Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

indoflaven posted:

I don't know why more people don't hunt deer.
Because the only weapons I'm good at wielding are melee range and deer are hard to sneak up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
My friend has Big Plans to go hunting this season so I may hopefully end up with some venison. The big problem I see beyond needing a place, a gun, and ability, is that hauling the carcass and getting it clean/cleaning it isn't something you can really google.

OK, yeh, you can google how to clean it, but doing it is totally different.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

indoflaven posted:

I don't know why more people don't hunt deer. My favorite meal is venison backstrap butterflied and cooked in butter with canned potatoes and onions.

It's probably about $3 per serving. Venison teriyaki is my second favorite meal of all time and probably cost $2 per serving.
I'd love to stock a freezer with a year's supply of venison but as a suburban dude with no firearm license or hunting experience, the time and money investment required before I could even start planning a trip is ridiculous.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE

Yawgmoth posted:

Because the only weapons I'm good at wielding are melee range and deer are hard to sneak up on.

You just need to put some points into Ranged Weapons next time you level up. It's cool.

If anyone wants a way to make delicious vegetables, grains and seeds, then check out this thread on South Indian cooking. I've recently decided to cut meat out of my diet and the preparations in that thread are great for ideas.

Cook like an Indian, smell like an Indian.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Last time I bought beets, I noticed that they had a striking red and white pattern on the inside when sliced down straight, almost like a peppermint candy. So beets are dirt cheap, and it seems like that would be a good way to have an pretty and cheap side for Christmas dinner. If I wanted to slice them and lay them flat, then put in all the other stuff like you do for potato gratin, does anyone know if they keep the color? Can I just use a potato gratin recipe, or should things be adjusted to accommodate the earthier beet flavor?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Pester posted:

Last time I bought beets, I noticed that they had a striking red and white pattern on the inside when sliced down straight, almost like a peppermint candy. So beets are dirt cheap, and it seems like that would be a good way to have an pretty and cheap side for Christmas dinner. If I wanted to slice them and lay them flat, then put in all the other stuff like you do for potato gratin, does anyone know if they keep the color? Can I just use a potato gratin recipe, or should things be adjusted to accommodate the earthier beet flavor?

I would recommend against anything creamy with beets, as it'll turn this disgusting pepto bismol colour. Avoid. Instead, try it with an orange maple glaze. Combine fresh orange juice with a bit of maple syrup, some rosemary, white wine, and soy sauce or salt. Boil over heat until it reduces down by about half. Whisk in a bit of cornstarch that you've dissolved in either brandy or water. Once the sauce thickens completely, pour it over the beets.

To cook the beets themselves, lightly toss in olive or peanut oil, and roast in 15 minute increments at 350, until they're done to your liking.

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

Pester posted:

Last time I bought beets, I noticed that they had a striking red and white pattern on the inside when sliced down straight, almost like a peppermint candy.

The beets you are talking about are called chioggia beets (also known as candy cane beets). They will lose their beautiful stripes if you boil them and will probably fade if you bake them with liquid as well. They tend to turn kind of golden yellow or orange with very faint stripes after the boiling process which is still pretty but is not that same Christmas candy cane look. I'd try roasting them since that would probably retain more of the original color and pattern. Raw for salads would be a good idea too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I disagree with dino. Beet gratin is awesome but you do need to make it drier than the average gratin (Americanized gloopy gratins are gross anyway). As mentioned candy stripe (they have many names, I know them as candy stripe) beets lose their color striations when cooked conventionally. You can low temp roast them whole and then slice with moderate success however if you really want to show off the color then the best way is to mandolin them thin, quick pickle, and serve with some peppery greens and a nutty cheese in a salad.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Beet gratin is fantastic. Don't listen to dino. :colbert:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also borscht with sour cream turns a nice pleasant color and it tastes awesome.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Borcht is what I did with the candy cane beets last time, it was a really nice color. :)

GrAviTy84 posted:

I disagree with dino. Beet gratin is awesome but you do need to make it drier than the average gratin (Americanized gloopy gratins are gross anyway). As mentioned candy stripe (they have many names, I know them as candy stripe) beets lose their color striations when cooked conventionally. You can low temp roast them whole and then slice with moderate success however if you really want to show off the color then the best way is to mandolin them thin, quick pickle, and serve with some peppery greens and a nutty cheese in a salad.

I think that a salad for Christmas would be kind of a hard sell with my family, beets are daring enough. But since a beet gratin is apparently controversial and fraught with peril, can you or Casu or anyone give me a recipe or some guidelines on how you do it? The orange glaze sounds good for keeping things cheap too, though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I don't really have a recipe, but I like to slice really thin, layer in a casserole with salt, pepper, a bit of butter, and some thyme and bake at 350 until bubbly and you can pass a knife through.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Beet gratin is especially cool because unlike a lot of vegetables you can bake the hell out of it and it will never lose its shape or go mushy.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
In the spirit of the end of the year, Budget Bytes posted a best-of-2012 list. While I don't always like the recipes posted, some are pretty good. Many of 'em are freezer friendly, which is the big awesome thing about them.

On another note, I'm going to be really sad if all the articles about milk costing $8/gallon come 2013 end up being right. There's probably a huge ethical storm surrounding this issue, but still, it will suck if milk ends up pricey enough to be "special-treat-buy-a-drop-only" instead of "normal-way-to-consume-calories". I really enjoy milk. :sigh:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just got some awesome beef deals in the supermarket today, I just totted the whole batch up - it came to 9.79 for an original 49.03 euros worth of frying steak, stewing steak, and roasting meat.

I'm freezing most of it for cooking later; I don't like buying clearanced poultry or fish since it doesn't age well, but beef is usually just approaching its best when they clearance it.

Meatsweats ahoy!

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
:argh: I was in the Co-op last night and they had massive beef roasting joints that were on half price offer AND yellow stickered. I couldn't buy any as I was going to the pub and it almost broke my heart.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Beep Street posted:

:argh: I was in the Co-op last night and they had massive beef roasting joints that were on half price offer AND yellow stickered. I couldn't buy any as I was going to the pub and it almost broke my heart.
Oops wrong thread

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Beep Street posted:

I will compound your agony by saying that on the same shopping trip I picked up 7 cans of draught guinness for 7 euro and thus made a giant pot of beef in guinness for abooout...5 euro in total?

Clearanced beef is the goddam best, we got a pile of ribeyes and striploins for at most a euro apiece.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Yehudis Basya posted:

In the spirit of the end of the year, Budget Bytes posted a best-of-2012 list. While I don't always like the recipes posted, some are pretty good. Many of 'em are freezer friendly, which is the big awesome thing about them.

Thank you for this website! I've been reading for three hours straight.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Yehudis Basya posted:

On another note, I'm going to be really sad if all the articles about milk costing $8/gallon come 2013 end up being right. There's probably a huge ethical storm surrounding this issue, but still, it will suck if milk ends up pricey enough to be "special-treat-buy-a-drop-only" instead of "normal-way-to-consume-calories". I really enjoy milk. :sigh:

Add another thanks for this website. Grocery shopping tomorrow is going to be awesome.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
Pretty sure Dino was traumatized by some canned beets if I recall correctly.. just saying cook a lot of beets, they rule.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Appl posted:

Pretty sure Dino was traumatized by some canned beets if I recall correctly.. just saying cook a lot of beets, they rule.
I've lost count of the amount of times I've been traumatised by tinned vegetables in general, served by well-meaning folk trying to have a 'vegetable' option, and thinking it involves opening tins of veg, boiling them, and serving them as is. :gonk: Why must spinach come in a tinned version? What is even the point of that? And why would you boil that? The only vegetable I've ever had that survives that process is corn. Everything else can suck it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dino. posted:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been traumatised by tinned vegetables in general, served by well-meaning folk trying to have a 'vegetable' option, and thinking it involves opening tins of veg, boiling them, and serving them as is. :gonk: Why must spinach come in a tinned version? What is even the point of that? And why would you boil that? The only vegetable I've ever had that survives that process is corn. Everything else can suck it.

tinned tomatoes are better than fresh, like, 3/4 of the year depending on where you live. There are of course all of the cured/pickled things, olives, pickled veg, giardinera, etc. The very act of canning requires high heat and pressure. Any vegetable that will just be cooked a lot anyway will handle it well. Just like all ingredients though, there are such things as high and low quality tinned vegetables.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

tinned tomatoes are better than fresh, like, 3/4 of the year depending on where you live. There are of course all of the cured/pickled things, olives, pickled veg, giardinera, etc. The very act of canning requires high heat and pressure. Any vegetable that will just be cooked a lot anyway will handle it well. Just like all ingredients though, there are such things as high and low quality tinned vegetables.

Point, for sure. Tomatoes are nicer when tinned where I live, because the city doesn't really have gardens, much less home grown tomatoes (Brooklyn notwithstanding). Olives for sure. Not sure that I'd love pickles when tinned though. I find that my favourite types of pickles are those half sours. You know the type, right? Where it's still like mostly cucumbery, but still a bit sour, and not at all sweet? I'm rambling.

Spinach though. Ugh, why? And beets? They're actually tolerable when fresh, but preserve them and they become painful (imo, your mileage may vary).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love beet pickles :allears: But normal canned beets are horrible.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dino. posted:

I find that my favourite types of pickles are those half sours. You know the type, right? Where it's still like mostly cucumbery, but still a bit sour, and not at all sweet? I'm rambling.

Depends on the pickle. Salt fermented/lacto live fermented etc stuff, sure. Vinegar pickled things are fine canned though.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Does anyone have advice for making carnitas with a slow cooker? I have some pork shoulder I want to make extra delicious and was thinking about braising it in a pan then letting a slow cooker in garlic, diced fresh jalapenos, onion, and some chicken broth but the actual logistics (times and amounts) of it I'm not too sure about. I saw http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homesick-texan-carnitas/ this in this very thread and really wanted to replicate it but lack a sufficiently thick pot and the juices.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Pork shoulder plus slow cooker equals pulled pork, so yeah. Same method described in the slow cooker BBQ pulled pork recipe on the wiki, but use orange juice and chicken stock for cooking liquid, plus lime juice, onions, garlic, dried chiles, bay leaf, cinnamon, maybe some cumin. Once it's done, shred it and crisp it under the broiler before serving. It helps to reserve a little of the cooking liquid, reduce it heavily, then mix it in with the shredded meat.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Saint Darwin posted:

My friend has Big Plans to go hunting this season so I may hopefully end up with some venison. The big problem I see beyond needing a place, a gun, and ability, is that hauling the carcass and getting it clean/cleaning it isn't something you can really google.

OK, yeh, you can google how to clean it, but doing it is totally different.

My dad and I used to hunt, and he always got annoyed when everyone tried to score venison thinking we got it for free. He ended up actually totalling the price per pound of meat for one season in which we used all our allotted tags and it was like 20+ bucks a pound. Think about all the stuff that goes into that. Food and gas for hunting weekends, hunting licenses and firearm permits, firearms and ammo, and definitely not least, leasing fees. You don't just go out into some forest and shoot at deer, you either need your own land or pay someone leasing fees for their game. Sometimes a lease comes with a hunting cabin. If not you get to camp out or stay in town. Also, even after sectioning your meat need to be processed, and that costs money too.

Venison is delicious, particularly when you killed it yourself and are hogging all of a barely cooked backstrap while everyone at the table who did not kill the animal stares longingly. Also hunting was a great recreational experience and bonding activity for my dad and I, so the price was worth it to him. But to suggest going out and hunting as a solution to cheap eats, as a city boy I find that pretty laughable. If you're a redneck and already have all your own guns and land and poo poo, and know the county game guy well enough that he won't pop you for hunting out of season on your own property, go hog wild.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Typhus733 posted:

Does anyone have advice for making carnitas with a slow cooker? I have some pork shoulder I want to make extra delicious and was thinking about braising it in a pan then letting a slow cooker in garlic, diced fresh jalapenos, onion, and some chicken broth but the actual logistics (times and amounts) of it I'm not too sure about. I saw http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homesick-texan-carnitas/ this in this very thread and really wanted to replicate it but lack a sufficiently thick pot and the juices.

Courtesy of goon gizmojumpjet:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

I've made it 5 or more times and its always great.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Nathilus posted:

My dad and I used to hunt, and he always got annoyed when everyone tried to score venison thinking we got it for free. He ended up actually totalling the price per pound of meat for one season in which we used all our allotted tags and it was like 20+ bucks a pound. Think about all the stuff that goes into that. Food and gas for hunting weekends, hunting licenses and firearm permits, firearms and ammo, and definitely not least, leasing fees. You don't just go out into some forest and shoot at deer, you either need your own land or pay someone leasing fees for their game. Sometimes a lease comes with a hunting cabin. If not you get to camp out or stay in town. Also, even after sectioning your meat need to be processed, and that costs money too.

Venison is delicious, particularly when you killed it yourself and are hogging all of a barely cooked backstrap while everyone at the table who did not kill the animal stares longingly. Also hunting was a great recreational experience and bonding activity for my dad and I, so the price was worth it to him. But to suggest going out and hunting as a solution to cheap eats, as a city boy I find that pretty laughable. If you're a redneck and already have all your own guns and land and poo poo, and know the county game guy well enough that he won't pop you for hunting out of season on your own property, go hog wild.

A friend of mine had the brilliant idea of selling venison futures to whoever asked him for meat. It offset the cost of the trip, license, etc and came through even if he didn't bag a deer. Luckily he did and I made venison stew at the low price of $20 for 'a couple decent sized hunks'!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I made this last night http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2012/01/teriyaki-meatball-bowls-789-recipe-132.html and it was loving delightful. She does that weird thing with food cost estimation that figures partial price of whatever ingredient based on how much of it you're using, so initial outlay will be more if you need to buy ingredients you only use a little of at a time, but it's still pretty cheap and loving delicious. I need to use more ginger in my life, clearly.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

I've been using an adapted recipe from budgetbytes to great effect

1/8th to 1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper
little butter
some protein eggs and shrimp are what I use
Sauce- .5 to 1 TB of sirachi, 1tb of brown sugar, 1tb of low sodium soy sauce
5-6 OZ of pasta cooked al dente.

melt butter in pan with crushed red pepper
add protein
Add cooked noodles
stir a bit and then add the sauce.

Honestly ever since the pasta challenge I've been eating the poo poo out of pasta, this recipe, home made marinara + pasta + protein + veggies, pasta is so cheap and versatile.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Beo posted:

I've been using an adapted recipe from budgetbytes to great effect

1/8th to 1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper
little butter
some protein eggs and shrimp are what I use
Sauce- .5 to 1 TB of sirachi, 1tb of brown sugar, 1tb of low sodium soy sauce
5-6 OZ of pasta cooked al dente.

melt butter in pan with crushed red pepper
add protein
Add cooked noodles
stir a bit and then add the sauce.

Honestly ever since the pasta challenge I've been eating the poo poo out of pasta, this recipe, home made marinara + pasta + protein + veggies, pasta is so cheap and versatile.

I've been trying to do things with the homemade pasta and I just can't get the crap thin enough. I'm down with making my own sauces and everything else but I just can't get the hang of homemade pasta I guess.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

rndmnmbr posted:

Pork shoulder plus slow cooker equals pulled pork, so yeah. Same method described in the slow cooker BBQ pulled pork recipe on the wiki, but use orange juice and chicken stock for cooking liquid, plus lime juice, onions, garlic, dried chiles, bay leaf, cinnamon, maybe some cumin. Once it's done, shred it and crisp it under the broiler before serving. It helps to reserve a little of the cooking liquid, reduce it heavily, then mix it in with the shredded meat.

I'd skip the chicken stock, seems like a silly expense if you're slow cooking a piece of meat with a bone in it.

Just use water instead, it'll make pork stock while it cooks.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Nathilus posted:

I guess it depends on where you live. Adding up all the costs, venison costs me about $1, maybe $2 / pound. However, around here there are plenty of landowners (within a half hour of home) who are more than happy to let you hunt on their land for free if you ask nicely. Afterwords, hang the carcass up in the garage and process it yourself - the only real costs are tags and ammunition (the latter of which you shouldn't need too awful much of unless you're taking wild potshots all the time). The average size of the deer varies, too - the few times I've gone in upstate New York, or down in Kentucky, the deer were generally much smaller than they are here (NW Ohio, SE Michigan).

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

I've been trying to do things with the homemade pasta and I just can't get the crap thin enough. I'm down with making my own sauces and everything else but I just can't get the hang of homemade pasta I guess.

Oh no I mostly use store bought pasta too I've just been dressing it up differently. Tonight I cooked the shrimp with a TB of butter and some spices then tossed spaghetti and a spicy red sauce in the pan.

I've been a huge fan of the bags of precooked shrimp lately, fairly cheap protein and it's good for you.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Beo posted:

Oh no I mostly use store bought pasta too I've just been dressing it up differently. Tonight I cooked the shrimp with a TB of butter and some spices then tossed spaghetti and a spicy red sauce in the pan.

I've been a huge fan of the bags of precooked shrimp lately, fairly cheap protein and it's good for you.

I actually remembered my Target giftcard I got for Christmas and I've bought a pasta machine with it. It's a $30 hand cranked one just to flatten it out (though it comes with a cutting attachment) so it should work a bit better.

One thing I've noticed is, at least when following the Jamie Oliver recipe (1 egg:100 mg flour) it comes out extremely dry. In order to get it to roll out right at all I have to moisten it with some water. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what.

I post about it in this thread because home made pasta is insanely cheap.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Beo posted:

Probably the best balance of convenience, price, and usefulness is(believe it or not) Walmart's bags of frozen shrimp. 12 oz. of frozen, raw, peeled, de-veined shrimp for $5 each, available in various sizes ranging from medium size up through jumbo. Considering that seafood is expensive as hell in my town, and it's just me and the girlfriend, a 12 oz. bag is the perfect portion and price for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Hah, that's actually where I get my shrimp I get the 12 oz bags of precooked ones and just thaw out 8 or so of them and toss them in whatever I'm cooking if it fits, I think I'm digging it more than chicken breast for protein.

Last time I went to the store I took 30 bucks hoping I could eat for a couple weeks on it ended up getting.

Whole Chicken
Frozen Shrimp
Bag of Onions
Couple Cloves of garlic
Beans
Pasta
Some fresh herbs
Couple cans of tomato stuff for making various sauces
Soy Sauce

Between that and some frozen veggies I already had I've been eating like a king. Already ate pasta a few times and I cooked the whole chicken, took most of the breast and made a pot of white chicken chili and I still have most of the chicken frozen for other meals.

I really can't stress how much value you can get out of a whole chicken. And it's not just the meat, if you aren't making stock with the carcass you are missing out on some amazing flavor for soups, rice, sauces it's just really good value and not much work.

That white chicken chili I made was very simple and cheap compared to some recipes I've used and the reason it can be so cheap is because of all the flavor it got from my home made stock.