Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
animal drums
Jul 8, 2010

dieFALKENATOR posted:

this thread is useless, I didn't even know Wu Block was out, justaway to get it now

It's gonna suck when it does come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Bulging Nipples posted:

I'm loving all the Seattle spots in the video, the new Unicorn downstairs bar never looked better haha

As lame as Macklemore can be at times, I don't think you can realistically hate on this song. It's dope.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/19352/fabolous-the-soul-tape-2.html

nuff said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh14iU_lFJA

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 23, 2012

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

thathonkey posted:

So Flocka was actually pretty good. It was kind of a small crowd but the show basically extends the qualities of his music: raucous, abrasive, sometimes incoherent but the energy makes up for it all. He spent a good portion of the show just walking through the crowd while he rapped/shouted.

See this is why I don't really get the fascination with Keef. Waka at least has insane energy, on top of a real good ability to just...emote. Like, even on a song like Stereo Type where he's a bit more restrained in tempo, that song just works because when he says something, he makes you feel it. He doesn't need to be a super-lyrical dynamo. Keef's just...dull in comparison. And fwiw, Reese seems to be a better rapper anyways, but he's not getting near the pub.

Also for the dude asking for artists like Macklemore, I'd check out Atmosphere for sure.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
My cousin told me about this today at Thanksgiving, they play classic hip-hop (and new) along with the original funk songs many of them were sampled from :stare:

http://www.wefunkradio.com/radio/

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

alansmithee posted:

See this is why I don't really get the fascination with Keef. Waka at least has insane energy, on top of a real good ability to just...emote. Like, even on a song like Stereo Type where he's a bit more restrained in tempo, that song just works because when he says something, he makes you feel it. He doesn't need to be a super-lyrical dynamo. Keef's just...dull in comparison. And fwiw, Reese seems to be a better rapper anyways, but he's not getting near the pub.

Also for the dude asking for artists like Macklemore, I'd check out Atmosphere for sure.

Because some people like his style. Can't believe you're this perplexed because people like something you don't like.

Also that radio station is very very sick

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Is it really nuff said? There aren't like 3-4 good songs on this mixtape, as per Fab's modus operandi?

And Wefunk is really cool, yeah.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

My cousin told me about this today at Thanksgiving, they play classic hip-hop (and new) along with the original funk songs many of them were sampled from :stare:

http://www.wefunkradio.com/radio/

This poo poo's so good. I remember listening to it a year or two ago but I somehow completely forgot it existed.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

atrus50 posted:

Lmao of course noone has yet posted about the kingdom hearts 2 sample on mac 3
I wasn't aware people listened to French Montana outside of features.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I would hope not.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
lol

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
Serious Question:

Kreayshawn is coming to my city on the 29th. Has anyone been to one of her shows? Should I drop the coin to go?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Sypher posted:

Serious Question:

Kreayshawn is coming to my city on the 29th. Has anyone been to one of her shows? Should I drop the coin to go?

Depending on the price and who else is gonna be there I'd probably think about going just for the spectacle of it. I don't know if I'd expect much from a show quality standpoint (especially since her catalog is so thin/not good) but the atmosphere might actually be decent.

I've actually had a lot of fun going to shows from artists I don't really like as much, simply because then I'm not worried so much about the music and can just focus on having a good time or whatever. Besides rap shows seem so hit or miss anyways. The only ones I've really never heard anything bad about were The Roots, but that's because they pretty much toured constantly and had/have their poo poo down.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I would go to a Kreyshawn show where she just did Gucci Gucci for like 45 minutes because that song on repeat was basically how I spent summer 2011.

Has she had any good tunes since then? I've listened to a few of her tracks as they came out and they were just so boring :(

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
Tickets are $17.50. I just found out she was playing here about 2 hours ago. Don't know if anyone is playing with her (would be sweet if a local act like Danny Brown made an appearance).

Honestly the only song of hers that I have heard is Gucci Gucci. Based off that song, I am seriously contemplating going. However, I would just like to know if anyone has some previous experience with her shows. Times are tough in Detroit.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

Honestly, Kelly Rowland stole the show on this. And considering it is Big Boi, that is a huge loving compliment.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sypher posted:

Honestly, Kelly Rowland stole the show on this.

Totally. Can't wait for this album, Lucious Left Foot was the shut.

dieFALKENATOR
Dec 24, 2011
what was the other Metro Zü release (other than Heaven & Mink Rug) that was being recommended here, they are astonishingly profligate, I've kind of lost track with them

as for Wu Block, very little indication of it sucking, here's a stream http://256up.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/wutang-x-d-block-wu-block-2012-album.html

I think the appeal of Keef is sort of... there's a sort of brutish dysphoria to it? likes of SGPurrp is dysphoric too, but not in the same way.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iygcpqKw0Yc

Krispy Kreme bringing the holiday heat. It's an act, but it's an act he does really well. Also, that's a lot of John Cena gear.

dieFALKENATOR posted:

what was the other Metro Zü release (other than Heaven & Mink Rug) that was being recommended here, they are astonishingly profligate, I've kind of lost track with them

I think the appeal of Keef is sort of... there's a sort of brutish dysphoria to it? likes of SGPurrp is dysphoric too, but not in the same way.

Zuology is the new one. And I like it!! (X-Ray, Dey Shunnin, Dip My Dick In Lean, Nekk Up, Cokeworld USA, Gimme Money, Pussy Poppin' Handstand, and Smellin' Like A Pimp are all awesome)

And I'd agree that part of what I like about Chief Keef is that's he isn't a happy person but he's hosed up and I think that speaks more to the poetic license of his lyrics. They aren't deep, but they can't be because he's illiterate and potentially 'spergin. So he just try to convey what he can over the music he thinks fits.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 23, 2012

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

hearing 'can i get a witness' coming out of that dudes mouth i just about poo poo myself just now

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

Sypher posted:

Serious Question:

she's infamously horrible live or at least was when i was hearing a lot about it, so yeah you should go for the sheer spectacle.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

dieFALKENATOR posted:

as for Wu Block, very little indication of it sucking, here's a stream http://256up.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/wutang-x-d-block-wu-block-2012-album.html

I actually dig Lofty305's solo joints as much or more than most of the Metro Zu stuff. Shroomtard is amazing as is Hashpipe Jazz (which I think also shows a slightly different production style from them). But honestly, I can't say they've had any "bad" releases, especially with how prolific they are. Zuology which just came out recently is another really solid release. Just production off the charts.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Production-wise, I don't believe that Zuology is JUST Metro Zu production. But all the same, their releases are light years ahead of the mixtape circuit. I'm surprised no big name has approached them considering their style is all over the place!

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Metro Zu is more about the fun of digging through their albums to find songs you would actually listen to for me because they're so prolific and a lot of it I don't enjoy, but Lofty actually has a number of beat tapes that are good front to back. 6a6e was on repeat for a couple months.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

vanbags posted:

Every single song of his is a perpetual train wreck it's amazing

Most important NYC rapper out right now no contest

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

Man, this thread is so hard to keep up with. I'm not big on the scene but recently started really getting into artists like Mos Def and Kid Cudi, I dig the catchy hooks and the slower pace/soft spokenness. Are there any other artists out there similar that I could get a kick out of?

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Have we talked about TREE in here? some of his stuff is hit and miss, but I dig him. His voice reminds me of David Banner somewhat.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate to rekindle the retarded semi-regular "does Riff-Raff have any actual artistic merit" debate again but he's dropping a project with Harry Fraud next month which is kinda intriguing.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Fabolous - Soul Tape 2 is out.

I recommend it along with every Fab mixtape. Don't be fooled by the guy's albums, they're trash. His mixtapes are amazing though

if anything just listen to Trey Songz kill the "Diced Pineapples" beat

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Baron Patsy posted:

she's infamously horrible live or at least was when i was hearing a lot about it, so yeah you should go for the sheer spectacle.

Yeah, I've read several things talking about how bad she is.

Check out this video - look at the crowd when she does Gucci Gucci - it's amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpz27E_vQlE

So I vote go.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

I hate to rekindle the retarded semi-regular "does Riff-Raff have any actual artistic merit" debate again but he's dropping a project with Harry Fraud next month which is kinda intriguing.

I'm excited. Their last collaboration had some smokey beauty + Fraud is my favorite producer since Mannie Fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ohbKidZLiA

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Since when have goons not liked French??

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

John Brown posted:

Shut the gently caress up John Brown.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
he raises a good point doe

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

El Ste posted:

Man, this thread is so hard to keep up with. I'm not big on the scene but recently started really getting into artists like Mos Def and Kid Cudi, I dig the catchy hooks and the slower pace/soft spokenness. Are there any other artists out there similar that I could get a kick out of?

I think this guy is exactly what you're looking for. Beats are just like Cudi but lyrics are cool like Mos Def.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

John Brown posted:

I like him a lot :shrug: His tape with Waka is one of the few mix tapes outside of like Blue Dream and Lean that I can listen to over and over. The Coke Boys tapes are good too. There's just something so hypnotic about his voice...

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Went and saw Kendrick today in loving Boca Raton, laffo. It was cold, nice outdoor venue but I feel like an old man these days so I just sat with my boys and watched most of the show. Kendrick had good energy but did like, ten songs? It was somewhat disappointing, but whatever, I didn't expect a ton.

What WAS disappointing was the act before him was Pusha, and Pusha came out and tried pretty goddamn hard and literally 5% of the audience had any loving clue who he was. When he did New God Flow and Mercy people were like OH THAT GUY but even Grindin' it was like half the audience had never heard the goddamn song, I felt like crying.

The audience had so many loving teenage white girls it was amazing, adult dudes wearing loving YMCMB/Taylor Gang/YOLO poo poo, one of my friends was like "I don't understand why it's all white people" and then started talking about how he saw Childish Gambino and how cool it was and Danny Brown was the opener and he sucked. At that point I realized how much I love this thread even when everyone argues about dumbass poo poo like Riff-Raff or whether alansmithee hates Trap poo poo.

e: Oh and some other white kids were yelling "nigga" at each other in the bathroom with like eight black dudes there, I felt loving embarrassed for all white people and tried to display this on my face.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Went and saw Kendrick today in loving Boca Raton, laffo. It was cold, nice outdoor venue but I feel like an old man these days so I just sat with my boys and watched most of the show. Kendrick had good energy but did like, ten songs? It was somewhat disappointing, but whatever, I didn't expect a ton.

What WAS disappointing was the act before him was Pusha, and Pusha came out and tried pretty goddamn hard and literally 5% of the audience had any loving clue who he was. When he did New God Flow and Mercy people were like OH THAT GUY but even Grindin' it was like half the audience had never heard the goddamn song, I felt like crying.

The audience had so many loving teenage white girls it was amazing, adult dudes wearing loving YMCMB/Taylor Gang/YOLO poo poo, one of my friends was like "I don't understand why it's all white people" and then started talking about how he saw Childish Gambino and how cool it was and Danny Brown was the opener and he sucked. At that point I realized how much I love this thread even when everyone argues about dumbass poo poo like Riff-Raff or whether alansmithee hates Trap poo poo.

e: Oh and some other white kids were yelling "nigga" at each other in the bathroom with like eight black dudes there, I felt loving embarrassed for all white people and tried to display this on my face.

Well, that's a rap show

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life

vanbags posted:

coke boys 2 loving owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfJGcaJDjss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I know this topic got shat all over a couple pages back, but I think the question actually deserves some serious weight.

Medieval (f. The Pharcyde) - Danger Mouse & Jemeni posted:

Usually me and my men are a band of merry minstrels.
Right now we're here to protect the crown from you clowns and fire-breathing heathens.

I'm white. And not only am I white, but I'm really white. I went to a private school my entire life. I went to a boarding school in Massachusetts. My mom is really WASPy and my dad is just another Jew from D.C.

That being said, hip-hop culture has always fascinated me as a New Yorker, and as I have grown over the years, I have had many varying views on the various sub-genres of rap. There was a time when I was only into "real hip-hop" a.k.a some pussy backpacker poo poo, and after this phase, I achieved what I feel is enlightenment: I'll listen to what I like, and I don't give a gently caress what anyone else thinks. This "listen to what I like" attitude brought me into a world of releases that a younger me probably wouldn't have checked out a.k.a. Gucci Mane.

This prolonged intro to my post brings me to the main topic: Chief Keef and the popularity of borderline-retarded rappers for white people. I understand reasons why someone would like Chief Keef: if they grew up in a similar fashion to the young rapper, if they come from an area where being "young money" is paramount. But what I can't seem to fathom is why websites like Pitchfork, usually known for hipster elitism that makes Williamsburg look modest, would give artists like Chief Keef good reviews (7.9 on his album, really?). Objectively, Chief Keef is like Waka Flocka if Waka actually had down syndrome, and Waka Flocka's Flockavelli (Yes, the Flockavelli that featured "Grove St Party," "O Let's Do It," and "No Hands.") only received an 8.0 from Pitchfork, further proving how bullshit and irrelevant Pitchfork's rating system is. Regardless of how I feel about the ratings though, I find myself asking, "Why the hell does Pitchfork even review Trap artists given the magazine's tendency to be extremely harsh and pretentious about music?"

This is only one aspect of the entire Chief Keef "thing" that perplexes me though. When I would ask my white republican friends at school why they listen to Chief Keef, half of their answers were borderline-sarcastic iterations of "he's just sooooo hood" or "he's just soooo thug." Never once did they say, "hey I like his message" or "hey I like his flow" or "hey he just makes good songs." No, every time I asked them the reason, the reason always had to do with the seemingly-comedic "gangsterness" of the Chicago rapper. It was at this moment that I started to feel that a lot of the "hood" rap perpetuated by the media was merely becoming a minstrel show for the white fan bases of a lot of these artists. It seems like Chief Keef is the culmination of this modern day Minstrel show though with 0 lyrical content or prowess and what seems to be the vocabulary of a 7th grader. Despite having apparently no music skills, this kid has still become a sensation, and because of his rise to fame, I have had to reconsider what attracts rich white people, people who have nothing in common with the "Ghetto" lifestyle, to artists like Chief Keef and Lil Reese. I think the best information is probably found from studying Riff Raff though.

TL;DR Why do rich white kids like Chief Keef even though they have no aspirations to be like him and why do they find his lifestyle almost-laughable while still acting like they enjoy his music?

• Locked thread