Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
GGs Purgatos. Elizabeth is a pain V____V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Jmcrofts posted:

GGs Purgatos. Elizabeth is a pain V____V

GGs to you too, I don't know how you read my wakeup EVERY time. I was so mindfucked that I couldn't do anything right in the last couple of matches.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fun posted:

GGs to you too, I don't know how you read my wakeup EVERY time. I was so mindfucked that I couldn't do anything right in the last couple of matches.

Well, whenever you would DP and I would counter with my own DP, that's on reaction, not a guess. Other than that I just kind of gauge when I think you're going to dodge roll, and command throw if it feels right. Liz having bad wakeup is just about the only bearable thing about that matchup.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Jmcrofts posted:

Well, whenever you would DP and I would counter with my own DP, that's on reaction, not a guess. Other than that I just kind of gauge when I think you're going to dodge roll, and command throw if it feels right. Liz having bad wakeup is just about the only bearable thing about that matchup.

Yeah I noticed that with the DP when you did it a second time and then just forgot and gave it to you a third time.

In your favour you've got the bad wakeup and the fact that any hit converts to 50%+ of my life because I'm frail as heck.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The lovely thing is Liz is really hard to fatal as Kanji for a bunch of reasons, so the combos that do 40-50% on most characters WOULD do like 65% on Liz but you just never get the chance to land them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Breaking news: absolutely no-one surprised.

Persona Europe Facebook posted:

Unfortunately, there is still no new information to give you which was not originally covered in the FAQ. For those of you who missed that, you can find it here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=345945482146470&set=a.293977660676586.62381.166777336729953&type=1&theater

With that being the case, a 2012 release for Persona 4 Arena is now no longer possible.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, I'm honestly at the point where I won't even bother with a pre-owned copy. I just can not be arsed with this nonsense from Atlus (and Zen, their choice in PR methods is awful).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So pretty much their entire reason for region locking the PS3 version was totally false. Neat.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
At this point the only way to salvage this release for Europe is to have a major revision at a reduced base price. AE was $40? IIRC. They could probably do that if they add enough content to justify it.

I'm sure they could soften people's hearts by adding more of people's favorite Persona/SMT characters :3:, not to mention the vast majority agrees the game could use some balance changes.

This is just wishful thinking though, first they need to show a little more competency!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I will only buy the game if I can play as one of the following;
The Demi-Fiend, Classic Danté or Jack Frost.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just wait, vanilla P4U is gonna come out in Europe promptly after America gets a new version.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah gently caress it, I'm out. I was kinda hyped for this like half a year ago but uhhhhhhh

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Yeah I'm done. I would have bought this in September to tide my Persona cravings over to 4 Golden but now that game is nearly out and Arena will not make this year means that I really don't care any more. I'll pick it up for like $20 in a year or two.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
yeah, this ain't happening. I was only interested in the story anyway, so I guess I'll hold out for a Let's Play.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I dont really care about the story that much but its going to be completely dead on arrival when it finally gets here

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Lemme put it this way, I really hope ether a) Golden sells gangbusters or b) NIS takes initiative and makes partnering with Atlus a permanent thing otherwise this will keep happening and, really, I thought we were largely past this sort of poo poo.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
I'm kinda looking to get back into this game on the PS3. Is anyone else still playing much?

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I'm kinda looking to get back into this game on the PS3. Is anyone else still playing much?

Yeah. PSN: purgatos

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I do! PSN is Troffen.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'll be playing more soon since I'm moving to a place with an actual scene in a month, feel free to add me on PSN @ Countblanc

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I play all the drat time, psn: jmcrofts

E: that goes for the rest of you guys ^^ too let's go!

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

I play all the drat time, psn: jmcrofts

E: that goes for the rest of you guys ^^ too let's go!

GGs dude!

Labrys/Kanji is a crazy fun match up, I'm actually learning how to use her tools instead of just IAD j.b and 2b all day.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Troffen posted:

GGs dude!

Labrys/Kanji is a crazy fun match up, I'm actually learning how to use her tools instead of just IAD j.b and 2b all day.

Word, the matchup can be pretty fair for Labrys if you abuse the poo poo out of her Persona projectiles, but when Kanji gets that knockdown it's curtains. GGs!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

For a bit of extra hilarity in that matchup, Kanji can R-Action her Chain Knuckle and she gets hit. Makes sense from a logical stand point I guess, but they really did just make Chain Knuckle have the worst possible properties in every situation.

That is a pretty fun/good matchup in general though.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

For a bit of extra hilarity in that matchup, Kanji can R-Action her Chain Knuckle and she gets hit. Makes sense from a logical stand point I guess, but they really did just make Chain Knuckle have the worst possible properties in every situation.

That is a pretty fun/good matchup in general though.

He totally did that to me when I was trying to catch his persona calling the lightning and I was laughing my rear end off.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Funny the Labrys/Kanji match is being discussed as that's what I was playing all night. Nothing will get you to practice on not jumping like a Kanji who likes doing his aerial dive. I lost more than I won, but it is indeed a really fun matchup.

I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who has a hard time working the chain projectile into my game plan. It seems like everyone has an obvious answer for it and it's hard to implement.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Antillese posted:

Funny the Labrys/Kanji match is being discussed as that's what I was playing all night. Nothing will get you to practice on not jumping like a Kanji who likes doing his aerial dive. I lost more than I won, but it is indeed a really fun matchup.

I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who has a hard time working the chain projectile into my game plan. It seems like everyone has an obvious answer for it and it's hard to implement.

Naoto DP can take off two fate counters from full screen :getin:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Man, I'm getting completely hosed online. I took a long break to play Borderlands 2 and Sleeping Dogs and pretty much everyone online is S rank or higher. I maybe won 2 out of my 20 matches today. I'm UltimateZAR on PSN and I play as Yu. It gets really humiliating when someone dominates me as their main character, then switches to Yu in the next match and still completely destroys me...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Antillese posted:

Yeah I use it extremely little outside of combos. No solid blockstrings into it from 5A/2A and your options even when you get them to block it are terrible.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Man, I'm getting completely hosed online. I took a long break to play Borderlands 2 and Sleeping Dogs and pretty much everyone online is S rank or higher. I maybe won 2 out of my 20 matches today. I'm UltimateZAR on PSN and I play as Yu. It gets really humiliating when someone dominates me as their main character, then switches to Yu in the next match and still completely destroys me...

Don't worry. There are plenty of people who are rank C with a 30% record like me. It's just that we all have two kids, and get to play 30 minutes on a good day so yeah, it's hard to find us online.

If anyone wants a sparring partner, I'm on xbl with the same username. Add me and mention SA so I don't block you by reflex.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
If anyone else is still looking for match-ups on the PSN, I'm there as MagicalFury. I'm between a few characters, but combo links are still pretty foreign to me, so I don't feel that good yet.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
I recently moved from Japan to Northern Europe.
If there are any european players who own an american or japanese ps3, I'll be up for matches.
PSN: Satsuasdf

Doyagao fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 27, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
This isn't about Persona 4 but it is about Persona, 2 specifically. Is there any hope of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP coming to the US or should I give up hope?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
You might have better luck asking in the Megami Tensei Megathread.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Coca Koala posted:

You might have better luck asking in the Megami Tensei Megathread.

Yeah I quick searched Persona and made the post here by mistake i'm terribly sorry.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
So I played a Kanji earlier and he canceled 2B into 236A/B with no burst or omc. I'm trying to so something similar and it just won't go off like he did it. Also, are there any really basic non burst or omc combos that Kanji has to deal 2-4k damage? I can do a few, but I really need to up my arsenal, because I'm becoming way too predictable. For the record I've checked DL and SRK and cannot find the combo he did.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zetta_Slow posted:

So I played a Kanji earlier and he canceled 2B into 236A/B with no burst or omc. I'm trying to so something similar and it just won't go off like he did it. Also, are there any really basic non burst or omc combos that Kanji has to deal 2-4k damage? I can do a few, but I really need to up my arsenal, because I'm becoming way too predictable. For the record I've checked DL and SRK and cannot find the combo he did.

If crouching: 5AA 2B 236CD j.B, 2B -> 236B~214B or 236C.
If jumping: 5AA, jA jB jump cancel, jA jB 214B

Highest damage ground combo with no meter is I believe 5AA 5B 2AB 236A.

Off ch 2B: 5C 236B 5A 5B 2B 236B~214B or 236C.

Kanji has no high damage, standing meterless combos off 5A, which is the move you'll be landing the most. Most of the time they should be jumping though when you hit it...

If you need a punish combo, anything off 5C CH should lead to 5k.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zetta_Slow posted:

Are you not getting it to cancel? Or does the cancel happen but it doesn't hit them?

2B only combos into 236B on counter-hit, it'll whiff under them if the 2b isn't a counter. It's worth practicing though because it forms the basis for a lot of his good punishes.

Without OMC or burst, Kanji doesn't have very good non-counterhit combos. If you get a counterhit though he can do some pretty crazy stuff. I'll just post some of my meterless/burstless BnBs for you

If you hit them:
-Standing, non-counterhit: 5aa 2a+b xx 236A
OR 5aaaa
(the first combo knocks down, the second one doesn't. switch up between them to mix up your oki)

-Crouching, non-counterhit: 5aa 2b xx 236C
OR 5aa 2b xx 236C
(afaik these both do the same damage, but the second one lets you get more if you OMC/OMB)

-Jumping, non-counterhit: 5aa jump j.ab (optional double jump j.ab) xx 214B
(get good at confirming whether they are standing, crouching, or jumping after 5aa. You need this to punish people for trying to jump out of command grab setups.)

-Standing, counterhit: 2b 5c xx 236B, 5aa xx 236C
(use this to punish DPs that don't give you enough time to fatal after. This is really good against Yukiko's DP which is kind of hard to punish.)

-Standing, fatal counter: 5c 2c 2b xx 236B, 2a 2b xx 236B, 5aa xx 236C
(really brutal fatal combo. Good for punishing DPs with a lot of recovery like Mitsu, Labrys, etc or for just poking with to fish for a fatal)

-If you land a fatal jump C: dash up 2b 5c xx 236B, 2a 2b xx 236B, 5aa xx 236C
(jumping in with jump C is good for fishing for fatals, since it beats a lot of 2b anti-airs. Mix this in to make them scared to AA you.)

There's probably some stuff I'm forgetting but these should get you started.

E: beaten but more words = better than, obviously

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 27, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
You only want to use 5aaaa if you need meter, otherwise 5aa whatever into sweep 236A is just better in every way.

Also the 2B CH combo I posted is more damage :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Waterbed posted:

You only want to use 5aaaa if you need meter, otherwise 5aa whatever into sweep 236A is just better in every way.

I disagree. In addition to giving you more meter and bringing back some burst gauge, 5aaaa can lead to a more unpredictable command throw mixup since a lot of times people will have gotten used to the kind of oki you'll do after a sweep 236a. This also stops them from trying to mess you up with a late tech. Sweep->236a is definitely better but I wouldn't do it every single time.

E:

Waterbed posted:

Also the 2B CH combo I posted is more damage :)

Whoops I forgot the 5c. Anyway I never do the 5a 5b 2b stuff because it makes the combo way way harder for very little extra damage.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 27, 2012

• Locked thread