Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Guys, where is the best deal online I can get a Nintendo 64?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Anyone know of a program to play SPC files on mac? I have NoiseES for my iPhone which I love, I'd like something like that for my iMac

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
http://www.oldspicesavestheworld.com/

8 bit advertising from Old Spice.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

welp posted:

http://www.oldspicesavestheworld.com/

8 bit advertising from Old Spice.

I can't wait for low poly 32 bit era art to start being the craze marketers use to sell us dumb poo poo :allears:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zeether posted:

Most of these were ported by Dempa, who also did the X68000 port.

Huh. I looked into Dempa since I'd never heard of them expecting to see they were a Japan-only porting company or something and, well, they pretty much were but they were apparently also a division of Micomsoft (of XRGB fame). I had no idea they'd done software work in the past.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

thedouche posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOd0CEuB-dM

This is really appropriate considering who posted above me, but I had no idea that Space Harrier was ported to so many different consoles. I imagine the Famicom version came out before the Sega Master System and the GBA version came out after the Dreamcast (or did Sega do handheld games on other company's systems before leaving the hardware business altogether). All of the ports are pretty impressive considering what they were ported too, but my favorite part in the SMS and Game Gear versions (which should be the same thing, right?) is that the enemies look like flying jpeg images when they fly over the ground.
We can add yet another one to the list soon: A widescreen 3DS port was announced a couple of days ago by Sega. Which'll probably look fantastic due to the added depth on the old sprite graphics.

HKR posted:

I can't wait for low poly 32 bit era art to start being the craze marketers use to sell us dumb poo poo :allears:
Oh man, I've been wanting all these faux-retro indie types to make something that relies on PS1-era nostalgia (as opposed to NES/SNES nostalgia) for so long now. A clever developer could have a lot of fun with that...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

Huh. I looked into Dempa since I'd never heard of them expecting to see they were a Japan-only porting company or something and, well, they pretty much were but they were apparently also a division of Micomsoft (of XRGB fame). I had no idea they'd done software work in the past.
They did ports to the Genesis as well, I think. On the X68000 they also ported a few Namco games, the first one that comes to mind is Bosconian which is a REALLY good port. It has both the original arcade game and an arrange mode with background music and different arrangements of enemy bases, plus you get an "extra cannon" powerup at one point.

Really, the X68000 rules for ports in general. SPS/Sharp did some great Konami game ports on it on top of Dempa's, I know they did conversions of Gradius, Gradius II, Salamander and Parodius which are all pretty perfect.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 23, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

So how many people are familiar with circuit boards and controller modding? I'm rather green to anything of the sort, and even to soldering itself, but I've been wanting to alter the controllers on my Gen-X Dualstation, an NES/Genesis I grabbed which is okay for being an inexpensive/small and portable system.

The main issue with it(aside from spotty sound emulation and no CVIII) is that the controllers are patterned after a Genesis pad, including the button designations of a-b-c, and they unfortunately made the NES also follow the letters of the button order. Because the buttons on an NES controller are BA, it means the controls on this are actually backwards, which makes it aggravating to play NES games on it.

Now, the thing is that the C button, when playing an NES mode, pushes both buttons at once, I guess as some kind of feature. What I'd like to do is to disable the B button functionality on the C button in NES mode, so I could just use the B and C buttons as the NES B and A buttons in the correct order.

I heard this modification was actually preformed by someone on a different kind of retroclone system with a similar problem, but other than "desolder this one diode", I couldn't find out any more than that, and now I can't find the forum post it was from.

I'd like to try this as a sort of baby's first mod project, but I'm worried about just trying to find the right diode to remove. I don't really want to just remove random ones until I get lucky and find it, especially since there's so many and some of the buttons I'm not even sure I can test reliably if I accidentally screw them up, given it's a six-button Genesis pad and I lack games that use the extra buttons. And the more stuff I have to desolder and solder, the more chances are I'm going to ruin this thing, probably, given my inexperience.

Any advice or ideas? The A B C buttons being the bottom rightmost buttons.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The Kins posted:

We can add yet another one to the list soon: A widescreen 3DS port was announced a couple of days ago by Sega. Which'll probably look fantastic due to the added depth on the old sprite graphics.
Oh man, I've been wanting all these faux-retro indie types to make something that relies on PS1-era nostalgia (as opposed to NES/SNES nostalgia) for so long now. A clever developer could have a lot of fun with that...

I swear there was a WiiWare game with a gimmick of levels being divided into different graphical styles from the 8-bit days to N64-style graphics but I can't remember enough about it to turn up any relevant results on Google.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

I don't really think the controller itself is smart enough to figure out if you're in nes or genny mode which probably means you need to make some modification on the controller itself.
I could of course be wrong about this.

Now what I would do is cut the trace going to the c-button solder a wire to each side of the broken trace and the A button and then put a switch there.

Well I'd do that but that C button has two traces going from the non ground side of the button which throws the above out the window. It seems a bit unclear on the picture but one of the traces seems to go to D3, the other I can't really see where it's going.

You could try desoldering that component I guess and then put it back again if it doesn't work.
Or do what I wrote above but cutting both traces going out (on the none fat side) and having wires attached to both of those going to the same place on the switch.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
A box came today! Full of Sega! But first I wanna show off the Sega junk I already had...

I bought a Genesis lot off of eBay a couple months ago, because I read this thread too much. When it came I was super excited, half the games are pretty cool ones, and everything looks brand new. It's amazing. From the condition and era of the games, I think they bought everything near launch, didn't like it, bought Sonic and Shining when that was new and hot, and then put it all away until sending it to me. The system is even the oldest one without the intro screen, that lets you play unlicensed games.

I didn't even know they would include those posters! Look at those things!

The Mario Lemieux Hockey is just the special edition box and puck, no game included. I hide the Arnold Palmer Golf in there to keep the box safe.

I bought Kid Chameleon separate a few weeks ago because it's seriously one of my favorite games ever. Also an old Knuckles toy I had forever.

So today, I get a package from Pope Crunch.

At first I offered to just buy his four boxed Genesis games. But then he gave me a really good deal on everything else...

I can play Master System games now too! I've never even seen a Master System game in person before. He warned that the Power Base Converter was iffy, but I just tested it with Phantasy Star and it booted up first try.

Now I've got 3 of the 4 big Sonic games, I guess I need Sonic 2... And I want the original Alex Kidd to go with my Genesis one... And Fantasy Zone 1 and 2... And maybe a card based Master System game... and and and :retrogames:

oh no i own an unboxed game now

Thanks PopeCrunch!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just picked up a Final Fantasy edition Wonderswan Color off of 8-bit Miniboss. I'm loving stoked to try it out, but unfortunately I have to wait until Christmas (my girlfriend was quick to claim it as a gift to me from her). Does anyone have any must-get games for it? I'm already planning on picking up Final Fantasy 2 and 4--language barrier isn't an issue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

elf help book posted:

I can play Master System games now too! I've never even seen a Master System game in person before. He warned that the Power Base Converter was iffy, but I just tested it with Phantasy Star and it booted up first try.

Now I've got 3 of the 4 big Sonic games, I guess I need Sonic 2... And I want the original Alex Kidd to go with my Genesis one... And Fantasy Zone 1 and 2... And maybe a card based Master System game... and and and :retrogames:

oh no i own an unboxed game now

Thanks PopeCrunch!

You'll also need both Sonic games for the Master System as well. And all three Alex Kidds :shepface:.

edit: VVVVVVV

Just play them together

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 24, 2012

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'll also need both Sonic games for the Master System as well. And all three Alex Kidds :shepface:.

Well I do also want Alex Kidd in Shinobi world... and I guess I'd need to get Shinobi too...

Is it more proper to play Sonic 3 separate and then link it to S&K once you beat it, or play them all together?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

Is it more proper to play Sonic 3 separate and then link it to S&K once you beat it, or play them all together?
Play it locked-on, because the games were originally meant to be as one but were split due to holiday crunch-time and cartridge costs for what would have been a big memory-size cart, which back then was expensive.

Also, Sonic 3 has save files, while S&K does not. However, Sonic 3 has four hidden save slots that are only accessible when locked-on to S&K.

The only reason to play Sonic 3 by itself is to fight the final boss that isn't in S&K at all. It's actually pretty hard!

Also it's worth it to play through all of S3&K twice; once as Sonic and again as Knuckles. Then get all-emerald save files for all four possible character sets. Yes, even for Tails. :shepface:

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 24, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Agrias120 posted:

I just picked up a Final Fantasy edition Wonderswan Color off of 8-bit Miniboss. I'm loving stoked to try it out, but unfortunately I have to wait until Christmas (my girlfriend was quick to claim it as a gift to me from her). Does anyone have any must-get games for it? I'm already planning on picking up Final Fantasy 2 and 4--language barrier isn't an issue.

All I know that might be good (if language isn't a problem) is that there's a Chocobo's Dungeon game for it, Clock Tower, Gunpey, Magical Drop 1, a whole mess of super robot taisen games, and I think that's about it.

Honestly, it's more a novelty than something I would actually play games on regularly.

If you want to check out a rare Wonderswan game, get Eschatos for the 360. It's the base game, plus 2 wonderswan titles: Judgement Silversword (ebay value at 200+) and Cardinal Sins (a wonderwitch only thing, and the wonderwitch is like 200+ to get too)

Eschatos can be less than 100 to get.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This requires a doublepost.

Speed Run Marathon. Donations for Hurricane Sandy
http://hurricanesandython.com/

Lots of retro games going on. Marathon up for the next 5 days. Lots of retro games.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Orange Mage posted:

Also it's worth it to play through all of S3&K twice; once as Sonic and again as Knuckles. Then get all-emerald save files for all four possible character sets. Yes, even for Tails. :shepface:

Been there. Done that. :smug:

Though, to be fair, Super Tails' flock of invincible homing birds is actually really handy.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, and then after that you have to do an all-emeralds run of Sonic 2 & Knuckles. :colbert:

Since my Genesis is a full-motherboard Model 2, I have to wonder: what's a fair price for getting a 3/4 mobo model 2? All the stuff I've read says it'll be a big improvement.

Also, while I still have my launch day GBA, what's the status/price of the Game Boy Micro? It looked cool as heck but passed on it at the time, and I'm guessing they've only gotten more rare and expensive since.

And, this might be the wrong thread to ask, but as for Game Boy chiptune stuff, is there a preferred model to use?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ineffiable posted:

All I know that might be good (if language isn't a problem) is that there's a Chocobo's Dungeon game for it, Clock Tower, Gunpey, Magical Drop 1, a whole mess of super robot taisen games, and I think that's about it.

Honestly, it's more a novelty than something I would actually play games on regularly.

If you want to check out a rare Wonderswan game, get Eschatos for the 360. It's the base game, plus 2 wonderswan titles: Judgement Silversword (ebay value at 200+) and Cardinal Sins (a wonderwitch only thing, and the wonderwitch is like 200+ to get too)

Eschatos can be less than 100 to get.

Awesome, I'll look into those! I figured game ports on it wouldn't be very good, but I've always lusted after once since I was younger for some odd reason. The price was right and I just wanted another oddball portable system to put next to the Neo Geo Pocket Color on my shelf. :3:

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Ineffiable posted:

This requires a doublepost.

Speed Run Marathon. Donations for Hurricane Sandy
http://hurricanesandython.com/

Lots of retro games going on. Marathon up for the next 5 days. Lots of retro games.

Luigi's Mansion right now. Not exactly retro yet, but still a great game.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I bought my GBMicro from an eBay seller for $60, and the local shop sells them for that price as well.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

The Orange Mage posted:

Oh, and then after that you have to do an all-emeralds run of Sonic 2 & Knuckles.

And, this might be the wrong thread to ask, but as for Game Boy chiptune stuff, is there a preferred model to use?

I believe you mean Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2
:goonsay:

I saw a breakdown of the sound quality of various Game Boy models once and it turns out the old gray brick is the best. The Super Game Boy sounds noticeably different though not necessarily worse, though, so it's useful to have around for that.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: VVVVVVV

Just play them together

3 Alex Kidd games on master system? There are only two in my opinion. :colbert:
(Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

3 Alex Kidd games on master system? There are only two in my opinion. :colbert:
(Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.)

Um High Tech World is one of the greatest games of All Time so how about you SHUT YOUR drat MOUTH??

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Agrias120 posted:

I believe that Blue Wing Blitz is a standard solid suggestion for the WSC... it's basically Advance Wars.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Agrias120 posted:

One of the Digimon games on WS has an official English version (it was translated for Asian territories). If you can track it down it's a pretty good game.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

I swear there was a WiiWare game with a gimmick of levels being divided into different graphical styles from the 8-bit days to N64-style graphics but I can't remember enough about it to turn up any relevant results on Google.

Bit Boy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyhBkutq0VU

It's not very good unfortunately.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I figure I'll ask here. I doubt I'll get much of a response, but what the hell.

I'm looking for Xeno GC modchip for the gamecube. Anyone in here have a spare they're willing to sell me? They're becoming harder and harder to find, and the only ones I can find either ship from Australia, Thailand, or China. Trying to find someone in the US that may have one.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So when I got home today from doing stuff, I found this by my door.

I don't remember having ordered anything from the Pampered Chef for black friday... wait a second! This is probably some pretentious GWS goon trying to slip me a nonstick set along with the bill. Well, wait until they get a taste of my-

:stare: ...this doesn't look like cookware at all, or anything remotely close to edible. What could be in these? It better not be an invoice!

Holy mother of... so many different old things.... and is that a loving homemade Genesis everdrive? :aaaaa:

AHA! I knew this was all too good to be true. We'll see just whose biscuits get buttered this time!

Orrrrr it could be a N64 and PS1 cleverly disguised. :drat:

Thank you Hamburglar, this is the best black friday ever. :3:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

iastudent posted:

So when I got home today from doing stuff, I found this by my door.

I don't remember having ordered anything from the Pampered Chef for black friday... wait a second! This is probably some pretentious GWS goon trying to slip me a nonstick set along with the bill. Well, wait until they get a taste of my-

:stare: ...this doesn't look like cookware at all, or anything remotely close to edible. What could be in these? It better not be an invoice!

Holy mother of... so many different old things.... and is that a loving homemade Genesis everdrive? :aaaaa:

AHA! I knew this was all too good to be true. We'll see just whose biscuits get buttered this time!

Orrrrr it could be a N64 and PS1 cleverly disguised. :drat:

Thank you Hamburglar, this is the best black friday ever. :3:

I use a pampered chef serrated knife for work. It weights 20 lbs and slices through bread like butter.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The hand drawn burning dollar bill is what sells the entire package.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Which one was the pretty good game?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Did I miss the great Hamburgler giveaway sometime recently in the thread? The most generous goon!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

triplexpac posted:

Anyone know of a program to play SPC files on mac? I have NoiseES for my iPhone which I love, I'd like something like that for my iMac

http://bannister.org/software/ao.htm

It's appropriately about to get its first update in a loooong time too

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

elf help book posted:

A box came today! Full of Sega!
Thanks PopeCrunch!

Yessssss awesome enjoy it!

Now for NES stuff - I have the following, mostly cart only:
Tiny Toon Adventures Cartoon Workshop
Crystalis
Destiny of an Emperor
Dragon Warrior 3 (with manual)
Faxanadu
The Goonies 2
Gyruss
AD&D Pool of Radiance
The Guardian Legend
The Magic of Scheherazade

I also have an NES with two controllers, orange Zapper, power cable, and yellow/white video cable. Either PM me if you're interested in any or all of the above, or drop me an email at popecrunch@gmail.com - just make sure if you email, that you drop a reply in the thread too so I know it's not just some random ebay flipper. I also still have the SNES with one controller, power, and video cable (red/yellow/white) too.

edit: SNES gone, and i definitely have two controllers for the NES along with an orange Zapper.

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 25, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

In addition to the stuff I posted earlier, I got all this over the weekend, some from the retro stores here, some from other retro or SA-Mart goons.

Now this is what I call a Black Friday haul.

Also props to Vrikkian and Raxmus for hooking me up, you are cool dudes in my book.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Um High Tech World is one of the greatest games of All Time so how about you SHUT YOUR drat MOUTH??

I am sorry dude, did not mean to offend you. I assumed he meant Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, i have not played that one. According to wikipedia, there's actually 5 games on sms with Alex in it.

Fun fact: I remember reading that pretty much all the Alex the Kidd games were originally generic games that they decided to put Alex in at the last minute. There's screen shots of the Shinobi World game with a different character, and also a boss that Sega called "Mari-Oh" which was a reference to Super Mario. (He's still in the game, and he still shrinks when you hurt him.)

Trying to remember other good sms games, the only ones i could think of were Wonderboy in Monsterland and Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap. I played a lot of sms back when it came out.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

I am sorry dude, did not mean to offend you. I assumed he meant Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, i have not played that one. According to wikipedia, there's actually 5 games on sms with Alex in it.

Oh man I was totally kidding; I wasn't offended. I think you should definitely check out "High Tech World" though. It's nothing like the other games. It's actually really odd. Writing down phone numbers, talking to Sega employees, it's just a totally strange game where the main goal is to get to an arcade to play awesome Sega brand games.

the_lion posted:

Trying to remember other good sms games, the only ones i could think of were Wonderboy in Monsterland and Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap. I played a lot of sms back when it came out.

Wonderboy in Monsterland is one of my favorites but it's annoying how impossible it is. I couldn't beat it using save-states a few years ago, and tried it with some friends a few months ago using real hardware (well, a Genesis with the Master System controller since I don't own an SMS). The game is impossible. It's that drat timer. The final castle is ridiculous, and we even used the only cheat the game has which is press pause a billion times on controller 2 to get lots and lots of GP. Still can't beat the drat thing. I love it, though.

HKR posted:

I use a pampered chef serrated knife for work. It weights 20 lbs and slices through bread like butter.

My wife buys that stuff; not me. She turns a blind eye to 80's and 90's video games, I turn a blind eye to baking plates that aren't supposed to be cleaned for some reason.

iastudent's package I sent him was not for the Secret Santa thing; I won't say who I got but it wasn't him. It was just a bunch of systems he told me he didn't have so I got a few together for him plus some games (he didn't show Super Mario Bros 3 for the GBA in his photos). Also, Chrono Trigger DS is getting very rare and going up in price, so I figured I better get it to him now before it ends up costing as much as the SNES version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

the_lion posted:

Outun? Zaxxon? Phantasy star? Alien Syndrome? Y's The vanished Omens? Just looking a bit at what good SMS games I have.

Heh, the text on Y's is kind of fun. "Reprogrammed game 1988 by Sega" "PLAYERS: 1 (Up to 5 if games are saved and alternated.)"

Heh, there's tons of silly stuff in these master system games. The back of the alien syndrom and battle outrun manuals for example are score books where you are to fill in your scores

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 25, 2012

• Locked thread