Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JackMackerel posted:

There was an attempt to source port Blood a while back, was there any more info on it or did it go dead? I vaguely recall the Blood creators giving it their blessing.

It's still under construction, although work seems to be focussing mostly on the Daggerfall mode at the moment. The Dark Forces mode is already playable.

I really hope he releases the source code, I'm worried that life will eat him and the project will die. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ToxicFrog posted:

It's still under construction, although work seems to be focussing mostly on the Daggerfall mode at the moment. The Dark Forces mode is already playable.

I really hope he releases the source code, I'm worried that life will eat him and the project will die. :ohdear:

I've kinda stopped waiting for this. An open source beta was supposed to happen for New Year's Day 2011 or 2010...

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You can use the $DOOMWADDIR environment variable to set WAD directories that most source ports will look in automatically. Makes things easy to organize and saves on having a separate set of IWADs for every port.

The reduced clutter from keeping WADs and source ports separate also means that it's less of a big deal to keep the WADs and text files together in case you forget what something is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Thief Collection is 75% off on Steam for the next six hours or so.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cat Mattress posted:

All the best demos are going to be on the DSDA.

Is there a way to nicely chain together watching the best speed run of each level sequentially?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Gotta admit I kinda like this trend in the community of making everything as retarded as possible now

Whatdafuck.wad:nws: set the bar impossibly high.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Is there a way to nicely chain together watching the best speed run of each level sequentially?
Short of encoding each run into a youtube video and making a playlist, no. You can't stick together multiple demos into one large demo file because they would desynch.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Speaking of retarded wads, anyone got a good list of jokewads? i have played through all the nuts.wads and sky may be and so forth, but i always enjoy really bad/weird wads more than average normal megawads.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yoink! Thanks for this!

Important: How well do these work on modern systems?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Yoink! Thanks for this!

They work fine for me, you might want to grab some texture packs and such for the first one, and I think there's a tool for Thief 2 that sets up mods and textures for you now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mak0rz posted:

Yoink! Thanks for this!

There was a new patch for the Thief games a few months ago that makes it work on modern systems flawlessly. Just install this bad boy and you shouldn't have any problems. Also going to reiterate that Thief 2 has a massive following of mappers that create awesome levels for it. It reminds me a lot of Doom just for the sheer scale of how many missions exist for it, and the fact that people are still making innovative things with it even today.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

So, yeah. This kind of rules.

The last screenshot reminds me of Fallout 2 for some reason I can't place my finger on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What mod is that?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Convex posted:

What mod is that?

It is Eduke32 running with the HRP and Polymer. Pretty sure you can get everything you need here: http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the link. Have given it a try, getting some pretty bad performance though. Is this a general thing with using Polymer?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Convex posted:

Thanks for the link. Have given it a try, getting some pretty bad performance though. Is this a general thing with using Polymer?

Not a clue in the world. It's kicking rear end on my iMac, windowed/fullscreen at 1920x1200.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

Yes, especially if your hardware doesn't have good optimization for OpenGL. (Intel and ATI tend to focus more on DirectX when writing their drivers.)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't know how it looks in motion but that's the first I've seen of a 3Dified Duke3D that doesn't look like rear end.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

I get better performance with the Version 4 series of HRP, even with Polymost enabled. Anything in Version 5 + Polymer enabled takes a big, hearty poo poo on performance.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh you kids and your polygons... :allears:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Oh you kids and your polygons... :allears:

Who you calling kid. This is the first Duke Nukem I played:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I don't know how it looks in motion but that's the first I've seen of a 3Dified Duke3D that doesn't look like rear end.

Still looks like rear end to me, then again I adore me some pixels, I wish there were a good modern Quake port that didn't filter the textures at all.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Fitzquake, Quakespasm, and probably DirectQ: gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR

And if you're really picky: r_particles 2

Edit: http://www.quaddicted.com/engines/software_vs_glquake

VVV And another happy customer!

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 25, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

Fitzquake, Quakespasm, and probably DirectQ: gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR

I love you so much right now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have to admit, it does look better without the texture filtering. It's hard for me to explain why, I guess mainly it's because the texture filtering just makes things look blurry.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have to admit, it does look better without the texture filtering. It's hard for me to explain why, I guess mainly it's because the texture filtering just makes things look blurry.
I completely agree. Every classic game I play I turn off texture filtering to every extent that I can. But once you start adding bump mapping into the picture it's not that simple.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

FitzQuake is no longer updated but Quakespasm uses fitz code as a base. You can also run quakespasm in fitz mode by using -fitz in the command line.

In that comparison he has a screenshot of a map "starkmon" which I decided to play. Its pretty good.

Stark Monstrosity

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 25, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

In my experience, turning on anything Polymer sends performance completely to poo poo even on a high-end gaming machine. Enabling 3d models seems to be a performance hit completely out of proportion to the number and complexity of the models involved, too.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can someone suggest some old school fpses like SS2 or DOOM that have multiplayer or co op over lan to play with friends?

SS2 is pretty boring so far. I'd like to hear some other suggestions for co-opable fps games. Nothing more recent than SWAT 4 ought to run on all our computers.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Polymer runs well for me, but I have a very modern desktop.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Can someone suggest some old school fpses like SS2 or DOOM that have multiplayer or co op over lan to play with friends?

SS2 is pretty boring so far. I'd like to hear some other suggestions for co-opable fps games. Nothing more recent than SWAT 4 ought to run on all our computers.

What does SS2 stand for here? Serious Sam 2? Or Serious Sam Second Encounter? If the former, then I'd recommend trying Second Encounter... my group enjoys it.

Left 4 Dead (1 or 2) might be a little out of your hardware range, but maybe not; it's surprisingly scalable.

Descent 2 perhaps?

It possible to do Quake co-op, especially using newer engines, but out-of-the-box that is a bit easy and janky. We've used a mod on a local QuakeWorld server to improve things; I'll dig that up later and edit it in here. It's not got a lot of long-term playability but it's good for a laugh. (Of course Quake/QuakeWorld is good for "normal" competitive multiplayer, as long as no one gets really offended when they lose 50 to 0.)

We probably spend most of our FPS time playing Quake 3, and most of that in Rocket Arena.

Edit: For the QW co-op we used mvdsv (as the server binary) with the exCoop mod: http://goqsane.info/coop/

JLaw fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 25, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Anything that runs in gzDoom can be played co-op, I think - not just Doom, but also Heretic, Hexen, Strife, and so forth.

All of the Marathon games have co-op via Aleph One, and I believe most of the fan-made campaigns like Rubicon support co-op as well.

Half-Life has Sven Co-Op, which lets you play through the main game in co-op and also has a lot of fan-made co-op campaigns (although many of them are poo poo).

Descent Rebirth supports co-op in both D1 and D2.

I'm told that Unreal supports co-op via mods, but have never tried it myself.

quote:

SS2 is pretty boring so far.

What is it like, not having a soul? Does it hurt?

Johnny Law posted:

What does SS2 stand for here? Serious Sam 2? Or Serious Sam Second Encounter? If the former, then I'd recommend trying Second Encounter... my group enjoys it.

I assumed System Shock 2.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Reive posted:

Still looks like rear end to me, then again I adore me some pixels, I wish there were a good modern Quake port that didn't filter the textures at all.

There used to be a project to convert all the Duke 3D HRP models into voxel format to more fit the game's style and give it more of a Shadow Warrior appearance (SW had voxel models for pickups). Not sure what happened to it but I miss it :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reive posted:

You can turn off the texture filtering in Doom ports to preserve the grainy look, can't you do the same in Quake ports?

Johnny Law posted:

VVV And another happy customer!

Welp!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

There used to be a project to convert all the Duke 3D HRP models into voxel format to more fit the game's style and give it more of a Shadow Warrior appearance (SW had voxel models for pickups). Not sure what happened to it but I miss it :(

It's on their downloads page. http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php, and search for 'voxel'.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Kind of a silly request, but anyone remember how to make brutal doom run in steam with the time tracking and all the usual features? I remember having to edit some stuff, but when I launched doom2 through the standard steam install of the game, it would automatically go to brutal doom rather than dosbox

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

WHOIS John Galt posted:

It's on their downloads page. http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php, and search for 'voxel'.

Was this actually completed? The last I knew it was half-finished.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is it fairly possible to make custom WADs with, say, all of a given designer's maps for Doom or Doom II? It would make it easier for me to get a better idea of some of the more famous designers' maps by playing them all in one go, I'd think. Are these available anywhere, I wonder?

For instance, "Dr. Sleep" has 8 or 9 maps that he calls 'cantos' which are spread over a few different releases.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
It's very possible. All you have to do is open each of the maps in SLADE3, then make a new .WAD file, copy the maps into it, and then rename them in whatever sequence you want to play them. You can even make a MAPINFO lump with proper level names and custom skies and music and whatever if you're playing with (G)ZDoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Make sure you copy over all the lumps for a given map, though. Generally a pre-ZDoom map will look like this in SLADE3's lump list:
pre:
MAP01
THINGS
LINEDEFS
SIDEDEFS
VERTEXES
SEGS
SSECTORS
NODES
SECTORS
REJECT
BLOCKMAP
You can rename "MAP01" to whatever you want as Tony said, but everything underneath it needs to be intact.