Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^
Ah, that makes more sense.

Rhymenoserous posted:

If you had read Night Watch (The best book in the series by the way) you'd even know a few lines of it.

I knew it existed in the books, what I meant was I never knew someone had actually written music for it and performed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

The anthem is on youtube for anyone who wants to hear it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqCbOJc6RU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

An interview in the AV Club with Pratchett.

quote:

The main reason I wrote Dodger was that as an adolescent, I read London Labour And The London Poor, and that’s great source material. It doesn’t matter if dragons are flying overhead or whatever—a lot of Victoriana is still cut in the frame of fantasy. I was talking to various people, and said, “Do you know about London Labour And The London Poor? “No, no, no, no.” Mayhew, he talked to everybody. He wrote it all down. And you see the level of privation for these people. Nobody in the United States could live that way, even slaves. But people forget.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey all, the newest Pratchett book I've read was (I think) Monstrous Regiment in 2004 or 5. My favorite one I've read is definitely Men at Arms, any newer ones about Vimes etc?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

field balm posted:

Hey all, the newest Pratchett book I've read was (I think) Monstrous Regiment in 2004 or 5. My favorite one I've read is definitely Men at Arms, any newer ones about Vimes etc?

Oh man, you haven't read Night Watch yet. I wish I could read Night Watch for the first time...

Thud! is also really fun.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

field balm posted:

Vimes is a main character in (chronologically) Night Watch, Thud!, and Snuff.

NW is considered the best. Thud is decent, not quite NW's level. Snuff gets very very mixed reviews.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Awesome, I will grab NW this afternoon. Thanks!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jesto posted:

Has there been a single child of an author who has successfully written books for their parent's world to the expectations of the fans? Honest question, I can't tell.
Christopher Awdry*, maybe?

* son of the Reverend Wilbert Awdry, creator of The Railway Series/Thomas The Tank Engine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I'm reading I Shall Wear Midnight again, and did anyone else feel giving Tiffany a love interest that fits her perfectly sort of clashes with the subversion of not getting Roland? It kind of spoils that subplot retroactively.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

field balm posted:

Awesome, I will grab NW this afternoon. Thanks!

There's a few other books in-between Men at Arms and Night Watch that have Vimes in them, you may want to check them out too. Feet of Clay, Jingo, and The Fifth Elephant. Everyone loves Night Watch so much that I think they forget how awesome all the other ones are, too.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Jingo and fifth elephant are at least as good as night watch, but I never liked feet of clay that much.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Feet of Clay is one of my favourites, but I was never all that hot on Jingo. :)

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

YggiDee posted:

Feet of Clay is one of my favourites, but I was never all that hot on Jingo. :)

Sam Vimes tries to stop the crime of war and there's Nobby and Fred Colon and the Patrician scenes. Nobby and Fred and Vetinari together. How the gently caress can you not love the book?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

New book news: Turtle Recall (the new Companion) and The Compleat Guide To Ankh-Morpork are now out.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

field balm posted:

Uh there have been a lot and these guys are going to have you reading them way out of order so you are going to be missing some important "Promotions" as well as several new bits of discworld technology, and some characters. If I'm not mistaken it goes Guards Guards > Men At Arms > Jingo > Feet of Clay > The Fifth Elephant > Night Watch > Thud > Snuff.

All of them outstanding though I thought snuff was a bit weak (It may just be that I'm sad that Sam Vimes is starting to get old and it may be his last book, I need more Vimes)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know, I felt like a lot of Jingo just went over my head, the way Wyrd Sisters makes more sense after you've read Macbeth and Hamlet, and Unseen Academicals with soccer. Apparently Jingo made a lot of references to the Gulf War and the JFK assassination? I never learned much past Canadian History back in high school, so I'm working on it.

(Also Feet of Clay is before Jingo)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Apparently Jingo made a lot of references to the Gulf War and the JFK assassination?

JFK, certainly. The guy everyone thinks is the assassin is himself assassinated before he can be interrogated, there's a "second bowman", and Carrot gets key information about the second assassin from a small troll covered in plants. The informant is a grassy gnoll.

The Gulf War I see no connection to beyond the war involving a desert country, but I may be missing something.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

and Carrot gets key information about the second assassin from a small troll covered in plants. The informant is a grassy gnoll.

Goddammit.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Jingo is even better because it's 20 years old AND THE SOCIAL COMMENTARY IS STILL RELEVANT, POSSIBLY MORESO TODAY.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

YggiDee posted:

Apparently Jingo made a lot of references to the Gulf War and the JFK assassination?
(Also Feet of Clay is before Jingo)

More directly to the Falklands (with the island, and with the collapse of the "enemy" leader immediately afterwards), but generally to all wars fought ostensibly over tiny scraps of land, but really over nationalism and pride. It also heavily references the Middle Eastern theater of WWI, the Cold War from a cynical perspective, the War of Jenkin's Ear, and most directly the hostilities over the island of Ferdinandea, which rose from the depths and sank again within six months.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jedit posted:

Carrot gets key information about the second assassin from a small troll covered in plants. The informant is a grassy gnoll.

Agggggh, how did I miss that?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Agggggh, how did I miss that?

It usually warms the cockles of my black, twisted heart to see people do that, but in this case I'm pretty sure it was said in the book.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Jedit posted:

It usually warms the cockles of my black, twisted heart to see people do that, but in this case I'm pretty sure it was said in the book.

Nope. Mentions that it's a gnoll, mentions the plant matter growing on it, and leaves it there, hanging.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The best reference is the reference to Vetinaris's rivals, the Venturi and Selachi(i). That is the epitome of Did Not Get It Gold. I didn't get it until this thread and kudos to those who did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rejutka posted:

The best reference is the reference to Vetinaris's rivals, the Venturi and Selachi(i). That is the epitome of Did Not Get It Gold. I didn't get it until this thread and kudos to those who did.

In fairness, the Venturi reference is both obscure and a pretty big reach.

(For those who still don't get it, the Venturi effect is what causes water to accelerate when constricted. Combined with the taxonomical meaning of "Selachii", Vetinari's rival families become the Sharks and the Jets.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 22, 2012

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

rejutka posted:

the Venturi and Selachii

Holy poo poo :aaa:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just groaned audibly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Holy poo poo.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Every year someone posts the Venturi/Selachi thing and every year there's at least a few people who haven't hears it and simultaneously have their minds blown and also grunt in physical pain from the awful Dad-joke that it is, I love it.

Regarding The Watch books, Jingo was better the second time I read it, as was Feet of Clay. The Fifth Elephant was way worse and Night Watch is still one of the only books that I tear up over.

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

In fairness, the Venturi reference is both obscure and a pretty big reach.

(For those who still don't get it, the Venturi effect is what causes water to accelerate when constricted. Combined with the taxonomical meaning of "Selachii", Vetinari's rival families become the Sharks and the Jets.)

I.. still don't get it. Is it some kind of sports reference?

On the subject of lines that get you every time, I've always liked the footnote about Fingers Mazda, who stole fire from the gods*.

*It was too hot to fence. He really got burned on that deal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chaos Sonic posted:

On the subject of lines that get you every time, I've always liked the footnote about Fingers Mazda, who stole fire from the gods*.

*It was too hot to fence. He really got burned on that deal.

Try West Side Story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chaos Sonic posted:

Then there's the terrible thief who planned to steal fire from the Gods in the present day, reckoning that as the secret of fire was thousands of years old it would be worth more as an antique.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Darth Walrus posted:

Try West Side Story.

I, too, wasn't quite up on my 1960s play/movie references, but it's a nice one as far as they go.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
*lit: "child of the Djel"

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I never got that one until this thread because I never tried saying it aloud. Can't forget 12.5% either.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
It took me 15 years to figure out what reflect-sounds-of-underground-spirits* from The Colour of Magic meant, and even then I needed a clue from someone else. I spent ages trying to puzzle what it meant.

*echo-gnome-ics = economics for anyone else similarly confused.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I'm re-reading Night Watch right now and oh my god it's so loving good. I haven't read it since it first came out.

Feet of Clay is GREAT, too. Heathens.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Just finished Nation. drat, this may be my second-favorite Pratchett book now (Good Omens being the first)!

It's not ha-ha funny, but it's thoughtful, poignant, and came at me utterly from left field.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Concurred posted:

Feet of Clay is GREAT, too. Heathens.

Heck yes, it's my favorite Watch book. It's probably one of my favorite Discworld books actually. I can't read it without tearing up, it's just really sad and moving in places.

THOU SHALT NOT KILL! CLAY OF MY CLAY. SHAME. SORROW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been re-reading the Guards books in order for the last couple of weeks, also really enjoying Feet of Clay right now. I've read The Fifth Elephant so many times I'm thinking of skipping it as I haven't re-read Thud and Snuff too many times yet (and I'd never miss reading Night Watch a 10 millionth time).

I actually re-read Moving Pictures not so long ago, it was good remembering where Gaspode came from and I think I picked up a lot more references than I did in the distant past on my first read. I think I'll try Pyramids after the Guards series again, and Soul Music is another I've barely re-read.