Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

InFlames235 posted:

I'd be wary of buying stuff from the eShop anyways until they make purchases linked to your account rather than linked to your console.

I've already bought a couple of games through the shop and I'm not concerned. I still have my launch Wii running just fine. I don't know of any other situation where I would need my games on another account beyond system failure and Nintendo can take care of that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Toady posted:

Developers have said the hardware is conventional enough to easily target but that bits of it are underpowered. Next year's cross platform games will in all likelihood be better quality, with perhaps an occasional missing technical feature. Seeing Arkham City was the biggest disappointment for me, since I love that game and was hoping for an ultimate version.
Arkham City's problems aren't really a hardware thing. It trades some texture resolution for more geometric detail, but is mostly hampered by the pointless gamepad features and dumb new armor skins.

Gendo posted:

The pro controllers lacking a headphone jack and an accelerometer is a really bizarre omission at that price point.
Accelerometers are a weird omission, but I've never been fond of plugging a headset directly into the controller. Here's hoping there will be support for wireless at some point.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 24, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Man, if Miiverse posts are anything to go by (and I'm not saying they are), ZombiU appears to have sold really well. New Super Mario Bros U (~39k) only has like 5k less posts than Nintendoland (~44k), and ZombiU is third (~16k). The rest of the third party games appear to be floating somewhere around 2-4k posts, and some are even less. Darksiders 2, for example, only has ~1,000 posts. I sure hope it didn't completely bomb, I really want to see Darksiders 3 and 4. :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finally got to play my Wii U today. I had ordered it from walmart.com. For anyone who was worried that Walmart wouldn't come through, rejoice! Everything went fine on their end.

No. The problem was with their package courier, FedEx. I've had to deal with FedEx 3 times this year, and none of these dealings have turned out well. NSMBU shipped first, last Saturday. FedEx picked it up, schlepped it across the country... and delivered it to the wrong unit. :downs:

I had even left a note on the outside door asking them to bring it to the leasing office. They didn't get the note because they went to the wrong door. I had to call them up and get the driver to track down my game. Fortunately, the lady he delivered it to hadn't opened the game, just the packaging, and I got it safe and sound.

Oh and then the console itself. It was due to arrive on the 22nd, but of course being a holiday, it was to be delivered the day after. I knew I wasn't going to be home, so I called FedEx up and asked them to please bring the console to the leasing office for safe keeping. I didn't want it left outside, or possibly brought to the wrong door again. I also left a note on the outside door, just in case.

Black Friday rolls around, and I track the thing. It says "Left at front door." Oh poo poo. Called the leasing office. They didn't have it. Now I'm panicking because I figure they ether brought it to the wrong unit again or left it outside. We ended up leaving the in-laws' place early (we had planned to stay until Saturday morning) so we could go home and check it. We got home about 9:30 and.... there it was. Sitting right outside our apartment door.

Welp. All's well that ends well, I guess, but seriously, gently caress FedEx.

We got the thing all updated last night, and we spent this mormning playing Mario. I also just got the Wii transfer deal done. Let me tell you, the transfer application is loving adorable. :swoon: If you haven't tried it yet, DO IT! Oh yeah and it was super easy and everything transferred without any problems whatsoever. It even automatically re-downloads all your Virtual Console games. Couldn't be simpler!

Loving Mario so far. Can't wait to play it more. Haven't tried Nintendoland yet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Artix74 posted:

Man, if Miiverse posts are anything to go by (and I'm not saying they are), ZombiU appears to have sold really well. New Super Mario Bros U (~39k) only has like 5k less posts than Nintendoland (~44k), and ZombiU is third (~16k). The rest of the third party games appear to be floating somewhere around 2-4k posts, and some are even less. Darksiders 2, for example, only has ~1,000 posts. I sure hope it didn't completely bomb, I really want to see Darksiders 3 and 4. :(

I bought Darksiders 2 and it's pretty fun. I did hear, though, that Joe Madureira left the company so there's nil chance of them making any more sequels

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011

Astro7x posted:

So if you need another Wii Motion Plus controller, I definitely recommend picking up Fling Smash at TRU with their Groupon Deal they have going on right now!

$10 for $20 good for almost anything in the store besides gift cards, electronic downloads, warranties, and other stuff like that

http://www.groupon.com/deals/toys-r-us-november-chicago?utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=1225267&utm_source=rvs

I used my Groupon Giftcards I got through Bing Rewards, so the total cost to me was $5.28!

The Groupon deal itself says 1 per person, but the coupon they give you, does it say you can only use one per transaction or can you stack 'em?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

Why is the pc version not the ultimate?

I don't have a gaming PC.

Veotax posted:

Why in gods name would you think a version with needless gimmicky gameplay additions and terrible 'Armored' costumes could be the 'ultimate' version?

I think sonar, an always-on map, audio transmissions coming out of the gamepad, and other novelty features are cool. The armored suit is essentially the one from Arkham Asylum and doesn't bother me, although it would be nice to switch back to the original. If the performance is addressed in a patch, I may get the game after all, though I still wish there was an official achievement system.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

Accelerometers are a weird omission, but I've never been fond of plugging a headset directly into the controller. Here's hoping there will be support for wireless at some point.

I thought this was shot down wasn't it? Won't all headsets require to be plugged in?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love how there's no achievements in this console. I always hated the entire idea of them for no good reason so I'm pleased to see it gone.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I love how there's no achievements in this console. I always hated the entire idea of them for no good reason so I'm pleased to see it gone.

I don't give a poo poo about achievements, either, but I'd like them to do something that I found impressive with Assassin's Creed III. I don't know how other platforms do it, but on PC, it has minimal amounts of achievements through Ubisoft's uPlay format. The point behind it is, the points you get from achieving something, you get to spend. With AC3, you can get a wallpaper (who cares), or in-game stuff, like item upgrades and skins.

This would be perfect for Nintendo. All rewards that you could earn from in-game achievements could give you points to spend on accessories for your Mii. Much like the Mii hats on the 3DS, but on the level of 360 avatar customization, without paying real money for it.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

This. I'd become such a trophy whore on my PS3 that I'd forgotten the joy of just playing through a game normally. If I could transfer my saves, and just lose my trophies, I'd even change my PSN ID.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like achievements when they aren't forced. Like I hate playing a game and because games need to have so many achievements for, say, the Xbox 360 they'll throw in really stupid ones cause they need filler to meet the requirement. It'd be nice if games that have built in achievements were able to be viewed in someone's profile but other than that were left to developers to decide how many they want, if at all. I also like when devs make them tied to in-game rewards and not just make some useless number get bigger

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
My relationship with ZombiiU so far is very love/hate. The concept is fantastic, and when I successfully overcome a challenging situation it's really fun, but there's a lot of frustration, too. Losing multiple flares and molotovs because my zombie immediately tackles and bites me is such shiiiiit. Prior to getting the virucide syringe, every single encounter is just nerve-wracking.

I like the ambiance, and some mechanics, like corpses getting up (and thus not triggering the radar ping) are excellent, because you have to be very methodical and it creates tension. But drat, trekking back after dying nowhere near a shortcut (looking at you, outside Buckingham Palace sequence) is a frustrating pain. Helmet zombies being completely immune to damage from all sources and angles (including molotovs) until you've knocked their helmet off with the cricket bat is stupid as hell, also. Seriously, I shot a police zombie for like 5 seconds with a mounted turret before I realized his magical helmet was deflecting all my bodyshots.

Ah well, still pretty fun, and this genre is seriously underserved.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

So what accessories are must have? I picked up a Premium from Target this morning and only got NSMBU with it. 99% of the time I'll be using the console just for me and my wife. 2 Wii remotes, nunchuks and pro controllers?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pro controller is a bit of an uncertainty right now, it's hard to gauge how many multiplayer games will use or require it. The multiplayer games that do allow it also seem to let you use other options like the nunchuk.

I'd say that two remotes and two nunchuks should be a good enough starter set.

The release of SSB will probably mark the moment that it starts making sense to stock up on pro controllers.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 24, 2012

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Joink posted:

Yea I thought the activity feed in miiverse would be some sort of friend filter.

This is from a few pages back, but doesn't seem like it was corrected. The Activity Feed is just friends and followed users' posts. Notifications is where everyone is seeing that a bunch of people Yeah'd their post and replied to things.

SpeedRazor fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 25, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

At least you admit you have no good reason. :)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like achievements when they aren't forced. Like I hate playing a game and because games need to have so many achievements for, say, the Xbox 360 they'll throw in really stupid ones cause they need filler to meet the requirement. It'd be nice if games that have built in achievements were able to be viewed in someone's profile but other than that were left to developers to decide how many they want, if at all. I also like when devs make them tied to in-game rewards and not just make some useless number get bigger

I liked how they were done in Xenoblade. Fell off a cliff? Have an achievement! Died for the first time? We've got an achievement for that! It was so random as to be amusing, but there was no incentive to actually collect them (as far as I know).

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Revol posted:

I don't give a poo poo about achievements, either, but I'd like them to do something that I found impressive with Assassin's Creed III. I don't know how other platforms do it, but on PC, it has minimal amounts of achievements through Ubisoft's uPlay format.

I sort of like how NSMBU handles this. When you Get through a level without damage, or grab all 3 coins in one run, or some other "goal" you get to leave a post if you like. It's not exactly an achievement per se, but getting to draw and leave pictures around the course is sort of fun. You get that immediate positive feedback for doing something without it being a main focus.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
The PS3 didn't get its trophy system until a few years after its release, so there's always a chance something similar might muck up the Wii U down the road. I don't mind achievements/trophies unless they gently caress up the multiplayer component of a game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I liked how they were done in Xenoblade. Fell off a cliff? Have an achievement! Died for the first time? We've got an achievement for that! It was so random as to be amusing, but there was no incentive to actually collect them (as far as I know).
They also don't tell you what they are so it's more satisfying when you randomly stumble across them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PS3's trophy system is also a lot more freeform than 360's achievement system, it somewhat mirrors what some people are asking for here. There's no set number of "points" or achievements that developers have to reach, so you can have games with wildly varying lists of only a few to nearly a hundred. It's more of an RPG progression system too, rather than a high score.

I always figured a Nintendo achievement/trophy/accomplishment system would be something without any numbers or levels. Just a game has a certain number and its like "hey you got it, good job!" rather than just assigning them a point value.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I don't really care about achievements myself, but Miiverse rules. I don't care when some person gets an achievement or trophy or whatever saying they beat some chapter in a game or won 50 online games, but I do think it's funny when some guy beats a stage then draws a high-as-hell babby Yoshi or a terrible GOTTA GO FAST Sonic drawing for everybody else to see. There are some pretty good artsy folks out there.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Policenaut posted:

PS3's trophy system is also a lot more freeform than 360's achievement system, it somewhat mirrors what some people are asking for here. There's no set number of "points" or achievements that developers have to reach, so you can have games with wildly varying lists of only a few to nearly a hundred. It's more of an RPG progression system too, rather than a high score.

I always figured a Nintendo achievement/trophy/accomplishment system would be something without any numbers or levels. Just a game has a certain number and its like "hey you got it, good job!" rather than just assigning them a point value.

That's pretty similar to how Steam does it and to be honest is probably the best way of doing it.

I've actually heard developers use "you beat level 2" type achievements to figure out if people are beating the game or giving up in frustration. It allegedly helps them balance future games and gives better internal metrics. That's hearsay though so I have no idea if it's true.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

axeil posted:

I've actually heard developers use "you beat level 2" type achievements to figure out if people are beating the game or giving up in frustration. It allegedly helps them balance future games and gives better internal metrics. That's hearsay though so I have no idea if it's true.
I've heard that as well. I always to like to check the achievement breakdown on Steam to get a feel for how far people get. Typically only around 30-40% get the achievement for beating the game, but more curious is that usually around 10% of players never get the achievements for beating the first mission.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

That's pretty similar to how Steam does it and to be honest is probably the best way of doing it.

It's true but there's also software many developers(and not just AAA developers, even the most casual of casual developers) use to track not just this stuff, but far more detailed statistics. That stuff doesn't tend to show up on any public websites unless they decide to put up a page or a blog post for it.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

J-Spot posted:

I've heard that as well. I always to like to check the achievement breakdown on Steam to get a feel for how far people get. Typically only around 30-40% get the achievement for beating the game, but more curious is that usually around 10% of players never get the achievements for beating the first mission.

Well, a lot of people impulse-buy things in Steam sales, don't they? They probably discover they don't like it later on and never touch it again.

I personally like collecting trophies and the like (I blame every other N64 platformer), but I mostly only really do it if I like the game. I also compete with friends on getting certain milestones but I guess we're just weird, then. Wouldn't mind if Nintendo did it, but I don't see them ever implementing it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Introvert posted:

Well, a lot of people impulse-buy things in Steam sales, don't they? They probably discover they don't like it later on and never touch it again.
Oh yeah, I've got a few of those myself, but what's funny to me is something like Fallout: New Vegas which essentially gives you an achievement for finishing the character creation process. 6.5% of players quit before that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Revol posted:

I don't give a poo poo about achievements, either, but I'd like them to do something that I found impressive with Assassin's Creed III. I don't know how other platforms do it, but on PC, it has minimal amounts of achievements through Ubisoft's uPlay format. The point behind it is, the points you get from achieving something, you get to spend. With AC3, you can get a wallpaper (who cares), or in-game stuff, like item upgrades and skins.

This would be perfect for Nintendo. All rewards that you could earn from in-game achievements could give you points to spend on accessories for your Mii. Much like the Mii hats on the 3DS, but on the level of 360 avatar customization, without paying real money for it.

Uplay is on the wii u, but they haven't released the app yet to set it up.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Miiverse seems like a good enough compromise in lieu of system-wide achievements. It can be a universal bulletin board for whatever kind achievement system devs want to create.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It'd be cool if you get different hats, like on the 3DS, for your Mii from different games via "achievements" or something of the sort. I love my Miiparade and all the hats everyone likes to wear because of it.

But I'm glad this console doesn't have achievements either.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Alright seeing as there's no ZombiU thread which is goofy i'll post this here for you who have gotten that far. Spoilers yo. Alright i'm on the mission where you have to get to the gas station in Spitalfield Green so you can get the generators back up for the safe house. Only problem is i'm stuck. I head to the back of the Markets down that one walkway and there's a coded door there. I look around with the black light and in that little two door shed there's half of a code in it and half of a code on the wall. Now I figured it was like the Raven's room in the Warehouses where you get the Dee letter and the smg (or like half of the Riddler's Clues in Arkham City) where you have to line it up and then scan it but unlike that one it's never lining up for me. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I'm pretty worried that my game is bonked since I still have the "get to the roof" mission from the prior mission that I guess glitched out and left the 'get to the roof' part there even though I did and it didn't accept it and it checked off all the objectives prior and after. Sorry for the rambling paragraph. Any help would be appreciated.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I apologize for the dumb question, but I haven't had a Nintendo console since the 64 and this system has piqued my interest. Oddly enough, none of the launch games have my attention but I really like the console so I'm planning to pick it up as an excuse to play the Zelda games that I've missed. As a total new wii-comer, what wii controllers will I need to play Zelda / super Mario galaxy 2?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Uggghhh here we go. My deluxe has decided not to play Nintendo land. 5 minutes in and it freezes and blares like a vuvuzella at me from both the tv and the controller... This is going to be lovely if they can't fix this soon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

sleepness posted:

I apologize for the dumb question, but I haven't had a Nintendo console since the 64 and this system has piqued my interest. Oddly enough, none of the launch games have my attention but I really like the console so I'm planning to pick it up as an excuse to play the Zelda games that I've missed. As a total new wii-comer, what wii controllers will I need to play Zelda / super Mario galaxy 2?

Wii Remote with MotionPlus, Nunchuk.

EDIT: oh, and a sensor bar. I think they sell Wii Remote Plus/sensor bar bundles now, with a Wii U logo on the box.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Commissar Ken posted:

Alright seeing as there's no ZombiU thread which is goofy i'll post this here for you who have gotten that far. Spoilers yo. Alright i'm on the mission where you have to get to the gas station in Spitalfield Green so you can get the generators back up for the safe house. Only problem is i'm stuck. I head to the back of the Markets down that one walkway and there's a coded door there. I look around with the black light and in that little two door shed there's half of a code in it and half of a code on the wall. Now I figured it was like the Raven's room in the Warehouses where you get the Dee letter and the smg (or like half of the Riddler's Clues in Arkham City) where you have to line it up and then scan it but unlike that one it's never lining up for me. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I'm pretty worried that my game is bonked since I still have the "get to the roof" mission from the prior mission that I guess glitched out and left the 'get to the roof' part there even though I did and it didn't accept it and it checked off all the objectives prior and after. Sorry for the rambling paragraph. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry 'bout all the black bars, thread, but better safe than sorry.

I just scanned the two seperate pieces of the code, it gave me x-x-number-number and number-number-x-x, then I just imput those. Can you not scan them at all? I had issues with the roof objective too, it wasn't starting the cutscene even after I cleared it off, but a quick save reload solved that. I'm not sure about your bug but I think if you're still getting the find fuel objectives you should be okay?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wii Remote with MotionPlus, Nunchuk.

EDIT: oh, and a sensor bar. I think they sell Wii Remote Plus/sensor bar bundles now, with a Wii U logo on the box.

Don't both SKUs come with a sensor bar? Sleepness should be set with just the controllers. Look for the Wii U branded remotes, though. They all have MotionPlus built in.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, I am not getting an answer for this in the Sonic All-Stars Racing topic, so I will try here: What is currently broken in the Wii U version, and how do I bypass it?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Uggghhh here we go. My deluxe has decided not to play Nintendo land. 5 minutes in and it freezes and blares like a vuvuzella at me from both the tv and the controller... This is going to be lovely if they can't fix this soon.

The quick fix until a patch arrives is to set park visitors to English speakers only.

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry, I am not getting an answer for this in the Sonic All-Stars Racing topic, so I will try here: What is currently broken in the Wii U version, and how do I bypass it?

Boost challenges don't have checkpoints. If you set the difficulty to C and fail multiple times, you'll be permitted to skip them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Unlucky7 posted:

Boost challenges (with the exception of one specific race) in World Tour mode are unbeatable because the checkpoints don't spawn. These can be bypassed by simply failing the race three times on the easiest difficulty. They also say certain multiplayer modes (I think it's the Wii U specific ones) are busted, but I don't have any personal experience on that one. The game is very much playable, and Sega is working on a patch now, but no ETA yet.

• Locked thread