Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Oops. Somehow I thought the official case had a wake feature. Learned something new today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is there an Otterbox or other more rugged-like case yet for the Nexus 7? I feel like it's getting ignored.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Can someone with a Nexus 10 post some screenshots of the iHeartRadio app? I want to see how bad it looks since there is no tablet version.
Bonus points if Pandora/rdio/Spotify do have a tablet version.

I still haven't seen a Nexus 10 in stores (I'd like to it first hands before buying)

sleepyinsomniac
Jun 18, 2004
zzzzz

The Merkinman posted:

Can someone with a Nexus 10 post some screenshots of the iHeartRadio app? I want to see how bad it looks since there is no tablet version.
Bonus points if Pandora/rdio/Spotify do have a tablet version.

I still haven't seen a Nexus 10 in stores (I'd like to it first hands before buying)

http://nexus10apps.tumblr.com/post/36535234073/iheartradio

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
So, any chances of the Nexus 7 getting a cyber monday deal somewhere? Worth a shot I guess.. If not I'll just go to Office Depot or something.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Ooh thanks, I see there is also Pandora there, albeit during browsing but still just as bad.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Geektox posted:

So the general consensus is that 4.2 is pretty poo poo right? Is there anyway for me to get rid of the notification that tells me to update every 5 minutes?

Yup it seems 4.2 is pretty poo poo on everything except the N4, I don't think there is an easy way to decline the update for more than a couple hours. Too bad Google let 4.2 get out when everyone is doing reviews of the N7/N10 because it seems really bad (laggy, and crashing) compared to 4.1.2 at least on the N7 and Galaxy Nexus.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 25, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Moving along! What's the current story with the Nexus 7 screen-lifting business? I noticed mine starting to lift a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't really bother me at first, but I've noticed it seems to have worsened. I don't want to agonise over it, but since it has gotten worse I figure I may as well seek exchange/repair while I'm within warranty. My question is, was the screen-lift indeed an early-batch issue as people were originally speculating, or is it just an unfortunate flaw in the design and it is to be expected across all batches?

This post is a few days old, but my brand new 32GB N7 (sn: CA0K...) has developed this issue. The screen has lifted just enough to be level with the silver frame. We're talking something like .5mm, but I bought the drat thing yesterday so that doesn't make me feel any better. Asus :argh:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Stick100 posted:

Yup it seems 4.2 is pretty poo poo on everything except the N4, I don't think there is an easy way to decline the update for more than a couple hours. Too bad Google let 4.2 get out when everyone is doing reviews of the N7/N10 because it seems really bad (laggy, and crashing) compared to 4.1.2 at least on the N7 and Galaxy Nexus.

It seems to me that the upgrade process was part of the issue. When I did the upgrade on mine from 4.1.2 to 4.2, I was having all kinds of problems (hot restarts, apps not saving state/settings, etc).

After a while of loving around with it, I flashed the full release version of 4.2 and everything has been running smoothly ever since.

RhoanAegis
Dec 2, 2007
Does anyone have any thoughts about the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1? I was playing with one in Best Buy the other day and found the S-Pen pretty nice. I've been trying to go paperless at work, but I find I still need a notepad to scribble ideas on. I have tried this on an IPad, but styluses don't work so well due to a variety of reasons. When I was using the S-Note app, it appeared as though it turned off (or ignored) regular finger touches and the S-Pen was much more precise than anything I've tried on the IPad.

Just from the few minutes I was using it, it felt like an ideal solution, but I don't want to dump $500 on a new tablet if it's a piece of junk hardware wise.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Best Buy has the Asus Transformer TF300T for $279 this week. Anyone have one and care to give their opinion on it? For a relatively new 10" tablet, I would think its hard to go wrong at that price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RhoanAegis posted:

Just from the few minutes I was using it, it felt like an ideal solution, but I don't want to dump $500 on a new tablet if it's a piece of junk hardware wise.

Other than the stylus, it's just not competitive with the Nexus line. It has the screen resolution of a Nexus 7 for a Nexus 10 size and price.

Edit: In other news, Cyber Monday sale at Amazon has the Kindle Fires new for $129 with coupon "FIREDEAL".

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 26, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Also, 32gb Nexus 7 for $230 (plus free shipping, no taxes outside NJ, ebay bucks, and paypal rebate)

via buydig on ebayhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-ASUS-1B32-32GB-Tablet-Quad-core-Tegra-3-Processor-/310516153769
or
via adorama on ebayhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-ASUS-1B32-32GB-Tablet-Quad-core-Tegra-3-Processor-Black-/370697163246

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The N7 32GB 3G is back in stock on Google Play UK, if anyone is looking for one. They didn't exactly fly off the shelves last time but they did sell out after a few hours so you may want to grab one now if you somehow missed out last time.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: In other news, Cyber Monday sale at Amazon has the Kindle Fires new for $129 with coupon "FIREDEAL".

Humm, I returned the first Kindle Fire and was very unimpressed but this new one is "40% faster" and has twice the memory. I seriously doubt these will last past noon today. But this is basically nearly 1/2 price of a N7. $129 total instead of 199+tax which ends up around $220.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

Humm, I returned the first Kindle Fire and was very unimpressed but this new one is "40% faster" and has twice the memory. I seriously doubt these will last past noon today. But this is basically nearly 1/2 price of a N7. $129 total instead of 199+tax which ends up around $220.
Those two devices aren't really comparable though. The $199 N7 has a higher resolution screen, better CPU, double the RAM, double the storage, no adverts on the lockscreen, a better (or at least bigger) app ecosystem, GPS/navigation, NFC. The Fire HD is really the competitor for the N7 (and even then, I'd argue that it has no compelling benefits outside of Amazon's content library).

Don't get me wrong, it's a good deal, but this just seems like a strange comparison to make.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So my Nexus 10 arrived today. First impression was pretty nice (that display!) and everything else seemed to follow up.

Then, during a particular quiet moment in the office, I noticed a hissing sound coming from the left side of the device. It gets quieter when turning up the brightness and louder when turning it down. A quick google search reveals that I'm not the only one having this problem. I've already talked to Google and they will send a replacement, since this is something covered under warranty.

Every one else experiencing something like this?

If that problem gets solved this thing will make me forget my iPad (3rd generation) pretty fast. From the short time it seems like everything I'd want out of a tablet.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 26, 2012

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

seravid posted:

This post is a few days old, but my brand new 32GB N7 (sn: CA0K...) has developed this issue. The screen has lifted just enough to be level with the silver frame. We're talking something like .5mm, but I bought the drat thing yesterday so that doesn't make me feel any better. Asus :argh:

My new 32GB N7 seems ok at the moment, but you guys are freaking me out a little with this. I assume this is covered by warranty, right?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

My new 32GB N7 seems ok at the moment, but you guys are freaking me out a little with this. I assume this is covered by warranty, right?
Correct.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

seravid posted:

My 16gb N7 screen is level and has always been level with the silver frame. I was part of the second wave of preorders from Google after it seems like they addressed that issue.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

AlexF posted:

So my Nexus 10 arrived today. First impression was pretty nice (that display!) and everything else seemed to follow up.

Then, during a particular quiet moment in the office, I noticed a hissing sound coming from the left side of the device. It gets quieter when turning up the brightness and louder when turning it down. A quick google search reveals that I'm not the only one having this problem. I've already talked to Google and they will send a replacement, since this is something covered under warranty.

Every one else experiencing something like this?

If that problem gets solved this thing will make me forget my iPad (3rd generation) pretty fast. From the short time it seems like everything I'd want out of a tablet.

I haven't had that problem and hadn't heard of it yet, so thanks for letting me know about it. So if I hear anything weird like that I can just immediately contact Google instead of wondering what the hell is going on.

I also came from having a third generation iPad and this thing is just amazing, so I agree with you there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

w00tazn posted:

My 16gb N7 screen is level and has always been level with the silver frame. I was part of the second wave of preorders from Google after it seems like they addressed that issue.

The issue still exists, even on the new 32s from Google Play. You just got a lucky one is all.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

w00tazn posted:

Except mine is level on one side only. It has gotten worse, actually, now I can hear a 'pop' sound when pressing down and the whole left side ripples.

I take it the home remedies don't work? Clamping or putting a book on top, that sort of thing. I won't open the tablet, if it gets to that I'll just go to the store and trade it for a new one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

seravid posted:

Except mine is level on one side only. It has gotten worse, actually, now I can hear a 'pop' sound when pressing down and the whole left side ripples.

I take it the home remedies don't work? Clamping or putting a book on top, that sort of thing. I won't open the tablet, if it gets to that I'll just go to the store and trade it for a new one.

Do it now, it's only going to get worse.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

Mine started off with a little bit of movement so I thought I'd just see how it goes. I always inteded to return it but figured I'd at least wait until they had solved the issue. Four months later it now creaks when you push on that side, and sometimes the screen also ripples. It's pretty bad, and sometimes annoying when you use it regularly. I'd definitely recommend doing it as soon as you can, don't wait for it to get worse like mine. I'm just waiting for my 3G model to turn up before I warranty the 16GB.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 26, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Do it now, it's only going to get worse.

Yeah, I think will. I would have already but the store isn't exactly next door, it's a 45 minute drive and since this problem is so common, I fear I'll be trading one defective tablet for another.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

seravid posted:

Yeah, I think will. I would have already but the store isn't exactly next door, it's a 45 minute drive and since this problem is so common, I fear I'll be trading one defective tablet for another.

If it makes you feel any better I have a pre order N7 that doesn't have any lifting problems.

:shrug:

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Stick100 posted:

I don't think there is an easy way to decline the update for more than a couple hours.

If you're rooted, you can change the ro.build.fingerprint in your build.prop to the build string for the new version and it will get rid of the update notification. I set it to:

ro.build.fingerprint=google/nakasi/grouper:4.2/JOP40C/527662:user/release-keys

on my Nexus 7 and I haven't seen it since. As far as I can tell there are no side effects from doing this.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Sorry if this is a dumb question-

I've been wanting to grab an N7 the last few weeks but decided to wait and see if it would drop even cheaper than it already is, but I'm a little concerned about the problems with 4.2. Do N7's ship with 4.1 or do they come updated by default, now?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Witchfinder General posted:

I've been wanting to grab an N7 the last few weeks but decided to wait and see if it would drop even cheaper than it already is, but I'm a little concerned about the problems with 4.2. Do N7's ship with 4.1 or do they come updated by default, now?

Doesn't really matter when you can flash whatever is on this page.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

I just got a N7 from the Play store last week, it came with 4.1.something

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It may not be an issue anyway. A lot of users (weasel words but whatever) seem to have found that doing a factory reset or reflash resolves the issues they were having.

I upgraded my N7 by flashing the 4.2 stock image as soon as it appeared and I've had absolutely no problems with it at all. Could be coincidence, but personally I'd give it a go.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Cool, I guess I'll pick it up later this week. Thanks for the responses.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
I have an Acer A500 right now and I'm thinking about upgrading to a Nexus 10. My concern is that the a500 has some terrible keyboard lag. Do they have that problem ironed out in the 10?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

PyrE posted:

I have an Acer A500 right now and I'm thinking about upgrading to a Nexus 10. My concern is that the a500 has some terrible keyboard lag. Do they have that problem ironed out in the 10?

From the short time I had with the N10 the keyboard doesn't have any lag at all. It's on par or even better than the iPad (which, IMO, had been the golden standard up to this point). So if that's your only concern you should go for it.

App related, but I'll ask here anyway: Is there a tablet specific app for Twitter that doesn't suck? I've tried Plume, Tweetlanes and the official one and neither is really using the space provided. I'm a passive Twitter user. I'm only following people to keep up on news and whatnot. The iOS app was perfect for that. Is there anything that compares?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

To add to this, my N7 32GB 3G just arrived and is running 4.2. The non-3Gs may be different though, since there is no 4.1.2 build available for this at all.

For anyone interested, there is no screen lift. Also the power and volume buttons feel a bit more clicky than on my 16GB, I don't know if that was a deliberate change that they made.

Edit: What the hell is build JVP15S? I've never heard of that one before. And now I'm getting an OTA.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 27, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

AlexF posted:

App related, but I'll ask here anyway: Is there a tablet specific app for Twitter that doesn't suck? I've tried Plume, Tweetlanes and the official one and neither is really using the space provided. I'm a passive Twitter user. I'm only following people to keep up on news and whatnot. The iOS app was perfect for that. Is there anything that compares?

Falcon Pro beta is the most promising (not on Google Play until release of the paid app due to the whole developer twitter token conundrum). If you want a something for your lockscreen/homescreen there's also the pre-existing widget of the same name: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jv.falcon

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
That one looks nice. I'll check it out. Thanks!

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
What is my best option for fixing a Nexus 7 cracked screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

Edit: What the hell is build JVP15S? I've never heard of that one before. And now I'm getting an OTA.

4.2.1 is rolling out today, might be that. Fixes for the People December bug and some Bluetooth fixes.