night we got invited to local Chinese restaurant for a family style dinner with all the Sichuan foods. :getin: So much better than distant relatives and overcooked turkey.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Filboid Studge posted:

YLLS has more or less rejected low-carb (there is no longer permitted to be a thread for it) and is less doctrinal than it was. 'Eat like an adult' is the most common refrain there now.

But yes, as a community they do not need help with macronutrient splits any more than GWS needs help boiling eggs.
Yeah I meant that it could be a joint YLLS/GWS effort. YLLS could contribute nutritional input and GWS the culinary side.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

In the UK I think Kerrygold is seen as a pretty mass-market butter alongside Lurpak. The high-end stuff tends to be French. I've had some fantastic Normandy butter.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I usually use Waitrose Essential butter. It's OK, and much better than everything at the same price.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

mediaphage posted:

What're you guys going to do with all that ham? I mean, you could make soup with the turkey or something.

Sounds like a good thing to make a croque monsieur special.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I brought a jar of marmite from the UK. What should I do with it?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Bin that poo poo and get some vegemite

Oh ok then.. get some good heavy wholegrain bread, toast it dark, butter thickly and marmite thinly (like 1/2 tsp per slice).

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 24, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Marmite is extremely concentrated. Spread it super thin on bread. Tastes like beef and mushrooms. When I bought it a while back a goon suggested using it as a soup base.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yeah I'm mostly gonna use it for its umaminess, had some on toast right now. Spread thin, and it was quite salty. The lingering aftertaste is nice however.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

BlueGrot posted:

Yeah I'm mostly gonna use it for its umaminess, had some on toast right now. Spread thin, and it was quite salty. The lingering aftertaste is nice however.

When I was trapped in helmand for an extended period of time I bartered smokes and american rations to british soldiers for their meals. Inside the packs were tubes of vegemite, which I proceeded to mix with tuna fish and cheese whiz to make a sort of sandwich. I was so starved for flavor that the concoction was divine, when I got back to the states and made it again I almost vomited.

Hunger truly is the greatest sauce. I also still love vegemite.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Vegemite is good when spread very thick on toast. This is the One True Way. :colbert:

Marmite is really sweet, which is unusual to someone used to vegemite.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I will be making a marmite soup next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tonight we went to our regular Mexican place, and my butcher was there a few tables over. On his way out, he stops by my table, glances around suspiciously, and says "tomorrow morning, I have morcilla."

I'm going to be at his back entrance tomorrow before he opens to make sure I get my share. :ninja: