Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Robolizard! posted:

Are you serious? That literally should never have to be asked ever ever ever ever

Can you explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I needed a break this holiday weekend, and I was lucky enough to snag a Wii U on Tuesday, and it has made my vacation. NSMBU is great and Nintendo Land is more fun than I imagined it had any right to be. I'm also impressed with Miiverse, and love drawing for basically everything I post, so if you like dumb Nintendo-related scribblings you can add fortis I guess!

I'm also pretty stoked to have gotten a Wii U early on because I was actually able to getting username I want on a service like this. :v:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can you explain?

No one really wants their stats collected least of all by Ubisoft as their intrusive and annoying DRM has been an issue for a long time and is only recently being addressed. So anyway we as consumer can stick it to them is a good thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can you explain?

Ubisoft is an intrusive company who abuses their customers. Why would I want to give them any information about myself, even anonymously, when they're just going to use it to further that abusive relationship with their customers.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If I felt that strongly about wanting to stop Ubisoft from furthering their goals I would... not buy Ubisoft games. I bet an individual's $60 is doing way more for them than an individual's game playing habits.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Ubisoft is an intrusive company who abuses their customers. Why would I want to give them any information about myself, even anonymously, when they're just going to use it to further that abusive relationship with their customers.

I dunno man, if you feel so strongly about not encouraging their business practices then why are you giving them your money in the first place?

Every game collects the same kind of data, though most do it through the achievement system. Since the Wii U doesn't have achievements, it follows that publishers would use some other method. The question is, did Ubisoft have to ask permission or could they have just collected the data without telling the user?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 25, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Revol posted:

The most shocking thing about Miiverse is that the general population is pretty chill. I would have expected it to be overrun with bozos, but it isn't.

Maybe there's just some sort of amazing moderation in play?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Liku posted:

Maybe there's just some sort of amazing moderation in play?

That's what I imagine. I wonder how much money Nintendo is playing to keep crudely drawn penii off of it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey you, this Trine 2 game?
Get it! 20 bucks 3 player coop online or off it don't matter.
Its a beautiful and fun game and a heck of a challenge. It's money well spent.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Looks like Wii Play Motion is $15 at Walmart, which might be an even better deal than Fling Smash at TRU if you need some extra Wii Remote Plus controllers.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=16518428&sourceid=32576464093883692051&veh=aff&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY

sold out online but worth checking your local stores availability... Maybe Amazon will price match?

Ordered. Thanks!

I was thinking about the Toys R Us deal, but I went ahead and grabbed this since I may actually play the game once or twice since I bought the other "Wii" games (Play, Sports Resort, Music, etc) (is Fling Smash any good?).

This will probably be my 6th Wii controller. Original white, another white purchased at Wii release (2006), a third white, a black, a blue Motion Plus, now this one. I'd like to eventually have just Motion Plus controllers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Junkie Disease posted:

Hey you, this Trine 2 game?
Get it! 20 bucks 3 player coop online or off it don't matter.
Its a beautiful and fun game and a heck of a challenge. It's money well spent.

I totally would, except I already have it for the PC :sweatdrop:

Any real differences?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I haven't even got my Wii U yet, but I've managed to convince my wife we need a new TV. All these HDMI cables need to be plugged in somewhere!

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
So far I've only been notified about a NSMBU drawing i did that needed a spoiler tag. Have a few dick references and drawings that seem to be allowed. Maybe they don't screen drawings as much of text. Anyone have issues yet with moderated posts/drawings?

I hope the next logical step would be to allow user created groups in miiverse that would have self moderation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

I dunno man, if you feel so strongly about not encouraging their business practices then why are you giving them your money in the first place?

People also rent, borrow or otherwise play games without giving the company money you know. I actually don't care that much about it but I can't say I'm shocked other people do and being forced to opt out every time you start a game is pretty lovely.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Haruharuharuko posted:

No one really wants their stats collected least of all by Ubisoft as their intrusive and annoying DRM has been an issue for a long time and is only recently being addressed. So anyway we as consumer can stick it to them is a good thing.

No one? I really don't give a poo poo. And in fact, if a company wants my gameplay information, I'll happily give it to them. Why do I care if they know how far I got? Or how many times I died on level 5. If this info helps them make better games in the future, then it's no problem for me.

Not saying if a person wants full privacy they shouldn't get it. There should definitely be a way to permanently opt out of that. But it's weird that you seem to think literally everyone would want to.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah honestly anyone I would trust enough to give my money I would let have anonymous statistics about me. As long as it isn't(and can't) be used to identify me specifically I don't see why I would ever care, at least in the category of companies whom I am giving my business.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Picked up my Wii U a few days ago and I'm enjoying the everloving gently caress out of it so far. I'm trying to split my gameplay between NSMBU, Ninja Gaiden 3, and Warriors Orocohi 3 evenly. I've found myself playing Mario and Warriors a bit more, though.

Does anyone know if the pro controller can be used in lieu of a traditional wii remote for wii games that don't require the motion gimmick? I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, but I would prefer to use a real controller instead of the wiimote if possible.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Unfortunately, Wii games can't recognize any new Wii U controllers like the Pro.

However, a Wii Classic Controller isn't a bad investment even now; that'll work for Xenoblade, and some developers seem quite happy to support it for Wii U games.

EDIT -- Just checking the listings on the eShop, it's actually a little surprising how many Wii U games support the old Classic. Here's some I checked that do:
-Call of Duty
-Warriors Orochi
-Trine 2
-Sonic Racing Transformed
-Tekken
-Skylanders
-Nano Assault Neo

I suppose that's because its layout is so functionally similar to the Gamepad. It's good news for multiplayer, being cheaper than the Pro and all.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 25, 2012

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

Unfortunately, Wii games can't recognize any new Wii U controllers like the Pro.

However, a Wii Classic Controller isn't a bad investment even now; that'll work for Xenoblade, and some developers seem quite happy to support it for Wii U games.

Sounds good. I'll have to get out tomorrow and pick that up. Thanks, dude. :)

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Dealing with all the controller nonsense is the most annoying part of this console right now. The system needs some standardization to follow. I was hoping to move away from wii controllers completely because then im not dealing with batteries.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Someone should make an HTML5 game/interactive gimmick for the Wii U.

Speaking of achievements, a generalized Treasure Hunt from Kid Icarus: Uprising would be pretty cool. Naturally, the rule of thumb is that there is nothing that always works for every game, but I guess it could work. It'd be more interactive and rewarding, and it wouldn't be that hard to pull off. Just some coordinates for every achievement, and a picture.
However, if Nintendo doesn't it implement now, I doubt they'll do it later. That or they're currently working on it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Joink posted:

Dealing with all the controller nonsense is the most annoying part of this console right now. The system needs some standardization to follow. I was hoping to move away from wii controllers completely because then im not dealing with batteries.

Nintendo kind of wriggled into a tough spot for their controller types. It was a good decision to support the primary controller from the original Wii, but there also needed to be a controller that matched the Gamepad's layout.

It's really going to be up to developers. If every game supports as many controller options as it reasonably can, the hassle factor should stay low.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just sunk a few more hours into trine 2
Co op works great. The gamepad is a charm on this game.
I also have trine 2 on Pc but grabbed this for an easier time having multiplayer in the living room.
Helping the wii u's brand new indie scene can't hurt ether.
This runs without a hitch on the system and the extra levels and the new mode can't hurt ether.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Joink posted:

Agreed completely. If a game can be mapped for the GamePad to use, why can't it be mapped for the Wii U Pro? They're practically the exact same layout. For any game to not support that just seems a little strange to me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Junkie Disease posted:

Just sunk a few more hours into trine 2
Co op works great. The gamepad is a charm on this game.
I also have trine 2 on Pc but grabbed this for an easier time having multiplayer in the living room.
Helping the wii u's brand new indie scene can't hurt ether.
This runs without a hitch on the system and the extra levels and the new mode can't hurt ether.

When you talk about extra levels, is it the DLC that got released on PC or is it exclusive stuff?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo kind of wriggled into a tough spot for their controller types. It was a good decision to support the primary controller from the original Wii, but there also needed to be a controller that matched the Gamepad's layout.

It's really going to be up to developers. If every game supports as many controller options as it reasonably can, the hassle factor should stay low.
This is the first system I didn't feel screwed into purchasing more expensive controllers just so I can play multiplayer games right out of the gate.
I can't state the amount of goodwill and love that pours outta me when I don't have to retire everything I have of the wii.
Kudos Nintendo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

EDIT -- Just checking the listings on the eShop, it's actually a little surprising how many Wii U games support the old Classic. Here's some I checked that do:
-Call of Duty
-Warriors Orochi
-Trine 2
-Sonic Racing Transformed
-Tekken
-Skylanders
-Nano Assault Neo

I suppose that's because its layout is so functionally similar to the Gamepad. It's good news for multiplayer, being cheaper than the Pro and all.

Oh, excellent! Thanks for sharing this. :woop:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Can anyone confirm if Doodle or Die works in the browser?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

horriblePencilist posted:

Why has nobody thought of this yet

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Bland posted:

Why has nobody thought of this yet

I was too busy wondering whether the HTML5 port of Spelunky would work, possibly needing a USB keyboard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Joink posted:

So far I've only been notified about a NSMBU drawing i did that needed a spoiler tag. Have a few dick references and drawings that seem to be allowed. Maybe they don't screen drawings as much of text. Anyone have issues yet with moderated posts/drawings?

I hope the next logical step would be to allow user created groups in miiverse that would have self moderation.

I was stuck on the first mission of AC3 where you shoot the barrels. Couldn't move or fire, posted a screenshot to ask what I was doing wrong. (I just wasn't aiming at the exact right spot) and it was moderated for "strategic or spoiler content" which I rolled my eyes at a little. But apparently the first character is a secret or something? I dunno, you start playing him within five minutes.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

greatn posted:

I was stuck on the first mission of AC3 where you shoot the barrels. Couldn't move or fire, posted a screenshot to ask what I was doing wrong. (I just wasn't aiming at the exact right spot) and it was moderated for "strategic or spoiler content" which I rolled my eyes at a little. But apparently the first character is a secret or something? I dunno, you start playing him within five minutes.

Nice going not adding a spoilertag, now I know there's gonna be barrels.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fortis posted:

I needed a break this holiday weekend, and I was lucky enough to snag a Wii U on Tuesday, and it has made my vacation. NSMBU is great and Nintendo Land is more fun than I imagined it had any right to be. I'm also impressed with Miiverse, and love drawing for basically everything I post, so if you like dumb Nintendo-related scribblings you can add fortis I guess!

I'm also pretty stoked to have gotten a Wii U early on because I was actually able to getting username I want on a service like this. :v:

Well, mister fortis, I would love to add you, but somebody doesn't have his Friend requests enabled. :colbert:

The OP of this thread has details on how to set that up. And you should add yourself there while you're at it!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Revol posted:

The most shocking thing about Miiverse is that the general population is pretty chill. I would have expected it to be overrun with bozos, but it isn't.

The only people with Wii U's at the moment are the enthusiasts that had the disposable cash on hand. By and large, these are young adults with a certain degree of maturity. Just wait until after Christmas when it gets flooded by the 15 and under crowd. Then it will become the Gamefaqsian cesspool of poo poo we were all expecting.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait until someone invents a "Wiipeater", a repeater that takes the wireless signal sending the video information to the Wii U gamepad so that I may play New Super Mario Bros. Wii U while on a different floor of my house. Someone will probably hack a Linksys router to do this soon enough.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZarquonHigardi posted:

I believe you'll get a survey in your to-do list about a week or so after completing the Wii U survey itself. At least, that's what I remember reading at the top when I did the survey...

I better still get the bonus coins :colbert:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I can't wait until someone invents a "Wiipeater", a repeater that takes the wireless signal sending the video information to the Wii U gamepad so that I may play New Super Mario Bros. Wii U while on a different floor of my house. Someone will probably hack a Linksys router to do this soon enough.

Or maybe someone will hack the whole thing so you can stream a game via the internet.
Imagine you pulling out a Wii U Gamepad at a Starbucks and playing NSMBU.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the screen automatically disables if it detects latency, the kind you get when increase range.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Almost Smart posted:

Then it will become the Gamefaqsian cesspool of poo poo

Do you think Tank! Tank! Tank! or YourShape Fitness will be the abandoned community filled with pedophiles five years from now?

Gonna pick up Darksiders II this week, can't wait. Though I read they foolishly did not implement the skill trees or the detailed map on the tablet like they were talking about, what a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

Just confirmed, seems to work when we previewed it without logging into anything. Submitted a drawing and guessed one.

• Locked thread