Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

redmercer posted:

I'm pretty sure the only Japanese quiz game that ever got released in English was Quiz and Dragons by Capcom; and that was arcade-only. Surprisingly, not too many translation groups are exactly champing at the bit to translate that shitload of text

Well, specifically the whole raising a kid until their adult more than the quiz thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

PureRok posted:

Well, specifically the whole raising a kid until their adult more than the quiz thing.

Princess Maker is probably the only child rasing game Ive ever heard of in english.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yea, I'd heard of that one, but apparently that game is only for creepy pedos or something?

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

PureRok posted:

Yea, I'd heard of that one, but apparently that game is only for creepy pedos or something?

Not at all.

(But if you are a creepy pedo, the game certainly gives you some opportunities to express it.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's a great LP of PM2 on the archive where the player makes the father an even more reprehensible Gendo Ikari. Worth a read.

Spasman
Nov 9, 2009

now i'm a jerk and everybody loves me
What the heck would you call arino's light green uniform? A "worker's uniform"? Is there a proper name for it?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Silly Voodoo posted:

From the Let's Watch Pro Street Fighter thread:

:allears:

OH! COLLUSION!

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

joek0 posted:

Here is the next episode hint for #151. Someone translate please. Parappa the Rapper (#150) is uploading on my YT page and will be up soon.

I'm never sure of the grammar in these things but I think I'd translate it as:

'Next time, after a long time we'll have an adventure game... scary'

The key part is just 'ひさびさアドベンチャー’ so the context is limited but I think it's saying that he hasn't played an 'adventure' game in a long time and will play a scary one next time.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Coot posted:

What the heck would you call arino's light green uniform? A "worker's uniform"? Is there a proper name for it?

It's a "speed suit".

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Just finished watching the raw for the PaRappa the Rapper episode. It was a great episode and they chose a great game for Arino to challenge for the milestone episode. I recommend watching the raw of this episode. There are some great highlights for the episode. The last 10 minutes is the best part and I will leave it for you to find out as it is so awesome.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 23, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

joek0 posted:

Just finished watching the raw for the PaRappa the Papper episode. It was a great episode and they chose a great game for Arino to challenge for the milestone episode. I recommend watching the raw of this episode. There are some great highlights for the episode. The last 10 minutes is the best part and I will leave it for you to find out as it is so awesome.

Youtube finish processing it yet?

Link?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Youtube finish processing it yet?

Link?

Someone from gaki forums posted a 720 HD version on YT. I am waiting to upload the 1280x720 version on my YT channel. Here is a link to his 720 HD video. It may take a while for the 1280x720 version to upload to my YT channel. YT is crashing alot on my end tonight.

720 HD GCCX #150 PaRappa the Rapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_9QN_7ppAo

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's good to see that someone is capturing the new episodes in HD.

EDIT: The gameplay footage looks terrible though.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 23, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Great. New nightmare fuel. Arino's face on PaRappa's body.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mister Chief posted:

It's good to see that someone is capturing the new episodes in HD.

EDIT: The gameplay footage looks terrible though.

Just checked it out, it seems fine.

That is, I don't think their equipment is capping it badly, the game just wasn't a graphical masterpiece on the PSX.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Oh my god. This is the best episode ever.

I cannot wait for the subtitles now.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Least it's not as terrifying as Arinotoads.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
God, I'm glad Arino had as much trouble as I did with the god drat chicken.

I usually haven't played the games they do at all, but I have played Parappa SO MUCH, and that in itself made this episode one of my faves.

Hearing Arino sing along with the Japanese version of the lyrics was amazing, too.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

PureRok posted:

Princess Maker 2 is the one available in English commercially... okay not really commercially, but by that I meant "made by a company."

If you don't mind Indie quality games, Hanako Games makes a bunch of PM clones. Cute Knight, Cute Knight Kingdom and Long Live The Queen.

http://www.hanakogames.com/

It's not exactly a vastly populated genre especially if you need it to be in English.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Princess Maker is probably the only child rasing game Ive ever heard of in english.

There's the Sims games if you buy all the appropriate expansions every time they add a number.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ah yes, a moe fetishism derail. How delightful.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Let's nip this in the bud.

Rappin' Arino has been a highlight of my Thanksgiving weekend. I really can't wait to see this one translated!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm watching the PaRappa episode right now. I can't believe Arino beat the frog flea market level on his first try since I remember being stuck on that level back when I played it as a kid even though I did the same button mashing strategy.

Also, after playing newer rhythm games like Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan and Guitar Hero/Rock Band, PaRappa looks a bit easier than I remember it being. :shobon:

edit: I forgot, I want those (spoilering even though it's not a major spoiler) GCCX-themed headphones they gave Arino so loving bad.

edit 2: Arino dressed up as a rapper for the final level has officially made this one of the best GCCX episodes ever.

edit 3: I can't believe it took Arino almost 4.5 hours to beat that game. I dunno how long it took me to beat it when the game was new, but I know it was a lot longer than that. Still, it was a great episode and will be amazing to re-watch translated.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 23, 2012

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
Oh my gosh. The Parappa episode was GLORIOUS. I was worried it'd maybe drag on a bit, but it was enjoyable the whole way through. Especially that finale... The new AD seems like an entertaining guy as well. And his English pronunciation was surprisingly good! That natural-soundin' "R"...

also I think "He repeatedly suffers from diarrhea before making it to the toilet." is probably my favorite thing Kan has ever said. mature adult.

ALSO HEY ZARI-GANI is there any chance you could dig up some details on the event mentioned at the end of the episode? :T I live an hour away from Akihabara and would love to attend (or at least spectate from afar) such an event! I'm weak at Japanese internet and don't really know where to look for details, but it seems like you're usually pretty on top of these things...

draks fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 23, 2012

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

AnotherGamer posted:

I'm sorta curious why the top of Arino's head was filled with static.
I finally got around to seeing the episode, so I can answer this one now, too: It was a teaser for the "That Guy in My Head" segment where Arino and some ADs (?) draw game characters from memory. I think it's only on their mobile site.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

draks posted:

ALSO HEY ZARI-GANI is there any chance you could dig up some details on the event mentioned at the end of the episode? :T I live an hour away from Akihabara and would love to attend (or at least spectate from afar) such an event! I'm weak at Japanese internet and don't really know where to look for details, but it seems like you're usually pretty on top of these things...
I think they said they'd announce the details in the next episode, but depending on when it airs, that could be cutting things really close.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
So I'm kind of behind the times again but I just finished watching the Chelnov episode.

I vaguely recall playing the game as a kid but it wasn't a game that particularly stuck out in my mind. It was kind of interesting revisiting it as an adult and actually understanding the cultural images used in the game though, like the Dogu statue boss (as a kid I just thought it was a weird looking boss design)

Weird how Wikipedia apparently seems to believe that the game is a parody... I just thought they used those cultural images because they looked cool and provided the game with a unique visual style, a parody would be Cho Aniki.

Also what is up with the game's ending?

"Oh no, you didn't find your sister, sequel hook?"
"No wait, nevermind, she's here all along, yay!"

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Hirayuki posted:

I finally got around to seeing the episode, so I can answer this one now, too: It was a teaser for the "That Guy in My Head" segment where Arino and some ADs (?) draw game characters from memory. I think it's only on their mobile site.

drat, that sounds like fun.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

draks posted:

ALSO HEY ZARI-GANI is there any chance you could dig up some details on the event mentioned at the end of the episode? :T

I haven't watched the episode yet, but the details were posted on the Fuji TV blog.

Date and time: December 22, 2012 (Saturday) 10 AM~5 PM
-Start: Akihabara Shuukaijou (秋葉原集会所)
-Goal: Tsuu'un Kaikan (通運会館)

Event details:
Game Center CX Murder Mystery in Akihabara
~Find the Producer's Killer!~
1. First, please receive the participation paper at the starting point in Akihabara Shuukaijou.
2. Witnesses linked to Producer Kan's killer can be found around Akihabara, so gather their testimonies and guess the killer.
3. Once you know the culprit's identity, head to the goal: the Tsuu'un Kaikan! If your theory is correct, you will receive a Christmas & New Years postcard designed by Chief Arino with handwritten messages from the staff.

This year, we will set up special spots in both the starting and goal points.
The starting point will have a merchandise booth and portrait corner.
The goal point will have a charity bazaar.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 24, 2012

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Wow that sounds awesome. I wish north american companies did stuff like that.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zari-gani posted:

I haven't watched the episode yet, but the details were posted on the Fuji TV blog.

Date and time: December 22, 2012 (Saturday) 10 AM~5 PM
-Start: Akihabara Shuukaijou (秋葉原集会所)
-Goal: Tsuu'un Kai'in (通運会館)

Event details:
Game Center CX Murder Mystery in Akihabara
~Find the Producer's Killer!~
1. First, please receive the participation paper at the starting point in Akihabara Shuukaijou.
2. Witnesses linked to Producer Kan's killer can be found around Akihabara, so gather their testimonies and guess the killer.
3. Once you know the culprit's identity, head to the goal: the Tsuu'un Kai'in! If your theory is correct, you will receive a Christmas & New Years postcard designed by Chief Arino with handwritten messages from the staff.

This year, we will set up special spots in both the starting and goal points.
The starting point will have a merchandise booth and portrait corner.
The goal point will have a charity bazaar.

Oh god, Arino killed Producer Kan! I know it!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

makere reminded me that I wanted to make this:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

It was Watanabe, she went Hannibal.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Been busy all month, but I'm going to be free to translate again in about two weeks.

Please vote for which one you'd like to see subbed first.

(Two-parter)

ETA: Decision made through Barcode Battler. Parappa won!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 24, 2012

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
A thousand times Parappa!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

My vote is for Donkey Kong Country, mostly because I'm OCD and want to see older episodes subbed before newer ones. Also DKC I've played a hundred times and I think it is more fun watching Arino get smashed by games I can beat blind, but then again I'm sure some people have played Parappa but not DKC.

Plus, two parter!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I'd love to see DKC!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I are both voting for Parappa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I was just wondering a few minutes ago if Arino had done a Donkey Kong Country game.

I'm all for seeing him take on the first game. That's my vote.