Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

I have Cyanogen 10 on my Galaxy S II and I'd like to go back to gingerbread. Is it possible to just throw a gingerbread ROM into odin and revert?

I'm trying to decipher this list to find the right one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

My baseband is XXLPQ but all I can see for that is 4.0.3.

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Entire Universe posted:

Possibly with Tasker.

Though unless something got updated within Tasker, you also need this plugin.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Anyone gotten flash video working on jellybean?

I'm trying to install the apk and use it in dolphin or the stock browser like they talk about here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336
But I'm just getting distorted video, tried several different flash versions and dolphin versions and get the same thing every time. I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with my rom but I can't navigate thousands of page long "dev-only" threads over there. (it's cm10 based jellytime for desire hd)

I have a subsonic server at home and flash is how I watch a lot of my movies and tv eps while away, it'd be nice to be able to do on phone again.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 24, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Anyone gotten flash video working on jellybean?

I'm trying to install the apk and use it in dolphin or the stock browser like they talk about here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336
But I'm just getting distorted video, tried several different flash versions and dolphin versions and get the same thing every time. I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with my rom but I can't navigate thousands of page long "dev-only" threads over there. (it's cm10 based jellytime for desire hd)

I have a subsonic server at home and flash is how I watch a lot of my movies and tv eps while away, it'd be nice to be able to do on phone again.
Can't you just install the Flash APK as you normally would? It works fine in the stock browser on my Galaxy Nexus running CM10.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

LastInLine posted:

Can't you just install the Flash APK as you normally would? It works fine in the stock browser on my Galaxy Nexus running CM10.

Yeah, they aren't doing anything special for the flash apk, just that they have several versions of it and choosing some special options in dolphin. I get distorted video in stock or dolphin, just a bunch of broken diagonal lines.

I'm remembering something from the thread I got my rom from about "hw overlays" causing problems and you may need to disable hw overlays. I've tried checking a box that says exactly that in dev options but it doesn't change anything and that setting doesn't seem to survive a reboot.

edit: weird I just got one vid to play for a few secs in stock browser until I hit the volume button. Then it just showed a scrambled view of the volume bar in the vid window.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 24, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Yeah, they aren't doing anything special for the flash apk, just that they have several versions of it and choosing some special options in dolphin. I get distorted video in stock or dolphin, just a bunch of broken diagonal lines.

I'm remembering something from the thread I got my rom from about "hw overlays" causing problems and you may need to disable hw overlays. I've tried checking a box that says exactly that in dev options but it doesn't change anything and that setting doesn't seem to survive a reboot.

edit: weird I just got one vid to play for a few secs in stock browser until I hit the volume button. Then it just showed a scrambled view of the volume bar in the vid window.
Basically Flash is dead. It kind of works, sort of, if you're lucky. But it isn't a thing that will keep working or ever get updated/fixed so you may as well give up on it now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've given up on Flash on Android - when it did/does work, it is just too laggy/buggy to bother with.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wagonburner posted:

I'm using Jellytime on my Inspire, and what I did was to simply restore the Flash app i had backed up with Titanium Backup on my Gingerbread ROM i'd been using before Jellytime. That worked.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I flashed the Flash apk and used Firefox, works great.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

DemonMage posted:

Titanium Backup and AdAway primarily. Or if you hate the minor UI changes TouchWiz has and want CM10 instead. Or if you want to throw Google Now on there and you haven't gotten the Jelly Bean update on your carrier yet.

Thanks for the quick response here, I was thinking of doing the same thing but could not decide whether it was worth the hassle at the moment. Maybe to disable the stupid camera shutter sound?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Thanks for the quick response here, I was thinking of doing the same thing but could not decide whether it was worth the hassle at the moment. Maybe to disable the stupid camera shutter sound?

Specific apps have this ability without root. I use Camera Zoom FX as my main camera app, and it has the feature to disable the shutter sound.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah, the ability to disable the shutter sound or not is also carrier specific in the first place. T-Mobile and Verizon SGS3 for example just have a menu option to disable it in stock. For some other carriers, if you mute the phone before opening the Camera app (maybe even after?) it'll disable the shutter sound.

Once you're rooted you can rename/delete:

shutter.ogg, shutter_multiple.ogg, Auto_focus.ogg and Auto_focus_error.ogg, in System\Media\Audio\UI

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Boywunda posted:

Specific apps have this ability without root. I use Camera Zoom FX as my main camera app, and it has the feature to disable the shutter sound.

Camera Zoom FX cannot disable the shutter sound on my Virgin Mobile S3, unfortunately, only workaround is what DemonMage said.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any ideas as to why my battery is dropping like this with virtually no screen-on or awake time? It seems pretty unusual for just sitting on my desk unplugged all day.

I'm running CM10 on my Verizon GS3, and I do not have Light Flow installed.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 26, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What does the battery history say? Awful Betamax was murdering my battery earlier today until I killed it, but it showed up high in my battery history, and I have to assume that you would have noticed something like that while trying to get to the battery graph.

edit: and I wouldn't really consider that almost no awake time. That's probably about a third awake time.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
It had a lot of (over 30%) Maps time, but GPS is near zero use according to the battery graph there. Betamax was down at like 2%.

I deliberately let the phone alone all day to see what would happen, the only screen-on time is when I was checking battery levels.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Aatrek posted:

Any ideas as to why my battery is dropping like this with virtually no screen-on or awake time? It seems pretty unusual for just sitting on my desk unplugged all day.

I'm running CM10 on my Verizon GS3, and I do not have Light Flow installed.

What are you talking about? That's a shitload of awake time while the screen is off. Time to grab Better Battery Stats and see which app keeps waking things up.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
New to the Sprint GS3, I haven't rooted it yet but am considering it (at the least to just remove the camera shutter sound). What is the consensus on a safe rooting method and a good custom recovery? I have found 2 or 3 ways to go about it, but am nervous about bricking.

Is it even worth it to get CM10?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
What is a good lightweight ROM for the crespo4g (sprint nexus s 4g)? The fact that this thing only has 512 mob ram is a bit limiting it seems, and cm10 isn't cutting it. Stock is usable, but I have to really work to keep memory usage low.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

New to the Sprint GS3, I haven't rooted it yet but am considering it (at the least to just remove the camera shutter sound). What is the consensus on a safe rooting method and a good custom recovery? I have found 2 or 3 ways to go about it, but am nervous about bricking.

When I did it months ago, it was as simple as flashing a rooted kernel with Odin, but it may have become more difficult since the jelly bean update. Yes it is worth it because it's not that difficult and once it's done, it's done and you're free to do whatever you'd like.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

New to the Sprint GS3, I haven't rooted it yet but am considering it (at the least to just remove the camera shutter sound).
FWIW, the "right" way to remove the camera shutter sound in Jellybean (LJ7) is to edit "/system/csc/feature.xml" and change the "<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>" entry from "false" to "true". Once done, (and rebooted?) there will be a "Shutter sound" menu option in the Camera app, for which you can select "Off".

On ICS ROMs (e.g., LI3) you have to do the above, and edit "/system/build.prop" and change the "ro.camera.sound.forced" entry from "1" to "0". This is no longer necessary in Jellybean.

Or you can just remove the sound files, which is also fine.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

What is the consensus on a safe rooting method and a good custom recovery?
Personally I just use the tried-and-true "Odin a custom recovery", then flash Superuser in recovery. The CyanogenMod ClockworkMod guide has reasonable directions for this.

The downside to the Odin approach is that it increases the device's flash counter ("custom binary count") which indicates to Samsung (and anyone who checks) that the device has been modified. There's rooting approaches that use exploits to avoid this, and there may also be methods to reset the flash counter. Personally I don't give a poo poo.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

CM10 runs pretty well on the SGS3. Whether you want to install it depends on your desires. Until the 4.2 merge is complete, stock Jellybean and CM10 are more or less at parity with each other (4.1.1 vs 4.1.2, but meh).

The real benefit to running CM10 right now is to get an AOSP(ish) experience instead of TouchWiz. There's no major downsides, except that LTE handoff doesn't work well for everyone at present, and the CM10/AOSP camera blows compared to TouchWiz. But if you're happy with TouchWiz, you're not really missing a whole lot right now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tatsujin posted:

What is a good lightweight ROM for the crespo4g (sprint nexus s 4g)? The fact that this thing only has 512 mob ram is a bit limiting it seems, and cm10 isn't cutting it. Stock is usable, but I have to really work to keep memory usage low.
If you use a BigMem kernel you can reduce a good deal of the memory usage problems but my wife had other problems when she was using it and had to go back to the stock kernel.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

FWIW, the "right" way to remove the camera shutter sound in Jellybean (LJ7) is to edit "/system/csc/feature.xml" and change the "<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>" entry from "false" to "true". Once done, (and rebooted?) there will be a "Shutter sound" menu option in the Camera app, for which you can select "Off".

On ICS ROMs (e.g., LI3) you have to do the above, and edit "/system/build.prop" and change the "ro.camera.sound.forced" entry from "1" to "0". This is no longer necessary in Jellybean.

Personally I just use the tried-and-true "Odin a custom recovery", then flash Superuser in recovery. The CyanogenMod ClockworkMod guide has reasonable directions for this.

The downside to the Odin approach is that it increases the device's flash counter ("custom binary count") which indicates to Samsung (and anyone who checks) that the device has been modified. There's rooting approaches that use exploits to avoid this, and there may also be methods to reset the flash counter. Personally I don't give a poo poo.
Thanks for the info on how to adjust this, I think Ill be rooting tonight.

FYI, there is an app that lets you change the flash count apparently

ExcessBLarg! posted:

CM10 runs pretty well on the SGS3. Whether you want to install it depends on your desires. Until the 4.2 merge is complete, stock Jellybean and CM10 are more or less at parity with each other (4.1.1 vs 4.1.2, but meh).

The real benefit to running CM10 right now is to get an AOSP(ish) experience instead of TouchWiz. There's no major downsides, except that LTE handoff doesn't work well for everyone at present, and the CM10/AOSP camera blows compared to TouchWiz. But if you're happy with TouchWiz, you're not really missing a whole lot right now.

So far TouchWiz isn't as bad as I had anticipated, so I'm not going to bother going much deeper with it. You can still use goggle now on stock and with the other customization options that root provides, I don't think I will be wanting of much else.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

LastInLine posted:

If you use a BigMem kernel you can reduce a good deal of the memory usage problems but my wife had other problems when she was using it and had to go back to the stock kernel.

Thanks, I installed matr1x on stock, we'll see how it goes

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I tried to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 4g (GT-I9305T) (Telstra) with super one click and Odin (the former didn't work, the latter... well, it didn't give me root access and the imei now returns as null/null, so I can't use the phone bit of the drat phone. Haven't installed any rom, obviously.

I have been and am trawling the xda forums, but thus far haven't found any solutions that work. Help me goons, you're my only hope (to restore my phone to the basic, default way of living)!
:(

(although I do still want to root it, I might hold off until somebody has a guaranteed Telstra s3 method)

EDIT: Problem solved! Any other GT-I9305T users that have a similar problem, check out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1946915 under "Recovering IMEI And Data Connection After Flashing WRONG Root Package Intended For I9300". It means that like me, you did a stupid thing.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 27, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For other Desire HD/Inspire 4G users: I just upgraded to Release 29 of Jellytime from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1778202

It seems to use a lot less battery while just sitting in my pocket in low-signal areas than any previous rom I've had on the device (stock, gingerbread, or jelly bean) as well as being otherwise stable and fast and all that.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
If I'm rooted and bootloader unlocked, do I have anything top worry about when installing OTA updates?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

One annoying CM10 bug I've never noticed anybody mention: if you're in an app, and enter another app, either by clicking on a notification or with recent apps, if you back out of that second app, it'll toss you to the homescreen rather than back to the first app you were in. This isn't the intended Android behavior right?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409987742"]
If I'm rooted and bootloader unlocked, do I have anything top worry about when installing OTA updates?
OTAs will fail if you aren't using a perfectly stock ROM. It will also usually kill your root but sometimes it's fine, depending on what changes. If you're on a Nexus then re-rooting is like a 2min process so meh who cares.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Tunga posted:

OTAs will fail if you aren't using a perfectly stock ROM. It will also usually kill your root but sometimes it's fine, depending on what changes. If you're on a Nexus then re-rooting is like a 2min process so meh who cares.

It is perfectly stock. OTAs won't wipe out everything, right?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

One annoying CM10 bug I've never noticed anybody mention: if you're in an app, and enter another app, either by clicking on a notification or with recent apps, if you back out of that second app, it'll toss you to the homescreen rather than back to the first app you were in. This isn't the intended Android behavior right?

Nope, I'm bone stock on my GNex and it still does it. Went into Awful, then Facebook via recent apps, then Messaging from a notification. Backed out of Messaging to the homescreen. Its not consistent, usually backing out of the browser after viewing a link from Awful for instance will bring me back to Awful.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

Nope, I'm bone stock on my GNex and it still does it. Went into Awful, then Facebook via recent apps, then Messaging from a notification. Backed out of Messaging to the homescreen. Its not consistent, usually backing out of the browser after viewing a link from Awful for instance will bring me back to Awful.

Yeah, opening the browser via a link then backing out of it will take me back to the previous app, but the other ways I mentioned never work. Way to go, Google.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409989111"]
It is perfectly stock. OTAs won't wipe out everything, right?
They won't wipe out anything but download the app OTA Rootkeeper and updating won't even kill root.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So I did this last night, and just for everone's benefit, the "feature.xml" fix doesnt work for the stock GS3 camera, renaming the sound files worked though (system/media/audio/ui/). Thanks again for the tip on how to root.

I have a question about root though, perhaps someone can help answer here. So with the GS3 I used odin to push clockworkmod as the custom recovery, I went in and flashed superuser from here. After a normal boot sequence it re-formats the custom recovery with the stock recovery again, and I keep root anyways. So if I re-set the counter of custom bootloader flashes, and uninstall the superuser app, will I return to "stock" without root access and no indication that the phone had been rooted?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

So I did this last night, and just for everone's benefit, the "feature.xml" fix doesnt work for the stock GS3 camera,
I assure you it does for the Sprint model on the LJ7 stock ROM--not sure why you had trouble with it. :confused: Oh well, removing the sound files is easier and no harm done, glad you got it working.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

After a normal boot sequence it re-formats the custom recovery with the stock recovery again,
This is an artifact of the OTA update process. If you've ever accepted an OTA update, then it will check recovery on every boot and reflash it if it doesn't match what it expects (stock recovery), unless you're also running a custom kernel.

The purpose of the "adb shell" commands in lines 14-16 of the CyanogenMod Full Update Guide remove the files added by the OTA update that reflash recovery. So if you want to keep a custom recovery around, you'll either have to perform those steps manually, or find an "update.zip" that does them for you. But since you want to keep stock recovery, that's fine too.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

So if I re-set the counter of custom bootloader flashes, and uninstall the superuser app, will I return to "stock" without root access and no indication that the phone had been rooted?
Unclear. Samsung has some other checks to see if the device is running in a modified state, which you can see in "About Phone" (or whatever) in the Settings menu. It may be that if you do as you said, and possibly a "Factory Data Reset", that it will revert back to Clean status. I've never tried.

Remember, should another OTA update come out, you'll have to revert the "feature.xml" change (which you can do now if you haven't already since the sound files are gone), and possibly replace the sound files for the OTA update to install. You'll also "lose root" unless you use one of those OTA RootKeeper things or a modified update package. Alternatively, you can install the OTA update, and redo the ClockworkMod and Superuser install, and that'll fix it too.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah, opening the browser via a link then backing out of it will take me back to the previous app, but the other ways I mentioned never work. Way to go, Google.

Unfortunately this is by design. There's a Google I/O video that explains exactly how the stack is intended to work and to be honest it's pretty drat confusing and kinda sucks for a multitasking OS.

Any application you launch will utilize its own stack for navigation purposes. The application then launches Activities that add to the stack.

The Awful example works because the stack looks like this:
Launcher > Awful Activity > Browser Activity

Switching apps using the recent apps drawer or the notification shade will start/reopen entirely new stacks.

The only way that apps will go back to other apps via the back button generally involves you launching the second app from within the first one. But it gets even more complicated considering that apps can override what the OS back button does and that fucks everything up. (Browser will do this)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

w00tazn posted:

Unfortunately this is by design. There's a Google I/O video that explains exactly how the stack is intended to work and to be honest it's pretty drat confusing and kinda sucks for a multitasking OS.

Any application you launch will utilize its own stack for navigation purposes. The application then launches Activities that add to the stack.

The Awful example works because the stack looks like this:
Launcher > Awful Activity > Browser Activity

Switching apps using the recent apps drawer or the notification shade will start/reopen entirely new stacks.

The only way that apps will go back to other apps via the back button generally involves you launching the second app from within the first one. But it gets even more complicated considering that apps can override what the OS back button does and that fucks everything up. (Browser will do this)

I could have swore it didn't work like this as recently as ICS. Is this something new in Jelly Bean or am I crazy and it's always been like this?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On my ICS rooted stock (Virgin Canada), I don't have a features.xml or the build.prop entry?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I could have swore it didn't work like this as recently as ICS. Is this something new in Jelly Bean or am I crazy and it's always been like this?
You're crazy, it's always been this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
What are my options for ROMs when it comes to the Razr Maxxxxxxxx? I would like CM10 but there is no official support and from what I can find the only option for it is buggy as poo poo dev versions.