Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This seems to validate my view that controller choice is based more on preference than actual need. I quite enjoyed the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy with mouse and keyboard.

Games designed with full analog movement in mind objectively benefit from controller use.

That said, there's really nothing stopping developers from making beat-em-ups that aren't designed with full axis movement in mind, but nobody ever does. :smith:

Well, except the Zeno Clash guys, but as awesome as ZC was I'd say the gameplay model still needs some kinks worked out.

Sober posted:

Something like Super Meat Boy, the differences are crazy (since they make you use shift + space or something on kb).

Super Meat Boy on the other hand has 100% digital controls and it literally makes no difference what you use once you get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's more the fact that a gamepad is more comfortable if you're going to grind out the stages with SMB. Well, rebinding will do the trick but I can't think of anything else, but my fingers felt hosed up with how I position it (pinky on shift) for hours at a time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd say the main games that are objectively better with a gamepad are Dark Souls and anything involving piloting a vehicle of some sort. Beyond that it's less objective.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
What do you guys use to clean your LCDs? I'm finding conflicting advice about whether white vinegar is best or will ruin my screen and what kind of cloth to use.
Up until now i've just been using dry soft tissue paper but apparently this is bad.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

What do you guys use to clean your LCDs? I'm finding conflicting advice about whether white vinegar is best or will ruin my screen and what kind of cloth to use.
Up until now i've just been using dry soft tissue paper but apparently this is bad.

The rule I've heard with LCDs is not to use anything with wood in it (i.e. paper) to clean it.

Something like a microfiber cloth is best, but basically a moist rag would be better even.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Use a microfiber cloth - I always have a few because they're handy for cleaning lots of stuff - gently dampened with water. Don't soak it or anything. I use a spray bottle on the cloth and then lightly wipe the screen. Works well on all my screens.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

What :psyduck:

A soft cotton cloth moistened with regular water should do the trick.
E: Or microfiber if you want to get fancy, yeah.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I use 50% isopropyl, does the trick.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
50/50 mix of white vinegar and water and a microfiber for me. Dampen the cloth with the solution, and gently clean monitor. Wipe dry gently with a second microfiber cloth.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't make your monitor smell like salad dressing?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Why wouldn't you want your monitor smelling like salad dressing? :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I seriously just use a damp rag.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

VogeGandire posted:

I seriously just use a damp rag.

There's nothing wrong with that, you won't hurt it. (Though it's better to do it turned off.)

The reason microfiber is recommended is because other fabrics can pill or leave stuff behind on the screen more easily, but if the rag works for you that's fine.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What would you guys think about a Westinghouse 40" 120hz TV for the job?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ularg posted:

What would you guys think about a Westinghouse 40" 120hz TV for the job?

Westinghouse makes some pretty mediocre TVs overall. Not many great reviews out there for them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

macnbc posted:

Westinghouse makes some pretty mediocre TVs overall. Not many great reviews out there for them.

I see, I found this one on sale for around $300 so I thought I'd ask. What brands would you recommend? Also I think it's time to also start looking at the build your own PC thread for more information.

edit:

The size just appeared in my head. Wow, I'm dumb. I'm completely happy with my 26"

Vvv

Ularg fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 26, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You want to use a 40 inch TV as you computer monitor? What?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Do yourself a favor, bust out some measuring tape to 40 inches and hold it at the right diagonal for a 16:9 display. Yeah, you don't want that at your desk.

You definitely should look at the monitors thread in SH/SC.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Do yourself a favor, bust out some measuring tape to 40 inches and hold it at the right diagonal for a 16:9 display. Yeah, you don't want that at your desk.

Humph.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God bless Gabe and all but if you have to move your head at all when using your PC then your display is too large or too close. Notice how he has the UI stuff in the middle.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gaben is a special snowflake and I would never question the way he plays WoW.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Everyone who ever played wow or any RPG with a customizable UI and isn't an utter moron moved their UI to the center of the screen.

Also at the time that picture was taken Gabe's eyes were completely hosed to poo poo and he probably needed to use a TV as a monitor to see anything.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012

notZaar posted:

It doesn't make your monitor smell like salad dressing?

Not really no. Vinegar is awesome for cleaning most anything. So long as you wipe it dry there's really no smell left over. I did all the keys on my board with it a few weeks ago to. Though that was more me sperging about my board then really something any sane person would need to do.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

When you're a Gaben you can do whatever you like. For now, nobody should use a 40" TV as their monitor. I had a 28" monitor for a few years and even that was too big, I had to move my head to see things in the margins.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
I have a 27 or 28 inch monitor, can't remember for sure and too lazy to measure, that I use from around half a meter away and love it. The 23" next to it seems tiny. Higher resolution would be nice though, if only all the 2560xX monitors weren't so horribly expensive.

Edit: 40" from this distance would be ridiculous though.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I use my living room TV as a monitor which is 42" inches and play from the couch and its awesome, so I don't know what ya'll are talking about.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Quatrefoil posted:

I have a 27 or 28 inch monitor, can't remember for sure and too lazy to measure, that I use from around half a meter away and love it. The 23" next to it seems tiny. Higher resolution would be nice though, if only all the 2560xX monitors weren't so horribly expensive.

Edit: 40" from this distance would be ridiculous though.

Check out the 27" 2560x1440 Korean monitors on Ebay. They are awesome and cost like $350-400. I use two at work and can't even think about going back to anything less than 2560xX.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Porkchop Express posted:

I use my living room TV as a monitor which is 42" inches and play from the couch and its awesome, so I don't know what ya'll are talking about.

Yeah, from the couch, not from a foot away.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

bunky posted:

Yeah, from the couch, not from a foot away.

Well yeah I reckon that would make a heck of a difference.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

fookolt posted:

Check out the 27" 2560x1440 Korean monitors on Ebay. They are awesome and cost like $350-400. I use two at work and can't even think about going back to anything less than 2560xX.

I'm guessing there'll be tons of options by the time I've got any money to spend on a monitor, thanks for the tip anyway though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Porkchop Express posted:

I'm curious how you have the keyboard and mouse set up without a desk. Coffee table? That'd kill my back leaning forward like that :( Sounds an interesting idea, though, I've got a bigscreen that playing Planetside 2 would be a hoot on.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I play on a couch cause I don't have a desk, just a table. I use a trackball and keep the keyboard on my lap. It does concern me that I'm going to give myself carpal tunnel or something if I do this over an extended period of time.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

It depends on the game. In our living room we have the dining room table sitting right behind it, so in more casual games I will sort of sit at an angle and use the table for the mouse and put the keyboard in my lap. This works fine for simpler games but on things that require more than the most basic of controls I will usually take one of the couch cushions and put it on the floor, and then slide the table up to me so I don't have to lean forward.

I had tried just sitting directly on the floor for a while but after doing that for a few days it killed my back, so the seat cushion method has been working much better for me.

Ideally having a computer chair I could slide over and getting one of those little desks that clips on to it would be ideal, but I don't want to clutter up the living room, and that just seems a little too nerdy to me.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!
When I only had my plasma screen as my main display, I had a folding table that you could adjust the height that I bought at Zellers or something for like 20 bucks, I would just fold it up and throw it behind the couch when I wasn't using it so it didn't clutter up the living room. It was a surprisingly workable solution, you could pull the table really close so you didn't have to hunch over it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I would just try to get a TV tray or something, but my couch sits so far back I would either have to sit forward with no back support, or stretch my arms to their limit to reach it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What about this thing http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Entertainment-Wireless-Keyboard-Lapboard/dp/B00492C1FM

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
I got one of these for my laptop and it works nicely on the couch:

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Comput...top+desk+bamboo

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah I have been thinking about one of those, but honestly the whole putting a couch cushion on the ground thing has worked out pretty ok so far. Plus on some games the text can be so small that sitting on the couch makes it a little hard to read, whereas sitting in front of the couch puts me just close enough to make it readable.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

fookolt posted:

I 2nd this. I got a 27" IPS 1440p Catleap for $330 shipped. Best $300 I ever spent. Be sure to budget in a new video card with one of these. Running at 1440p kills your FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Those things are supposed to be absolutely terrible.

There are literally no decent lapboard solutions out there. I've been looking for one for so long now that I've basically resigned myself to having to build one out of wood. I think I may go for a simple lathed top with some fold out legs on the bottom so it doesn't have to rest right on my legs.

• Locked thread