Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah better heads works without better bodies, theyre two seperate mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone following OpenMW? They're redoing the Morrowind engine from scratch as an open-source cross-platform program. They're still working on implementing basic functionality but it loads the Morrowind data files and you can walk around the world and talk to people and such.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Got any links? A good source port could make modding the combat engine to be better an easier thing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://openmw.org/en/

There's also Project Aedra but it has a different scope and is only being done by one guy.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've been following OpenMW off and on for about two years or so. I'm glad it's still going, but it's definitely slow going. I haven't heard of Project Aedra, though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'm very pleased with my Morrowind mod list overall, except for two problems:

1) In Tel Uvirith, the storage room for Uvirith's Legacy has display cases that continuously repeat their closing animation. I've found this post that mentions it, hopefully I can track down those corrected scripts. If not, does anyone know how to fix it?

2) The game is overall very stable, except it likes to crash on area transitions, especially from inside to outside and vice versa. Is there anything to be done about that? I have 8 GB of ram and am using the 4gb+ patch on the exe, so I can't imagine that's the problem.

Mod list here.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Is there a good way to figure out which mods are causing the big fake warning meshes other than trial and error? Repairing the save with Wrye Mash doesn't fix anything.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Make sure you register your BSAs in Morrowind.ini, under [Archive] I think. Are you using Tamriel Rebuilt?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Make sure you register your BSAs in Morrowind.ini, under [Archive] I think. Are you using Tamriel Rebuilt?

I am. I just realized that myself in the past hour by googling. We'll see if it helps.

edit:

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Is there a good way to figure out which mods are causing the big fake warning meshes other than trial and error? Repairing the save with Wrye Mash doesn't fix anything.

Bring up the console and click on the missing mesh, or check your Warnings.txt to get the name. Then search for it; it's likely someone else is having the same problem. I can tell you that if you're missing a table, it's a known probelm with MGSO 3.0, and you need to go into meshes/f and delete furn_de_table_03.nif to fix it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Well, I had to fix the display case problem myself. For anyone else who is having problems with the display cases in Uvirith's Legacy, you can find my fix here.

edit: And I'm still getting crashes. It likes crashing as I'm entering a town from an interior cell. I think it's just the shock of loading a bunch of assets at once. Any tips?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
A few questions:

How frequently does it happen?
Are you using MGE's LOD? If so, does turning it off make a difference?
Do you see the outside at all before crashing, or does it crash as soon as you activate the door?
Do you get any error messages, or just the dialogue that it's stopped responding?
Does it go away when you turn off any mods?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Musical_Daredevil posted:

A few questions:

How frequently does it happen?

About every 30 mins to 2 hours. Frequently enough to bother me, but not unplayable.

Are you using MGE's LOD? If so, does turning it off make a difference?

I am. Before I was using a distance of 12, now I'm on 9. I think it's better? It's infrequent enough that it's hard to tell. I'd turn it off, but Morrowind is hard enough to navigate that I'd rather put up with some crashes than turn it off altogether.

Do you see the outside at all before crashing, or does it crash as soon as you activate the door?

I don't. The cell finishes loading, according to the loading bar, the screen goes black for a moment, and then instead of the exterior fading into view the game crashes to desktop.

Do you get any error messages, or just the dialogue that it's stopped responding?
Does it go away when you turn off any mods?

Just the standard message, crashing to desktop. In terms of mods, I'm running with the full MGSO installation plus a handful of mods for the Telvanni. Right now, I'm wondering if it's Morrowind Comes Alive, as that adds a ton of people to cities. However, I've had a crash outside Hla Oad, which has very few added people, usually.

In terms of where I've had crashes, it's been coming out of houses in Ald'Ruhn, Balmora, and especially Vivec. The occasional crash in other places, notably Hla Oad. I virtually never get crashes just walking around the world or transitioning to interior cells. At this point I'm guessing it's either Distant Land, lots of water (Vivec and Hla Oad), or lots of people from MCA.

My computer is a six core 3.3 GHz with 8 GB of RAM, HD6950 video card, and Windows 7, fwiw.

Edit: and I occasionally get crashes alt-tabbing out of Morrowind as I alt-tab back in, but that's an easy solution :v:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Cantorsdust posted:

In terms of where I've had crashes, it's been coming out of houses in Ald'Ruhn, Balmora, and especially Vivec. The occasional crash in other places, notably Hla Oad. I virtually never get crashes just walking around the world or transitioning to interior cells. At this point I'm guessing it's either Distant Land, lots of water (Vivec and Hla Oad), or lots of people from MCA.

My computer is a six core 3.3 GHz with 8 GB of RAM, HD6950 video card, and Windows 7, fwiw.

Edit: and I occasionally get crashes alt-tabbing out of Morrowind as I alt-tab back in, but that's an easy solution :v:

It could be LOD or MCA, but with the intervals you're getting (30min-2 hours) it may be one of those cases where Morrowind just decides to crash after a certain amount of time. The best fix I can give for that is to save often.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Adding multiple mods that change NPCs in various ways has turned out to be the cause of crashes for me.

At one point, I was running:

- Starfire NPC additions
- NX9 Guards Complete
- LGNPC
- Dialog Overhauls/additions

It seemed like every time I entered a town or loaded a save in a town it would crash. Removing any of those NPC related mods fixed it though.

nubdestoryer
Sep 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any mods that basically add Skyrim style combat and graphics improvements? I swear somewhere between Morrowind, Skyrim, and maybe a little Oblivion, there is the mix for the perfect rpg.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

nubdestoryer posted:

Are there any mods that basically add Skyrim style combat and graphics improvements? I swear somewhere between Morrowind, Skyrim, and maybe a little Oblivion, there is the mix for the perfect rpg.

Use MGSO for the graphics side man.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

You could always try Morrowblivion. That would at least get you Oblivion style combat.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MGSO for graphics. For combat you'll never get Skyrim style combat. The engine is just too old and outddated. All the combat mods I've seen are either buggy as gently caress or miss the point completely.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Two questions about the instructions in the OP:

#1) What is the UAC

#2) Do I need to worry about installing in administrator mode if I'm installing the game via Steam, as a Windows 7 user? If so, how? Tell Steam to run in administrator mode when I boot it up to install Morrowind? I already have Steam set to install games somewhere other than Program File (x86) so that's not a concern.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 3, 2012

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've recently learned that there are fortify skill spells you can buy, and that if you fortify mercantile 100 on yourself and then fortify the skill you want to 100 on any trainer, you turn him into a master trainer for a bit and then you can learn for super cheap. This got me thinking about how one would make the most broken character. Obviously everything would be amazing in the end, but I wonder how one would start out. Levelling Restoration, of course, for those spells, and some way to make lots of money fast. Thoughts?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Captain Oblivious posted:

I already have Steam set to install games somewhere other than Program File (x86) so that's not a concern.

If Steam isn't installing into Program Files (x86) or Program Files then you have nothing to worry about w/r/t anything to do with UAC and you can safely ignore all of those instructions.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've recently learned that there are fortify skill spells you can buy, and that if you fortify mercantile 100 on yourself and then fortify the skill you want to 100 on any trainer, you turn him into a master trainer for a bit and then you can learn for super cheap. This got me thinking about how one would make the most broken character. Obviously everything would be amazing in the end, but I wonder how one would start out. Levelling Restoration, of course, for those spells, and some way to make lots of money fast. Thoughts?

I guess you can also do the opposite, where you debuff yourself to pay for training at a cheaper rate. It's pretty funny how you can break this game.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Two questions about the instructions in the OP:

#1) What is the UAC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/user-account-control

Make sure you turn it off if you're using MGSO. I found the hard way that it can cause crashes even if the install goes fine.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I guess you can also do the opposite, where you debuff yourself to pay for training at a cheaper rate. It's pretty funny how you can break this game.

It's easier to train the debuff way, as every level of training just costs 1 gold.

My entry into "Let's Break Morrowind" shows this off here:
http://lparchive.org/Morrowind/Competition/

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

ulmont posted:

It's easier to train the debuff way, as every level of training just costs 1 gold.

My entry into "Let's Break Morrowind" shows this off here:
http://lparchive.org/Morrowind/Competition/

And should you ever run out of money for whatever reason you can just confuse the gently caress out of merchants.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dr Snofeld posted:

The question with Morrowind is not "how do I break this game?" but rather "how long can I go without breaking the game?". Some systems are broken, others just have really weird ways to interact with each other, yet despite the mess that can result no one knocks the game for it. In fact most people think that makes it even better. I should really get back to playing this sometime, maybe cleaning out that mod list :smith: It's been long enough since I've played that maybe it will all feel new to me.

Also the obvious choice for breaking the game is Alchemy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has anyone had any luck with Skywind? I was a bit daunted by all the installation steps at first, but I got at it over the weekend and got Morroblivion installed without a hitch. Only tried walking around Seyda Neen for a bit but no issues, so I went ahead to the second part of the process, and no dice. CTD on load and it just hangs forever if I try to make a new game, works fine if I disable the mod in data files. Tried just playing vanilla Skyrim for a bit but was reminded what a poo poo show it was in terms of controls.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The question with Morrowind is not "how do I break this game?" but rather "how long can I go without breaking the game?". Some systems are broken, others just have really weird ways to interact with each other, yet despite the mess that can result no one knocks the game for it. In fact most people think that makes it even better. I should really get back to playing this sometime, maybe cleaning out that mod list :smith: It's been long enough since I've played that maybe it will all feel new to me.

Also the obvious choice for breaking the game is Alchemy.

I guess I'm no one then since I think the inability to play the game without breaking it is what's keeping me from enjoying the game. Pity since everyone says it's so great and all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pretty much every Elder Scrolls game is meant to be broken. If you can't enjoy that, you probably won't enjoy Elder Scrolls. But that's not really the games fault. Sometimes things just aren't to our tastes!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah it's part of the journey as you go from a level 1 nobody to level 50 disturbingly powerful demigod. Honestly, breaking the game is one of the fun parts of the game.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

And should you ever run out of money for whatever reason you can just confuse the gently caress out of merchants.

:stare: Good God almighty, even after ten years I'm still finding out crazy-rear end ways to break this game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty much every Elder Scrolls game is meant to be broken. If you can't enjoy that, you probably won't enjoy Elder Scrolls. But that's not really the games fault. Sometimes things just aren't to our tastes!

The difference is that in Skyrim, I actually have to work to break the game prior to the 60-70 hour mark in any given playthrough, and usually by that point I'll have moved on to another character. In Oblivion, I don't think I've ever gotten so powerful that I'd call it game breaking. In fact the only thing I see in the entire game that fits that description is the 100% Chameleon suit.

With Morrowind, the game's fallen apart within 5 or so hours tops. I don't think I've ever even gotten to even finish the Vivec Informants quest without having some sort of Daedric weaponry, Overly protective armor, quick murder enchantment, or so much money that even purchasing training for every single skill to 100 without exploits wouldn't make a dent in my wallet. You really can't compare Morrowind's balance job to Oblivion 's or Skyrim's, because the latter two games actually look really well balanced by comparison.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A quick question about this step of modding

5. Install files 1-7 in this .zip folder (compiled by Hadlock). It includes dx9 full, visual c++ 2008 redist, .net framework 2.0, .net framework 4.0, and JRE win64. Number 6 can be extracted to your main Morrowind folder and number 7 to your Data Files folder. Number 8 is Oggumogoggum's megapack (described below), which is optional but highly recommended.

Is there an easy way to check whether or not I need files 1-5 of this? I know I already have Visual C++ 2008 Redist, and I'm pretty sure I have .net framework 4.0 but I'm not sure.

I don't want to go all redundant installations if I don't have to. I'm also not sure I even used the DX9 file in that .zip correctly since it just dumped a whole bunch of poo poo out that I'm not sure what to do with.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The MSGO verifies that you have the proper files as you install it. I did a reinstall and it's fantastic. I love the grass flowing past you as you run.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

With Morrowind, the game's fallen apart within 5 or so hours tops. I don't think I've ever even gotten to even finish the Vivec Informants quest without having some sort of Daedric weaponry, Overly protective armor, quick murder enchantment, or so much money that even purchasing training for every single skill to 100 without exploits wouldn't make a dent in my wallet. You really can't compare Morrowind's balance job to Oblivion 's or Skyrim's, because the latter two games actually look really well balanced by comparison.

You don't have to abuse alchemy, run straight to easy-to-get artifacts and high-end gear, spend months selling expensive things to Creeper, or use exploits ya know. Though it's plenty fun to have a level 3 character with attributes in the tens of thousands, constantly regenerating health, etc., you can also make a character and actually role play instead of just power-gaming. Make a Dunmer temple acolyte that hates the Daedra and anything associated with them, or a member of the Imperial Legion contemptuous of Dunmer culture, and so on. Though it's still possible to break the game, and you'll eventually become so powerful it won't matter either way, it's not nearly as easy you make it out to be unless you're trying to do so.

Oblivion is only balanced in the sense that the level-scaling is so pervasive that the entire game is a bland mixture of indistinguishable combat because it doesn't matter if you're level 1 or 50, everything is tweaked to present the same challenge unless you focused on non-combat skills, in which case you just die. I should never have been able to handily beat the demi-god Worm King at level 2 with melee skills, and there shouldn't be hundreds of bandits throughout Cyrodiil wearing glass or daedric armor just because I'm over level 30.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has there ever been a game released during Morrowind's generation or since that has been so completely open to letting the player create pretty much any type of character they can think of within the context of the world, then make that character take any role they can think of, and have the game support it to the degree Morrowind does?

Preem Palver posted:

I should never have been able to handily beat the demi-god Worm King at level 2 with melee skills, and there shouldn't be hundreds of bandits throughout Cyrodiil wearing glass or daedric armor just because I'm over level 30.

Behold the limitless power and nightmarish visage of Worm King, necromancer demigod.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 4, 2012

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

GreatGreen posted:

Has there ever been a game released during Morrowind's generation or since that has been so completely open to letting the player create pretty much any type of character they can think of within the context of the world, then make that character take any role they can think of, and have the game support it to the degree Morrowind does?

I don't think so. I was only thinking yesterday after playing how open the game was, especially due to them not using experience like other rpgs.
A quest giving to escort some chump could be completed by escorting him and getting the document he held as a reward, or simply leading him out of town, killing him and taking it. In a experience based RPG doing good would always be the more profitable option, as you'd no doubt get XP when he's delivered where killing him would lose out on that.

The way they built the game really left it open for what you wanna do. Even if that means breaking it and becoming a demi-god almost straight away.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I just reinstalled Morrowind and am checking to see if I had a newer assembly of mods for my pack on my old laptop. With any luck (and some free time) I'll try to get a new release of my modpack out over the holidays. At the very least I'll get some better screenshots.

e: I made this exact post well over a year ago. We'll see what happens this time. :\

Malsgrein fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 4, 2012

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

If you've played Morrowind a few times you may not want to spend a month getting up to level 10. Sometimes it's fun to find your particular favorite shortcut and kick around the game knowing you don't have to worry about too much. (Even so, no matter how powerful your character is there's going to be someone or something to kick your rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
This may have come up already - I reinstalled Morrowind the other day and I thought I'd give MSGO a go, but whatever shaders or graphics settings are turned on automatically, everything is ridiculously dark. I went into the mine near Seyda Neen with the bandits in it, and when I got to the part where you swim into a little underground cavern with a skeleton at the bottom, I literally couldn't see a thing!

I was thinking of just uninstalling Morrowind, then installing it again with all of the mods in the .zip file in the OP. Do I still need to install Wrye Mash before installing any other mods? I remember it being a bit of a pain to get working before, but MSGO hasn't exactly been as hassle-free as I was expecting. I just want some nice looking trees... :sigh: