Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Good Party Dad
May 10, 2006
Me fail english, thats unpossible!

FPzero posted:

I'm thinking of getting Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and Scribblenauts Unlimited but I want to know if they both have Gamepad only capabilities. If not, I'll probably still pick them up but I've fallen in love with Gamepad only functionality on games.

I've been playing the hell out of scribblenauts unlimited on gamepad only. It has a little checkbox in its option menu for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

FPzero posted:

I'm thinking of getting Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and Scribblenauts Unlimited but I want to know if they both have Gamepad only capabilities. If not, I'll probably still pick them up but I've fallen in love with Gamepad only functionality on games.
Yes to warriors orochi. The display is mirrored.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Arghhh this map is annoying. So many icons. Why can't I just click them???

Ports.WiiU.txt

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well there goes another bunch of my money, thanks for the fast replies you guys.

Help this console is draining my wallet and I love it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm thinking of moving the Wii sensor bar to the top of my TV. How straight does it need to be? The top edge of the television is very narrow, so the bar will probably be tilting slightly up or down.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Did some people say they didn't like the Youtube app? I really like it. It's nice and clean. Way less screen clutter. Makes Youtube feel like Netflix. I dig it!

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

I'm thinking of moving the Wii sensor bar to the top of my TV. How straight does it need to be? The top edge of the television is very narrow, so the bar will probably be tilting slightly up or down.

Two sided tape is your friend.

The tilt doesn't matter, all it is, is a pair of infrared lamps. As long as it is horizontal you are fine.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Did some people say they didn't like the Youtube app? I really like it. It's nice and clean. Way less screen clutter. Makes Youtube feel like Netflix. I dig it!

Personally, I think it would be better of the menus were on the touchscreen.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Minidust posted:

I believe the sensor bar is just a couple of LEDS, so the angle of the bar should not affect it's accuracy. Obviously if it's pointed at the ceiling or the floor the "light" won't make it to the controller, but as long as it's close to pointing at the controller you should be good.

Edit - http://youtu.be/6paa4s8le10 <- Wii controller working with candles for a sensor bar.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 24, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's the same as the YouTube app for the PS3 which was barely functional but usable to put YouTube videos on your TV. The problem is that it lacks basic functions like showing you channels and related videos and the search interface is worse than Bing.

Making things worse for the WiiU version is how the WiiU's web browser is much better at displaying YouTube videos than the YouTube app. It does everything that the app doesn't, has better display options for the video, and a better interface.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Underwhelmed posted:

Two sided tape is your friend.

Or just a piece of normal tape wrapped in a loop sticky-side out.

Nintendo Land was a big hit with the nephew but he said playing NSMBU with the gamepad felt weird. Can you play it single player with just a Wiimote or do you have to use the gamepad?

Republicans fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 24, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Random Stranger posted:

It's the same as the YouTube app for the PS3 which was barely functional but usable to put YouTube videos on your TV. The problem is that it lacks basic functions like showing you channels and related videos and the search interface is worse than Bing.

Making things worse for the WiiU version is how the WiiU's web browser is much better at displaying YouTube videos than the YouTube app. It does everything that the app doesn't, has better display options for the video, and a better interface.

I like the interface on the app personally.

I guess there isn't a way to watch the videos on the Gamepad so Unlucky7 is right that sucks.

As for channels and related videos, what do you mean? It shows up for me. You hit down on the D-pad and can scroll related videos, uploads for channel, search results, etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Republicans posted:

Nintendo Land was a big hit with the newphew but he said playing NSMBU with the gamepad felt weird. Can you play it single player with just a Wiimote or do you have to use the gamepad?

Yes, the console acknowledges any Wiimotes connected to it.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Republicans posted:

Nintendo Land was a big hit with the newphew but he said playing NSMBU with the gamepad felt weird. Can you play it single player with just a Wiimote or do you have to use the gamepad?

E:FB You can use the Wiimote for singleplayer AFAIK.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Bombadilillo posted:

And nobody wants to get kicked out of a game when the WiiU starts to autoinstall when a download finishes. The choice is between playing during the 2 hour download or not playing anything and getting a 2 and a half hour and not having to press a button. It cannot install in background.

Arguably it wouldn't kick you out of the game either. All the install is doing is extracting a compressed file, why couldn't it run in the background as a very low level process if you were playing a game. All I'm saying is the process was not very polished and just stood out to me. In my case it was me waiting for the game to download for like 2 hours, coming down to check on it and being prompted to "install" the game which made me wait another half hour.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The main problem I have with the Youtube app is that the framerate is junk. Seriously, compare a video playing in the app to a video on a computer, it's all stuttery and poo poo. The web browser doesn't have this problem at all.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Bombadilillo posted:

I havent played 3 on other systems but compared to the last 4 games on other consoles this is visually amazing. Its smooth as butter. I don't know what framerate issues people were talking about in some reviews because its very good on my WiiU.

I don't know what your definition of "smooth as butter" is, but AC3 on my Wii U is decidedly anything but. That's not to say it runs poorly or is unplayable, but I've seen the framerate drop into the 20s on multiple occasions and the pop-up can be pretty jarring at times. Like you, I have no frame of reference for how it runs on the other systems, but I seem to remember AC2 running smoother on the PS3 than this.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
We really need a Google Maps app.
Just imagine those 360° photos on the gamepad.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

I don't know what your definition of "smooth as butter" is, but AC3 on my Wii U is decidedly anything but. That's not to say it runs poorly or is unplayable, but I've seen the framerate drop into the 20s on multiple occasions and the pop-up can be pretty jarring at times. Like you, I have no frame of reference for how it runs on the other systems, but I seem to remember AC2 running smoother on the PS3 than this.

That's really weird. Your experiences what the reviews I read said. I have not seen that at all. Console inconsistency? It's no like I am championing the game. I have a lot of complaints, but those are all gameplay related. Graphically it's been great for me.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

horriblePencilist posted:

We really need a Google Maps app.
Just imagine those 360° photos on the gamepad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=103UHYes0Ms

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

The Wii U version is actually missing lighting and particle effects due to time constraints on the developer. Hopefully those features along with performance optimizations will show up in an update.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I thought this thread was better than a 3 rating? Are there any other improvements I can make to the OP?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok so I went ahead and bought the system. I was gonna get the rayman game as it was demoed there, but turns out that isn't out yet. So I ended up not getting a game.
Thankfully I got the 32g version, which comes with nintendo land. I have got to say, nintendo land is a lot better than I had hoped. It's leaps and bounds above the sports resorts games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I thought this thread was better than a 3 rating? Are there any other improvements I can make to the OP?

It's more to do with the posters than the OP.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why can I go to the miiverse and see a bunch of posts and things clearly over the Internet, but if I go to the youtube app, it tells me I must connect to the Internet ? Browser works fine as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jonathan posted:

Why can I go to the miiverse and see a bunch of posts and things clearly over the Internet, but if I go to the youtube app, it tells me I must connect to the Internet ? Browser works fine as well.

It should show that if you haven't downloaded and installed the update yet. It's probably downloading in the background right now. Don't bother though, watching youtube on the browser is superior in every way.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Minidust posted:

Big blob of blu-tack should do the trick. It's how my Kinect is sitting on the top of my tv.

It kinda looks like this.

code:
    ________
   /        \
  |_________|   <----Kinect
     __       <--- blu-tack in here
   _|  |___
  |        | <---- top of TV

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

It should show that if you haven't downloaded and installed the update yet. It's probably downloading in the background right now. Don't bother though, watching youtube on the browser is superior in every way.

The console was updated on launch day and reports that there are no available updates. Strange, it's as if some apps like the browser and miiverse know it's connected, but then others think it's offline.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Puddin posted:

Big blob of blu-tack should do the trick. It's how my Kinect is sitting on the top of my tv.

It kinda looks like this.

code:

________
   /        \
  |_________|   <----Kinect
     __       <--- blu-tack in here
   _|  |___
  |        | <---- top of TV

Thank God you did a diagram on how to stick something with blue tack, I don't think anyone would have understood

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jonathan posted:

The console was updated on launch day and reports that there are no available updates. Strange, it's as if some apps like the browser and miiverse know it's connected, but then others think it's offline.

The youtube app itself has an update. It went live two days ago, should be automatically downloading the first time you run the app.

Corky Kraptrucker
Oct 12, 2006
Being out of your box isn't a right. It's a privilege.
Mannnn... I didn't think I'd have so much trouble trying to find a deluxe system in Chicago. All the Targets around me have a basic occasionally, but nowhere else I've been have any. Do Gamestops ever have any in or all they all reserved for the next month solid?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ok what the gently caress I'm playing Ninja Gaiden and on the second level in a small enclosed area that looks like a bar there's a rocket launcher enemy that CANNOT BE TARGETED. No matter where I jump from or where I attack him Ryu refuses to hit him with an arrow. It's the last enemy I need to kill before moving on. What the gently caress is going on?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Ok what the gently caress I'm playing Ninja Gaiden and on the second level in a small enclosed area that looks like a bar there's a rocket launcher enemy that CANNOT BE TARGETED. No matter where I jump from or where I attack him Ryu refuses to hit him with an arrow. It's the last enemy I need to kill before moving on. What the gently caress is going on?

The problems is that you are playing Ninja gaiden 3! I'm so sorry

In all seriousness. Dodge a lot and kill everyone else and autotarget when no other enemies argument there with bow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Ok what the gently caress I'm playing Ninja Gaiden 3 and on the second level in a small enclosed area that looks like a bar there's a rocket launcher enemy that CANNOT BE TARGETED. No matter where I jump from or where I attack him Ryu refuses to hit him with an arrow. It's the last enemy I need to kill before moving on. What the gently caress is going on?

I highlighted the problem right here. drat, beaten to it.

The game's buggy as hell and the WiiU version was pretty much an attempt at a new coat of pain on an already-bad game. It's nice they tried, but the results were only mildly less woeful.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 24, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Almost Smart posted:

To be completely fair, it runs like poo poo occasionally on my PS3 version too.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
In miiverse, whats the activity feed get comments from? friends only?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Joink posted:

In miiverse, whats the activity feed get comments from? friends only?

No, everyone's posts are displayed.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Thank God you did a diagram on how to stick something with blue tack, I don't think anyone would have understood

Just because there is a post button, doesn't always mean you should use it.

Anyway, just traded in some vita games as EB are doing an extra 40% on trades towards the Wii U, traded in 3 games for more than I paid for them.

I'm actually starting to get a little excited now.

Does anyone know if that Aliens : Colonial Marines collectors edition that's on ps3/360 will be coming to Wii U?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The miiverse really needs an unfollow post button. I yeahed! A post a while ago and it's now blown up and my feed is filled with (random person) also yeahed!/commented on (random person's) post.

I wanna know what you guys are doing not other random WiiU people :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Unlucky7 posted:

To be completely fair, it runs like poo poo occasionally on my PS3 version too.

Don't wanna stress this too much, but you really need to remember that the PS3 is 6 years old. The Wii U is a week old running the same software. It should be running some measure better on this no matter how you look at it. Doesn't have to be 60fps, but it really shouldn't be compared to a 6 year old system on performance issues.

• Locked thread